Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

evilweasel posted:

they absolutely cannot gently caress the process up more by not boycotting, if by boycotting they can deny a quorum. they can always show up when republicans assemble one

Senate quorum is 51 senators so leaving the Senate does nothing at their current numbers unless they can get 3 Republican senators to flee with them which, like, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

99% time on here when people use "X is a cop" they are using that to refer to the civil police force and to refer to the massive massive problems those forces have.

While yes, they are a federal law enforcement agency its extremely misleading to say "The USSS are cops" because thats going to imply that they have the same massive issues with race, brutality etc etc etc.

While you are the technically correct ( the best kind of correct) the implications of saying X is a cop is complex and I don't think its a really appropriate fit.

The Secret Service ransacked tabletop roleplaying game designer Steve Jackson's house and took his computers on completely specious grounds in 1990 because they're cops just as prone to abuse of power as any other cops. The government subsequently paid out over a quarter million dollars in the resulting civil lawsuit because of this. The Secret Service is literally how I learned ACAB.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the same strategy they have been doing the entire time since Biden got the nomination.

Just hook Trump up to an ECMO machine and keep sending him to rallies.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

Presuming he's alive Trump is going to reek such havoc in his lame duck that I think people will give Biden more then a couple of days grace to right the ship.

The real problem of course is that the neoliberal order (not to mention climate) to which both parties subscribe dogmatically is faltering globally, Trump was a symptom of that collapse and his defeat will do nothing to ameliorate the conditions which allowed him to come to power in the first place.

You'd better believe that people like Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley are ready in the wings with the MAGA Fascism 2.0 for 2024. Imagine a 40 or 50 year old fascist without a degenerative mental disorder running against an 82-year-old doddering Joe Biden who has presided over 4 years of austerity budgets, stagnant economic growth, worsening natural disasters, and rising civil unrest. That's what's next for us.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

I realize this does not apply to the majority of people, but as someone with celiacs I am endlessly tired of gluten free being a synonym for sissy somehow. It’s a loving food allergy, how is it that people with peanut or shellfish allergies are ok but if I’m allergic to wheat it’s because I’m weak and effeminate (as if that was a bad thing anyways?). It also owns that my mom has celiacs but voted for the party that genuinely believes gluten free stuff is a liberal hoax to make people become trans (yes that a real thing).

It's because there's a ton of people who have fake fad gluten intolerance and it's become a new liberal cultural signifier to fake that along with a bunch of other bullshit medical stuff (food intolerances of all kinds for example).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

You know, Trump could have kept on living his pre-presidential life and kept having a great time. He could still be hosting the Apprentice, still appearing on the Howard Stern to rate women, still running miss universe contests etc. He could still be doing all the usual white collar crimes he was doing and completely getting away with it. Still building towers in more authoritarian countries etc. None of it would have a real negative effect on the American people. All he had to do was...just keep doing what he was doing. But no, he had to enter the public sector. He had to make his life effect everyone else's. And if he had just kept being the clownish "businessman" he probably wouldn't be currently laboring to breathe. He had a life that 99% of us would have killed to have. But it just wasn't enough.

His taxes suggest this was actually impossible due to his skyrocketing debt repayment and personally secured loans, and offer a hint as to why he would run for president.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Still Dismal posted:

Some of the people pushed into the dem camp by Trump will absorb the parties positions by osmosis, especially on stuff they didn’t already care about. If they came off Trump in the first place they probably weren’t Fox super fans, so they will probably turn away from it.

Do you have any specific examples of Biden Democratic positions you think a Trump-turned-Biden exile Republican will adopt by osmosis?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Awesome thread calling out the "ECONOMICALLY INSECURE WHITES" horseshit being trotted out about the Michigan terror cell.

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1314578622246719488

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Someone looked up the plot: The guy OWNED his land and the prefab house on it.

He's far from impovrished, he was always a racist and bigot.

Honestly the two late model pickups are a red flag by themselves. You can leverage yourself up to your eyeballs for one truck but you aren't going to have two unless you're comfortable and have assets.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pick posted:

Why would that change anything anyway? These are the super genius brains that thought that if you kill the governor there just, isn't a Michigan state government anymore. I mean, do these people think that the Oklahoma City bombing actually worked? That it accomplished the goals that they were after? Do they think that if Gavin Newsom gets into a car accident and dies that everybody just throws up their hands and accept that Virginia doesn't exist anymore? It does seem like they had a streak of anarchist thought, just the stupidest version that has ever existed that you would actually have to be a stupid baby to believe.

It's terrorism you loving idiot, you dumb clown, you piece of poo poo. They want to use violence on a few high profile members of their political, ideological, and societal enemies to terrorize them into removing themselves from the public square and leave the ground open for their ideological allies LIKE THE MICHIGAN STATE HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER WHO SPOKE AT THEIR RALLY to take control of the government.

gently caress me this is a dumb take.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pick posted:

Yes, hence pointing out the Oklahoma State bombing. That absolutely didn't work, it did not accomplish ANY of its societal goals despite being in many ways the more successful version of what they were planning.

People would absolutely commit assassinations more often if they were successful in a broad sense. The reason that it has almost always been crazy people like Guiteau is it really really really does not work. Gabby Giffords getting shot didn't stop her husband, and Feinstein's dead friends didn't stop her from ascending to the Senate.

Timothy McVeigh didn't meet Terry Nichols at a rally where the two of them also met with the Republican state senate leadership for Oklahoma.

The Michigan kidnap plotters met at a rally where they also met, behind closed doors, with Mike Shirkey, the Republican State Senate majority leader. This is the same guy holding an anti-Whitmer rally today: https://www.michiganadvance.com/202...ot-against-her/

I hope you understand the difference between these two actions and how much more dangerous ultra-right terrorism has become now that advocates of its underlying ideology have taken control of the Republican party apparatus.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

This is 100% untrue. It gets brought up a lot by the 'it is about class, not race' flavor of leftist who argue that focusing on anything but class is pointless. I don't see them in here but they were pretty loud in some of the Bernie groups I was in.

Yeah as a leftist I see this poo poo being trotted out by idiotic Jacobin-adjacent white leftists who have no awareness of intersectional issues more than I see it being trotted out by liberals. The liberal equivalent is thinking Biden should peel off nervous suburban whites who voted for Trump by putting Cindy McCain on his transition team and triangulating hard on issues like fracking that don't even have majority support because his campaign consultants identified five people in suburban Pennsylvania who are allergic to the phrase "foreign oil", not that he can appeal to poor rural whites with an economic populism platform or that chuds can somehow be rehabilitated.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Jacobin-adjacent performative Marxists who believe the only place for praxis is a college political science classroom are unfortunately (for all of us) still leftists.

I didn't say they weren't.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Hillary and Kissenger in jail together.

Don't threaten me with a good time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Djarum posted:

I will say if the GOP tries to pull nonsense to give Trump the election you will see the end of peaceful protests and the end of the United States.

Normally I would say that they are both smart and aware of as well as fearful of the ramifications of this. But we all know how frankly batshit insane the right is now. The only thing that makes me fairly certain they would try such nonsense is that the wealthy still control them and most politicians. The last thing the wealthy wants is massive instability, the US breaking up and likely their heads on a pike.

Haha no, you'll see a bunch of liberals who called Trump a fascist yesterday decide tomorrow that they're way more comfortable with the boot crushing "rioters" than they are opposing fascism when it's going to cost them something.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nessus posted:

You also get the hilarious situations of, say, Wisconsin immediately declaring they're throwing out the ballots and giving the EVs to Trump-- and then Biden wins anyway from TX, NC and FL, and now they just shot themselves in the collective dick for nothing!

This would obviously be coordinated among the Republican party apparatus to determine a) what's the minimum state/states they need to outright steal to win and b) which particular state or states do the Republicans have the highest level of control in? They've got over a month to work out how to orchestrate this. The only thing that needs to happen quickly (on election night or shortly after) is for a lot of ballots to go uncounted or be thrown into doubt through declarations of fraud by officials in the right state or states to throw the result itself into doubt and open the door to this kind of maneuver.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the point of not signing off on a clean stimiulus check is that its perhaps the strongest carrot to get republicans to agree to other things that are more improtant because its a political win for trump (I, your favorite president just gave you money!)

Leaving aside the fact that it's a political win for the bad man, what is a higher priority than cash payments to the tens of thousands of people who can't like, buy food or pay their electric bill or afford a COVID test right now? Much less rent.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lemming posted:

Unless I've missed something huge, there is no clean stimulus check bill on the table, it's just one of Trump's random flails that he got spooked into making after he announced there would be no deal at all randomly on twitter. It's not like Democrats are refusing to do something, Pelosi just flubbed a really easy question about something that the Republicans would already never agree to in the first place

Yeah neither of these things is most likely ever going to happen because the Republicans in the Senate are lizard people. However, Trump might be able to pressure Mitch into getting something passed if the Democrats were also shouting about it, and a $1200 cash payment is the "lesser evil" ( I'm very clever ) over nothing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

But why not start with something that would do even more good and still give Trump a win? Extending unemployment.

I'm not sure I agree that structuring relief as an employment-contingent benefit vs cash payments with all of the bullshit that is applied to that in many states included. A friend of mine was literally evicted while waiting on an unemployment appeal. They ran out of money, the state unemployment website was and still is a total disaster so they spent weeks fruitlessly trying to submit information and get their appeal heard, they couldn't make rent, and they were forced into homelessness because they were in an unregistered/illegal sublet and the owner threw all their poo poo out, locked them out, and threatened to call the cops on them for trespass.

That said, has Trump ever actually expressed support for extending unemployment the same way he has for giant prize checks with his name on them?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

My point really is that it's not exactly hard to get counted. 10 goddamn minutes to fill out 5 really basic questions. If they don't want to be counted, then gently caress them. People need to have some skin in the game.

Uh what about people who don't have a reliable address?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

I don't think you know what a census actually is. Think it through. Clue: Homeless shelters will give anyone that wants one a reliable address if they need it.

We have five thousandish unsheltered homeless in my city who are routinely refused services. Are you seriously advocating that just stopping the census before even the census bureau thinks it's complete is acceptable?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

Yep. They choose not to be counted, when they are easily countable, because they do not give a poo poo. The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented. Remember, these people aren't participating in society in any capacity. They're not employed, they're not paying taxes, they're not voting, they're not doing anything productive with their lives whatsoever. They can do better, but they choose not to.

For the purposes of government representation, it's important to count people that want government representation. If they don't want to be represented, then who the hell cares?

:stare:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

There are better ways of solving this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commitment_(mental_health)

P.S. You get a permanent address that way, so that the census can reach you without all of this other BS.

Given the choice of the current state of affairs and mass imprisonment of those unable to find lawful housing for themselves under our current system, which is preferable to you?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

What grinds my goat is that having a massively thick bill was a major thing Republicans used to attack the PPACA (while in fact having lots of verbose regulations is good because it provides direction and clarity for the services being defined and instantiated) but now that Trump claims to have a 1200 page phonebook of accomplishments regardless of whether its a blank potemkin village it's just crickets!

You understand that the obvious fake props are just another way of owning the libs right? It's like throwing a pie at someone.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

You can't say you're going to "listen to scientists" and then ignore when they tell you things you don't want to hear.

Sure you can. You listen to them, smile and nod, make some perfunctory noises, and then refuse to issue shutdown orders (epidemiologists) or ban fracking (climatologists). Listening doesn't mean acting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Scoop: Douglas Macgregor joining Pentagon as senior adviser to Acting SecDef. Sends the strongest possible signal that Trump wants to accelerate withdrawal of troops from the Middle East before the end of his presidency. https://t.co/grODh5w3aN

I heard talking about how excited I am about Joe Biden belongs in this thread now, so I wanted to share that I am very excited to be able to look forward to hearing from Joe Biden about how we need to send troops back into Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Can I just note how hilariously on-brand it is that the Democrats' pro-deportation ghoul is a Latina? #representation #girlboss

This will always, always be the symptom of liberal tokenism. See also: black police chiefs in blue cities (Brown in Chicago, Outlaw in Philly, Best in Seattle, as examples) presiding over the absolute shithousing of BLM protesters. Somehow this poo poo is more palatable when the person delivering the tear gas, the deportations, the beatings, or the killings can claim to share an identity with the victims.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gerund posted:

I'm very excited to learn if rebuilding the immigration apparatus means we get branded Joe Biden Baby Jails or if they can find a way to admit they hosed up without saying it like that.

Those are just the current baby jails though

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't there a Democratic mayor saying that the BLM protests turned violent because of white toxic masculinity or something like that?

Yeah Jenny Durkan (Seattle mayor) went in hard on the "good protestor/bad protestor" narrative and basically tried to frame any direct action or refusals to disperse as white male privilege.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

We had a multi-page derail about it yesterday and I'm a firm believer in the basic philosophy of "If I am using someone's gender, orientation, or race as part of my dunk, I should probably not post it", but sure, we can find a way to codify it somewhere.

Extremist tokenism is a real thing, though. Institutional decision-makers will intentionally advance representatives who have both extremist ideology and the right ethnic/racial/sexual identity because they know such a representative will make the extremist ideology more palatable to liberals than if a cis hetero white guy is delivering the same message.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

People aren’t offended by “Democrat party,” they just recognize it as a sign that the very concerned person using it is not actually on the left as they claim to be.

Democrats are left now?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pick posted:

The Vanity Fair article on the Dept of Agriculture did a great job showing rural whites do not think of straight-up government handouts as assistance or money from the government. Like even when it's literally cash assistance, from the department of agriculture, a part of the government, they mentally do not process it as money they did not simply The Secret into existence. Literally claiming cash subsidies are not "government assistance".

A lot of propaganda dollars have gone into this being possible. Like, probably billions of dollars have been burned on the cognitive dissonance machine required to create a rhetorical gap between "welfare" and "stimulus."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

Medicaid is very popular actually. Even a majority of Republicans view it favorably.

Please no one tell Joe Biden about this, he and Kamala will get on TV and convince all the liberals that up is down again.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kalit posted:

Do you have any information on this with regards to during the Obama administration? I'm not sure if I quite agree, if only for the Bin Laden raid. To be fair, maybe Clinton had more of a pull in that decision, but Biden was against it when Obama pulled the trigger.

E: Granted, if you look at Biden's whole senate career, that's definitely a different story. But I would put more weight on his time during the Obama administration since it's more recent.

He put Avril Haines in charge of picking his foreign policy and national security transition team. That's the same Avril Haines who you may remember as John Brennan's point-woman on operationalizing Obama's dronemurder policy and who later endorsed CIA black site torturer Gina Haspel to become Trump's CIA director.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sorry Nancy come back and talk to me when you've got a one thousand time match

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Taking it out would actually work.

That would require a few hours of simulator training for pilots, which would jeopardize the entire airline profit grift (compared to grounding hundreds of jets which is something that the airlines can say they couldn't plan for when bullshitting the analysts).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1329878933043515392?s=20

Are we just crowdfunding a government in exile here or what

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Bernie lost fair and square, too.

I mean the dnc and Obama ratfucked him hard, but that's pretty much what our electoral system is designed to do so I wouldn't call it unfair exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The important thing is that we ignore all the war crimes once someone leaves office

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1330759226403266560?s=20