Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I like the RDJ movies because they make Watson a guy who can hold his own instead of some dope.

The show treated Watson right too (also LOL at being able to have him be an Afghanistan War vet in both iterations, hooray for imeperialism), but holy poo poo that show got up it's own rear end quickly.

Edit:

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Robert Downy Jr. version is the best Sherlock Holmes and the only one that managed to update it for a modern audience and also stay true to the original characters.

The original Sherlock Holmes is also an unreasonably strong drug-addicted Kung Fu (Bartitsu) badass, and the original Watson is a former soldier and there to provide back-up. The more common take with Holmes as a stuffy pipe-smoking nerd that never has to get his hands dirty and a goofy, chubby Watson there to yell "By Jove!" is entirely divorced from the books. It seems to have been born of the idea that Sherlock Holmes is British, so both characters have to be Britished Up as much as possible.

Exactly.

Chicken Butt posted:

Also the best non-Conan-Doyle Holmes is Neil Gaiman’s short story where he crosses it over with Lovecraft.
Also yes.

https://neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories
There's a link to "A Study in Emerald" on his site.

If you haven't read the Holmes story "A Study in Scarlet" you'll probably miss some of the references.
Luckily that's in the public domain.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/244/244-h/244-h.htm

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Enfys posted:

Elementary has a good Watson

I never watched it, it just looked like another procedural when it came out. I’ll give it a shot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Another good Holmes property is the Mycroft Holmes books by Roger Murdock Kareem Abdul Jabbar

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just started the second Mycroft Holmes book.

Can someone do me a huge favor and give me a plot rundown of the first one? I haven’t read it since it came out and wiki isn’t giving me too much to spike my memory.

In spoiler tags, of course.