Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Name will fire two REGULAR BOLTS out blindly into the mist in the general direction of the baddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will attempt to open a portal several hundred feet above the ground, figuring that should probably alleviate any fog at ground level.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Name will fire two REGULAR BOLTS out blindly into the mist in the general direction of the baddies

You blast them out into the silent mist. If they hit anything you don't hear it.

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe will attempt to open a portal several hundred feet above the ground, figuring that should probably alleviate any fog at ground level.

Your mage instincts reveal that you have no idea where the group is and so cannot open a portal to where they are. Bullshit? Perhaps. But if there's a way to figure it out, maybe it can still be done. If.

naem
May 29, 2011

Naem will lean forward and cock an ear into the mist listening for an’thing

“Cock!! Heh! Heh heh.”

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You blast them out into the silent mist. If they hit anything you don't hear it.

Your mage instincts reveal that you have no idea where the group is and so cannot open a portal to where they are. Bullshit? Perhaps. But if there's a way to figure it out, maybe it can still be done. If.

>>Fortunately bullshit is Marlowe's middle name. Or would be if they had one that could be pronounced in anything approaching a human language. The beholder will use their Detective abilities along with Eyemancy and Abyssal Gaze to open a portal several hundred feet up, basing the location on the fact that the group would obviously have taken the most direct and quickest route to their target location from the nearest town.

>>If that doesn't work the beholder will instead open a portal into town.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 13, 2023

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog is out of mist-dispelling ideas and hope that someone else comes up with one, but for now he readies an action to smack the first bandit that draws close enough for him to see

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"This is bullshit." She peers into the mist ineffectually. "Where the gently caress is Marlowe? He lives for this poo poo. Fucker split the party again."

>>She mentally catalogs the spells she knows. Most of them require line of sight. "Hmm, that might work. If he's close enough." She points to the sky and casts Charlotte's Web: "STOP loving AROUND" appears in the sky in glowing web energy. Webergy.

>>To her pals, "Hopefully Marlowe will know what that means, and anyone else will think they ate the bad mushrooms."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Naem will lean forward and cock an ear into the mist listening for an’thing

“Cock!! Heh! Heh heh.”

you can't hear anything, it's completely silent, even when you laugh to yourself.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog is out of mist-dispelling ideas and hope that someone else comes up with one, but for now he readies an action to smack the first bandit that draws close enough for him to see

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"This is bullshit." She peers into the mist ineffectually. "Where the gently caress is Marlowe? He lives for this poo poo. Fucker split the party again."

>>She mentally catalogs the spells she knows. Most of them require line of sight. "Hmm, that might work. If he's close enough." She points to the sky and casts Charlotte's Web: "STOP loving AROUND" appears in the sky in glowing web energy. Webergy.

>>To her pals, "Hopefully Marlowe will know what that means, and anyone else will think they ate the bad mushrooms."

:rolldice:

If Marlowe can see the message, you don't know. But you do know that it seems like the bandits are gone, as well as Skump & her hoard of stuff. In all directions there is only mist, and silence.

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Fortunately bullshit is Marlowe's middle name. Or would be if they had one that could be pronounced in anything approaching a human language. The beholder will use their Detective abilities along with Eyemancy and Abyssal Gaze to open a portal several hundred feet up, basing the location on the fact that the group would obviously have taken the most direct and quickest route to their target location from the nearest town.

>>If that doesn't work the beholder will instead open a portal into town.

:rolldice::rolldice: -14 15
you still can't figure out where the rest of the group is, but you're able to open a portal to what you're pretty sure is the last town they were at

naem
May 29, 2011

Eyes wide, Naem will begin firing wildly out into the mist and backing up to be close the the group

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will take the petrified beholder corpse with them and head into the town, figuring that being closer might help their further attempts at finding the group. Plus they need to get that book on optics and ideally a large meal - since beholders are fine with raw meat the quickest way to get that would seem to be to just purchase a whole cow carcass and stuff themselves to the gills - but despite their hunger the sense of unease at not being able to locate their golems, and thus the group, is for now taking precedence.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Eyes wide, Naem will begin firing wildly out into the mist and backing up to be close the the group

You shoot several shots and they don't even hit trees anymore. You get the feeling guys are in deep poo poo like it's a trap or somethin

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe will take the petrified beholder corpse with them and head into the town, figuring that being closer might help their further attempts at finding the group. Plus they need to get that book on optics and ideally a large meal - since beholders are fine with raw meat the quickest way to get that would seem to be to just purchase a whole cow carcass and stuff themselves to the gills - but despite their hunger the sense of unease at not being able to locate their golems, and thus the group, is for now taking precedence.

The town guard assembles & their captain pipes up: "What business could you have here, creature?"

naem
May 29, 2011

Breathing deep, Naem bellows out the call of his people

BENÉDICT!!

*dramatic pause*

CÜMMERBÆCHT!!!!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You shoot several shots and they don't even hit trees anymore. You get the feeling guys are in deep poo poo like it's a trap or somethin

The town guard assembles & their captain pipes up: "What business could you have here, creature?"

>>"Hey, relax guy..." Marlowe says, brandishing their Detective and Friend of the Inquisition credentials "... just here looking for some friends that came through the town recently with a caravan a couple of weeks back. Need some food and to pick up a delivery waiting for me at the post office and then I'll be on my way."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>Baker climbs up on the wagon looking around suspiciously. "First Marlowe wanders off and now Skump? poo poo. Naem stay close to the wagon, okay."

naem
May 29, 2011

Naem nods as he backs bravely right up against the wagon and bravely looks out into the mist with his eyes wide open and crossboo definitely not at all shaking as he points it in various directions

“i’ve yelled and shot at things, that’s me whoole skill set. Any spider based ideas lass?”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"I don't know buddy. It's mist. Can't web it. Can't stab it. Can't even pick it's pockets." She looks around, "As far as I can tell there is nothing out there. But I don't trust it."

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog is going to do some weird magic poo poo and invert his odour magic, and see if he can catch the scent of the missing Slump, and hopefully track her through the fog!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>"Hey, relax guy..." Marlowe says, brandishing their Detective and Friend of the Inquisition credentials "... just here looking for some friends that came through the town recently with a caravan a couple of weeks back. Need some food and to pick up a delivery waiting for me at the post office and then I'll be on my way."

He's extraordinarily suspicious and wants to have one of his dudes get your mail for you. Really they just don't seem enthusiastic about you going into town.

naem posted:

Breathing deep, Naem bellows out the call of his people

BENÉDICT!!

*dramatic pause*

CÜMMERBÆCHT!!!!

:rolldice: 38, but you crit fail. Probably this is not a big deal. You all can talk normally while the bellow echoes out

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog is going to do some weird magic poo poo and invert his odour magic, and see if he can catch the scent of the missing Slump, and hopefully track her through the fog!

:rolldice: 18
you know this scent... yet only detect a strange acrid odor, which is getting stronger... your paladinic senses tell u... something wicked this way comes...

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe sighs "Alright here's what I'll do, I'll return with one of the other caravan members soon to collect it. If you can point out which direction they left in that would help me be on my way." they offer a brief description of the rest of the party enough that it will likely trigger some memories (not every day you see a troll paladin passing through).

>>Assuming that they get that description the beholder will float a little ways down the road and attempt to use an Abyssal Gaze portal to Scry the location of the party, hoping it's easier now they're considerably closer to the group.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Silently, a mysterious form emerges from the mist

no thos totally were not bandits at all, but merely the shades of dead bandits dun dun dun

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe sighs "Alright here's what I'll do, I'll return with one of the other caravan members soon to collect it. If you can point out which direction they left in that would help me be on my way." they offer a brief description of the rest of the party enough that it will likely trigger some memories (not every day you see a troll paladin passing through).

>>Assuming that they get that description the beholder will float a little ways down the road and attempt to use an Abyssal Gaze portal to Scry the location of the party, hoping it's easier now they're considerably closer to the group.

All they know is that vaguely they went north towards the next few towns, that's kinda it? Really they're just normal guards and not super invested in the fates of all travellers and kinda can't be expected to know precisely where they are at the moment

however you do immediately pick up that you cannot scry anyone else because some powerful magic is obscuring them

naem
May 29, 2011

“BOLO bolt of the SEA KING!” Naem yells, firing one of the only magic things he has at the baddies

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"Well gently caress." Baker casts WEB on the large figure's legs to trip it.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe concentrates fully and will attempt to open a portal - if scrying won't work cause of powerful magic then they'll turn that to their advantage. How? Well if other parts of the surrounding area aren't similarly blocked then it just becomes a matter of spotting the blocked area and so they'll use pinpoint the location by Checking the Blindspot. The task should be made easier by their closer proximity but also by taking advantage of the very magic power that attempts to block them, and then open a portal to that location.

naem
May 29, 2011

“Ah, FIRE BOLT!!” Naem fires a fire boolt

“Shadows they donnae like fire right??”

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
hi I havent played since game 1 so im going to post real quick to say i plan to keep an eye on this thread and might want to play at some point ok thanks you guys have fun

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

“BOLO bolt of the SEA KING!” Naem yells, firing one of the only magic things he has at the baddies

:rolldice: 21 & they crit fail

You yell (and even though you can feel it, it makes no sound), shoot the bolt, and the big one tries to grab it out of the air, misses, and it whams directly into whatever misty form most resembles its face...

The whole mist zone evaporates. Along with the bolt, all the bandits, everything. You're in the standard ominous forest again.

Really easier than expected. Altho the bandits got their cut in the end, because you can't find the magic bolt.

Battle over
Loot is:
nothing, also you lost the drat enchanted bolt.

--

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe concentrates fully and will attempt to open a portal - if scrying won't work cause of powerful magic then they'll turn that to their advantage. How? Well if other parts of the surrounding area aren't similarly blocked then it just becomes a matter of spotting the blocked area and so they'll use pinpoint the location by Checking the Blindspot. The task should be made easier by their closer proximity but also by taking advantage of the very magic power that attempts to block them, and then open a portal to that location.

with the mist gone, everything works normally again and you just go there

--

redm posted:

hi I havent played since game 1 so im going to post real quick to say i plan to keep an eye on this thread and might want to play at some point ok thanks you guys have fun

godspeed lol :patriot:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>A grizzled, half starved Marlowe portals in along with a strangely realistic statue of an eviscerated beholder. On seeing the rest of the party they tilt on their own axis to 'nod' a greeting. "You lot are harder work to find than a dame what can tame a unicorn." they observe as they levitate the 'statue' over to the wagon for safe keeping.

>>"Miss me?" they add with a broad, disturbingly toothsome, grin.

naem
May 29, 2011

“Oy! Tha magic boolt what yeh made me, I shot a baddie what was made o’ shadows and ‘ee went all FWWOOMMSHHH!!”

Naem holds his hands out and indicates explosions while make fart sounds with his mouth

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:rolldice: 18

the rest of your route north gets lucky, and soon you're near uh, what was the name of that town... Cramstone. From there it's a few days till you get to the lake and get the curses lifted. Anything you wanna do?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will work on the creation of a specific magical item - using their enchantment tools, their two (2) books on enchantment, their translated work on beholders, one of the snake bits for it's relevance to death/soul magic and the silver piece they are carrying, they will attempt to craft an ancient and almost forgotten piece of beholder lore in the form of an artifact.

>>Shaping the magic energies they attempt to enchant the silver piece with powerful abilities to assist in casting of beholer soul magics, an ancient token of passage between life and death. An Eyebol.

>>Legends of these ancient enchanted coins no doubt passed into various younger races collective culture in time becoming part of their funerary rites, but beholders have long shaped flat pieces of silver with an image of an eye on each side - one gazing into the realms of the dead and the other the realms of the living - to help them manipulate powerful beholder soul magics.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 23, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

Naem will do an inventory of the cart and look for damage

“Finally oot o’ tha swamp! Is err’un alright?” Naem will check on his friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"Are we there yet?"