Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Pick posted:

House is the craziest poo poo in the world. Seriously, that poo poo was completely insane. The Aussie doctor guy and the lady originally get together, sex wise, because she's high off her rear end because she stole hard-core drugs from a gay man who loves to party… To death. Episode where house can't get a taxi so he gets Wilsons girlfriend killed in a car accident (whoops). Episode where Wilson is secretly dosing him with antidepressants so house gets Wilson hooked on speed? That's just the early stuff and when I was still watching the show! In the finale, house set up a drug addict to burn in a house so that he can use his skeleton as an alibi so that he can go on some gay end of life motorcycle tour with Wilson where is legitimately implied that they are going to Thelma and Louise themselves. what the christ
Well, that's quite something.

I was about to compare it to Doc Martin for the whole "I'm a Doctor with poor social skills but good medical knowledge oh whoops I was wrong here's the actual cure".

But, yeah, that's a bit over the top.

I remember seeing glimpses of House as I wandered past other people watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
The fun part of House was watching him be a sarcastic jerk and get away with it, because his godlike genius was indispensable to his hospital, but that also got old after awhile. I’m going to guess that Harmon and Roiland were fans; seems like a character who would appeal to people who fancy themselves smart misanthropes.

Also he would get curious about other people’s psychology and spy on them and/or torment them until he figured them out, and that was fun too sometimes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if Holmes stories didn’t suck so badly then Agatha Christie wouldn’t have been annoyed into writing actual decent mysteries

arsen lupin owns Sherlock any day of the week anyway

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ cyberpunk holmes is the best holmes :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

arsen lupin owns Sherlock any day of the week anyway

I think you mean Herlock :smugmrgw:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

pro tip: if you sign up to audible you can get stephen fry reading the complete sherlock holmes for free and cancel and keep it forever. it's loving terrific

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Enfys posted:

I like the insane later stories, like the one where an old guy falls in love with a young lady and is insecure about how old he is. He takes weird experimental medicine made from monkey brains that hijacks his brain and make him temporarily act like a monkey, so he's clambering up the walls of his mansion at night and poking his dog with sticks until it attacks him.

This, of course, makes for great television.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Friends just hanging out and going on virtual adventures together?

I cant articulate it. Its probably because of how delighted LeVar looks to be in costume. The tone is jarringly bizarre and it makes me laugh.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin star trek and their dress up bullshit, half the series seems like a bad stage play.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

All of that sounds dumb, no offence op

From this statement I can deduce you were a Parsian orphan, now turned dockworker in South Hampton and still often suffering from the lingering affects of Malaria that you picked up during your brief period of time serving in the french army during the First Mandingo War.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Old Holmes could tell the difference between 100 types of cigar ash and it's disappointing that the modern Cumberbatch one never did anything with vape juice

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nero Wolfe is the best sherlock holmes, by the by.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fuckin star trek and their dress up bullshit, half the series seems like a bad stage play.

Your choice of entertainment on the Enterprise: Victorian plays, everyone watch Data and/or Riker play classical music or jazz, and poetry night, god the future sucks

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
There's this episode of house with the cold open being this rodeo guy getting pummeled by a bull and there's this one shot of him lying on the ground, the camera is directly over him and there are these very fake bull legs that come in from off screen and hit him as he writhes on the ground and i think about that a lot.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

womb with a view posted:

Your choice of entertainment on the Enterprise: Victorian plays, everyone watch Data and/or Riker play classical music or jazz, and poetry night, god the future sucks

Hey hey hey now, there's also space chess. And constant games of poker, even though money isn't a thing.

And don't forget space pool:

And space q-tips:

And space thimbles:

And somehow everyone seems shocked when Barclay uses the holodeck to act out his fantasies...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Obviously we see the Enterprise crew only when something interesting happens (space monsters, anomalies etc). Those are the days Picard makes his log entries so everyone is on their best behaviour.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you mean Herlock :smugmrgw:

my edition uses Holmlock Shears :(

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
sherlock holmes is actually just an edgar allen poe fanfiction character but he still owns

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I like the RDJ movies because they make Watson a guy who can hold his own instead of some dope.

The show treated Watson right too (also LOL at being able to have him be an Afghanistan War vet in both iterations, hooray for imeperialism), but holy poo poo that show got up it's own rear end quickly.

Edit:

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Robert Downy Jr. version is the best Sherlock Holmes and the only one that managed to update it for a modern audience and also stay true to the original characters.

The original Sherlock Holmes is also an unreasonably strong drug-addicted Kung Fu (Bartitsu) badass, and the original Watson is a former soldier and there to provide back-up. The more common take with Holmes as a stuffy pipe-smoking nerd that never has to get his hands dirty and a goofy, chubby Watson there to yell "By Jove!" is entirely divorced from the books. It seems to have been born of the idea that Sherlock Holmes is British, so both characters have to be Britished Up as much as possible.

Exactly.

Chicken Butt posted:

Also the best non-Conan-Doyle Holmes is Neil Gaiman’s short story where he crosses it over with Lovecraft.
Also yes.

https://neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories
There's a link to "A Study in Emerald" on his site.

If you haven't read the Holmes story "A Study in Scarlet" you'll probably miss some of the references.
Luckily that's in the public domain.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/244/244-h/244-h.htm

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2020

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I like the RDJ movies because they make Watson a guy who can hold his own instead of some dope.

The show treated Watson right too (also LOL at being able to have him be an Afghanistan War vet in both iterations, hooray for imeperialism), but holy poo poo that show got up it's own rear end quickly.

Edit:

Exactly.

I agree, I liked the first season well enough, I really though the boys had good chemistry! But oh man these are not long seasons and they made a hard left turn into being too aware of its own fandom. The show was much less enjoyable to watch after it discovered it could eat it own rear end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lol remember the episode where the guy got mortally stabbed and didn't realize it because his belt was so tight, as if that is a thing even remotely possible

or the one with the genetic abomination hound of the baskerville lab or whatever the gently caress

or the one where they completely ignore everyone asking how the gently caress holmes was still alive by peppering it with the stupidest fan theories imaginable while openly mocking the audience

steven moffat is a godawful writer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The show was a terrible detective show (and a terrible show in general oh ho ho) but I thought it was a pretty decent super hero show

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

lol remember the episode where the guy got mortally stabbed and didn't realize it because his belt was so tight, as if that is a thing even remotely possible

I vaguely remember that one. So unbelievably stupid.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

AFewBricksShy posted:

Elementary has a good Watson

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Enfys posted:

Elementary: my dear Watson

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I've been playing through the prequel to the Phoenix Wright games, where you play as his ancestor in the early 1900s. Sherlock Holmes is a major character and is portrayed as a major dumbass who makes wild and baseless accusations. The logic he uses is technically valid, but he always picks up on the wrong premise to start with, so his conclusions always go off on a random tangent. Its your job to literally spin around the room and nudge him towards the correct deductions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8YNVj6Bg4M

Holmes is also the reason why the game won't ever be released overseas officially, because the game makes direct references to Holmes' stories, and thus infringes on the copyright.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the sherlock holmes copyright stuff isn't just "you can't mention his stories", literally only ten of his stories are under copyright protection anymore

you can't mention his retirement and return from retirement, basically. the doyle estate keeps claiming that giving holmes too many emotions infringes on the later copyrighted works but something like "holmes is actually an idiot who needs help from those around him" is certainly not that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

Elementary is easily the best Sherlock Holmes property, by leagues

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I hate Sherlock Holmes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stephen King wrote a decent Holmes short story

Also the collection “Shadows Over Baker Street” is pretty good

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Enfys posted:

I never watched it, it just looked like another procedural when it came out. I’ll give it a shot.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

oldpainless posted:

Stephen King wrote a decent Holmes short story

Also the collection “Shadows Over Baker Street” is pretty good

haha this guy reads books

get him!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Please, Sherlock Holmes was my father. Call me Sh'ock Hol'e.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Enfys posted:

And space q-tips:

Hey, that's no way to talk about the ultimate evolution in martial arts!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Waterbed Wendy posted:

There's this episode of house with the cold open being this rodeo guy getting pummeled by a bull and there's this one shot of him lying on the ground, the camera is directly over him and there are these very fake bull legs that come in from off screen and hit him as he writhes on the ground and i think about that a lot.

i found it, here's a still.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pick posted:

Elementary is easily the best Sherlock Holmes property, by leagues

I really need to watch the rest of that show. I was so surprised by how good it turned out to be.

Really dug their take on Irene Adler.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my edition uses Holmlock Shears :(

The translation I have lists the original as "Arsene Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes" but uses Sherlock Holmes in the text because the copyright had lapsed.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Oh Christ, there's a movie about Holmes's kid sister, Enola Holmes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfmpDa04BFg

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
More like Enola Gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

I really need to watch the rest of that show. I was so surprised by how good it turned out to be.

Really dug their take on Irene Adler.

Meeting Sherlock's dad is absolutely worth the 4 season buildup.