Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rjmccall posted:

iirc it is also first-person from the perspective of the multiverse's biggest prick

sincerely,

lol bigger than horza there are a lot of unlikable jerks in this series

i read spaceship at the end of the universe on a rec of a friend i liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

nobody seems to have a midlife crisis on star trek or is it because human lifespan is so much longer that the whole "become an insufferable ambassador and travel the galaxy annoying young people" is the equivalent?

tom paris is fixing up a hot rod and getting really into black and white serials i feel like he’s a good candidate

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Are there any good, pulpy sci fi books which aren't like super racist or something. noir will do as well

I liked A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, which is a mystery and one of the main characters is a has a lovely office in a rundown city!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

theaters with 6 ft spacing enforced by gom jabbar

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

The local PBS showed Blackadder and Red Dwarf after Austin City Limits, followed by Doctor Who. I once saw the one with the kiddo with the gas mask asking “are you my mummy” and noped the gently caress out so goddamn hard.

:shudder:

we got the english pervert (are you being served, one foot in the geave) shows instead of dr who after red dwarf and blakadder

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this is verbatim what i was expecting from this. just another inception.

i liked the insanely low stakes of inception: repair a dudes relationship with his dad so he breaks up his giant company (paid for by the owner of a rival giant company). succeed or fail they all get off the plane (in various states of mental distress)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it's really nice when they get the details right like that

the movie K-19: The Widowmaker is not very good overall, but the part where they go in to fix the reactor is the most accurate welding i've seen in a film. they actually use two different rigs to do the cutting and the welding! first they haul in an oxyacetylene rig with an actual cutting torch fitted and use it to remove the broken pipe. then they pull that out and go in with a stick welder to fit it back together, even properly scratch-starting the arc.

after 10000 films where no distinction is made between welding and cutting, and both are just a blue propane flame that shoots sparks everywhere like they're welding with a sparkler, it was quite wonderful

weird that james camerons ex wife would know exactly whats needed to entrap someone in an underwater tomb

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its rough living in your mothers lake house

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

psiox posted:

ice cube will go from being classically portrayed as pro-cop-killin' -> playing a cop in film -> actual head of the DHS, mark my words

wrong ice. this is the one who was ranting about the jews over the summer.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

wanting your own ray cohn but ending up with michael cohen and rudy g fits with the level of competency in every other aspect of his life

he probably should have treated his original ray cohn better and he wouldn't have had to settle for the dollar store versions!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

too late. dot's final line in the new theme song is "never mansplainey" and the nut jobs are bitching about how it's all a load of pc feminist sjw trash

ruining a show about cartoon characters who live in burbank by giving them hollywood values

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

ngl lower decks is pretty legit though

i welcome the 3 pages of rageposting in response to this

i like it

its very good and got better as they started balancing the lower decks and the command crew in the later episodes

being a sitcom it is freed from the problems that plague picard and discovery and feels a lot more like tng especially once they found their joke/storytelling footing

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ad astra need to either be the insanity of the monkey scene or keep the weird vibe of the mars scene for the entire movie. it just felt pretty and halfbaked otherwise. a moonbuggy shootout should not be that boring.

also applebees.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i saw a thing bitching about those moon buggies because they apparently went with recognizable designs from the 60s-70s instead of anything futuristic

it was kinda odd that they had open top moonbuggies but they had suvs on mars, where there was not an applebees

maybe no driveethru places on mars

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

the Arecibo telescope is collapsing. I suspect hostile aliens :ohdear:

they never fixed the dent from trevalyan falling and its just kept getting worse

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Did they SAG-gently caress Morn and never pay him as more than an extra?

:ohdear:

Idk about that but apparently his art shows up in the backgrounds of ds9 a lot which is cool

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

yeah his translator is top loving notch

what translations are you reading? i picked up solaris at a thrift store and when i tried reading it the translation seemed like something was missing

i was also strung out on opiates at the time so that may not have helped

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I thought it was ok. It felt really weird that there were like 10 people and 2 city blocks in the whole universe though

she’s under house arrest for most of the book. its not like she would have much chance to take in the sights

she does go to that diner that explodes

i agree in general it felt a bit empty and could use some fleshing out. enjoyable enough read

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Watched some lynch dune today

so many people just die without doing anything

i guess pietr stabs dr yueh but then he just gets letoed in the face immediately after

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i actually quite liked jupiter ascending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i liked it but it needs trimmed down so there is way less downtime between weird poo poo happening and eddie redmayne screaming

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Phillip K Dick’s Top 15 IoT gifts for the Holidays

10 ways you can get your washing machine to buy speed on the internet

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

every single one of those star wars is going to have some kind of mandalorian bounty hunter supporting character

dave filloni is pretty much the king of star wars now and he has has a mandalorian shaped priapism for 20 years so yeah

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if disney isnt full of cowards they should get junji ito and maasaki yuusa to do episodes

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i appreciate that he then took this freedom and used it to roof the ball and completely gently caress over the entire franchise for no real reason

it was awesome and watching jj and kannedy at each others throats as ros went down in flames was fun because of it

im really digging all these bottles in ds9. i wonder where they are getting them from or if paramount just has a bottle guy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

e: re: ROS - how are you gonna set up and even show the cloning tanks and poo poo and not pay that off? have a clone Snoke pop out to fight Rey and Ren, or a bunch of clone Palpatines or something. hell even a cloned Vader could have been interesting

MYSTERY

BOX

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

he got real fat tho

he had to finish all that roast hutt

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

infernal machines posted:

it was kind of neat the way mandalorian was just a sci-fi adventure show that happened in the star wars universe. then someone at disney noticed that people liked it, and decided that what they'd like even more is if they made the show star wars instead. which is a shame because star wars itself has like 20 people at most in the entire universe, across maybe three planets. it's a tiny place to tell stories, and frankly the good ones were told four decades ago

its being run by george lucas’s handpicked successor who was responsible for a ton of prequel eu stuff. it was never not gonna end up like this.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah it turns out if you do a ton of research and spend a lot of time and effort into your craft and art direction you can make a really good set of movies

lotr vs the hobbit is a great contrast in this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mystes posted:

You have to wait at least 1 week before filing a missing scene report, so the investigation hasn't even started yet.

AMBER ALERT: Final destination hanging joke last seen southbound I-95 in brown toyota camry with nj license plates

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

the instagram infinite scroll is responsible for making our children develop eating disorders and get involved in such extremist political activities as standing next to a tree at a small protest. now here's the inventor of the instagram infinite scroll to explain why that's a problem. isn't he charming? you can tell by the jaunty music

ah the radiolab maneuver. classic.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

overall i hated endgame but its wasnt surprising as it perfectly encapsulated a marvel event comic: too long, too many characters for anyone to do anything, confounding and infuriating plot beats, a few cool spreads, and writing themselves into a corner they have to deus ex machina or time travel out of

i hope they do another birds of prey it was good

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i just need to see uncle ben die as often as possible

crisis on infinite bens

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its funny cause disney nuked the star war EU specifically so they could stop paying those authors and replace it with an EU over which they had full control of the IP. now they seem to be going back on that as all the new star war content seems to be based entirely in the old EU.

i wonder if timothy zahn and the rest will get paid or if disney is gonna try to stop paying them like they did to alan dean foster.

they brought zahn in pretty early on after they nuked the eu, so hes in disneys warm embrace, fortunately

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

in soul they turn the black man into a cat because disney cant help themselves

its still really good aside from disneys inability to deal with non-white characters

the only thing i remember from flight of the navigator is the ship and the nurse robot

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

nah

gently caress having everything in shades of mud brown cgi or clutterified transformers

i have no experience with ultraman but that trailer hooked me

yeah im super pumped for it just from that and ive never watched any of the ultras men

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

"Gurney, please learn something other than Aqualung"

Josh Brolin, in full Tommy Lee Jones mode: “No.”

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i dont think i could believe jessie eisenburg punching jason bateman in the face though

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

I wouldn’t care less about his personal failings if he was still funny, he just isn’t really. also I’m not seeing Mario or Garfield either way so it doesn’t really impact me. (if they’d cast Sam Richardson as Mario I might have seen it)

dudes been skating on michael schur and james gunn making him funny

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the loki series was honestly very good for a serial, and i am approximately 0% invested in any kind of comic book superhero poo poo

the marvel movies were really good at capturing the feel of the marvel event comics and the general marvel comic tone (overly convoluted and forced to stick to a unified tone), so if they can keep that trend with the series then i expect that, like the comics, thats where they will let writers have freedom and all the good stuff will be

i will never watch a tom holland spiderman

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

should I read the Left Hand of Darkness or the Traitor Baru Cormorant

always be reading baru

abrb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Achmed Jones posted: