Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:rolldice: 7 and you crit your initiative roll
:rolldice: 43
"AAAAH poo poo OW drat gently caress"

This does tremendous damage like 4 and the other beholder is wracked with pain

"oaoawoah fuckin hell..." They squish to the ground, gasping. One more hit like this would surely kill em.

>>Marlowe has enough time to think and as a result, while they don't quite hesitate, they enact an alternate plan - perhaps they don't exactly need to kill this beholder and there might be another way...

>>It is often said that the eyes are the window to the soul so Marlowe will cast Spiritual Defenestratation and attempt to remove the vital animating force of the other beholder, if successful they plan to use their Enchantment and Eyemancy to bind it to their magnifying glass until they can find a new vessel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"I can't wait to get out of here. The humidity makes my hair so frizzy."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe has enough time to think and as a result, while they don't quite hesitate, they enact an alternate plan - perhaps they don't exactly need to kill this beholder and there might be another way...

>>It is often said that the eyes are the window to the soul so Marlowe will cast Spiritual Defenestratation and attempt to remove the vital animating force of the other beholder, if successful they plan to use their Enchantment and Eyemancy to bind it to their magnifying glass until they can find a new vessel for it.

you start the high level mage battle
:rolldice: -32
The other beholder tightly closes its eyes and begins to sink into the earth's surface as if it were water. "yeah right like i'm falling for that one whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop" :rolldice: you'll need to beat 87 to find it, drat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"I can't wait to get out of here. The humidity makes my hair so frizzy."

meanwhile everybody else just disregards marlowe and treks thru the swamp for a bunch of time until you reach the dragonfolk village. I was 83% certain i had this mapped out and some pics and stuff but apparently i don't remember where i actually put that stuff when i reorganized everything so for now

imaginate a swamp town, the sun heading towards late afternoon. The entire place is built of cypress planks and it's all boardwalks and riven wood housing. Market stalls are well stocked with fragrant herbs and raw meat. Few hearths are lit, only in the few stone structures. There's a gross tannery at the edge, where they use the swamp itself to make leather and preserved polished bone goods, somehow.

There are no formal guilds in this town beyond stuff like tanners or bakers or scriveners or whatever -- there's a notable lack of adventuring style guilds.

The caravanners breath a sigh of relief and are pleased to have only lost 1 guard along the way. "Well that fattens everyone else's cut!"
They want 3 days to sell off the goods and then they're going to calculate your tremendous payout.

Everybody level up except tog and marlowe
the curse is getting heavy. These three days shouldn't be fatal, but you need to head north from here quickly.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe frowns, calculating and analyizing the speed and direction of the retreating beholder, and will cast Seeing is Retrieiving attempting to use their Eyemancy and Abyssal Gaze skills to launch a portal and telekinetically force the beholder through it in order to slam them into a tree nearby. They'll also use their powers of Concentration and Detective skills as well as the True Seeing by their Shades of the Tyrant to attempt to help target the creature.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 19, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

“can a man, post a crossboo, so big, he cannae thwap n’more?”

“nay but a dwarf, he do”

Naem nods sagely to h’mself

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe frowns, calculating and analyizing the speed and direction of the retreating beholder, and will cast Seeing is Retrieiving attempting to use their Eyemancy and Abyssal Gaze skills to launch a portal and telekinetically force the beholder through it in order to slam them into a tree nearby. They'll also use their powers of Concentration and Detective skills as well as the True Seeing by their Shades of the Tyrant to attempt to help target the creature.

It's sunken beneath the surface of the soil, as if it were diving through water almost. Weird. It's no illusion. :rolldice: -7
gently caress! the rear end in a top hat is down there somewhere, but you'd be damned to know exactly where. In order to concentrate your way into deducing where they mighta gone you're going to have to take some time... maybe leaving you vulnerable...

naem posted:

“can a man, post a crossboo, so big, he cannae thwap n’more?”

“nay but a dwarf, he do”

Naem nods sagely to h’mself

Naem's jolted out of his dwarven philosophical reverie by Bangrim. "Well, lad, 's almost done. You all done good this journey. If there's anything you need lemme know and I'll see what'c'n be done. We'll have a fat sack of loot for ya soon."
Basically if you got nothing in particular anyone wants to do in town we'll run the numbers and get you tf outta here and headed towards the lake. Last call.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe casts Abyssal Scrying - combining their Eyemancy and Abyssal Gaze and once more uses their Detective skills to help them attempt to locate the other beholder by creating a scrying portal using the mirrored black surface of the Abyss itself.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You don't even gotta take a whole additional turn my dude you can just add in concentration -- with the cost that it may leave u open because of how focused you are. If you roll 2d20 & end up with a 6 your rear end is hanging in the wind, but higher than that you at least find the guy

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

You don't even gotta take a whole additional turn my dude you can just add in concentration -- with the cost that it may leave u open because of how focused you are. If you roll 2d20 & end up with a 6 your rear end is hanging in the wind, but higher than that you at least find the guy

Yeah go for it, no guts no glory <is brutally disemboweled within seconds>

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:rolldice: 21
nah this fresh faced noob is just trying to run away as a straight shot, 2 ez

he plonks out of the portal directly in front of you "Hey, look pal, uh i uh lets just let bygones be bygones eh?"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

:rolldice: 21
nah this fresh faced noob is just trying to run away as a straight shot, 2 ez

he plonks out of the portal directly in front of you "Hey, look pal, uh i uh lets just let bygones be bygones eh?"

>>Marlowe grins evilly "Sure thing 'pal'." they say even as they let loose a stream of dark energies from one of their eyes in the form of a Death Ray. "Bye."

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

"Uh Tog just wanna git goin' soon as possible. Tog is feelin real bad and he not sure how much longer he got."

naem
May 29, 2011

“Aye Togg does more damage than the rest of us combined! We cannae risk losing ‘em!!”

e: while we are in town and paid, Naem will top up his materials to have ‘splosion bolts, poison bolts and the like for our journey lake-ward

naem fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe grins evilly "Sure thing 'pal'." they say even as they let loose a stream of dark energies from one of their eyes in the form of a Death Ray. "Bye."

:rolldice: 26
you beam the beam, doing 2 more damage and leaving the slob totally completely hosed up with heart attacks and on death's door. If the roll had been literally even 1 more higher it would have been immediate complete deathification.

"ARGH you son of a bitch bastard!" The other beholder rolls listlessly on the ground, trying to get away but not doing poo poo. Falling leaves land on it -- it's extremely tragic and cinematic. "Born just to die... how cruel... and extremely bullshit..." It starts hacking and sorta squirms its eyestalks before flopping over. A leaf falls directly on its open central eye. Rest in piss.

You find yourself floating in a clearly Magical Forest. It's pretty warm. Leaves and flower petals are constantly falling all around you and there's enormously huge flowers and poo poo like that.

naem posted:

“Aye Togg does more damage than the rest of us combined! We cannae risk losing ‘em!!”

e: while we are in town and paid, Naem will top up his materials to have ‘splosion bolts, poison bolts and the like for our journey lake-ward

Hipster Occultist posted:

"Uh Tog just wanna git goin' soon as possible. Tog is feelin real bad and he not sure how much longer he got."

The rest of you guys get prepped and ready to bail tf out. According to calculations it should be 3 weeks of travel from here to the lake, so you guys make sure to grab up the needed supplies. I had a thing keeping track of the profits but i can't remember where I put it so for now we'll say the caravanners present you with a big sack of money that has $$$ drawn on it, and it's the correct amount and i'll go back and break down exactly what it is when we gotta. The caravanners don't rip you off and you guys leave on good terms.

Loot:
1 Moneybag.

You guys will need to cross the swamp for 1 more week, where the land becomes more like a wet forest for 1 week, then 1 last week of forest travel and you'll be at the lake.
rolling luck:

20, you crit. You guys travel north for a week in the bog totally fine with zero problems. In fact you stumble across a hidden deposit of Bog Iron & mark it on the map. This crap's worth cash and if you get time you can mine it or maybe even sell the location.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Gone." Marlowe finishes their quip as the other beholder expires. "It's a cruel world alright, better luck next time." They light up a cigar, several of their eyes keeping watch as they harvest the necessary ingredients and make use of them to finally make their Eyemancy magic permanent. They'll proceed to do so immediately.

>>After that they'll make a quick check of their surrounds, using their knowledge of Enchantment and using Eyemancy to boost their senses they'll grab any immediately obvious magic ingredients.

>>Finally they'll link up to their golem, using that to know where to target their Abyssal Gaze portal in order to rejoin with the party and bring the rest of the beholder corpse and anything they've found with them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"eat poo poo... from hell's rear end in a top hat... blarg i'm dead for real now..." it expires.

you avoid any notice except by the creatures of the forest & are able to gruesomely butcher your own progeny for magical components without interference. It will coincidentally take exactly 1 week to convert these beholder chunks into the ritual material needed to do the deed... if you eat the rest of the body while you prepare. Any delay will totally gently caress up the magic and blow the deal, but you'll be able to do the deed and then rejoin the rest of the party pretty easy enough.

Another option would be to somehow preserve the whole carcass and find another source of food at the same time, then get back to the others.

Not impossible... but are you going to risk botching it?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

"eat poo poo... from hell's rear end in a top hat... blarg i'm dead for real now..." it expires.

you avoid any notice except by the creatures of the forest & are able to gruesomely butcher your own progeny for magical components without interference. It will coincidentally take exactly 1 week to convert these beholder chunks into the ritual material needed to do the deed... if you eat the rest of the body while you prepare. Any delay will totally gently caress up the magic and blow the deal, but you'll be able to do the deed and then rejoin the rest of the party pretty easy enough.

Another option would be to somehow preserve the whole carcass and find another source of food at the same time, then get back to the others.

Not impossible... but are you going to risk botching it?

>>If it won't increase the risk Marlowe will order the stone golem will write a brief missing saying that the detective isn't dead and will rejoin the group when they are able. The golems will continue to protect the wagon and remain with it.

>>They'll use very low power casts of Chilling Vision to very simply keep the rest of their progeny's remains preserved, eating as little as possible and relying on their considerable fat reserves. They'd definitely need a big meal in the not too distant future but they can put that off until they're finished rather than eat any more of the corpse than they absolutely have to.

>>In any case their main priority is completing this quest so they won't do anything to endanger that. Following that they'll take whatever is left of the body and Abyssal Gaze their way back to the wagon.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog makes a special note of the Bog Iron deposit on his map, after all Bog Iron is the most Troll-like of all the metals.

Because they both live in Bogs, you see.

Anyways, Tog kinda starts to wonder what the gently caress Marlowe has been doing for like the past two weeks or however log its been, as the party prepares for the Wet Forest leg of their journey.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everybody level up except tog and marlowe
the curse is getting heavy. These three days shouldn't be fatal, but you need to head north from here quickly.

Baker is gonna take another level of Fae Charm. Woo.

naem
May 29, 2011

Naem will take a point in Slightly More Accurate When Using Double Shot

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

Baker is gonna take another level of Fae Charm. Woo.

sounds good

naem posted:

Naem will take a point in Slightly More Accurate When Using Double Shot

sounds also good

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>If it won't increase the risk Marlowe will order the stone golem will write a brief missing saying that the detective isn't dead and will rejoin the group when they are able. The golems will continue to protect the wagon and remain with it.

>>They'll use very low power casts of Chilling Vision to very simply keep the rest of their progeny's remains preserved, eating as little as possible and relying on their considerable fat reserves. They'd definitely need a big meal in the not too distant future but they can put that off until they're finished rather than eat any more of the corpse than they absolutely have to.

>>In any case their main priority is completing this quest so they won't do anything to endanger that. Following that they'll take whatever is left of the body and Abyssal Gaze their way back to the wagon.

Using your incredible intellect and what you learned from having a dream and puking out another life form and from eyeballing that one book that one time you figure you can get the grotesque and hideous ritual to empower your eye magic done in about a week of evil-looking profane rituals. It's gonna take some time and prep.

Tog makes a special note of the Bog Iron deposit on his map, after all Bog Iron is the most Troll-like of all the metals.

Because they both live in Bogs, you see.

Anyways, Tog kinda starts to wonder what the gently caress Marlowe has been doing for like the past two weeks or however log its been, as the party prepares for the Wet Forest leg of their journey.

The golem uses its eye beams to shoot random burn marks on nearby objects. These slightly resemble letters and signs, but not really. Probably Marlowe did this?

Bog iron is extremely powerful, the second most powerful form of iron besides sky iron. Def mark it down. But as you reach the borderlands, there are ominous signs. Strips of cloth tied on tree branches. Footprints, of huge beasts. On beginning of the fourth day it is particularly misty, and a troop of Bandits appear.

One steps into the lovely trail you were following as a road. "Alright. Hand over the loot and we'll let you go, no problems. Nobody comes this way without some kinda cash." You can see there are maybe 4 or 5 of em total.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Skump takes a level in Last Lullabobie

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will continue to keep the beholder's corpse preserved and do the necessary rituals to empower themself.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Applewhite posted:

Skump takes a level in Last Lullabobie

do it

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe will continue to keep the beholder's corpse preserved and do the necessary rituals to empower themself.

yeah honestly i'm sorta burnt out brainwise and can't come up with a good way to describe the villainy and horror of the horrible and vile ritual but it's p bad. you're able to complete it and are invested with the incredible powers of a full on growed up beholder. This finishes right after the rest of the party happens to deal with the bandits

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

do it

yeah honestly i'm sorta burnt out brainwise and can't come up with a good way to describe the villainy and horror of the horrible and vile ritual but it's p bad. you're able to complete it and are invested with the incredible powers of a full on growed up beholder. This finishes right after the rest of the party happens to deal with the bandits

>>Marlowe finally completes the horrific arcane rite - laughing maniacally at the the new power flooding through them (and partly because between lack of sleep and a near starvation diet they're at least somewhat crazed right now).

>>After it's complete they light up one of their foul smelling cigars, looking around the world with a renewed sense of vision. Immediately though their eyes fall upon the beholder corpse and unfamiliar thoughts race through their minds, not fully formed but the beginnings of an idea. Acting on this strange notion they will test out their newly permanent powers by using their Eyemancy to turn the corpse to stone, more fully preserving it until they can figure out the next move.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Skump leaps on one of the bandits and encloses his head in her tits.

naem
May 29, 2011

“SPLOSION BOOLT!!”

Name fires into the group off the road

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"Hands off the merchandise. The only one here with sticky fingers is me!" Shot Web!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog charges the bandits, club held high and ready to smash!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe finally completes the horrific arcane rite - laughing maniacally at the the new power flooding through them (and partly because between lack of sleep and a near starvation diet they're at least somewhat crazed right now).

>>After it's complete they light up one of their foul smelling cigars, looking around the world with a renewed sense of vision. Immediately though their eyes fall upon the beholder corpse and unfamiliar thoughts race through their minds, not fully formed but the beginnings of an idea. Acting on this strange notion they will test out their newly permanent powers by using their Eyemancy to turn the corpse to stone, more fully preserving it until they can figure out the next move.

the flesh chunks are contorted into sick nasty looking stone statue pieces.

Applewhite posted:

Skump leaps on one of the bandits and encloses his head in her tits.

:rolldice: -5 he dodge rolls out of the way like it's elden ring or w/e

naem posted:

“SPLOSION BOOLT!!”

Name fires into the group off the road

:rolldice: PHOOM
8 damage is equally spread out among the them
"argh poo poo ow drat gently caress"

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"Hands off the merchandise. The only one here with sticky fingers is me!" Shot Web!

:rolldice: -52, you crit, he crits, and he rolled 3 twenties, an 18, 17, & 14
The bandits laugh evily, the mist grows much thicker and more disorienting. They step back into the haze, with a clink of cobbled together armor pieces. Soon it's entirely silent. You shot the guy with web tho. You know it hit him.

Tog charges the bandits, club held high and ready to smash!

Striding forward boldly, no creepy weather can dissuade you. But there are no bandits. The mist retreats from wherever Tog is, but rapidly swirls closed behind him. Go too far and you might lose your way.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>With the corpse now a more safely transportable statue, Marlowe decides it's time to be getting back to the group - they could use a rest and a big meal (or several!). They'll locate the rest of the party by their link to their golems and attempt to open up an Abyssal Gaze portal to rejoin the group.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>Baker pops a Web Shield to protect from incoming fire while she waits to see what happens next.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog will not abide these dishonourable tactics, and he holds his shining club high and tries to cast back the mists!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Skump starts shrieking and racing around swinging her daggers all crazy.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>With the corpse now a more safely transportable statue, Marlowe decides it's time to be getting back to the group - they could use a rest and a big meal (or several!). They'll locate the rest of the party by their link to their golems and attempt to open up an Abyssal Gaze portal to rejoin the group.

:rolldice: You find your connection to the golems... clouded. Not a good sign.

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>Baker pops a Web Shield to protect from incoming fire while she waits to see what happens next.

:rolldice: 67. Seems pretty tough. Could be tougher, but p tough.

Tog will not abide these dishonourable tactics, and he holds his shining club high and tries to cast back the mists!

rolling dispel mist... -80
the mist ripples and then goes back to where it was. Can the Troll King not see you here!?

Applewhite posted:

Skump starts shrieking and racing around swinging her daggers all crazy.

rolling flipout... -55
nothing happens, and when you yell no sound comes out

The bandits don't reappear. The only thing around is the deepening mist...

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will respond with a Penetrating Gaze, using their Eyemancy & Concentration to assist their Abyssal Gaze in peering through the mystic fog and opening a portal.

naem
May 29, 2011

Naem will squint and use Dwarf-O-Vison©️™️

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>Baker sends out strands of magical web energy into the mists. Detect Prey.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog forgot to post, sorry!

Seeing that his paladin magic is less effective here, Tog instead looks inward to his own mastery of smells, and attempts to flush out the bandit mage making all this mess with a really rank fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tog forgot to post, sorry!

Seeing that his paladin magic is less effective here, Tog instead looks inward to his own mastery of smells, and attempts to flush out the bandit mage making all this mess with a really rank fart.

:rolldice: -82, but you crit
a silent, but deadly stench emanates through the woods... the mist is permanently weakened by this, you can tell

Facebook Aunt posted:

>Baker sends out strands of magical web energy into the mists. Detect Prey.

:rolldice: -21
nothing. except for the party there seem to be no nearby creatures at all...

naem posted:

Naem will squint and use Dwarf-O-Vison©️™️

:rolldice: -72
you can't see poo poo, this fuckin sucks

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe will respond with a Penetrating Gaze, using their Eyemancy & Concentration to assist their Abyssal Gaze in peering through the mystic fog and opening a portal.

:rolldice: -27
you redouble your efforts and they come to nothing. You can't tell where to put the portal. Gotta find a better way or do something else.