Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

The timeline is the White House tried to hide Hick’s positive test (because trump had flipped out last time the White House disclosed a positive test) and it leaked anyway so people started asking real pointed questions real fast.

But they definitely didn't know before yesterday because the Secret Service wouldn't have let her near him if she had a positive test, much less let her ride with him in Marine One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Youth Decay posted:

That is, assuming Barrett isn't infected as well.

Also assuming that this spreading event doesn't include any GOP senators. Considering they've probably been whipping hard for Barrett this last week that's not exactly a long shot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crackbone posted:

There are actually a few Polio survivors today who require one.

Technically they can use positive pressure ventilation instead, but they greatly prefer the iron lungs for myriad reasons.

Like everything healthcare related it is a really hosed up situation now. The medical device company which originally made the iron lungs got bought out by some of the big ones (maybe Abbott? not sure) and part of the conditions for the buyout was that the new company had to service the iron lungs until the people who depend on them pass. But keeping old medical hardware running is really really loving expensive as it requires one-off fabrication of parts and keeping a team of people trained and ready to respond to any problems, so the new company has basically done everything in their power to force the iron lung users to either switch to newer ventilators or (through inaction, lovely response times, and overall negligence of the iron lungs) die.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1312042320976646146

Friday’s just starting, they know there are more cases because people are symptomatic. I’d also not trust their negative test results at least for a week.

This whole thing really highlights the folly of the "bubble" or "pod" approach. Since people aren't perfect it is a matter of time before the virus slips into the bubble, and when it does it spreads like wildfire because the people within aren't bothering to do anything to mitigate spread.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

:munch: Less than 24 hours since Trump tested positive and there's already one GOP senator. Im gonna double down and say this is gonna hit more than just Lee.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DandyLion posted:

Lol that that last 1% is just :discourse:

By that logic shouldn't they declare the opposite result as fact instead?

No, "false negative" statistics are a bit weird to interpret when you are testing a population that is mostly negative. It does however mean that if you only test each person once odds are you miss one positive person for every one you catch, and that's really bad.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean I've seen patients crump fast with covid but that would be really quick for donald, if he is indeed incapacitated to the point he can't even tweet.

I think it's more likely he's had something resembling a nervous breakdown. We vilify him and everything and rightfully so but he still is technically human and I can imagine how this would loving wreck him between the ears.

That's what I suspect too. He isn't the sort to take this sort of news well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was checking out reddit and every single post about Trump right now has people going "don't wish for death because decorum." Every single post on the front page I clicked on this seemed to be the general consensus. Then there's a post on r/baking or r/cooking or whatever of someone making a cake that says "Trump has COVID" and in all places the people there were generally saying "no gently caress that, I DO wish for death for him" or "I have fireworks ready for when/if he dies" and "I can't wait to see all the celebrations when he dies."

Two things: the moderators are likely axing anyone who says they are happy and hoping he dies and chuds like to brigade Trump stories so the upvotes aren't representative.

When the news first broke all the upvoted comments on the stories were solidly on the "Lmao! Good thing he's got every comorbidity known!" side of things.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony posted:

Also assuming that this spreading event doesn't include any GOP senators. Considering they've probably been whipping hard for Barrett this last week that's not exactly a long shot.

Shifty Pony posted:

:munch: Less than 24 hours since Trump tested positive and there's already one GOP senator. Im gonna double down and say this is gonna hit more than just Lee.

:allears: I'm gonna have to start reconsidering being agnostic at this rate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

Remaining ones I know that were there and who are on Judiciary: Blackburn, Sasse, Hawley

some of them have tested negative but a negative test during the incubation period (~3 - 14 days, with a mean around 8 days) is not that meaningful

The apparent fact that this is all because of their little ACB nomination victory lap is just too loving good. I wonder what the guest list was at their little private meet and greets because that's the most likely place it happened.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There's no need to conspiracy theory about how he actually had it earlier, sometimes COVID-19 symptoms move incredibly fast. There are numerous stories out there of someone getting a slight fever, hospitalized in a day or two, and in the ICU soon after. Trump getting some mild non-specific symptoms late Wednesday, first testing positive on Thursday, and getting wrecked by it on Friday is an entirely possible timeline.

A timeline which doesn't bode well for his chances btw.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/marisamcnee/status/1312391175400304640

This is such a bizarre answer. He's also still resisting a formal Senate test&trace procedure.

There's no way he wasn't part of the partying post-nomination.

We aren't lucky enough for him to have caught it, but it doesn't stop me from wishing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Data Graham posted:

So just statistically speaking, there will be deaths from this huge clusterfuck, won't there? Out of the like 30-40 we already know about plus however many more big names have yet to be released/tested positive, we WILL have at least one high-profile person die.

Someone else pointed it out earlier but Covid getting into the GOP senate delegation is roughly equivalent to it getting loose in a retirement community. They would have to be very lucky for it not to pick someone off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'd have to dig into the details but IIRC the poke-your-brain PCR test (which detects viral RNA) is more sensitive and will catch infection earlier, but it's unpleasant and has a 1-2 day turnaround.

The rapid antigen tests get results in ~30min but only detect when someone has actively replicating virus and is infectious.

The PCR test is 1-2 day turnaround for plebes, the test itself can result in four hours or so if you don't have to wait for your sample to run. China was able to get enough testing to do hours-long turnaround for citizens in Wuhan during their main response to the virus.

Still the times don't match up with a Thursday afternoon diagnosis.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Darth Walrus posted:

Any Q-watchers been seeing the 'it's a Democrat assassination attempt' theory get any traction yet? It seems like the most obvious (and politically useful) conclusion for them to jump to rather than suddenly buying that COVID-19 is real and deadly and His Royal Trumpness hosed up big time.

I expect "he's faking Covid to give him cover to start the next phase of the pedi roundup" to be the route Q goes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Deteriorata posted:

He'll probably be up and down for a week or two, so he may feel OK for a few days. Most people seem to report it was the third week that kicked them in the rear end.

Variable symptoms are pretty common and the absence of symptoms for a few hours or even a day isn't really anything to go by (even if we trusted the government not to lie about what symptoms he has). My sister had a mild case of it and the few symptoms she had would swing hard from "completely normal" to "gently caress this sucks".

Except loss of taste. That stuck around the whole time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a reminder that this "White House Gift Shop" is completely unaffiliated with the White House and is basically just someone grifting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh good my baby wasn't the only one up screaming at 5AM.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

The securities fraud stuff is five years old (and still pending trial because of fuckery), he was (re?)elected while under indictment. This is something new. And possibly involving the FBI?

The AG secretly hired an "outside prosecutor" to harass the business opponents of a donor who's real estate business is in trouble . That "prosecutor" was firing off subpoenas to those opponents despite having zero authority to do so.

Paxton as released a statement saying he did what he did because his normal prosecutors were conspiring against him or something. He also said there was an FBI investigation into the people his crony subpoenaed but the FBI has said there isn't any active investigation.

What is unclear is how Paxton got roped into this. The donor didn't make a particularly high donation so it is quite possible that Paxton is an investor in the real estate projects and he's trying to keep himself from losing a lot of money.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hopeandjoy posted:

This is exactly it: the only people with anti-air capabilities around DC are the same people who take orders from the president. Therefore it’s safer and faster to take a helicopter than deal with the actual hell on Earth that is DC metro area traffic.

I cannot emphasize enough how god awful DC traffic is.

I think there is also a bit of a gentleman's agreement between the feds and the various governments of the DC metro. The governments will pave the way for motorcades whenever they are asked to, provided they aren't asked to very often.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SocketWrench posted:

We'll hear in a few days how he got back to the WH and yelled at his staff to leave him alone as he rifled through desk drawers and ripped open boxes of Aderall to chug the pills down. "The president had to leave the hospital to get on a drug binge"

Someone with cardiovascular issues hitting the uppers after being put on a powerful corticosteroid seems like a bad idea.

Trump doing it sounds great to me though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

What in the gently caress...?

Drugs are great.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

oh my god he's going to loving crump tonight.

After seeing that video I wouldn't be shocked. drat he looks absolutely godawful and that was not happy breathing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Isn't doing literally anything but sitting in bed a horrible idea when you have pneumonia? Doctors don't say to avoid physical exertion just for funsies, that lung tissue is badly damaged and every single extra cc of gas exchange you make it do is going to damage it a bit more. The only thing that would be dumber than him leaving the hospital bed to go walking around the White House would be if he were to try and give an extended speech....

welp.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

OneMoreTime posted:

Ehh, it sort of depends. There are quite a few studies out there that support pretty quick mobilization if the patient can tolerate it (without O2 levels dropping). While we wouldn't have patients running or anything typically in the ICU we'd at least get patient out of bed and have them walk/pivot to a chair since that's better than nothing. That being said, Trump's not gonna just do a loop around the kitchen and sit back down so yeah, he's gonna find a way to overdo it like he always does.

I guess that makes sense as they do try to get you moving ASAP after surgery.

Still seems like he's pretty deep in the "O2 levels aren't stable" period now though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The immune system is pretty janky and there is always going to be some percentage of people who clear a disease and get no lasting immunity because their immune systems didn't do the "in addition to having B cells turn into antibody making plasma cells, have some B cells turn into Memory B Cells and keep them around" thing for whatever reason.

If getting reinfected was anything but an extremely rare event we'd almost certainly know by now. The real unknown is how long immunity lasts, both from natural exposure and from a vaccine since those can be different.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

they literally also claimed he had no symptoms at all yesterday and then we saw him struggling to breathe lol

why would absolutely anyone believe this poo poo

I can absolutely believe that Trump isn't reporting any symptoms to his doctors.

He still has them, he's just lying about it and his doctors aren't pushing to tease out the facts like they would with a normal patient.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everyone in their neighborhood hates them

Well yeah didn't they tear down some kids' beehives just because they are total assholes?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grondoth posted:

Even the fundies are more interested in trying to chip off trans from the LGBTQ block than attacking gay people anymore.

That's not true. They just see trans issues as an easy way to fracture the LGBTQ block but hurting gay people is still part of their plan. They've admitted in their hate conferences that once they get gays and lesbians to turn against trans folks the next step is to get gays and lesbians to fight each other (and to exploit class and racial divides in the gay and lesbian communities) at which point they hope they can slip a gay marriage ban through because there won't be organized opposition.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It amuses me greatly that Parscale spent all of the Trump Campaign money this spring.

Edit: and now Trump can't fundraise because he infected himself. Extra funny if we find out a bunch of GOP money ghouls ended up paying $250k per person to get COVID.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mutata posted:

Narcissists make poor puppets. At least I imagine they do, I don't actually know jack poo poo about anything anymore.

They make horrible puppets because they thrive on spinning drama to either justify their persecution complex, make people pay attention to them, or to make people dependent on them. Trump can't just gently caress off and go on vacation for four years because then people wouldn't be paying attention to him and that absolutely cannot be allowed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This bodes worse for his health. IMO

Yeah the conclusion I draw from that is they hoped to get a better take today and couldn't.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fun thought - one of the issues people who recover from Covid commonly have is hair loss. Like, big chunks come out.

So even if Trump does make it, he's likely got that to look forward to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm surprised it took Republicans so long to realize that they could just not follow the laws, and no one could stop them.

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/1313992081334042625?s=20

Since accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt, couldn't that jeopardize their law licenses? Especially the tampering charge.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s also not remotely out of the woods yet

Right.

One of the things that I think got glossed over in the stuff his doctors said yesterday is that if he only has so few antibodies that there was a question about whether or not they were residual from the Regeneron treatment that is a pretty strong indication that he actually did just get infected last week. If he was further along like some people thought his blood should have been chock full of them to the point that there wouldn't have been any doubt and if that were the case his doctor would be blaring those results loudly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Data Graham posted:

I still keep an eye on the stats on a roughly daily basis and holy gently caress this does not look like a thing that's even going away on a long-tail sort of decline

Yet here in liberal hellhole Austin we're approaching late March early April levels:

It is really crazy how this has become a rural and Midwest disease.

Othin posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/ohio-injunction-ballot-boxes-election/index.html

I wonder if this gives any chance of something similar happening in Texas?

There is a chance. The Texas Supreme Court smacked down some Republicans trying to nix Abbott's early voting extension, and the fifth circuit has said that changes can't be made this close to the election. That said every day it takes to overturn his order is one where someone isn't able to easily drop off their ballot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

e.pilot posted:

I wonder what the connection could possibly be, alas we may never know. :iiam:

Hah! I mean we all know why, just from an epidemiological point of view you wouldn't expect that. It took a special kind of stupid for us to make it happen, it is impressive in a train wreck way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bellmaker posted:

Big donors might be turning off the taps seeing the outcome looks bleak?

They also might be turning off the taps seeing as Trump tried to infect a batch of them by doing a $250k per seat fundraiser while he was likely infectious.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pick posted:

I mean Trump does the leverage of going apeshit on them and costing them that part of their base in a Senate race?

I do think Trump could cost McConnell his race, I think he's the only one who could.

Trump could yank the Barret nomination until stimulus is passed. McConnell would pass it next day.

He won't of course but still it would be funny to see them get stung by the scorpion they've let ride them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dubious posted:

what? a run of the mill average AR-15 is around 400 bucks. I just bought a brand new one and the scope i bought with it was more than the rifle.

The real money sink is always the accessories. And oh boy do the militia types love their overpriced "tactical" poo poo.