Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Alpharad with a short video of sage advice and a twist(or should I say spiral?) ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iuuNRMqHA&hd=1

Go outside, in this economy epidemy? I'm afraid we have no choice but to cancel Alpharad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The rare occasion I open a Youtube video on my phone where I haven't bothered to get adblocking it always plays 1-2 ads so yeah I'm also really surprised that there are Youtube channels that don't play ads

Except like personal channels with 2 - 20 view videos or whatever

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't have time to watch a 2.5 hour video for at least another 8 hours or so but I'm scared it will be taken down again and have to get cut to pieces before being reuploaded, like so many other videos struggling with strikes recently

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I love to see how she's evolved as a creator. She doesn't seem to emulate any person in particular, but is just doing her own thing. I especially like her small, straight face "might miss it" jokes like calling The Lighthouse slice of life.

I don't like how she's evolved into someone making billion hour long videos personally, I would watch her video on Twilight if it was 30 mins cause I generally like her content but I don't have enough time or interest in Twilight in TYOOL 2021 to watch 90 minutes.¨

E: Also skipped her Johnlocke vid for similar reason, although that one was also because I'd already seen like two vids by other content creators about the same stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Awakening is a good game, pretty well-liked by the FE fanbase, and a lot of people got introduced to the series over it. Sorry if that rankles your Correct Fire Emblem Opinions.

I never played Awakening so I have no real opinions on it but from what I remember it was at best controversial in the FE fanbase back when it was relevant (I kinda fell out of FE a bit after Fates so I dunno how it is remembered these days). Between being the first proper new FE with casual mode making the grogs mad, and the backlash against the Pair Up mechanic and all that.

It did certainly start the FE resurgence though, albeit some of that can probably just be attributed to the fact that it didn't fumble some part of another of its release. I'm still kind of awed that they got to release exactly one game for the Wii and it ended up being a sequel to a not very popular game on a low-selling console so they completely squandered any opportunity to rejuvenate the playerbase.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRz4vq7WKs

Someone linked Armchair Auteur in this thread a while ago and I like his stuff. He doesn,t get anough views imho.

He makes good videos for sure, I don't end up watching many sadly since the bulk of his output is movie reviews and I don't really watch movies at all.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The only Jojo parts I've actually finished are 2, 3 and 4, and 3 is bad and I should have just dropped it.

The training arc stuff in 2 up until about when mr Nazi reappears is really good but 4 is definitely the best part.

I got I think about 25% into 7 and lost interest. It had a lot going for it honestly - main character, art, better connection between chapters than most other parts. But every chapter just felt like it was going through the motions and giving me deja vu from part 3. And at least part 3 promised Dio at the end, at the point I gave up I had no excitement or interest about the end of the journey in 7.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s funny considering most Jojo fans consider 7 the best one

Yeah that's why I decided to read it. I imagine it's like 4 where the really good stuff starts later on or something but I wasn't really invested in getting there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDA9B2qiK4

As someone with little relationship to Ariana Grande and no relationship to the related Disney tween shows the initial segments were a little uninteresting conceptually but CJ always carries it with energy. The last parts are a lot more interesting for sure. I do think that although the core themes of the video are reasonably clear, they could maybe have done with some more exploration than just bringing up Grande's comments on her choice of looks in the last 5 minutes and letting the audience draw the parallel to how CJ explores her acting decisions in her shows, but given the length of the video I kinda understand that decision. I think centering the conclusion on the juxtaposition with McCurdy instead was a better idea in many ways.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
There are people out there that really like to listen to other people slurp and that's probably the biggest culture shock I've ever experienced

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah Dragon Friends is the only one I watch too, and even that one has the occasional dry episode and certainly scene. But it also has some amazingly funny episodes and is generally fun. I think the end of the first season was when it really caught me.

I kinda wish I could get into Critical Role because that would be so many hours of entertainment to go through, but I've always found these groups that play it straight way too dry and boring to watch. Most of the best Dragon Friends episodes are literally just improv basically. They had a great 2 hour stream a couple weeks ago where they started playing at 40 minutes in!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
First Sarah Z, now Quinton, who infected them with Maular disease?

To be fair to the former her recent stuff is not that much longer than what Hbomb puts out or the like I guess, it's just not the amount of time I'm willing to watch a video about the topics she chooses most of the time. But 3.5 and 4.5 hours, Jesus Christ Quinton

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I dunno, part of it is I recently also watched CJTheX's mostly iCarly video which was 'only' 80 minutes and I feel like it definitely had more to say and more interesting framing than what Quinton's video will based on his previous videos on shows and the like. But to be fair it's not like I've watched his iCarly video to say that for sure. I probably won't either unless it gets rave reviews. At least the Fred one is about a human disaster which makes framing a lot easier, and also I haven't recently watched a great video on the exact same topic.

E: Also I don't really get the 'putting it on in the background' concept, like these are videos and not podcasts. Aren't people afraid of missing poo poo if they're not watching it reasonably attentively? It especially feels weird for videos about TV-shows because presumably the visuals are going to play a reasonably large part of at least some sections of the review.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lost's ending was disappointing but it wasn't nearly as dire as Dexter's, GoT's or BSG's.

Eeeh, I dunno, they're different kinds of bad.

- Dexter was kind of serial, it got poo poo yeah but I feel like it doesn't really invalidate or hurt the early seasons.

- GoT got kinda bad past the halfway point and then dove into complete poo poo at the end, but you could tell a lot of that was from the showrunners getting more and more control over the story and characters and having no loving idea what to do with it. Which makes sense since it wasn't really 'their' story to begin with. As someone who read the books in the 2000s I've personally soured on ASoiAF series and Martin in general and probably won't read his next book if it ever comes out, but I still have no doubt his follow-up would be better than that. Basically it feels like a show that shat the bed because the wrong people were in control.

- Lost is a show that basically unraveled for its ending. When you watch the Lost ending, unlike something like GoT where you can still believe the first half was and could still be internally consistent and concluded satisfyingly, Lost reveals that the entire story was completely made-up bullshit the whole time. If you were invested in the mysteries and 'lore' of the show, I feel like Lost was many times more disappointing. However, unlike GoT it managed to be a more entertaining spiral into destruction, so it has that going for it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Takoluka posted:

According to Wikipedia, Oswald is not responsible for JFK's assassination but accepts his fate as the scapegoat, and that's got me feeling some kind of way.

but what about in billy bat?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

Summoning Salt takes a look at the history of Super Mario 64 16 Star speedruns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wscUcbynk

His approach feels slightly sillier than usual. The Matt Turk fakeout got me good.

I like his stuff but I'm really starting to wish he branched out to some more different games instead of doing the same series over and over again. Of course it might be that he just doesn't have much interest in covering other stuff and it would just lead to worse videos and burnout but still. Give me some Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil, Dark Souls, etc speedrun histories!

E: Just looked at his videos from the past years and there's a bit more stuff than I thought (only remembered Nintendo games) but on the other hand I'm pretty sure more than half of his videos are Mario or Mario Kart

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 22, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I feel like the internet are probably not gonna agree that public-facing sex pests predating on coworkers and/or fans and someone who scams $80 drawings on the internet are actually equally good to dox, personally

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Even if fans were trying to rank One Piece characters on their bounties before it was still a much better solution than Haki in a lot of ways because it was all obviously built off of imperfect information. Oda got a lot of comedy out of them and the information was frequently misleading to either the protagonists or antagonists. It was also a much more fun system. The main drawback to it of course being that any character on the right side of the law never got bounties of their own. Although honestly it could be easily fixed by having pirate-issued bounties on world government-affiliated characters instead.

Haki is definitely very dumb.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

not really, aside from the general 'that's not what Narcissistic Personality Disorder is' thing it's just kinda a really shallow look at a character through a lens she doesn't really grasp that ignores that even if you entirely focus on MCU Loki to do this his circumstances are so far divorced from normal psychology it's pointless to ascribe disorders and diagnoses to him.

Like, it'd be like making a video about if the Borg Queen from Star Trek had Borderline Personality Disorder, even if you fully understand BPD and use it correctly and all it's just a kinda pointless video because she's an alien robot lady who doesn't have human psychology so your read of 'yes' or 'no' means very little when you could just focus on a broader analysis on her behavior and personality.

Isn't the whole appeal of superheroes to put a mirror on certain aspects of society, and the very derails that are a hallmark of this thread generally centered around that? Seems like a weirdly dehumanizing take for a character that, from what I understand, is most popular due to being a quippy bad boy (I have never watched a Marvel movie so I don't really know). I would find it very surprising if the writers of Marvel blockbusters set out to characterize him as alien and inhuman at least.

Doesn't mean Lindsay Ellis knows what NPD looks like though lol.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

UFO: Enemy Unknown, AND we bloody invented it. How dare you get Euro games wrong.

I mean for gently caress'S sake

(/s)

Personally I'm extremely mad for sure at the idea of the genre being named after XCom when Fire Emblem did it a full 4 years before UFO. And that was probably not even the first tbh but I don't know poo poo about 80s gaming.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Xcom is also procedurally generated, has a grand strategy layer, a base building component, and no characters or story to speak of. The turn and combat systems are also completely different. They both have tiles, I guess?

Both games feature turn-based squad combat with permanent death that provides hindrances on a strategic level due to losing an asset that has time and resources spent on them which will now need to be replaced by a relative newbie, and where the loss of many such assets risks bricking your overall campaign due to it being designed around your squad getting stronger rather than weaker as time goes on.

This is IMO the only core thing that defines this type of game. poo poo like RPG elements, grand strategy elements, procgen, details of combat system beyond turn-based squad, etc just doesn't seem particularly relevant. Hell I could accept arguments that neither turn-based nor squad-based combat are necessary, although I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Relevant to online creators: Twitch got leaked. Like all of twitch.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-entirety-of-twitch-has-reportedly-been-leaked/

Seeing the numbers on some of these streamers is pretty interesting stuff. The top streamers raking in tens of millions of dollars since 2019 for example.

I found out one guy I've watched for years who usually gets 6 - 9k viewers earned over $500k over that time just through twitch itself, not sponsor deals outside twitch, youtube uploads and social media, any non-twitch donations, etc. Good for him.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

drat Critical role is rolling in just subs money :captainpop:

Apparently the first screenshot had the wrong numbers and the second looks a lot more reasonable...still tons though.

E: Although the fact that they were hosed up once does put doubts as to whether the second is accurate either, certainly I imagine all the streamers that bother addressing this will use this to claim the numbers are all wrong whether that's true or not.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah I've seen quite a few corroborating streamers so far, the second list seems to be accurate.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sydin posted:

Charlie's response was "my sub numbers are public knowledge, take that number and multiply it by 2.5-3.5 and yeah that's what I'm making off Twitch. Why are so many people surprised at my income?"

Lots of streamers, especially the really top ones with many thousands of subs, don't publicly reveal their sub numbers. I dunno why someone would be surprised by his numbers specifically.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

does he bring up his famous jeans with two zippers so that you can have one undone so it looks like your fly is undone

sounds like jeans for cowards

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Quinton put the Victorious video out and it's 8 hours lol

Here I was thinking HBomb's Deus Ex video was ludicrously too long

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever happened to brevity is the soul of wit.

I imagine most people making these lengthy videos think of it more like a bachelor thesis in video form than a stand-up routine tbh

In this paper we will discuss the show Victorious (Schneider et al, 2010[1])...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zamnyCVP0
Someone I've seen on Tik Tok and wasn't aware he had a Youtube but B. Dylan Hollis does a thing where he makes old rear end baking recipes. This video is him trying a couple of different peanut butter bread recipes. If you've seen his Tik Toks he's more subdued in this and much more wordy.

As a European this man's accent is scary and disorienting, like time-traveling to an alternate-universe 1900 America

Good video though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Count me as another person who gets the Marble Blast video on my front page for a few days even though I'm not subbed (though I have watched a couple of their videos a while ago) but have negative interest in watching a video about Marble Blast. Not sure if it's algorithm or just subject matter keeping them down, but so goes Youtube either way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Njashi9 posted:

Well this might be the first 5 hour essay i'll watch on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/O_KVCFxnpj4

It's been 6 hours and YT still just gives me an error if I try to increase the resolution above 360p. Is it usually that slow to process big videos? It's not like I'm trying to go to 4k here, just 720p. I assume it will eventually also be available in 1080p at least but it just says 'Missing Options' for that atm.

E: I would wait but I'm currently stuck waiting for my dataset to get processed for another like 80 mins and it would be nice to have something to watch

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 3, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It was expensive to sub to it.

Still is. 15 bucks a month. I had it for a bit and I miss it if only for the lack of ads.

But 15 bucks a month Jfc

I could subscribe to probably like 5 big titty onlyfans accounts with that money

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I do not have a child but I'm close with my cousin who does and I can confirm their kid watches 0 TV and 1239493224 hours of lovely kids Youtube videos. Even as a toddler they would just put on nursery rhymes on Youtube and poo poo.

E: The kid has heard of Mario but I am not sure if he has heard of Sonic!!!!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

stillvisions posted:

I'm pretty sure Hussie was able to keep up the pace *because* he was writing by the seat of his pants and the more he swerved the plot the more the fans were happy to construct elaborate fan theory boards about how deep it was.

It's kinda interesting, I dropped off Homestuck a bit before its mega-hiatus and never got back on, but honestly for a good while Hussie had a knack for paying off his foreshadowing/weird poo poo fans were speculating on without readers getting disappointed. That's kind of what I feel separates his kind of 'making poo poo up' from a lot of popular media created with that process - you often get few real payoffs or any idea that they know where they're going about anything. If anything with Hussie I more got the sense that he could have easily wrapped it up in a satisfying way multiple different times, and each time just decided to go 'nah gently caress that I'm gonna expand this poo poo' and would just add more bloat, not because it was all that hard to navigate to an ending but because he clearly didn't want to.

As mentioned eventually the bloat went too far, and to me it felt like the story got too derailed in referencing and in many ways making fun of/making GBS threads on itself and the fandom culture around it. Somewhat deserved to be sure, but a satisfying story it does not make, and it really didn't need so many characters. That was probably my biggest issue, just never stopped adding characters.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I think we’ve been over this to death, but Homestuck built up a lot of things and failed to pay off either at all in a satisfactory manner. Stuff like Karkat becoming a leader/his faith in Alternia’s society or the alpha/beta kids meeting up being hastily dumped in the last panels before the end instead of playing out more organically over the course of Act 6 are why the whole thing felt like it ended with such a whimper. All the meta jokes about character arcs in the world won’t stop your story from sagging because the bulk of your cast ended with narrative dead ends.

Still, it’s hard to fault Hussie for wanting the drat thing done at that point, because it likely would have taken another 2-3 years for it to end in a way that felt properly paced and well-written.

To me by time the first generation of alien kids get introduced we're already at the point where Hussie has paid off a lot of stuff and could have been looking towards ending it. Another point obviously being before he starts clusterfucking it up with another bazillion characters a couple chapters later. Basically most of the stuff that neither got payoffs nor could have gotten them if he didn't want to co-opt them into all the new stuff, was introduced with Alternia.

E: tbh I am probably more rose-colored in my glasses than most readers because I kinda lost interest and wandered off before the real dumb poo poo happened so Hussie never got to ruin my nostalgia, like quitting GoT before the last few seasons or something

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 18, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Don't let the French (or chefs) catch you calling European-style* pancakes crepes lol. The thickness is fairly different and so is the consistency. I love both though.

Usually eat mine with blueberry jam or bacon. Or both, it's a good combo.

* I know it's not completely unanimous across the continent but close enough

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Pictured, a pancake (Pfannkuchen) according to the utterly deranged:

If it's deep fried like Berliners are, can it REALLY be called a pancake? It doesn't even touch the pan!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IDK about other places but here in Norway it's mostly that pancakes are more often eaten with sweet toppings (jams, powdered sugar, honey, fresh berries, syrups, etc) than savory ones. And pancakes with sweet toppings are seen as way too sugary to eat frequently. I usually have pancakes a couple times a year probably. It works well as a dessert but personally at least I just don't bother going to the effort of cooking them over just grabbing some ice cream or whatever if I'm having dessert.

I've never had pancakes for breakfast or similar. Pancakes with bacon would probably be pretty nice as a breakfast. But we Norwegians are both very boring and very lazy with our breakfast so :effort: I only eat muesli with milk or slices of bread.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
BobbyBroccoly fell victim to a bizarre copyright claim situation and had to reupload their excellent supercollider finale, so you should watch the series if you haven't!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zHLXvFUs0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Speaking of European Bullshit, I am not sure whether 'not knowing about reusable shopping bags' is a Drew thing or a US thing? I am not super surprised that they might not be in common use across the Atlantic, but I wasn't expecting to see them in a weird ads video.

E: I mean the ad is weird for me too, but only because these bags are $1 at literally any grocery store and there are So Many Design Variations so I can't imagine ordering them online.