Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That's both very cool and very stupid and self indulgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has the PS5 stock situation changed at all? Or are people still just following Wario64 on Twitter and hoping they manage to snag one from the scalper bots? Sorry if this gets asked a lot.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah poo poo insta-sells anytime it shows up in stock.

I'd love to know how much of this is due to the PS5 being stuck in a scalper death-spiral.

Shammypants posted:

Sad to say but I think that's just what happens when you've lived for a while and played games for a while. They just.. aren't that attractive anymore. I still buy them up, but it confuses me that they are so awesome but I can't just get into them like I did once. They look better and play better than ever, let alone sound better than ever, but it just is what it is.

My 16 year old self would be so pissed at me. "What do you mean you can afford all the consoles and play them on a giant 65" TV but you get bored and don't finish them!?"

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 22, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sneeing Emu posted:

I managed to get one from Best Buy this week using NowInStock (https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/). The in stock notification popped up, I went to Best Buy's site, clicked add to cart, and it worked. I had been randomly refreshing all the major retailers daily until I used that method, YMMV of course.

Thing just beeps at me constantly that they're in stock and Best Buy but when I click through they're always sold out. Not a fan so far.

But still, thanks for pointing it out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Not really Sony's fault, retailers are trying some things to work around bots and Sony does the queue every now and then but microprocessor scarcity + pandemic led us here.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what Sony can do to get the PS5 out of this scalper spiral if they're having to fight appliance and car manufacturers for the same components.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Have enough people actually paid 1.5 to 3x the retail price for a PS5 to justify bots still snapping up so many of them? I realize both Sony and the retailer still got their money so may not be super motivated to care, but there's gotta be a point where all the people willing to shell out for a scalped console have already bought as many as they care to.

Sony is motivated to care because PS5s are sold at a loss. A scalper with a back room full of 100 dusty PS5s isn't buying 300 $70 games to go with them. And if software developers don't see PS5 game sales take off they'll just keep targeting the PS4 or maybe take another look at the Switch.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, I finally scored a PS5 off of this. It told me my wait time was more than an hour which usually means you're out of luck. But then it actually started going down. After about half an hour it let me in and I bought a PS5 like it was nothing. Supply might be getting better.

Maybe it's finally time to pull the trigger on a 4K OLED TV...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rick posted:

I got in but because I didn't believe I was going to get in I laid down to take a nap and when the noise went off I was like "wow my phone just made a weird noise? Anyway back to sleep" and 15 minutes later by the time I logged in I was too late.

Oh that sucks. You'd almost rather just sleep through in that case.

But it sounds like those Playstation Direct queues aren't as impossible as they used to be.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

For those that got their PS5 from Sony Direct how long did it take them to ship?

Bought yesterday, shipped today, due for delivery tomorrow. I spent the extra $19 for express shipping. I think that's free if your have an active PS Plus subscription.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Made it about half an hour into RE7 and I don't think I like games that make me anxious or tense.

I love a horror movie but for some reason it doesn't work in games. Because I'm in control at all times I'm well aware I have the power to just walk away - it's very difficult for me to continue doing something that makes me uncomfortable when there's no accountability from someone I care about being mad at me. I can't even try and power move myself and text my mum to tell her I've wasted $60 in the hopes I can guilt myself into carrying on because I got it for free.

Playing all the way through RE7 in PSVR just completely broke the part of my brain that processes fear. I've beaten the first two bosses in RE8 and I feel nothing so far.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Finally got my PS5. So far, so good.

I only played a little bit, but I noticed in RE8 anytime I looked at a character I wasn't allowed to shoot the controller made a quick "whir!" sound. Is that the adaptive triggers doing something? Or are the rumble motors up to something? It's kinda loud.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I wasn't desensitized to horror from playing a million horror games, because that part in RE8 just made me laugh. In a good way though, I thought it was awesome.

Me in House Benevento when I realize why it's full of empty closets.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I’m watching the mocap featurette in RE8 and this poo poo is funny as hell.

Lol at the lady that had to mocap act for the horrible little puppet.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

So who else just gave up and stood their PS5 up vertically behind their TV? drat thing is half an inch taller than my gaming PC.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Entertainment centers are bulky and stupid

Just like the PS5.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Have they tired to explain what their design philosophy was in making a console with no flat edges? Like how the 360 was supposed to look like it was breathing in or whatever?

Edit: lmao

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If the sheer bulk is what got us away from the PS4 jet engine effect then maybe that was the right call. But needing that stupid clip-on stand to lay it down makes be feel like a rube for buying one.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It doesn't help that the Switch also requires some non-standard AV space. At least there's a practical justification there but I'm running out of patience with the whole thing.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I did, it works great. It's happy back in there on the left and stays nice and cool.

That's a fair point. My PS5 is breathing way better than my PS4 ever did in its little cubby hole.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do you have tips for cable management, I do need to do that

I actually stumbled onto a trick that works with a particular sort of TV stand.

Here's what it looks like underneath the TV stand. Reasonably tidy.

Now here's the rat's nest that's behind it.

So why can't you see it from the front? Because I put another piece of baseboard in front of the rats nest to hide it.

That's actually a length of plastic you're supposed to nail to your baseboards so you can route cables through them. But you could do it with regular wooden baseboards too.

The illusion is broken as soon as someone goes to the kitchen. But it looks good from the couch so I'm pretty happy with it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

infraboy posted:

I had a Wii and never played Skyward Sword sooo is it bad or something? I was thinking of pre-ordering...

It's just kinda dull and the tutorials are insulting. The Wii being a surprise hit with "non-gamers" made Nintendo think all their games had to start by explaining how video games worked.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fix posted:

also didn't feel like playing a really depressing game last summer

This right here was me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's so unsubtle it's not even really depressing, it's more like being repeatedly hit over the head with half a brick in a sock until you hope everyone involved just dies.

Well I didn't need that last summer either.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I tried watching a YouTube video on my new PS5 and as soon as a person started talking on screen I realized I was getting a ton of audio lag. After half an hour of messing with the PS5 and TV settings I thing I have it eliminated but man what a pain.

Whoever said we should have stuck with CRTs and stereo sound may have been right.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I have to run my TV in game mode on all sources or my ancient receiver ends up way ahead of the picture.

I had the opposite problem. My audio was slower than my video. Setting the PS5 to DTS and my TV audio to "passthrough" and then power cycling everything fixed it. Either the PS5 is slow at encoding Dolby Digital or my receiver is slow at decoding it I guess. PCM didn't have lag either but I can't pass 5.1 PCM through my current setup.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not due to SONY it’s due to a global shortage of a specific component that is such a bottleneck that the PS5 is potentially getting redesigned to not need it.

Which one? I'm curious to know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

smoobles posted:

What brand/type of HDMI cable should I be looking for to replace to the one my PS5 came with? It's time to finally hide it in the wall, but this poo poo's not long enough.

These Zeskit HDMI cables seem to be the "throw money at it and forget it" cable of choice.

I will say that having to look up the bandwidth rating of your HDMI cable feels like it's kinda defeating the point of HDMI.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

also apparently PS4 games that weren't build around HDR, it still tries to implement it on the system-end, and it can be worse? Or am I off base?

Looks like it shouldn't be on for every game, anyway

The only SDR PS4 game I've tried so far is Bloodborne and it looked way, way better with HDR on. But I've heard it makes some games look worse so I guess it varies.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If I couldn't cause burn-in on my childhood CRT with NES games then I'm not worried about burning in my new OLED.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

will i be spoiled on the twists/plot of horizon 1 if i watch tonight state of play?

Yes. Badly. Like, there's a whole 10 minute "the story so far" segment that just spoils the entire first game from the jump. Which is too bad because that's one of Zero Dawn's biggest strengths. Like half way through I was all, "Wow, this is some good rear end sci-fi."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have only played a little so far and I like the data shards and gameplay is ok(I assume it gets better after I'm through tutorial land) but yeah all the story stuff and gruff dad and daughter relationship is very rote and boring.

I guess that's the price of setting up your character. I would have rather jumped to adult as soon as you got out of that first cave personally.

Oh yeah, I actually shelved the game for a few months because the first half is just techo-tribal Game of Thrones political drama. But the back half of the game where they start explaining why the world is the way it is really held my interest. It's just lore in codices but it's pretty good lore. That may not be worth it for some folks but it was a really pleasant surprise for me. Even some stuff that was kinda bugging me got a satisfying explanation.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I played some hours of it last year and thought it was boring and not nearly the game people talk it up to be, so maybe some spoilers will make me think it gets better later

They put the good stuff in the back-half of the game. But I feel like any time you have to tell someone "it gets better, I promise" then you're already playing with fire. I've never enjoyed a game I forced myself to play just so I could get to the "good" part.

I'm looking at you Nier Automata.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone tried Chicory yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPbC8W9eMY

It's definitely the sort of game you want to play with a mouse but they've made a heroic effort to make it work on the PS5 touchpad. Come to think of it I'm ten hours in on the PS5 so I guess they did make it work more or less.

If you've ever had imposter syndrome here's a twee little furry game set in a coloring book just for you.

And if you're not artsy, I'm not either. The game does a good job giving you tools to make you feel welcome all the same.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

negativeneil posted:

Gifted my non-gamer-turned-pandemic-gamer brother my PS4 Pro with God of War, HZD, Uncharted 4.

He told me a few weeks ago that he picked up an Xbox and AC Odyssey and couldn't get over how amazing it was. "There are much more impressive games out there," I said. Last night he went from beginning of GoW to meeting the World Serpent in one sitting and texted me, "I think I understand now 🥺"

Now he's considering paying a scalper for ps5 noooo

Aw, just let him enjoy. It's all new and fun to him.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

chicory is amazballs

It was certainly better than I expected (But maaaybe play it on PC for mouse support if you can. The PS5 controller works well enough.)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting PS5 audio lag? I've been dealing with this problem for a while and I keep going back and forth between "yeah that fixed it" and "oh wait I guess not".

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fedule posted:

Before moving on to "please provide more detail such as what you're observing your TV and AV setup and the sound settings on your console and what you've tried and the results you've seen from them", I'm going to take a complete stab in the dark based on no evidence and say you're seeing format problems and something in the chain is trying to transcode instead of passing through. This was the culprit for me: I got hella lag using any kind of Dolby until I set my TV to always pass through audio (to a receiver).

You're close. The problem is with Dolby Digital but I've already set my TV to "pass through" mode. Also my PS5 seems to be the only source having this issue. For example, when I set my Apple TV to output Dolby Digital it has no such audio lag.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone ever had an issue where 5.1 PCM surround sound works fine on the home screen but when you launch a game it switches to stereo/2.0? I can fix this by popping into the settings after the game launches and toggling it from 5.1 to 2.0 (or 7.1) and back again. After that I return to the game and all is well. But I'd rather not have that extra step.

I have my PS5 connected to an LG C1 which is then feeding audio into this silly contraption via eARC. It may be my weird "receiver" that's the problem but if other folks have encountered this with different equipment I'd love to hear.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Riven posted:

I bought a new C1 and an LG SP9YA with the rear speaker kit and it took me close to 2 hours to get surround working. I believe the final fix was setting the audio settings to “receiver”even though I’m using a sound bar, explicitly setting it to 7.1, but then I had to turn everything off and on again. Before that there was no difference. I also went back and forth from direct to Dolby and back. Oh, and my PS5 had to go through the sound bar, doing eARC through the TV I could never get it to work.

Also make sure that receiver is plugged into input 2 on the TV as I missed for awhile that is the only input it will do eARC on.

See this poo poo is why PC gamers still use headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes. It’s even better if you can get your hands on a PSVR.

RE7 in PSVR is something I will never ever forget.