Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Once more Ighty tries to solve a problem with jelly doughnuts. He offers another to the lizard but he makes it very clear that if this lizard isn't gonna gently reach out and take the doughnut, Ighty is just gonna eat it himself because he hates to see these things wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin doesn't take kindly to being called a lizard but takes the donut nonetheless before settling in with her book in the wagon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>> Baker whips up a batch of Apple Pie French Toast Rolls for breakfast.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

>> Baker whips up a batch of Apple Pie French Toast Rolls for breakfast.

>>The detective returns for these, scoffs some and then goes to take a nap having been scouting, watching, and smoking frustratedly all night. They thank Tammy but otherwise remain sullenly silent, seemingly all grumbled out for now but still not in a mood to be overly helpful. If the bandits are to be found then it seems like the beholder won't be the one doing it for now at least.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin, never one for much skulduggery, has an idea. You could practically hear the brain gears churning, already overworked. Tricks and traps ain't working so what about the direct approach?

>> Tipping over the kobold cage and resting a foot on it, she issues a challenge!
"oy! ya bleedin' schm-suckin' layabouts skulking in th' fuckin' dunes! if'n ya want ya kobold buddy back, well i wanna... uhhh
poo poo now whats the word... uhhh peace talk thing
"i wanna talk! one a yers an' one a me! show up and the kobold lives, yeah?"

naem
May 29, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It makes you look very "wasteland bandit."

You guys do this and nothing appears during the night. The kobold does wake up though, and he ain't happy about this situation, uselessly gnawing at the bars of the cage. "Gn n raanlnngnlanaganlarrra na ann ggrggnaangg rggag!"

Naem will use GRUMBLING to guess what he’s saying “What’s that lad? Little Timmy fell down a well??”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It makes you look very "wasteland bandit."

You guys do this and nothing appears during the night. The kobold does wake up though, and he ain't happy about this situation, uselessly gnawing at the bars of the cage. "Gn n raanlnngnlanaganlarrra na ann ggrggnaangg rggag!"

(Just to be clear, is this now a naked kobold? Was he wearing clothes under his armor? A loincloth? Anything? )

(GBS followup question: if he is naked, is his dong swinging free or do Kobolds have some sort of retractable situation going on?)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Naem will use GRUMBLING to guess what he’s saying “What’s that lad? Little Timmy fell down a well??”

:rolldice: ... 39
He's pretty pissed off about this and mostly wants to get out. Also he's taking that crack as an insult and it's making him more raged. Also you guys probably permanently maimed him and he knew you were up to no good and for sure not a weak target overflowing with gems but he didn't think you were psychos.

He seems to think you guys are another kind of bandits that prey on other bandits?

Facebook Aunt posted:

(Just to be clear, is this now a naked kobold? Was he wearing clothes under his armor? A loincloth? Anything? )

(GBS followup question: if he is naked, is his dong swinging free or do Kobolds have some sort of retractable situation going on?)

yeah he was wearing cheap travelling clothes and had an extra set in his pack.

i'm going to call it the junk of kobolds are mysterious to the uninitiated but technically they're like proto-mammals or have both mammal and reptile style traits. According to advanced research they're def synapsids of some kind.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog sighs and casts his gaze skyward as if to ask, "oh lord, why do you saddle me with these yahoos?"

He doesn't actually say that though, and instead walks over to the kobold, holding his hands up to show that he doesn't have any weapons at the ready.

"Tog know dat it prolly not mean much, but he sorry dat all dis happen da way it did. Tog woulda prefered dat we just talk instead of hurt you kobold, but we past dat now. Let Tog tell you why dey all here."

Tog swallows three of the apple rolls in a single bite and tosses a fourth to the kobold.

"Tog pretty sure dat you know big Troll bandit lady, Tog wanna talk to her. If you tell Tog where to find her, no foolin', den Tog let you go after dis all done. And even better, Tog do his best to heal you and give you some money for da road. But you still gotta promise not be bandit no more, cause Troll King not like stealin' from simple travellers."

"We got a deal?"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>The poor detective unsteadily wobbles into half wakefulness, a very loud dragon making it difficult at best to attempt sleep. The beholder's eyes are blood shot from a restless night and irritation from sand, albeit with a dark gray blood rather than red. Giving up on any kind of respite, the creature floats on over to where the dwarf is attempting to communicate with their captive, commenting "Maybe tell him that all we want to do is talk to his boss? That and point out he's still alive and hell he would even still have his leg if he hadn't bitten my drat eye off." as a suggestion to Naem.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog sighs and casts his gaze skyward as if to ask, "oh lord, why do you saddle me with these yahoos?"

He doesn't actually say that though, and instead walks over to the kobold, holding his hands up to show that he doesn't have any weapons at the ready.

"Tog know dat it prolly not mean much, but he sorry dat all dis happen da way it did. Tog woulda prefered dat we just talk instead of hurt you kobold, but we past dat now. Let Tog tell you why dey all here."

Tog swallows three of the apple rolls in a single bite and tosses a fourth to the kobold.

"Tog pretty sure dat you know big Troll bandit lady, Tog wanna talk to her. If you tell Tog where to find her, no foolin', den Tog let you go after dis all done. And even better, Tog do his best to heal you and give you some money for da road. But you still gotta promise not be bandit no more, cause Troll King not like stealin' from simple travellers."

"We got a deal?"

He opens his mouth, shuts it, and considers for a moment.
He looks like he's about to ask a question, but then responds "No."

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>The poor detective unsteadily wobbles into half wakefulness, a very loud dragon making it difficult at best to attempt sleep. The beholder's eyes are blood shot from a restless night and irritation from sand, albeit with a dark gray blood rather than red. Giving up on any kind of respite, the creature floats on over to where the dwarf is attempting to communicate with their captive, commenting "Maybe tell him that all we want to do is talk to his boss? That and point out he's still alive and hell he would even still have his leg if he hadn't bitten my drat eye off." as a suggestion to Naem.

"I get the picture, rranar."
After a while of sitting quietly he asks where his stuff is.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin, never one for much skulduggery, has an idea. You could practically hear the brain gears churning, already overworked. Tricks and traps ain't working so what about the direct approach?

>> Tipping over the kobold cage and resting a foot on it, she issues a challenge!
"oy! ya bleedin' schm-suckin' layabouts skulking in th' fuckin' dunes! if'n ya want ya kobold buddy back, well i wanna... uhhh
poo poo now whats the word... uhhh peace talk thing
"i wanna talk! one a yers an' one a me! show up and the kobold lives, yeah?"

also he sort of cautiously cowers and snarls under his breath. He can't really maintain his balance when you shove the cage around.
"Gnlggnllarlrana, who are you talking to? There's no one else!"

reignofevil posted:

>>Once more Ighty tries to solve a problem with jelly doughnuts. He offers another to the lizard but he makes it very clear that if this lizard isn't gonna gently reach out and take the doughnut, Ighty is just gonna eat it himself because he hates to see these things wasted.

He takes it without snapping or saying anything, but he doesn't even eat it he kind of just looks forlorn while holding it.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

"I get the picture, rranar."
After a while of sitting quietly he asks where his stuff is.

>>The beholder gives their tilting aerial version of a nod, indicating where the kobold's gear has been stashed "All there... 'cept the bow but you can have the lot back when we let you go. We're not here to glaum from ya." they pause and add "Look... don't be a bunny here, it'd have been easier for me to fill ya full of daylight and tear out the secrets from behind your dead eyes... we're trying even if we're a little rough around the edges, just help us talk to your leader and whatever she decides ya free. If she is willing to stop being a bandit, might even have some work for youse. As the troll said if we can get ya leg fixed we'll even do that."

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 22, 2021

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'What if we just write a note with whatever we want to say to this guys leader, pin it to his collar and then we just drive the wagon a few miles down the road and leave our captive kobold here? He doesn't have to actually want anything to do with us because he'd be damned remiss if he didn't deliver that letter, it might be the information his boss needs to figure out what we're up to and kill us for it.'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>> Baker settles down near the cage, "I guess I might as well take a crack at it. The thing is we were sent to talk to some bandit lady, that's the job. Now look at us, and imagine what kind of people go take a job to talk to bandits.

This is, apparently, the best job we could get. We have nowhere else to be. Nothing better to do. So we're going to wander around out here until either we talk to the bandit leader, or we run out of food and have to go back to Xoma. And you're stuck with us.

Do you think we're likely to track down your group? Or are you going to ride around in that bloody cage for weeks until we give up and haul you back to Xoma. Where we hand you over to the local authorities and hope there is some bounty for bringing you in.

It would go easier on you if you'd just give us directions. Tog goes and talks to the bandits. We give you back your stuff and let you go. Somebody whittles you a peg leg and you live happily ever after. Everybody wins.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>The beholder gives their tilting aerial version of a nod, indicating where the kobold's gear has been stashed "All there... 'cept the bow but you can have the lot back when we let you go. We're not here to glaum from ya." they pause and add "Look... don't be a bunny here, it'd have been easier for me to fill ya full of daylight and tear out the secrets from behind your dead eyes... we're trying even if we're a little rough around the edges, just help us talk to your leader and whatever she decides ya free. If she is willing to stop being a bandit, might even have some work for youse. As the troll said if we can get ya leg fixed we'll even do that."

:airquote: "Might have some 'work.' Gnalanl long term even. At least let me have my hood, if you won't let me have anything else."

reignofevil posted:

>>'What if we just write a note with whatever we want to say to this guys leader, pin it to his collar and then we just drive the wagon a few miles down the road and leave our captive kobold here? He doesn't have to actually want anything to do with us because he'd be damned remiss if he didn't deliver that letter, it might be the information his boss needs to figure out what we're up to and kill us for it.'

He gestures at his leg. "Because I'll die before then?"

The sun's starting to come up and he's looking increasingly uncomfortable without his cloak and hood.

Facebook Aunt posted:

>> Baker settles down near the cage, "I guess I might as well take a crack at it. The thing is we were sent to talk to some bandit lady, that's the job. Now look at us, and imagine what kind of people go take a job to talk to bandits.

This is, apparently, the best job we could get. We have nowhere else to be. Nothing better to do. So we're going to wander around out here until either we talk to the bandit leader, or we run out of food and have to go back to Xoma. And you're stuck with us.

Do you think we're likely to track down your group? Or are you going to ride around in that bloody cage for weeks until we give up and haul you back to Xoma. Where we hand you over to the local authorities and hope there is some bounty for bringing you in.

It would go easier on you if you'd just give us directions. Tog goes and talks to the bandits. We give you back your stuff and let you go. Somebody whittles you a peg leg and you live happily ever after. Everybody wins.

He finally cracks.
"Just let me go in first. There's... one piece of merchandise I need. Then let me go. What happens after that... it is what it is."
He goes out of his way to avoid looking at you.
"Gnrlng arnagrgngrgrlra."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe levitates the kobold's cloak and hood over at least to keep them out of the sun, and some water in a cup. They look over to Naem to provide the translation on that last bit but at least the bandit seems more cooperative - even if it is probably going to be a trap going in this way.

naem
May 29, 2011

Stoner Sloth posted:

“Yes! Good thought lad! Ok errgh aaghck, hmm,” turning to the kobold:

“PPPAAAGGHK SPEEGGN FFLÜÙMM GRINDLE DRUTHERS? PAAH RÛMM PAH PŪM PUMM!”

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Ighty reminds himself that you catch more moon bees with astral honey than you'd catch if you were to go to each moon bee and offer them a proffering of comet vinegar. Or something.

>>'You don't have to die of an untreated leg wound here in the desert. Young people are always so drat eager to talk about hot suns this and miserable leg wounds that. Hellfires if you'd just be a respectable damned citizen and turn snitch on your partners we'd be pleased as all get out to stitch ya up and feed ya proper. The town that sent us doesn't want this bandit lady dead and it's a rare sight to get offered amnesty like that and chance by getting your leg mangled by people nice enough not to just slit your throat for your troubles.'

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin, bored with no one answering her challenge, has taken to laying atop the wagon and catching the warm rays of the morning sun while the rest of the crew mess with the gross kobold.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:airquote: "Might have some 'work.' Gnalanl long term even. At least let me have my hood, if you won't let me have anything else."

He gestures at his leg. "Because I'll die before then?"

The sun's starting to come up and he's looking increasingly uncomfortable without his cloak and hood.

He finally cracks.
"Just let me go in first. There's... one piece of merchandise I need. Then let me go. What happens after that... it is what it is."
He goes out of his way to avoid looking at you.
"Gnrlng arnagrgngrgrlra."

"What do you need?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe levitates the kobold's cloak and hood over at least to keep them out of the sun, and some water in a cup. They look over to Naem to provide the translation on that last bit but at least the bandit seems more cooperative - even if it is probably going to be a trap going in this way.

He puts it on and kinda just rolls over.

naem posted:

“Yes! Good thought lad! Ok errgh aaghck, hmm,” turning to the kobold:

“PPPAAAGGHK SPEEGGN FFLÜÙMM GRINDLE DRUTHERS? PAAH RÛMM PAH PŪM PUMM!”

:rolldice: ... 37, and you crit fail.
1: he thinks you guys are slavers come to scoop up outlaws and sell them abroad
2: he thinks you're an absolute prick and making fun of him even though he's pretty much powerless

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin, bored with no one answering her challenge, has taken to laying atop the wagon and catching the warm rays of the morning sun while the rest of the crew mess with the gross kobold.

done, and done.

Facebook Aunt posted:

"What do you need?"

He's very obviously devoting all his attention to incredibly slowly and carefully eating the donut instead of talking. Probably by "merchandise" he could have meant someone instead of something, if that's what you're asking. But he says he'll lead you to the bandit camp with the understanding you'll let him loose to retrieve something and escape before you guys make a move.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Eww what a weirdo, thinking we're slavers. What kind of person assumes random folks they meet in the desert are slavers? I suppose the big cage does look bad.

Anyway, it's probably not worth convincing him he's wrong. Slavers hunting the area are just the sort of thing to make a fella think twice about a life of banditry."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Doesn't matter what he thinks we are." the beholder replies before looking over to the kobold and saying "Look... whatever your name is... you can take what you want from there, provided they don't stop you, when we get there. Fine. We don't care. Just tell us where we're headed and let's get on our way."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin cracks an eyelid and lifts her head from her sunbathing position of laying on her chest, "oh poo poo, we gettin' ready to bleedin' do a thing, fuckin' took a minute yeah?"
She rebuckles her breastplate before sitting up, stuffing her yawning maw with sugary snacks made by her bestie, and repositions to a cross-legged sit to look around. Bunch a sand and desert an' not much else, boooring.

>> Roz leaps outta the wagon, grabs the nearest big rock she can find and headbutts it, attempting to wake herself up and casually show how strong and great she is!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog is pretty sure its a trap, but he doesn't say anything as its pretty clear that this is their only way forward regardless.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>As far as Ighty is concerned a promise made over a jelly doughnut is inviolable. He's ready to follow this kobold to his camp.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The kobold begins to lead you along a pretty circuitous route through the desert. After a few hours it doesn't seem like you're closer to anything, but he has you stop and he asks for the rest of his stuff back, excluding the weapons and armor and thieves tools. "For navigation."

He's clearly uncomfortable as hell in the sun and hating it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Luckily Ighty can offer respite from hating the sun by talking at length to this kobold about how much old people have to worry about skin cancer! And wrinkles! There's a reason Ighty wraps up tighter than a flit's nittings during the day!

>>Ighty rolls ELDERLY.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Roz, bored out of her thick skull, lays on her chest dangling out the wagon as it travels sloooowly through the desert. She lets her claws touch the desert ground, leaving twin trails as they scythe through the sand while the wagon travels in circles.

>> "ain't nothin' to fight, ain't nothin' to look at, ain't nothin' to fuckin' do in this bloody goddess-forsaken hellhole!!
grrragh!! you there, kobold - are we fuckin' there yet? why the bleedin' hell y'all bandit way out here, this location is so godsdamned terrible!!"
Rozalin spends the next couple a minutes swearing and complaining, possibly giving a boost to Ighty's Elderly roll!?

naem
May 29, 2011

“GRUŪNDEL SCRUNTCHINS!” Naem Dwarfs grundelly

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:rolldice:... 44
"Fine! FINE!"

He continues to lead the way, turning here and there, until lunch time. You don't appear to be nearer to anything and haven't passed anything notable. He says it'll be at least until dusk at this rate.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe tiredly hovers along on the journey, increasingly sick of wandering the desert. They take the opportunity to examine the rest of the kobold's gear, attempting to see if any of it is enchanted using Eye Magic but otherwise just try to remain alert for if/when the kobold lures us into an ambush.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'Dusk is when the Moon comes out!' says Ighty helpfully.

>>Ighty consults his LUNAR ALMANAC to see what phase the moon is in tonight.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe tiredly hovers along on the journey, increasingly sick of wandering the desert. They take the opportunity to examine the rest of the kobold's gear, attempting to see if any of it is enchanted using Eye Magic but otherwise just try to remain alert for if/when the kobold lures us into an ambush.

:rolldice: ... 46 & you crit
he doesn't have anything especially magic or antimagic. His amulet thing and the dish with the incense have probably been used in magic, but aren't magic themselves.

reignofevil posted:

>>'Dusk is when the Moon comes out!' says Ighty helpfully.

>>Ighty consults his LUNAR ALMANAC to see what phase the moon is in tonight.

:rolldice: ... 12
bad omens. It's gonna be a bad moon rising tonight.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Ighty turns a dreadful pale shade.

>>"Don't go out tonight! Or it's bound to take our lives! There is a bad moon on the rise!'

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

:rolldice: ... 46 & you crit
he doesn't have anything especially magic or antimagic. His amulet thing and the dish with the incense have probably been used in magic, but aren't magic themselves.

>>Marlowe squints a little as they try to determine whatever they can about the nature of the magic that the amulet and incense dish were used in as best they can.

reignofevil posted:

>>"Don't go out tonight! Or it's bound to take our lives! There is a bad moon on the rise!'

>>Could this be the night when the dreaded wereear of beholder legend prowls the desert? :ohdear:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

reignofevil posted:

The kobold is unsuprised. "Shoulda just let me have my stuff."

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe squints a little as they try to determine whatever they can about the nature of the magic that the amulet and incense dish were used in as best they can.

>>Could this be the night when the dreaded wereear of beholder legend prowls the desert? :ohdear:

probably divination or evocation

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

reignofevil posted:

>> Roz straightens up quickly from grabbing something that caught her eye in the sand and turns to face the old man with a slightly more pissed off face than usual. Her tail wraps around her leg as she giddily braces herself, eager for an excuse.
"oy gramps, keep ya fuckin' spyglass in the godsdamn sky 'fore i break it off inside ya, yea? lettin' ya off with a warnin' but next time's gonna bleedin' cost ya."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol. are you guys gonna give the dude his crap back or make him find the way totally unaided?