Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

And I didn't think them burning a massive pile of money could get dumber.

https://twitter.com/Charliemagne/status/1312169979781865478?s=20

This is extremely disingenuous. Read the actual article and not go by the click-bait headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wouldn't go by a single unsourced tweet as to what capabilities the Democrats have, and there may be other factors not being mentioned or considered that are quite reasonable such that it isn't a matter of lacking spine (especially since Schumer and Dems do by all accounts seem to be taking this nomination seriously as an illegitimate affront to the values they hold dear).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This reminds me of when Mao swam across the yangtse river to try to make a come back except Trump is sinking halfway across and needs to be towed by a tugboat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want Claudia Conway to run for office.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is this the first time a Presidential death certificate, if earnestly filled out, should have death by misadventure as the cause of death?
Because it seems to me that while the odds were he could have survived this thing if he behaved, that Trump has just made his odds of dying astronomically higher and that if/when he bites it from this, now, it won't be him having just finally gotten a bad draw, but rather him having basically killed himself through his own idiocy.

There was President William Henry Harrison, how do you praise that guy was dead in thirty days!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eXXon posted:

Oh yeah she'll make a great VP for Michael Avenatti!!

I was thinking congress but I think in general anyone should run for public office because more people should get involved and participate in representative democracy if they feel they have something of value to add.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Trump has gone full President Clarke.

It's kinda interesting how prescient Babylon 5 was.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Budzilla posted:

Vice Presidential debates don't matter, folks. The fact everyone is talking about a fly and not really caring for the content of the debates says everything. It is probably the most unnewsworthy newsworthy item in this insane year.

On the contrary this matters a lot because it's even more lost time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

From the stands, disgraced coach Hilldawg stands up.

"Oh no... it's just like... oh no!"

It isn't at all similar.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think CGP Grey has a spreadsheet somewhere which calculates EV/HoR apportionment and I imagine if you added PR to it you could figure out what they would get.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hope the House writes a letter to tell Barr and the DOJ and every department to not delete any records and emails so everything can be investigated for crimes.

Josh Lyman posted:

If he does, what recourse do they have?

If he does, it's obstruction of justice. It like with discovery and why big corporations don't delete stuff even if its bad for them if its requested.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 9, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Terminal autist posted:

2020 would be even better if Hillary did in fact get locked up

Hillary didn't commit any crimes, what's your thinking here?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

It's like the fish deciding the barrel is the best place to be!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

The ideological alliance of the American Taliban and the Afghani Taliban reaches a logical conclusion

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1314973971583053824

Not that I think this helps or hurts Trump either way I just find it amusing.

Newsroom had some good moments just for this yeah.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Willo567 posted:

Question - do you think North Korea would likely test another ICBM, even knowing that Trump absolutely hates them and that he's unhinged as gently caress?

Nothing in the past four years suggests this is the North's analysis of Trump.

e:

Willo567 posted:

You do know that he nearly pulled dependents out of South Korea in early 2018, right?

Not only that, but he also had a top Iranian general assassinated.

These events have nothing to do with each other and are two vastly different geopolitical situations; at a minimum, Iran has done nothing to attempt to mollify Trump or appeal to his base instincts while Kim (or his sister?) has played Trump like a puppet. The North Koreans seem to have a pretty good understanding as to what makes Trump tick and know he is too cowardly and chickenshit to actually do anything.

Which the assassination of the Iranian general ultimately bears out, Trump did nothing when Iran launched cruise missiles at US bases in response and injured US service members; because Trump is a cowardly bully who only knows how to punch down at people he thinks will just take it without responding. Iran responded and Trump folded like wet paper.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 11, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hope that HR1 or some subsequent budget bill would increase funding for voting machines in minority and densely populated counties.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rigel posted:

This is not something the Supreme Court is going to hear or object to. If the Biden administration and Congress wants to redo the census, they can.

However, depending on the result it may not be strategically wise. Obviously if its hilariously hosed up then they just have to redo it, but if it ends up merely being something like "well, we think CA may have lost 1 seat they shouldn't and there's now one extra seat in Alabama", then they may want to just let it go and proceed to the redistricting if they end up loving annihilating the GOP at the state level and gain the ability to draw maps in a lot of states. Its more important to ratfuck the GOP in time for 2022, then to risk the ability to draw those maps.

What to do next depends on how badly the census gets messed up, and mathematically there's a decent reason to think that they won't be able to screw it up much. (the CHUD proposal to arbitrarily reduce the count in blue states because of illegal immigration is a totally separate issue that will be trashed by Biden and the new congress).

We don't want to ratfuck the GOP though, we want to draw fair competitive districts that best reflect democratic values. Eliminating Republicans with gerrymanders is how we got in this mess in the first place. Democrats gerrymandered Republicans over half a century ago and it came back to bite Democrats.

Ban gerrymandering, mandate districts be convex, use open source and transparent algorithms to maintain fairness in the system. Republicans nation wide will still lose and be locked out of power forever if they actually have to campaign and win fair elections; some will win seats but this is fine, because its a democracy; and in some places the majority are republicans and should be allowed to elect Republican representatives.

Ideally you'd have Single Transferable Vote and even places like New York would be able to send representatives for Republicans while also allowing blood red states to send additional democrats. A fairer system would be better overall in the long run and not an invitation for more roosters to roost in your attic reminding you of your mistakes.

Being fair as long as it isn't unilateral disarmament and is applied more or less all at once via something like HR.1 will be more than enough to "ratfuck" the GOP where the ratfucking is them losing national relevance because of their failed strategies and discredited ideology; there's no need to go for an eye for an eye, it's risking overreach and a clapback and we're all right back where we started.

Keep an eye on the real prize and that needs keeping an eye on the big picture.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kessler Syndrome isn't likely to happen probably from that. There's a lot of factors that go into it and Kessler himself has iirc mentioned that people distorted what he said.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's really frustrating arguing with people that maybe not everyone should need to work to live, and it isn't feasible for people to live out in the forest if they wanna opt out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

So why exactly is Donald Trump's approach to North Korea bad?

Liberals and centrists keep listing it as a bad thing for East Asia, but I don't see why?

It's been utterly incompetent on every layer; Trump has done neither to make the region safer nor to resolve any of the issues. Almost all positive movement has been because of the work of South Korea's government, NOT TrumpCo.

All Trump has managed to do was basically give North Korea unlimited free time to develop its capabilities and has gotten no real commitments by the North to be less of a regional threat; without actually removing any tension or brinkmanship (Trump has threatened North Korea with violence multiple times).

It's been the worst of all possible worlds and only luck that like with Iran, that there hasn't been a war.

e:

punk rebel ecks posted:

He at least seems to be cooling the relations between the two countries.

There is zero evidence to support that Trump has done anything of the sort.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1316552302480764928

how the gently caress do you spend $20m a day, because that's the biden campaign's latest problem. they might need to hire brad parscale.

I really hope they start dumping it in Texas, Georgia and South Carolina!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My eyes are twitching reading that campaign press statement.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There seems to be a lot of "soap opera fanfic" energy from QAnon where it's like, it's just crossovers all the way down and sudden allegiance changes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mango sentinel posted:

This is it. This is the exact type of insane, blatantly incorrect statement people will be saying about Trump in a decade.

No it really isn't. While yes, Reagan and the Bushes at some degree of self serving political goals do clearly have some sense of patriotism; Bush Sr, was head of the CIA, Bush Jr, was in the national guard and has some sort of military service; the idea of serving in the interest of a broader greater "good" of the national interest of the United States was something we can solidly say occupied some of their thoughts; Trump literally will remain as loathed as Buchanan for decades if not centuries because there is nothing, nothing at all that comes even remotely close of redeeming value to Trump's administration.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Midgetskydiver posted:

And if Reagan had openly poo poo on Vietnam veterans and been caught on audio saying he loved grabbing women by the pussy, he might not have ever become President. The audiences are different. The audience of today has been groomed by decades of RW media and the Overton Window has drastically shifted against organized labor and equitable tax brackets.

Trump may also keel over dead within a year of losing because he's a morbidly obese, drastically unhealthy couch potato who just caught the plague. If he doesn't stick around to remind people of how bad he was, there is a really good chance he gets rehabilitated. Hell, Bush's approval rating when he exited was far lower than Trump's is now and he was rehabilitated within a decade. And Bush killed a million people.

Here's the thing, the people who have an interest in "rehabbing" Trump will be the today's version of the Nixon cultists, the people who felt Bork should've been confirmed, the people who invented a entire news channel to prevent it from happening again. Trump will have its far right adherents and cultists, people who continue to cling onto QAnon 10 years from now will keep arguing how Trump was a good President and so on; but it won't be liberals, it won't be Democrats, and if the GOP manages to right course and unfuck their insanity it won't be them either.

Like Democrats today say "Well even Nixon did good things" because Nixon actually did good things! Mainly due to the Democratic Congress at the time because domestically Nixon didn't care as much; but Democrats by and large, especially those in Blue states, aren't going to "rehab" Trump; instead Trump will always remain a boogeyman and an effective political tool to fight Republicans.

Trump passed tax cuts and gutted Obama's most important legislative achievement, he doesn't have any achievements to his name, he killed 250,000 Americans; he ain't being rehabbed by anyone remotely close to the center of the political spectrum.

People in deep red areas like Manchin might have to thread the needle because its Trump country, but that's not going to rehab Trump. Trump is not being rehabbed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fantastic news, hopefully this slows down exploitation of Bolivia's lithium.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What grinds my goat is that having a massively thick bill was a major thing Republicans used to attack the PPACA (while in fact having lots of verbose regulations is good because it provides direction and clarity for the services being defined and instantiated) but now that Trump claims to have a 1200 page phonebook of accomplishments regardless of whether its a blank potemkin village it's just crickets!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are the last debates tonight?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Trump even if graded on a curve relative to his first debate and the townhall still lost majorly because he offered nothing of substance, acted as petty, arrogant and vindictive as usual, and continued to channel aggressive 4channer troll energy with plenty of sound bites of being utterly callous.

As I wrote in the Polliwonks thread millions of people have already voted, and mainly for Biden. Trump needs to make up a massive deficit of potentially millions of votes with less than 11 days remaining in the campaign, he needed to do more than not piss his pants he needed to make up for lost ground.

Instead whatever improvement in his unbelievably lovely behaviour was probably obliterated by the broadside that was Biden who had his best performance.

By any stretch of the imagination this was still a disaster for Trump because if nothing else because everything else was a disaster and he needed a prussian miracle to save him at this point and it didn't materialize.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VH4Ever posted:

My guess? Congestive Heart Failure. We shall see. I'm not a doctor. But that...that can't be good.

I've heard its probably because he fell again and that's the usual reaction in old people from the meds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like Biden ended up slightly stumbling in reaction to that, like don't explain the joke, just laugh do the "Get a load of this guy" look and move on.

PhazonLink posted:

what if tortoise dies before the judge nom is complete?

the gang of regressive scats are alrteadytoo stupid to barely get unified just to get this just through.

This isn't likely, what we're seeing I don't think is indicative of anything serious but I do would expect in this hypothetical for there to be a delay in proceedings while a majority leader is figured out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's pretty cool that Obama is good at sports, that was pretty epic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Biden specifically saying conservatives is actually a very Lincoln like word-choice here that I think it potentially very optimistic. Because he doesn't say Republicans which means that the commission might have 1 or 2 token Republicans and the "conservative" makeup are either conservative Dems (who have largely seem to be coming around to the idea) or "independents" who also are probably persuadable to back expanding the supreme court for the numerous practical reasons beyond "winning on liberal/left issues".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Trump is going to have years of litigation ahead of him and if he doesn't die the state level charges absolutely will see him inside a cell.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

He won't go to jail, and I don't think that's what he's worried about. He's worried about losing his lovely empire.

If he lives long enough to see the conclusion of the process jail is pretty certain. New York wants his head.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am essentially increasingly concerned that there is just an irreconcilable and intractable polarization in America in which a much larger share of the population than expected is far more prone to readily accepting fascism than losing their perceived socioeconomic position. I'm not sure if the 'center can hold' under that sort of assault and this is just like a 4 year truce; something along the lines of the gap between 1923 and 1933 in Weimar.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

crossposting from the corona thread, but something just occurred to me

rightwing media has done everything in their power to downplay the pandemic because they didn't want to make trump look bad. but if biden becomes president, do you think we'll start seeing fox news blaring death counts every day on their chyrons? on the one hand, the answer may seem obviously yes. but on the other hand, acknowledging those deaths means treating covid as a serious threat.

I'm thinking we'll see some very :umberto: esque lines of attack of "Biden's not doing enough! / Biden's doing too much!" and also depends on the locality. R heavy states may want to continue to downplay it for fear of inciting their base.

However right wing media can only do so much, you have Fox News and OANN and Fox isn't going to tack super hard down the crazy rabbit hole for something that's legit killing thousands of people while OANN and Sinclair are the big ones (and RT) to look out for.

But the real threat is social media, misinformation being spread by foreign adversaries, and Qultists. America is basically infiltrated by a lovecraftian deathcult of insane lunatics.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Austin passed a 4.7 billion$ or so plan to build light rail for the city, that's cool.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has anyone edited any Yugioh clips to meme the election yet? I feel like there's about a half dozen or so scenes that work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Djarum posted:

Sadly I believe that has to be approved by the House and Senate again which unless the Democrats take the 2 GA Senate seats isn't going to happen.

Treaties need Senate confirmation. Resolution's don't.

Gatts posted:

I think it is just a foregone conclusion to dump all in to the GA and NC run offs. Don’t have a choice and go for it hard.

NC isn't a runoff election, it's pending the count of the remaining mailin/late arriving mail and will be done Nov 12th ish, it's a long shot but possible.