Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

euphronius posted:

Did Dawson do a good job as Ash(hs)oka?

Assume I've never seen a star wars cartoon.

As someone who bounces back and forth between hating the cartoons and mostly tolerating them, Dawson made me love a character who is probably my least favorite toon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Rinkles posted:

don't like the way he looks in rebels, from the clips i've seen

His voice in Rebels is what annoys me. I guess they wanted to make him seem very deliberate, precise, and calculating, but he just comes off as a bit slow and challenged.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Azhais posted:

Bruce Campbell should come in and just play Sam Axe as a replacement for Cara Dune

As long as he's missing a hand and has a lightsaber strapped to the stump.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Smythe posted:

i mean, it's their script and they can do what they want, of course. but it's really dumb, also. being really dumb hasn't stopped them in the past so it doesn't bother me in this, or any case. just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

It's totally dumb. It's dumb just like how on Earth we have smart doorbells the size of a deck of playing cards, but in Star Wars the doorbells are these basketball sized eyeballs on three foot long poles. Stuff can be both dumb and cool at the same time. Like Kurt Russel in Big Trouble in Little China.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CelticPredator posted:

There will be some angry rear end nerds tomorrow because they paid money for that expensive toy.

Nope. I'm pissed because now I'll need more shelf space for the next expensive toy when he gets a Space Geo Metro.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

This episode was obviously less visually impressive than a lot of the previous ones

I keep seeing people say this, but that's a big part of why I loved it. Seeing guys in plastic armor tromping around a real desert sent me right back to being a kid seeing ANH the first time. This episode just felt so original trilogy stylistically. I've never been a Boba Fett fanboy but getting to see him earn his reputation was magical, and watching those chunks of armor flying felt more visceral than any splatterific war movie I can think of. Hell I got a lump in my throat just seeing the Slave 1 flying in. I loving love this show so much.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Cartoon Man posted:

If we got knee missiles as official canon, it’s only a matter of time till we get knee lightsabers...

Considering the director, I'm calling this a serious missed opportunity,

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

A.o.D. posted:

How do you know that?

They said the Tuskens had been dealing with / monitoring the habits of that Krayt since before the town even existed. It'd been a problem for decades but they said it had just recently started causing more of a problem for the town because they don't know why.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Isometric Bacon posted:

Fun thought exercise. How could this show (realistically) jump the shark?

My answer? Time travel.

That's a tough one. Last year I said I'd be out if they really brought in Ashoka, but now I'm rooting for her to get a spin off show. So with reservation I'll say,

A: If they bring in the annoying kid from Rebels I'm probably out, but they may surprise me again.

B: If they bring in Luke I might be out.

B.2: If they bring in Luke and he's not played by Mark Hamill (De-aged or otherwise) I'm 100% out.

edit:

Also this,

piL posted:

Life day special.

Unless they digitally resurrect Bea Arthur.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 6, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Well that was terrible. Everyone expected a cliffhanger because there wasn't time to wrap things up, and instead they just decided to have a zero stakes half rear end Pew-pew fight in double time and top it off with cartoon Luke. That was bad like the producers showed up on the first day of filming the last episode and said "You're cancelled, jam an ending on it". I'm honestly kind of wondering if Disney didn't decide to wrap the show to make way for spin-offs, but even if there is another season I think I'm out. That was inexcusable.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody claiming “gently caress it I’m now done with Star Wars!” You’ll be back next season for Mando and Boba Fett, don’t lie...

I didn't see anyone say that. I will eagerly line up be spoon fed SW media and the Boba show announcement was the shining moment of the finale, but this show poo poo the bed too hard to come back for. To be clear I loved that they used de-aged Luke, and the only complaint I have with him is the stiff emotionless line delivery. The problem is wrapping a great season up with an uninspired and badly choreographed shoot out, as Gus delivers the most cringetastic dialog while the good guys cake walk through a boring boss fight. Noting felt earned so nothing felt like a pay-off, and Grogu leaving should have been a big emotional moment that was cut down into a "Sad to see you go, bye now" afterthought with no heart. Every moment just felt like an wet fart.

Plus most of the people I know that watch the show religiously aren't really SW fans, they just watch to see the cute green baby toddling through a dangerous adventure. A big percentage of the audience isn't going to stick around long if he's gone.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Teek posted:

The Deadline article says Pedro’s schedule was opened recently and he has several projects he was looking at.

That could easily just mean shooting schedules got tweaked, or he gave up being a T Ball coach or something and has more free time. It's not the 70's and 80's when a season was 20 plus episodes. Principle shooting on eight episode shows are six or eight week windows where the actors are expected to be available as needed, and shooting schedules are worked into contract negotiations. There's no reason to assume it's going affect the plot.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean they’ll be worth a whole bunch until everyone who already had the figure realizes people are paying crazy money for them, at which point eBay will be flooded with listings and the value will go back down. It’ll probably still be worth more than average, but nowhere near the current 3-4x retail that I’ve seen today.

I saw this coming and got my hands on several of the black series figures in both scales months ago, but I'd feel a little gross profiting from someone's holocaust denial. I may just put them on the grill in honor of Gina burning down her career.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CelticPredator posted:

You can’t find them anyway. Before she was a poo poo they came out and were gone immediately. I never saw a trace of one in the store.

Heck I’ve never seen one Din Mando once in the wild. I did find a Carl weathers toy and kuill

As much as I hate paying shipping Big Bad Toy store doesn't price gouge and they've always come through, even though sometimes it takes forever. They always get poo poo in, but sometimes it's months after release.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't be comicsgate. Just sell them for whatever you paid.

Then somebody else profits from it. I'll probably just leave them in the bottom of my "Why did I buy this?" walk in closet and my kids can pay off their student loans after I kick it.

That's a great idea, thank you!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 12, 2021

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

fartknocker posted:

(I remember thinking it’d be about the X-wing pilots we see a few times in season 2)

After seeing them take the MCU into full on comic book wonkyness with Wandavision and having it somehow turn out great, I super want to see exactly this. Just a couple jaded X-Wing dudes trying to bust Jawa hubcap stealing rings and bullshitting while drinking coffee at Space 7-11.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

With Wilhelm scream for added hilarity

In the opening shot of S3 just dress the hairiest stuntman handy in her outfit and wearing the worlds worst wig. Film him from from behind walking out into the street and getting stepped on by a Bantha. Mando theme.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Bust Rodd posted:

The crinkles were literally intentionally added aging effects and wrinkles to make her look more like a living thing and less like a plastic toy and only the most egregiously pedantic simpletons were like “oh geeze they really had no make up budget, look at this shoddy craftsmanship, it ought to be smooth like the plastic cones they used 45 years ago!!”

Yeah all the complaining about that was strange. I mean I noticed it right off and thought "Oh, nice touch. They gave her age creases where here tentacle things flex when she moves". I mean I've never looked at somebody's frown lines or the inside of their elbows and told 'em they need a better special effects team.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Butterfly Valley posted:

The simple thing to remember about aliens is budget. It's expensive to do realistic looking prosthetics or anything CGI, hence Star Trek and a multitude of alien races being humans except with gills or some other feature easily added/removed with makeup. Even more so now that everything is shot in 4K - look at the amount of scrutiny Ahsoka's headtail crinkles got.

Yeah, but this show is tossing out high end stuff all over the place for little one off scenes. Hell, the one eyed dude at the boxing match looked great...well there was a bit where the eye wasn't working right for a couple of lines...But that was easily at least 100 to 150 K of animatronic protetics they used for a five minute open. They've had better makeup on background extras out of focus due to depth of field than you see up front in a lot of films. The money is there for more exotic aliens to be front and center, and between how well Quill and the baby worked I hope they have the confidence go nuts with it.

*Actually a lot of foam silicone appliances can run 100 to 150K without animatronics so I'm probably way low on the cost of one eye. Hell, back in the early 2000's Rygel from Farscape cost a little north of a million bucks.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Barry Foster posted:

I used to love that show, thought it was the poo poo when I was a kid.

I imagine it's actually just poo poo, though

I just watched it on Amazon prime a few months ago, and honestly by a few episodes in it starts riding this weird line between "Oh my god this is hilarious" and "Holy poo poo, they're trying to do something kinda balls out and interesting for a kids spaceman show". As an avid consumer of strange goofy poo poo this is a hard one to pin down, and it's so worth checking out in adult mode.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Alchenar posted:

I remember there's an episode where basically-the-terminator kills everyone (undone by time-travel at the end) but that was loving dark for a kids show.

Yeah, that may have been the first big "Wait...WHAT? episode. It was made by Gerry Anderson who had done Space: 1999 and Thunderbirds. An Article I halfway remember reading about him said he wanted to do a serious adult oriented sci-fi drama, but nobody would put up the money for an effects heavy budget on a space show that wasn't targeted at kids. So Anderson bent the knee up front to get funded, and started slipping in "That's pretty hosed up for a kids show" content as it went on.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I watched Space: 1999 for the first time in forever sometime last year, and holy poo poo that show got dark at times, at least in the first season anyways.

My favorite toy as a child was a Mattel 31" Eagle 1 I inherited from an older brother. I can't re-watch that show because I get so bummed out that I gave it away when I became a "grown-up" and went off to big boy college.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

nine-gear crow posted:

SyFy really is/was the USS Enterprise of Incredibly loving Stupid Decisions, wasn't it?

I haven't put eyes on anything SyFy has done since they backed out on the contract for the final season of Farscape. Some sins just can't be forgiven.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Sanguinia posted:

Snips is good nickname. :colbert:

It sounds way to close to nips, and it grosses me out enough that I stopped watching the show. Plus it makes no sense, I mean it's not like she has pincers for hands or is the Jedi barber or something.

*Full disclosure, my freshman year of high-school there was an rear end in a top hat senior bully and his crew that called any girls with large breasts "Nips", so I know it's more a me thing and not a show thing, mostly.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Danzel Glovington posted:

I really started cracking up at the "DIAD" bit.

I love about 75% of Auralnauts stuff, but this one while funny also kept rubbing my nose in all the poop I try to ignore from the not OT movies. I had actually blanked out the Dyad stuff almost completely and now I'm just annoyed again.

I mean still laughed my rear end off, especially at the Grogu Polaroid.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Hazo posted:

I was going to ask about these-- are they serious or comedic or somewhere dry and extremely in between like the Reimagined edits?

The first three or four are comedy gold, and the rest are good but not great.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Spookydonut posted:

also jimmy carr and annoyingly he's in all the british comedy shows

What the gently caress is up with that guy and how can anyone tell he's saying anything gross? Every time I see him it's like he making word sounds that I can't even focus on because I'm white knuckling the arms of my chair, dreading the next moment when he does that weird Pop-N-Fresh Hoo-hoo-Hooo noise he makes every 30 seconds or so.

It's worse than Jim Gaffigan explaining every joke he tells in a chipmunk voice after every goddamn punchline.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Counterpoint: they should have not let JJ back to finish the movies because he can't write a good ending if his life depended on it.

Yeah, but it's not just the endings. JJ would be a fine B unit director. He's okay at mimicking the style of actually good directors for a short scene, but holy poo poo that guy can't manage to string the parts together in any kind of coherent fashion. Hell, I kinda like TFA even though it was "meh" entirely because I was pleasantly shocked that he was capable of stepping his game up to meh levels.

*Plus his "original" ideas are worse that a 12 year old latchkey kid's fan fiction. I mean before the producers shot down his first idea for the Sith fleet in Ep 9 he wanted to have death star/star destroyer hybrids, and instead of launching waves of TIE fighters they would launch waves of star destroyers. In TFA he turns the death star up to eleven, and in TRoS coolest idea he could dream up was to turn it up to twelve.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
As a stationary production sketch it's fine, but when the Jaws/Empire theme combo slowly swells and clouds of Star destroyers come belching out of them, followed by the reveal of the The Millennium Falcon's totally radical new light saber torpedo cannon, there's no way it ends well.

Goddamit. That still might have been better than what they went with.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 11, 2021

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Robot Style posted:

Aside from that concept art being from Episode 7, where's that info from? The stuff I've heard (which, admittedly is from Lucasfilm approved sources) has the enormous fleet of regular Star Destroyers as one of his earliest ideas for Episode 9, but it'd be interesting to see what other bizarre stuff they came up with before having to rein it in.

I don't remember where I first saw it, but I know one place I also saw it was on SA in some rage against TRoS thread accompanied by slightly different concept art that showed just one death star destroyer with a bunch of regular Star destroyers launching from it. I couldn't find that exact image, but the ship was the same as the two in the image I did find.

If I get motivated I'll dig my old PC out of the closet and find it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

VinylonUnderground posted:

I hate all the Prequels but Phantom Menace is *substantially* better than the other two. King of poo poo mountain -- I don't even like the podracing parts.

Yup. None of them are very good, but with TPM at least they still did some actual practical puppetry, a surprising amount of good miniature work, and some set construction. It suffers from Lucas half-assing the dialog and plot like the rest, but it benefits from less fully cartoon environments and marginally fewer scenes of actors in a green screen closet taking slow baby steps so they don't run out of set. Plus in TPM it's clear George didn't care about the acting or the actors, but he hadn't started totally writing them off as extended CGI assets yet. Even though I don't like the PT I can understand why some folks do, but I don't get why TPM isn't considered the best of them.

*and yeah the podracing stuff is terrible. It reminds me of the droid factory scene from 2 or 3. It felt like Lucas was all like "We need something actiony, gimme ten minutes of a bunch of poo poo moving fast".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Sash! posted:

The pod racing scene (or any action scene) was required at that point. There had to be something to establish that Anakin was a capable pilot, to hold with Obi-Wan's contention that he was such when they met.

But that's what the scene with him actually piloting a starfighter was there for. To me the podrace plot-line is too forced (heh) and falls apart even under the loosest Star Wars has space wizards logic. Sitting in the theater on opening day telling myself "You like this" I still didn't buy the queens space yacht not having a few million Quatloos in a bug-out bag, or Qui-Gon not having an expense account and a JediMastercard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

SaintFu posted:

I had a friend who swore that when he saw ANH (before it was called that) it had the scene with Luke talking to Biggs on Tatooine.

That's because Biggs had a whole character write up and there were several stills of that cut scene published in The Official Star Wars Movie Magazine, and the novelization also had a couple Biggs scenes in it. I had read the book and had the magazine before I saw the movie. I remember seeing Biggs in the background in a couple shots and being really confused that the interactions from the magazine photos never happened. For a while I started believing I half remembered it from the movie too, until I found a copy of of that magazine in a box of stuff from my moms house and realized the source of my confusion. It'd be a pretty small stretch for people to smush up memories of seeing those photos/reading the book and convince themselves they saw it in the movie.