Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Also, add Jamal Adams and Robbie Anderson the the LONG list of former players under Gase who somehow seem to be instantly more talented the second they leave. Benne articulated something I've been thinking about Gase for a while too which is that he doesn't seem to actually have any love or passion for football. He always looks like he just came down from a three day meth binge and nothing in this world could possibly make him happy
Gase seems like he feels miserable all the time for whatever reason and it reflects in the way he interacts with his players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I guess we have to conclude BOB is the superior "became a head coach on the basis of briefly being the OC to a HOF QB who could audible out of any plays they disliked."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

I guess we have to conclude BOB is the superior "became a head coach on the basis of briefly being the OC to a HOF QB who could audible out of any plays they disliked."

Made me curious about Peyton's other OCs and Tom Moore was basically a lifer huh? Like if you can't get a HC job after coaching Peyton Manning for 12 goddamned years it's because you don't want to.

I mean he was also ancient but I feel like someone would have taken a shot if he'd wanted one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Pretty much. Supposedly the only time he interviewed for a head coaching position was with the Lions in 2006, and they hired Rod Marinelli instead. He’d been their OC for a few years in the mid-90s, notably the 1995 season when they had a really good offense with Scott Mitchell at QB of all things (Herman Moore and Brett Perriman had big years, plus of course Barry Sanders).

I believe Moore also once said that after a certain point he just gave Peyton suggestions and let him do his thing on the field, since peak Peyton was gonna audible and no huddle all over the place and make it work. I know he technically retired for pension purposes before the Colts second Super Bowl trip in ‘09 (Clyde Christensen was technically the OC, in reality it was :manning: by almost every account), but he’s still shown up with Bruce Arians in various places as a consultant.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was Tom Moore the "we don't practice hosed" guy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Tom Moore the "we don't practice hosed" guy

Fellas, if 18 goes down we're hosed, and we don't practice hosed. - Tom Moore

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Peyton was basically his own OC and Tom Moore was just smart enough to know who buttered his bread

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Benne posted:

The Vikings have been putrid so far and Zimmer will be trending in the wrong direction if he can’t get that young defense coached up.

The defense being putrid makes more sense that what's going on with the offense. The defense has the most hope of being better next season assuming everyone comes back and the rookies turn out decent after having a year under their belt. It's the listlessness on offense that confuses me. The O-line is getting no push at all. I wish there was a way to get Mike Tice out of retirement.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Darth Brooks posted:

The defense being putrid makes more sense that what's going on with the offense. The defense has the most hope of being better next season assuming everyone comes back and the rookies turn out decent after having a year under their belt. It's the listlessness on offense that confuses me. The O-line is getting no push at all. I wish there was a way to get Mike Tice out of retirement.

Stefanski was a big deal. The only times that offense has really looked competent during the Zimmer regime was under him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Stefanski's rise coincided with Kubiak taking over as "run game coordinator" if memory serves. There's been debate over who really deserved credit

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Kalli posted:

Fellas, if 18 goes down we're hosed, and we don't practice hosed. - Tom Moore

It's a perfect football quote and if Moore is remembered for one thing that's a good one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stefanski's rise coincided with Kubiak taking over as "run game coordinator" if memory serves. There's been debate over who really deserved credit

Two games into the Vikings offense, I'm willing to give him the credit

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Zimmer or at least the defensive coordinators are going to have their seats warm up a hell of a lot if the vikes go 0-4 but absolutely it's the offense's fault not theirs. Kubiak and especially Dennison as the oline coach are probably the first to get fired if this season keeps trending south.

I still think hiring Dom loving Capers was the worst move they've made and he needs to be fired, preferably out of a cannon.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Sataere posted:

Two games into the Vikings offense, I'm willing to give him the credit

Seeing what's become of the Vikings this year makes me feel better as a Browns fan. If a playoff team can lose 2 pieces (Stefanski and Diggs) and turn into an absolute dumpster fire in one offseason, then I'm guessing those 2 had a lot to do with their success. I'll take half lol.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ghosthorse posted:

Zimmer or at least the defensive coordinators are going to have their seats warm up a hell of a lot if the vikes go 0-4 but absolutely it's the offense's fault not theirs. Kubiak and especially Dennison as the oline coach are probably the first to get fired if this season keeps trending south.

I still think hiring Dom loving Capers was the worst move they've made and he needs to be fired, preferably out of a cannon.

Nah, he's safe. They just extended him and now they are in a mini rebuild. My worry is they somehow lose out and get Lawrence.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I know Zimmer signed a three year but his two defensive co-coordinators will catch the blame and I think Patterson was looking at coaching jobs during the offseason anyway. They're still nowhere close to Patricia's garbage fire but they're also tied for last in the nfcn with said dumpster fire

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ghosthorse posted:

It’s always amazing when teams hire lovely castoffs from a division rival. You spend an immense amount of time every season watching this guy’s garbage schemes on film, how on earth is your takeaway “yeah buddy I need me some of THAT”? See also Gase going from the Dolphins to the Jets.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Yeah I think the problem is less Dom Capers and more hiring a DL coach and your dipshit kid to be your defensive coordinator(s).

I think more teams should be hiring old guys as consultants. Scheme in this league is so cyclical, and so many coordinators are running the show are doing it because they know the cool new thing and only that. Like any minute now you're going to see the Cardinals/Bills/Panthers turn running 10 personnel into the trendy thing to do in the NFL. No one has really had to defend it for 20+ years and half of the league is going to fumble around with their dick in their hands for two years not figuring out how to keep their LB/SS dime defenders from getting roasted by slot receiver #2 instead of going to ask Grandpa how he killed the run and shoot.

IMO hire Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, etc. while you're at it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Like any minute now you're going to see the Cardinals/Bills/Panthers turn running 10 personnel into the trendy thing to do in the NFL. No one has really had to defend it for 20+ years and half of the league is going to fumble around with their dick in their hands for two years not figuring out how to keep their LB/SS dime defenders from getting roasted by slot receiver #2 instead of going to ask Grandpa how he killed the run and shoot.

20+ years? The Packers often ran 10/11 under McCarthy and it stopped working well after Driver retired, Jennings left the team, Jordy began declining, etc.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

20+ years? The Packers often ran 10/11 under McCarthy and it stopped working well after Driver retired, Jennings left the team, Jordy began declining, etc.

Funny way of saying it stopped working with Rodgers destroyed the team

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ghosthorse posted:

Dennison was one of the two temporary O-line coaches handed the job after Tony Sparano died. The players they've drafted haven't produced under him. I was watching some game last week and for a moment I imagined what it would be like if Minnesota had a competent offensive line and I almost had a moment of bliss. This line has been terrible for a long time now and Dennison absolutely needs to be replaced.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Vikings' problem is that they went all-in on a contention window that didn't really pan out, got stuck with a bunch of aging talent on bloated contracts, and had to spend an offseason playing cap gymnastics instead of trying to make the team better. Now they're in this weird purgatory where they're not good enough to contend, but not bad enough to get a meaningful draft pick, and they're stuck trying to do a "mini rebuild" while paying out $20-30 million to like the 17th best QB in the league.

Maybe it's not enough to get coaches fired, but it's a whole lot of missed opportunities.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Maybe going all in with a QB like Cousins was a bad idea. Maybe I don't know I'm not a GM.

Diggs was right about everything.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Benne posted:

Peyton was basically his own OC and Tom Moore was just smart enough to know who buttered his bread

I feel like this can't be emphasized enough because goddamn if it doesn't feel rare to find a coach who doesn't let their ego get in the way.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Maybe going all in with a QB like Cousins was a bad idea. Maybe I don't know I'm not a GM.

Was the Washington Team actually smart to let Cousins walk?

I'm honestly asking and don't know.

Or is it a situation where they did what turned out to be the right thing in the end for the wrong reasons?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

:hai:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Minneapolis Miracle and beating the Saints again last year were pretty dope. If this version of the Vikings peaked there then so be it.

We’re also just 2 games into the season so ...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1309988974342086656

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

great thing about being a Lions fan right now is that if they win, they win, and if they lose, it's one step closer to Patricia getting canned

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They also have their bye week 5. If they’re 0-4, with every game being a blown lead or them getting annihilated or both...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't care if they lose the next two games by a point and look great: they'd still be 0-4. Who's the next GM and coach we are looking at (which is a real lions thing to say before the third game of the season)?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't care if they lose the next two games by a point and look great: they'd still be 0-4. Who's the next GM and coach we are looking at (which is a real lions thing to say before the third game of the season)?

That's more of a Browns fan thing to ask. I want someone to just hire McDaniels and whichever Patriots exec he was going to take to cleveland already. Supposedly he had a whole crew ready to go but Haslam hosed his own dream up.

Just get this drat story over with already.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Parallelwoody posted:

Not sure about GM but my dream HC is Eric Bieniemy. The Chiefs offense is obviously fantastic, but more importantly Andy Reid's coaching tree has a really solid record—there's some ups and downs, but two of his former assistants have Superbowl rings, another made it there, and even the mediocre ones have at least a few playoff victories or appearances between them.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Someone please give Greg roman a shot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i will hire greg

Greg has declined

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

imagine wanting ron rivera

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Drake no: Matt Patricia

Drake yes: Josh McDaniels

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FizFashizzle posted:

imagine wanting ron rivera

If Ron accomplished even half of what he did in Charlotte here in Detroit we'd build a statue of him right next to Robocop.

We are very desperate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hire a college offensive genius like Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day and pair him with a seasoned DC. That’s ways more interesting than lusting after dudes who hold the clipboard for Andy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Hire me. I don’t know what a football is but I know the bengals are supposed to lose because I’ve seen the script