Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
he should’ve just obeyed the security officer’s commands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

North America is full of awful people but also some gorgeous natural beauty

Truly a land of contrasts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I genuinely think that even if that fails they’re just going to claim they need to destroy American democracy to save it and just refuse to give up the White House.

They’re openly cozying up to brownshirts for a reason.

the GOP destroying democracy is a feature, not a bug. and when the time comes, they won’t even claim they’re trying to “save” democracy.

the oligarchs don’t want democracy, at least not for anyone who isn’t super rich. they’ve been saying this in secret for decades, and now they’re saying it openly. allowing anyone to amass as much wealth as they have is as dangerous to democracy as the Democrats rubber stamping Trump’s judges so they can go on recess, or the GOP setting the stage to invalidate election results they don’t like, or armed militias roaming the streets.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 12, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL they’ve put a property tax freeze on the ballot here in Colorado. They’re trying to pass it off as some kind of progressive cause somehow by citing a bunch of corporate Dems who support it.

Protect ~Local Businesses~ from uNpReDiCtAbLe property tax hikes! Provide reliable and predictable funding for schools! etc etc etc :jerkbag:

Because freezing property taxes has worked out so well for California :rolleyes:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the huge influx of Californians since weed became legal here is gonna wind up with our state getting hellfucked with stupid ballot proposition poo poo like that

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Ask Californians how Prop 13 (the property tax freeze enacted in the 70s) turned out

Right now we're actually debating whether or not it's ok for children to inherit the right to a 95% discount on property taxes for their 2 million dollar homes

The compromise on the ballot is that it will remain ok provided they make their inherited house their primary residence

oh I know, it’s bullshit, lots of californians know it’s bullshit, and yet here we are

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

wow. tone of the thread has changed an awful lot i see.

you told me to post in here, pal :haw:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the trick is to be toor poor to afford more than the occasional beer :agesilaus:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Gonna get an AK-47 and put "This machine kills fascists" on it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

I mean, is it? The military accounts for about half of our discretionary spending, a smaller federal government would by definition mean an end to that. They seem pretty happy with the current arrangement: A country that does little to nothing in the way of services of its citizens, with a strong, expensive military (with plenty of contracts for themselves and their buddies) and a police state mentality. If they had any intention of letting any of the states "go" don't you think they'd be encouraging the blue ones to leave? That'd be 55 solid blue electoral college votes they'd never have to worry about again.

I don't think any political party really represents what I'm describing, the GOP (in theory) wants a small federal government but it also wants small city and state governments, I'm not advocating that, I'm saying that the Seattle MSA region should have way more control over the tax revenue of the people that live here... Homelessness has exploded here in the past 5 years to the point where people are building hovervilles with actual wooden structures and foundations. I don't want to live in a "Homeless friendly city like Seattle" as the article puts it... I want to live in a city that actively has eliminated homelessness. Is Biden going to help with that? Are we gonna have to beg for our money back to help with that?

the GOP wants rich people and corporations to be able to do whatever they want, and a strong and well-funded federal government gets in the way of that. whatever bullshit ideology they claim, them wanting the smallest, weakest government possible is 100% about getting to do whatever they want and not be held accountable. a big, expensive military furthers that goal, in that it’s both a teat to suckle on in the form of military contracts, and a security force for their overseas assets.

if you get your way, where the US turns into a bunch of competing fiefdoms, better hope your state doesn’t depend on any rivers that originate in another state for water, products shipped in by road or rail. etc etc etc

also, have you, like, been outside of Seattle? while lotta rednecks in Washington state once you get away from Seattle

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fuuuuuck that sucks so bad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

eh nothings done till it’s done but I think you’re going to see the fastest memory holeing imaginable if trump loses (and the dems will 100% aid and abet this), there won’t be any consequences for the elite

libs are already trying:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 20, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
odds are good that those cops being all 😭 ARE ONCE FAIR CITY 😭 live out in the suburbs, too

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
reminder that mark burnett, showrunner for The Apprentice, had a standing order with staff that, whenever they were shooting the boardroom scenes, ivanka was to be clothed only in tight dresses because it would keep trump in a good mood and easier for the crew to manage.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
just read maura quint’s “recap” tomorrow, lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
maura quint is a comedy writer and her debate recaps are funny

don’t bother with the actual debates

here’s her recap of the VP debate

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-one-that-had-better-be-the-last-one

her ability to write in Trump-speak is pretty good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i almost namechanged back today. couldn’t be bothered to put in my cc info due to my agonies

give me your CC info and I’ll do it for you 😜

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
just tryna help out my yosbros

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/taint_o/status/1320782292625858562

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
sorry viewers, my dog ate my damning hunter biden documents

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
apparently Biden is up by quite a bit in Wisconsin, 20k votes or so

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1323963606992605184

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: ninja

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

looking forward to the koch solutions to gang violence and recidivism

can’t fall back into a life of crime if they never get released because the prison industry lobby has succeeded in making all prison sentences into life sentences :agesilaus:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
lmao out like a light

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

i wish we could clap him in chains and make him tour the country so people could throw rotten vegetables at him

but enough about that piece’s author

edit: rudy giuliani was always a piece of poo poo, even before any supposed tbi

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don’t understand why the non-gendered term is Latinx instead of just Latin, which already exists and is already non-gendered.

Also, how do you pronounce Latinx? Latinsh? Latinks? Latin-ecks?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

latin is a dead language. latino and latina are words that have existed for millions of years, so that's the important part

Latin as in Latin Americans.

And apparently the pronunciation is just “Latin Ecks” 🤷‍♂️

Blinkz0rz posted:

the descriptive words for folks of latin american origin in spanish are latino and latina because spanish is a gendered language

latinx respects the gender-like suffix while removing the gendering itself

iirc spanish also has no way of expressing a person of latin american origin who is non-binary so latinx does that as well

yes I’m aware of WHY people use latinx.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 29, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i have never known a person of latin american descent to say "latinx"

as with many of these generalizations it's term that can nearly always be replaced by something more specific, or if not, it should make you question whether you really need to be grouping people that way

AFAIK it has its origins in American acadamia. apparently without any thought given as to how to pronounce it.

Kenny Logins posted:

block, by reference to your example, calling someone a latin is exactly the same as calling someone an oriental. maybe that helps

😬

I didn’t mean “a latin”, just “latin” instead of “latino” or “latina” vs “latinx”, but if that’s still the implication then eww never mind

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 29, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I’m part Mexican and have never heard any of my family, young or old, use the term latinx. seems like a term only used in writing.

but they also just call themselves Mexican, or Mexican-American.

and yeah, don’t throw all people from former Spanish colonies into one big group. :eng101:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

this thread has gotten real fuckin bad in the past couple of pages and i feel we're like 3 bad posts away from attack helicopter jokes

that wasn’t my intention at all, for what it’s worth.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BsideRare/status/1333105886240313348

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
maybe the real answer for most people lies somewhere in the middle, planning your meals ahead of time, and, if you want, making some stuff in advance so if you’re too wiped out to make dinner one night you have something you can reheat that isn’t garbage food, but not being a robot about it and making some fresh meals if possible.

🤷‍♂️

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

im watching Backdraft (1991) and this is a reminder that firefighters are really good

yeah but the movie is funny/weird because ARE TRADITIONS!!! There’s a lot of tradition in this place! Let me tell you about our firefighter traditions! It’s been 3 minutes, let me tell you about our traditions!

arson investigators are another matter, though. apparently a lot of them are bozos who took a short class and boom, now they’re arson investigators. apparently there’s a lot of guesswork and unscientific methods that get passed off as foolproof evidence 🤷‍♂️

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that sucks

are you sure Nancy Pelosi isn’t your PM?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

i presume it’s mega cool to dislike tool

I presume by claiming that tool is average that you lift yourself above everyone else and stake your superiority claim

My extreme dislike of Maynard James Keenan has made me stop listening to tool.

Sober is still a banger tho, and I can put aside my distaste when it’s on the radio.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
sorry echi but a young dude jerkin it to milfs isn’t the same as a grown man inviting 16 yo girls to his vineyard in hopes of banging them

edit: even without being a creep, Maynard James Keenan is still a fucker because his ego is so big it barely fits on planet earth.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my gf's mom has intractable depression and has been thru the gauntlet of treatment attempts, from therapy to antidepressants to fuckin ECT, nothing has really worked. they recently approved ketamine as an end of line treatment option, so she tried that. she got so hosed up she didn't recognize the inside of her own house where she's lived for 40 years

gently caress, now I wanna be a tcc weirdo and get all hosed up on ketamine

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

"why didn't they teach me to do taxes"

the 1040 is two pages

yeah it's so stupid. when i was in highschool there was no e-filing for taxes. you drove to the post office, got the forms, took them home and filled them out by hand (with the help of a calculator), and then mailed them in. on the last day to mail your taxes in, the post office would stay open late so you could still get that April 15th post mark.

learning how to do any of that as part of the official school curriculum would've been a huge waste of time, and of no help in today's age of free TurboTax Online etc. even back then, though, filing out a 1040ez (which was all most people needed) by hand was stupidly easy.

yes, some people need more than just the minimum 1040ez or whatever. usually those people can either afford the pay version of TurboTax which has small business support etc., or can afford to go to a professional accountant.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah that's the other stupid thing. for most people in the US it was already easy (file a 1040 or the simplified version, specifically named 1040EZ) and mail it in, and now that it can be done online, usually for free, it's even easier and is mostly just answering Yes/No questions. not as easy as it would be if intuit etc. hadn't lobbied to have themselves be permanent tax filing middlemen, but still easy.

you don't need an entire class on it, but some people :rolleyes:

i don't think it's a generational thing, though, because my boomer stepfather also had it etched into his mind that it was some Herculean task, and so even from a young age he had an accountant do it. "i don't wanna get reamed out by the IRS :argh:" etc etc etc