Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Doctor Nutt posted:

My favorite roguelike is Super Mario Bros

Someone never held "A" while pressing start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Twibbit posted:

still trying

That was my online ordering experience in a nutshell, as well.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

Brutally hard you say?

Sad man dark souls mode activate. Time to pre-order maybe :darksouls:

Hold on I just read a pcmag uk review which says “at the time of writing I’ve yet to beat the second boss”. Uh how is it a review then?

A good majority of game reviews barely scratch the surface of the game they're playing in question.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

I killed Gascoigne on my first go game is TRASH UTTER FILTH

fighting back tears welling up in my eyes

Gasciogne isn't even hard... Vicar Amelia is when things REALLY start getting difficult.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm pretty hyped for a 10 hour spook-fest. Odds are it will take longer for me because I'm pretty bad at horror games.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Okay my thoughts so far about a hour into RE8. For context I loved RE5 (although I only played it voop), and enjoyed RE2 remake and RE7 but stopped playing those two games about four hours in.

lol I love how in this world you instantly die and vanish when you fall into fire.

The characters are really cool too and the games got a sweet vibe that's reminiscent of that early 00s movie Van Helsing, so VERY campy and goofy.

The goons who say it's campy and not scary are right so far. It's got scares but it's tolerable atleast so far and I've found myself laughing several times at it. For context I quit RE2 when you meet mr x and RE7 when you go downstairs and fight insects cuz both were too scary.

I beat RE8 later today and I didn't find a good majority of it scary, with the exception of one section which spooked the heck out of me. Good game overall.

I watched RE7 and 8 has some of the weird body gore that Ethan goes through in 7 but overall the tone is different and RE8 has that resident evil madness at its core.

Overall game is good, IMO.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Caidin posted:

I finally got a PS5 in my cart on gamestop!

But the site is exploding so I can't checkout.

Well it just said it was out of stock again so guess actually getting that far along and thinking I'd made it was so drat stupid of me.

Same OP. Hopefully we'll get it next time.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I think I secured a PS5? Best Buy had a drop and it was surprisingly easy to get one compared to all the other recaptcha + add to cart nonsense I had to pull with other vendors.

I'm half expecting the order to get cancelled. Either way, i'm pretty pumped right now.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

haveblue posted:

That's pretty much it. I got it by checking in a couple of times a day and occasionally catching a tweet along the lines of "we expect there will be a drop at _______ soon".

It doesn't help that these almost always happen in the middle of workdays and most people aren't in a position to just stop being productive for an hour while trying to snag one.

It was sheer luck on my part. The only reason I was able to snag one was because I took the day off because i'm experiencing side effects of moderna dose 2. I'm honestly surprised that I didn't sleep through the entire drop.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bloodstained is getting a sequel

That's great news! I still need to finish the first game, I just unlocked the ability to turn the castle upside-down so I don't think i'm that far from the end.

e: Just got an email, my order is ready for pickup! If I didn't have D&D in a few minutes i'd get it right now, but it looks like i'll be getting a PS5 tomorrow!

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 29, 2021

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Ulio posted:

Miranda's remastered butt, Abbey's shoulders, Aloy's cheeks. I love games but man are some gamers extremely weird and find the dumbest poo poo to get mad about.

You forgot the vagina bones

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm definitely excited to play the INTERmission parts. My favorite thing about Remake was how different each character played, so it'll be nice to have one (or two?) more characters into the mix.

Still excited to see how Red XIII and Cait Sith play in part 2 when that comes out in four to five years.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

My "I am not Hideo Kojima" tweet has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tweet.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Can you imagine if all this Blue Box conspiracy stuff was false and just a wild list of coincidences and they just made a game called Abandoned and are seeing all this press like "oh gently caress oh gently caress you guys we're so hosed we're going to come out with this game and everyone will hate us Jesus Christ oh poo poo"

(I think it's a Hideo joint, personally)

I feel bad for the developers if it's not a Kojima joint. I think a lot of the people who have done interviews and reveals are a little bit too wink-wink nudge-nudge for it to be anything else, though.

I think the worst possible thing it could be would be if it was silent hill but with bloober team behind it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao what the gently caress is happening

PT often repeats the number "204863"
Hideo Kojima's Birthday is 24/8/63
Adding a 0 into 27 gives you 207
Richard Braintree lives in Room 207
Big Braintree thinking will give you another 7, giving you 2077.
Cyberpunk 2077 is Silent Hills

this is not serious oh god

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

JBP posted:

The best part of Silent Hill exclusive to PS5 will be when pyramid head chases you through the woods but he keeps on farting up his position thanks to the special PS5 Tempest 3D Audio

The best part about Silent Hill for the PS5 will be the PS5 exclusive feature to die in real life if you die in the video game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

VideoGames posted:

These are some games I theoretically could stream (but need input to help decide):

FFVIIRemake
13 Sentinels
Death Stranding
Until Dawn
Alien Isolation
MGSV

I trimmed that list down for you to show my own preferences, with the bolded items being games that I love and would gladly watch again.

FFVIIR is so good if you want an amazing battle system with a neat story. 13 Sentinels is great if you want a neat battle system with an amazing story.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Obra Dinn and Until Dawn would be great. Does Until Dawn have timing with the choices, or would there be time to poll the chat?

Also tuo I’m not sure you understand the appeal if you’re suggesting to mute the chat :colbert:

There are some decisions that are on a timer, and others that you can take your time with.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

tuo posted:

You're right, of course, but Obra Dinn is such a pure experience when no one gives you any hints, imo....it's sooo easy to destroy this gaming experience with like two lines of text

I agree with this. The game has a very deep respect for the player and their ability to make connections, if someone in chat tries to be coy with a "Hmm... I WONDER why the captain's coat is there!!!" or something along those lines it could give you an unintended experience.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Obra Dinn is a magical experience I wish I could erase from my brain and do again. I was so enamored with my time there that I bought a small notebook to write down stuff I'd noticed and got really immersed in the whole world of the ship, going at my own pace, and I feel it would be a detriment to have to play it for an audience of people to talk to.

I'm excited for a couple of years from now when I can't remember poo poo about the game and get to play it again.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving lolololololololol

Perhaps the real Silent Hills was the conspiracy theories we made along the way.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Lobok posted:

So instead of a demo or high-quality streaming video someone decided on a compromise of the two worst aspects of both? You have to download a file, but it's still not anything interactive.

Yeah. This part was so weird which is what got me into thinking it could be something like P.T.

The energy that the dev twitter is giving lately makes me think that they just realized they're in way over their heads and it's just going to be some weird app that might brick your PS5.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

When I finished watching this clip I was convinced this was satire.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, 3D World and Odyssey are a god-like series of platformers and you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring them

:yeah:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I can't wait until we see the second trailer for abandoned in Q2 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I bought Returnal today, because the game has always been a "i might like it but i also might not" for me and the sale was enough to push me over the edge.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I played some Returnal today and cleared Biome 1. It's a good game! I don't know if I'll plat it but I'm definitely going to beat it in due time.

I think the only weapon I don't like so far is the thing that fires the arc projector rods. Those things have been kind of meh for me, but I haven't really played around that much with it so I can't say I've given it a fair shake.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

henpod posted:

First impressions about Returnal:

- I can't play any other game because console is on rest mode in the middle of a run that took me two hours so far. Wife wants to play Ratchet but can't until I exit the game.

I think this is the only issue for me so far. If my wife wants to play FFXIV with me I need to finish out the run- which can take a while.

The furthest I've gotten is midway through Biome 3, when I died to a challenge room and the slew of droids it spawned on me. Apart from the game monopolizing the PS5 it's a ton of fun and it has me hooked.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Cleared Biomes 3 and 4 of Returnal!

Managed to get the third and fourth bosses down on the first try as well. The third one was very much down to the wire, as I was firing at it like mad and a laser was millimeters away from my character's face when it was about to hit me. I loved (post biome 3) That she gets off the planet, lives a full life and dies. Then returns to the planet..

Biome 5 is definitely tough stuff, and I absolutely hate the exploding drones that the game is sending to me in every biome now. Gonna be a little while before I learn how to navigate around those guys I think.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I managed to beat Returnal yesterday!

Overall, I enjoyed it. I still have yet to get the true ending, but I think I enjoyed the overall mystery of what's going on more than the actual story events. I think I know what direction the game's story is going to go when I get the true ending, and if I'm right I don't think I'm going to have a high opinion of the game's story. That being said, I still love the gameplay and think i'm probably going to be doing some daily challenges when I find myself with the time.

Also, I take back my words on the pylon gun. That overpowered piece of poo poo let me one shot all of Biome 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

"if you hated it so much then why did you stick with it" is always the wrong question to ask. it's only reasonable that anything that would leave a passionately bad impression has to hold your attention long enough for you to actually develop those feelings in the first place

This is so they can couple it with the other gotcha, "How can you say you hate it or that it's bad, you haven't even finished it!"