Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I solved the initial puzzle entirely on accident and only afterwards did I realize how it worked.

I never realise how puzzles work. I just do random stuff until a chest appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Tae posted:

Kokomi is next week, Thoma is next patch which can be anything from 28 days to 41 days from now.

What. They’ve never missed a patch. It’s every six weeks. So four.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

kater posted:

What. They’ve never missed a patch. It’s every six weeks. So four.

They mean either the first or second banner of the patch

kater
Nov 16, 2010

But Thomas isn’t gonna be a banner character ?

Kale
May 14, 2010

dogsicle posted:

you just learn to never idle on her or Ayaka 👍

I love me some Saori Hayami but that Katana wo Sasae line comes up way to often. Like if I put the game down for 3 minutes she'll probably say it at least 6-7 times alone in that time frame which is way too repetitive for that type of time frame. More than anything instead of adding more birthday and character reference lines or gags the characters need a wider range of idle lines. I'd say like a dozen and randomly picking from them will probably work well enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Please giev Xinqqui banner.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sanctum posted:

This banner has been very kind to me. :neckbeard: So what role is Kokomi supposed to fill? I can get her with all the primos I saved on this banner, unless Thoma is coming soon?

she's got a few apparent roles so far, so it just kinda depends what you want

she's got good off-field hydro application so would be a natural support for freeze teams. she covers the healing slot so the rest of your team could be devoted to damage, and as a catalyst user she's got support weapon options like TT and PA. having a turret means she can also run a full Millelith set to buff the team.

the more obvious design intent with her is to let her both heal and deal decent damage, so her burst is a stance change that boosts all her damage based on max hp. it's only a 10s window, so she's going to fit more naturally with other characters who have hard CD limits like Shogun or Yoimiya. she should also slot into the existing Childe teams well enough.

you might also find her an easier character to gear, since she's unable to crit and thus actually likes "trash" artifacts that roll hard into hp substats. as usual we'll see understanding of her develop more once she's been out about a week.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Xiao is by far my strongest character purely because I managed to roll some pretty solid artifacts for him and have never bothered to replace any of them, but I don't use him that much unless I Need Something Dead or its a boss I don't have a good elemental counter prepared for. I lucked into C1 for him and his C1 sounds not particularly necessary but it really was like night and day- an extra dash makes his rotation feel so much smoother and no fall damage from plunge attacks means i can just loving launch myself off anywhere without giving a poo poo because i can just come in like an orbital laser and immediately slam into all the enemies like a loving pinball with his air dash

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

Kokomis english VA is interesting to me, because it feels like a slightly different direction for the character than the other Kokomi voices.
I tend to not have strong opinions on the voice acting, but I wish you could just set language on a per character basis. Being able to mix and match and just select your favourite performances would be nice.
Dainsleif is a treat in japanese, but Bennett is someone I want in english. Et cetera.

I think this type of thing might be more indicative of exactly what part of the audience we end up looking at.

I always see a ton of Albedo art from draw twitter, people drawing cute little comics about him and Klee and folks also appreciated him in the brach episode and the misty dungeon event. People like his relation to Klee and despite some jank he's generally appreciated in what he brings to a team.

The audience for this game isn't only a monolith of horny teenage boys.
Granted my perspective is also distorted by the preferences of the draw fiends I pay attention to, but neither is it super insightful to scrape the bottom of the barrel and present it as the majority opinion (I have no idea what you're talking about with that supposed Yae Miko meme and I don't need to know).

I'm not going to say Albedo would sell amazingly well, but I don't think he would do much worse than the Childe rerun.

Honestly reading the internet these days I'd swear gamers are like 60% ultra horny mega chuds jerking each other off about their perversions and staunch anti-"censorship" stance 24/7, but yeah that's probably just an oversampling based on it being the stupid rear end internet in 2021....I hope.

As for Hu Tao's English VA, I believe it's Brianna Knickerbocker who in all my experiences with her she has a very unusual cadence. It's often very earnest and pow in your face line reads of even some of the most mundane dialogue. Based on what I know of Hu Tao she's probably a good fit, but since I've never heard Hu Tao in English I wouldn't be able to give much of an opinion beyond it's one of the ones I'm familiar with. She does characters like Dana in Y's VIII and Sakura/Charlotte/Ninian/Est in Fire Emblem games.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I wouldn't say Kokomi's easier to gear. She still wants highly specific stats (not just whatever), and crit will be her version of trash stats as well as the classic DEF. Whatever you get for her also isn't going to be transferrable for the most part.

Still, I'm having fun doing it, because pretty much everyone I care about is geared and I like having unique sets that "belong" to only one character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

'Gamers' no longer just means 'people who play games'. It is a specific subculture of overdramatic misogynistic CHUDs. There are plenty of people who play games but would recoil at self-identifying as a 'gamer', because of said subculture.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

My Albedo is doing 15k crits now and is really good.

As I posted earlier it doesn't work on loving shield damage which is bullshit but he's strong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

'Gamers' no longer just means 'people who play games'. It is a specific subculture of overdramatic misogynistic CHUDs. There are plenty of people who play games but would recoil at self-identifying as a 'gamer', because of said subculture.
this isnt really true. plenty of those normal people also self-identify as gamers, because the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people do not pay attention to a few weirdos on twitter/reddit or let it dictate their word choice. your life would be better off if you followed their lead.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Gamers rise up. Girls won't gently caress me because electro needs a buff.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I for one can't loving stand them and deeply resent their speak for all gamer's attitudes about things like how women should be depicted in games and how because they occasionally pay money to buy games or game related stuff (Guess what?! So do I! What a concept!) that they are entitled to be massive shitheads about everything to do with them and harass the poo poo out of developers and staff that make them....very noticeably typically women and very noticeably typically ones of color. If that's what's most important to them then they're REALLY in the wrong hobby the way the wind is blowing and no matter what they think they're never going to get the desperate last stand culture war victory they seem to think they are embroiled in for the "soul of gaming" or whatever, where it's converted into a far-right white male only catering hobby with "non-threatening" far-centric depictions and concepts forever and for always. Somehow I'm pretty sure that game developers and publishers love that year on year growth and diversification of the video game playing audience that's been building since roughly the early 2000's.

The selective bitching is really noticeable with them too. For example this is a group that tends to go on and on and on about the bane of micro-transactions when it suits their worldview, which while yes it's a problem it's one they also seem curiously okay with and even an in a Fryshutupandtakemymoney.jpeg posting sense when they feel something about the monetization aligns somehow with their lovely politics to be performative about it in a different sense than usual. Usually this is when it's some sort of sexy waifu character drawing in a gacha game such as this one.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Sometimes yeah. I used to believe this was something like an Urban Legend, but I have seen examples of it before.

e: For the record this is strictly how THAT group seems to see these characters, as strictly about their aesthetics. Not me.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo all of this handwringing about Misogynistic Male Gamers is often used as a cover tactic to reorient conversations entirely around men, as is happening right now, as well as to dismiss the opinions of women who disagree with you, as is done often in conversations about censorship.

It's one thing if they're actually present or actively exerting some kind of pressure but in a situation where they blatantly have no power and nobody is expressing an opinion remotely related to them, bringing them up to beat the drum about them is boring at best and distraction at worst. I'd be much more interested in a conversation about genshin's female fanbase, how a lot of that female fanbase also loves characters like ganyu, how the word 'waifu' is often used in a weirdly dismissive way as if female characters can't be appealing or charming unless you're some kinda weird horny anime bro, and the differences between how male and female characters are marketed and treated in this game.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in short im telling you to shut up already jesus

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Zhongli's still the most attractive character in the game.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
when will they release a male oomfie

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

in short im telling you to shut up already jesus

Well gently caress you to then honestly. I was more or less done talking about it and even trying to agree with you're points a little as there's often multiple sides to the same coin, but if you want to be all thread police about it then whatever :lol:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Well gently caress you to then honestly. I was more or less done talking about it and even trying to agree with you're points a little as there's often multiple sides to the same coin, but if you want to be all thread police about it then whatever :lol:
im sorry i told you you were making me uncomfortable and being weird about women, noted anti-sexist gamer.

Space Flower posted:

when will they release a male oomfie
when will they release a tiny polearm user, that seems obvious

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I wouldn't say Kokomi's easier to gear. She still wants highly specific stats (not just whatever), and crit will be her version of trash stats as well as the classic DEF. Whatever you get for her also isn't going to be transferrable for the most part.

Still, I'm having fun doing it, because pretty much everyone I care about is geared and I like having unique sets that "belong" to only one character.

the hat and cup are the same hurdle anyone else has, but with crit substats having lower weight it should help that she just doesn't care about them. like she's probably thirsty for ER and that'll be a consideration, but otherwise you're just looking for the higher weighted stuff of flat hp and hp/atk%

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the hat and cup are the same hurdle anyone else has, but with crit substats having lower weight it should help that she just doesn't care about them. like she's probably thirsty for ER and that'll be a consideration, but otherwise you're just looking for the higher weighted stuff of flat hp and hp/atk%
*staring at avi* i think this person might have opinions on kokomi!!!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't even have half the stuff pre-farmed for her, don't look at me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

how can i not when your avatar keeps waving at me

edit: if you watch both our avs for long enough their waves eventually sync up

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

im sorry i told you you were making me uncomfortable and being weird about women, noted anti-sexist gamer.

when will they release a tiny polearm user, that seems obvious

Are you sure you aren't just assuming things regardless? It's plain to me to see how characters like Ganyu could be popular with women same as men. Plenty of positive character traits to identify with for starters. Don't ever recall stating anything to the contrary to be perfectly honest. I believe I was momentarily replying to a post a guy made about a particular group of gamers, sharing my thoughts and about to move on, but didn't realize I wasn't allowed too. I apologize for this apparent transgression.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

this isnt really true. plenty of those normal people also self-identify as gamers, because the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people do not pay attention to a few weirdos on twitter/reddit or let it dictate their word choice. your life would be better off if you followed their lead.

Yeah, people need to step back and touch grass for a few hours. A decade ago people were happily calling themselves Gamers for enjoying Farmville and later Candy Crush. The barrier for entry is spending the 2-400$ for a console or downloading Steam and seeing what your computer can run.

If you stop willing walking towards the loudest most obnoxious voices in every community every single time, you'll find yourself much happier.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I snuck a peek at upcoming characters, and yunjin will be my post-kokomi waifu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also speaking of characters to add i really hope they support hydro a bit more before the hydro chapter comes around in a couple years. with kokomi hydro will actually have more characters than geo, but at least geo has 1 polearm, 1 sword, 1 catalyst, and one claymore. hydro is at 3 catalysts, 1 bow, 1 sword. and the geo characters fulfill a variety of roles while basically everyone in hydro except childe is some type of support or off field dps character.

i want a hydro claymore

actually maybe itto is the hydro claymore. hes big and itd be funny if he was an element that was weak to sara.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 15, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ayato hydro real :pray:

Kale
May 14, 2010

dogsicle posted:

ayato hydro real :pray:

Kind of predicting Anemo or possibly Pyro to contrast with Ayaka. It occurs to me that we don't even know what he looks like yet, but I'm picturing something like Ayaka only obviously a bishonen samurai guy. Probably a little taller and same color color. Something like a younger Sephiroth but with Ayaka's hair color comes to mind.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’ve wanted an electro heal since I started playing the game and still do.

I’m so sad they made crow Bennett mediocre.

I am so tempted to throw away some wishes fishing for const… it’s like what 16% to hit a specific rate up four star?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that bishies were just made illegal in China.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they tend to make related characters work decently together on a team (see: sara and raiden) so odds are ayato will work well with ayaka, and ayaka really likes hydro teammates.

The Lone Badger posted:

that rule will be both arbitrary in its enforcement and only applies to actors/television, not art or games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be nice for the game to step away from adding pyro/cryo characters for a while

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

So-called "gamers" in this thread who aren't even in the improvement stage of gearing up an unreleased character, smh

edit: had the wrong hat

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be nice for the game to step away from adding pyro/cryo characters for a while
presumably theyre adding a bunch of them because the pyro/cryo chapters are the furthest off. if you think about it like that it kind of makes sense.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought it was specifically "sissy and effeminate men" or whatever the term is. If he's exhibiting masculine traits or whatever I think Uncle Xi is okay with it, but if not I think it's banned or something. Like to use an FF example again I would figure Sephiroth would make the cut in Xi's China because while he's bishonen he's also pretty stereotypically manly. Tall, well built, a martial samurai war hero type etc. Seymour however probably wouldn't....maybe...I don't know tbh. It's a new mandate in a country that is barely tested and arguably not all that enforceable because it's such a broadly discriminatory and largely unclear (at least in translation, but honestly probably in general) edict.

I still swear what probably happened there is he saw some BTS concert on TV and all the adoration and love they are getting as a big part of modern Korean Pop Culture, got all pissed off and threatened by it like he did with Winnie the Pooh and decided to overnight and with limited refining and clarification of legislation just summarily ban any and all similar types of acts with similar types of looks that don't fulfill his image of what he wants China to promote in both it's own domestic culture and cultural imports.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

So-called "gamers" in this thread who aren't even in the improvement stage of gearing up an unreleased character, smh

edit: had the wrong hat

That healing bonus Maiden Hat is a Holy Grail. Shame about the substats, but still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my healing bonus Maiden ate all the rolls in flat def/atk, none for the flat hp/hp%

i do have a similar Mill cup but feel like i'm more biased towards Maiden/Heart or full Heart