Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So I finished Chapter 1 and holy poo poo what a ride. I have always said this game is anime as gently caress and that was basically a season finale right there. I was kinda lukewarm on the story after tone-deaf bard and sad dragon adventure but chapter 1 redeemed it and way more. Boss fight was intense and not at all an hp-sponge snoozefest like Stormterror. Cutscenes were well choreographed and engaging. I am officially hyped as hell for future story content.

Also needed to add that tier lists are dumb. I'm maining Beidou and stomping everything at WL5. Yes that's probably because I pulled a Wolf's Gravestone off the perm banner but she was good even with a Debate Club. I snoozed through abyss 8, at least the half that had her on the team. Xiangling is a good enough second dps that I just had to keep her alive. Admittedly much harder when you keep hitting E on reflex to block with Tidecaller and whoops that's bear with a chili pepper.

Oh and this wasn't clear to me initially. Condensed resin is super good! I thought you still had to pay the 20 resin for the rewards, so I thought you were losing 20 resin in the deal. No, it's 40 resin for double rewards you use instead of the 20. It basically means you only have to grind the domains half as many times for the cost of a single fuckin fancy butterfly. And you can just bank them up on a day when you don't have as much time to play. I wouldn't use them on leylines just because leylines give you xp/mora/items and are super fast so it's worth doing more of them.

Now I pulled 2 Dionas so I need to get her up to "can survive WL5" so I can finally have a cryo character worth using (sorry Kaeya).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I overlooked a very critical downside to pulling Childe.

I have to farm Oceanid now.

:shepface:

Beidou absolutely mulches every creature it spawns besides the fuckin birds. Slapping 600% damage counters + electroshock every 7.5 seconds just wipes out the crabs and poo poo.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

nessin posted:

How is any character more resource intensive than any other character? Am I missing the magical formula to pull the right weapon needed for specific characters? The boss that drops more than other bosses? The character who can combo on their own and doesn't need another one with a different element?

I haven't built up Lisa but if you look at say Noelle, who I have built up, she took the same resources every other character would take to level up and use effectively, the only difference is her level bonus isn't direct damage related but that doesn't change she takes the exact same effort to build up as anyone else.

It's more that getting an extra DPS character up to viability is very resource intensive, since they need to be 70+ with a 70+ weapon and level 6 talents. Getting a support character to 60 and giving them a couple talent ranks is not. Making Lisa high enough level to deal adequate damage and not get instagibbed by the murderbirds is not as good as getting a couple more levels with your main or second dps. You can always just retry Oceanid and hope for no birds, but abyss difficulty is fixed and a couple levels can mean another star.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Joink posted:

Ignoring how clunky Lisa is to play, when you look at the raw numbers behind damage calculations her HOLD E (Violet Arc) skill scales incredibly well. So well it is in fact the hardest single hit possible, lvl 15 is +1157% dmg on a target with 3 conductive stacks.

Total damage per hit is irrelevant to DPS unless all you care about is alpha striking hillichurls (which only really works at her C6).

Okay let's go off the Wiki which only has stats to level 7 on Violet Arc.

Hold E damage with 3 stacks - 731%. That's on a 16s cooldown after 3 1s uses of E, plus the several seconds charge time, which is very interruptible.

Beidou's E (Tidecaller) with full counter damage (level 7) - 662% 7.5s cooldown, as well as giving as shield of 21% max hp +2392. Beidou also gets Electro damage as her ascension stat vs. Lisa's elemental mastery so it's going to have higher damage!

So it's uh, actually bad? Like I'll take an instant activation skill that does basically the same damage, that also shields me from damage instead of leaving me vulnerable, doesn't require 3 attacks worth of setup, and also has less than half the cooldown.

Lisa just isn't good. That doesn't mean you can't use her! The game's basically super easy except Spiral Abyss and probably the Chapter 1 boss fight. If you wanna main Lisa you can probably handle everything else in the game! She's definitely the weakest Catalyst user and probably only beats Amber in terms of trying to deal damage to enemies.

But like, she can still kill Oceanid birds and probably Ruin Guards pretty well! She's certainly got a very small niche, but she feels clunky to play and the math just says she has bad, bad stats. Also go away weird thirsty library mom.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Vargs posted:

Diluc could do 10x the damage he currently does and I would still throw him in the trash can. He has absolutely nothing interesting going on mechanically which is by far the most important thing for a carry that you spend most of your time on imo.

This is why I'm always on about Beidou. I used Traveller and Xiangling as my main dps for a while and it was very ho-hum. When I decided to main Beidou the game became way more fun because combat became far more engaging with the counterattack.

I've started trying out Bennet/Diona/Beidou/Klee as my party and having access to superconduct and the atk boost ult is fantastic. There's also a sort of magic that comes from unloading Klee's EVERYTHING and having the screen BECOME FIRE for a while.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh cool. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to buy everything or if I'd have to plan it with a spreadsheet.

e: For my Klee do I want ATK, ATK%, or Elemental Mastery? TBH I have no idea what Elemental Mastery is ie what it affects but my take is that elemental <--> fire and Klee throws fire so Elemental Mastery is good for Klee but I could be very wrong. Right now I have her with 2p Sojurner and 2p Beserker. The only thing that sucks is the flower artifact I use on her sucks (no ATK%) but there's no other good way for me to get the 2p Sojurner bonus without using it.

Flowers always main hp and feathers always main flat atk. Atk% as a substat isn't huge especially if you have 2-3 other artifacts with atk% main. The atk% stat is additive across all sources (including having 2 pyros in party), so an extra 13% or whatever isn't huge.

I'd generally rather have
crit%/crit dmg/ hp%/ flat atk as my substats.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Mr Snips posted:

I'm starting to regret putting resources into levelling up Chongyun. He helped me get through the first 2 team abyss floor since I didn't have a good B team dps option at the time, but now he's become a waste of a team slot since his attacks become an active hinderance to so many other characters and he doesn't seem do enough damage to offset that.

I mean games been out for less than 2 months. I want everyone at 90 with max talents and sick artifacts someday so dump into who is fun or good now. Its never a waste unless it's amber or Lisa!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well you see. It's a game, where all the units theyre pumping out are cute guys, rather than cute girls like every other gacha game that exists besides the one bara game with the dudes with gigantic packages.

Technically there are still more playable waifus than husbandos. I want someone who is Draff but has his clothes taken to anime extreme like Kaeya's. I'm talking cat ear dude with sweet facial hair.

Also no more tiny people my team has Klee and Diona now and it's just great when I'm walking in waist deep water and swap to Diona and suddenly I'm swimming and can't switch back.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

At least one more, I need full team so the fourth member doesn't look like kindergarten teacher.

Actually now I'm seeing that as the ideal team. Come along children, there are hillichurls to slay!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Whoreson Welles posted:

What the gently caress is with everyone’s roster? Is my luck that poo poo?

Nah dude, I pulled Klee from the character banner and Wolf's Gravestone off the standard banner and just a handful of other 4*s, almost always on pity. My luck has been half decent this week with a Bediou-3-star-Diona-Diona streak.

This banner is so mean because I still don't have a Ningguang and I really want 2 more Beidous for C4 but I just keep getting cat bartenders.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

nessin posted:

How do domain rewards work in co-op, as does everyone get an option to claim the reward or just the host?

All resin related rewards give each player the option to spend their own resin to get their own rewards.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Ashenai posted:

You don't have to spend resin to fight Andrius, just to collect the rewards (which the BP doesn't care about). You can do both.

Don't skip the rewards if you're AR40+, as you will need the talent materials he drops. At some point you will want to level a talent with one of those materials and one more chance at it is worth spending the 60 resin now.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

kater posted:

I have so many bow prototypes.

The game is the quests and exploration. Once those are done there is daily resin/commission that get you adventure xp but really the game is over and what remains is a skeleton that obsessed people can dance with.

Really it's two games in one. You have the quests and exploration game, and then the mobile gacha numbers go up game. They blur together a little bit here and there but are otherwise almost completely separate. The problem comes when people want more of the first, and it's hard to identify that that game is over because the other half of the game is still there.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

UltraRed posted:

Is it possible to clear out the second shop without spending fragile resin? What if we're just starting today :ohdear:

Event goes til December 6 , you can do 4.5 clears per day which is like 200 space rocks. It's 110 for the crown + 384 for literally every book, I think. You have absolutely more than enough time, even with 180 resin for the weekly bosses.

Don't forget that battle pass completion doesn't require you to get the rewards! Pop leylines and kill flowers every day and just walk away from the lootblossom.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Mise posted:

Is there any preview of what's coming up hero-wise in the starglitter shop?

I'm on the fence about buying Bennet (don't have him yet) and seeing what the next one will be as I only have the exact 34 glitter.

My team consists of xinqui, beidou, fishl and xianling atm

If you don't have someone, buy them. If you pull them later that's a constellation but having another character means more options for team comps, which means more solutions for future content. Taking a guaranteed character is always the best option because the gacha is a fickle master. Pulled 2 Beidous and 3 dionas this banner. No ningguang :(

I don't really love Bennet because while his burst is super strong, his skill is boring and I always seem to end up outside the thumbs up circle.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Diona is very good, although her burst is a little hard to use because it's a damage/healing circle but it targets an enemy at range (whereas bennet's spawns under him).

If you hav a sacrifical bow she's even better because you are all but guaranteed ~24 seconds of shield uptime.

I kind of take the zen approach to the gacha. Don't stress about when your pity will hit or who is on the banner. Just whirlwind slam that wish button the second you get 160 primogems, no matter what, every time.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'd rather have a specific, guaranteed 4* that I know I want (and with no RNG) than 1/10th of a random 5* who I may or may not use.

The other argument is that 4* are so much more common than 5* that eventually you will C6 several people and then their wish just gives 5 star glitter. Those 7 wishes are most of a 4* pity anyway and count towards that next big hit.

I'm saying this having bought Bennet C1 off the shop and maybe having a little buyer's remorse. I need to do abyss 9+ to actually use him.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I can't stop confusing Ganyu and Albedo because I just watched Overlord and my brain has created an association that Albedo = waifu with horns and it will never break free.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

No Wave posted:

I use Diona for shields and she's really good. Diona is an extremely popular character atm because of how well she lines up with the 12th floor of the abyss.

She's a fantastic support because she checks so many boxes. Bow user, cryo, shield, stamina reduction, healing, bartender puns.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Diona's part of my main overworld squad and I love her, but she has the most awkward heal in the game.

Oh absolutely. I supplement that with Xingqiu's rain swords, they pop about 3.6k hp for me right now. Fiona's burst sucks to use for healing because it's an aoe that spawns at a projectile that is targeted at an enemy. Placement is a constant issue and I feel like it's a lot smaller than Bennet's thumbs up fun circle.

The real trick is to never need healing by maining Beidou and just shielding for 7k anytime something is about to hit you.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 8, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Magus42 posted:

And that's understating it a lot. Mob kills aren't worth 100xp

Don't forget that each party member gets the full xp. A 17xp hillichurl is actually 68xp split 4 ways. It's still not a lot but that's only 15 kills for a green book. Its not nothing but it's not a meaningful amount until you aggregate the whole party across days of play.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

:same:

I don’t play as much if there isn’t that extra reward.

Like I’ve been saying they need to have levels past 50 but the rewards can be kinda poo poo (other games do this ) to keep people playing.

Dauntless is a good example where you get coins that unlock cosmetics from previous battle passes. The rate used to be abysmal but their latest overhaul update made clearing the battle pass trivial (I popped back in to check out the update and maxed it in like 4 days).

I also enjoy the cycle of aggressive minmaxing time spent for battle pass completion followed by a week or two of just throwing resin wherever feels good. If I had to get extra BP levels I'd worry more about burnout.

This week is going to be awesome. New content, I'm on track to hit AR 50 with 3 characters and my wolf's gravestone ready to ascend. 3 mil mora, hopefully enough books and ore. I'm ready to throw some bigger numbers at abyss because I tried 9 again last night and got absolutely fuckin bodied by the 15 electro slimes in 9-1.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

No Wave posted:

What characters are you using?

My core team is Beidou as main dps, Xingqiu, Diona, and Klee. When doing abyss I split them and add in Bennet, Xiangling, Barbara, and either Fischl or Kayea.

It really sucks having the first floor be so aggressively electro when your big hitter is as well. I made it to 9-3 before but I had my B-team on first half and I got wrecked by the hatchling + geochurl combo. Once I get my main dps guys ascended I'm going to bring Fischl and Klee up.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So the meteor event was fun and a nice light bit of content.

This whole drat mountain update is absolutely incredible. If every major content update is has this kind of depth and quality I'm even further committed to playing this game forever. Might even start spending real money instead of just my Google surveybux.

Albedo seems kinda angsty, what with his line of I hope the Traveller will kill me if I flip out and destroy Mondstadt . Cool dude otherwise and he might replace Diona as my shield support if the damage from his flower thing is any good.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I once tried to help someone in vanilla wow who had talents that I could only describe as "assigned purely by RNG" and gear that was a hodgepodge of useless stats and the wrong armor types. That encounter instructed me that there are randos who play games without ever learning anything about its underlying systems, yet still persevere despite their numerical disadvantage. Bringing a character who is only capable of dealing hydro damage into a hydro domain doesn't surprise me one bit.

In other news, fun thing to do with Albedo's platform, turning Klee into a mortar! Stand up in your floating fort and drop bombs from long range! It's not at all effective because you can't aim for poo poo, but it is equal parts hilarious and adorable!

Additional side note: It really sucks that there's no flammable grass on Dragonspine. I get it because otherwise it would be too easy to warm yourself, but it's great for triggering Beidou's C4 and buffing her E.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Taikuri posted:

First time hearing Dragonspine combat music, I am reminded of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZLtrh1Pao&t=74s 1:14 if timestamp doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FckEqIo1Q&t=90s 1:30 if timestamp doesn't work

This game is just a chimera of all my favourite games.

There's definitely a moment of the exploration music that makes my brain go "Morrowind? Is that you, old buddy?"

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

homeless snail posted:

You get a free prototype from leveling the tree anyway

Yeah but that could still have been another crescent pike refinement level. If you're maining Xiangling it's a real hard sell to give up that extra damage.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

No Wave posted:

I have used one shard. 71% of my childe drops have been butt plugs.

All of those are buttplugs if you're brave enough.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

AParadox posted:

as far as I know cicin mage can't blink while stoned

She gonna have some really bloodshot eyes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
My Genshin Impact life summed up in a single event:

10 fates from the Stardust store. my pulls, 9 3* weapons, a 4* spear. yay

My wife's pulls: Jean, Sucrose, Xingqiu. Oh and a Bennett this morning off commission gems.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Like yeah Noelle and Xiangling are free. At C0. Constellations are good.

I've bought the 30 day gems twice now, but given that I have 8k gems saved for the next banner I technically haven't done more pulls than F2P get. I've pulled 3 5-stars (Klee, Albedo, Wolf's Gravestone) and I'm only missing 2 4-stars (I lack Razor and Ningguang). It's absurd to claim the banner isn't good for F2P because if you've been playing since launch you'd have like 250+ pulls F2P.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I agree with this. For 99 % of the people, having an artifact with a bad substat or two and few imperfect rolls is not a dealbreaker - the character will still perform great.

The 1 % is brain worms completionists who will either spend time (which is okay) or money (whales) for it.

Yeah artifacts are fine. You get viable gladiator/wanderer just by bossing, then when your team is fine on levels/weapons/ascensions you can try domains to optimize them. There has to be something to chase and perfect artifacts are a fine goal.

Now weekly boss drops for talents can go right the gently caress away. Just let me pick jeez.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

C6 Keqing alone is easily 5-10K, R5 Aquila is probably another 4 or 5K, unless it's been rate up.

That account probably cost 20K or more.

Napkin math says that on average a C6 non-rate up 5-star is something like 21-25k usd.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Pope Urbane II posted:

That's only if you're pulling for one specific c6 and the bricks include the other 5s. So getting all the 5s at c6 would be less than 25k × number of 5s.

NOT THAT THAT MAKES IT AFFORDABLE

Well yes but that's the average for pulling any given one to C6 and then stopping. Of course you're going to have a pile of other 5 stars and constellations but anyone with a C6 blue banner 5 star has spent five digits.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Nakar posted:

In theory, if you beat pity every time for an average of like 50 rolls per 5* and every single off-banner roll was Keqing, you would need 11 5* pulls for 6 Keqing constellations (assuming you rerolled for the first copy of her).

That would basically be a reasonable minimum of $1100 USD. That's the floor. It sounds unlikely, but I had a C5 Xiangling in my first 4 pulls so who the hell knows sometimes.

Okay but theoretically the odds of that happening is 1 in 13.88 million so we're gonna go with 20 grand for a C6 Keqing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

Tiny Pink Haro Seelie is my new best friend

More tea, Mister Pinkemfluffles? Dodoco, be polite, he is our guest, so he gets the last cookie.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
The pets seem to stay out until you dismiss them, so it's not really a big deal to swap the one time.

I bet once more pets are added they'll make them a dressing room feature.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Karia posted:

Beidou went RULES OF NATURE on a giant sea monster and then god was like 'drat GIRL' and zapped her with purple lightning and then she had a vision.

It's great because IIRC it's like part of her mythos that she killed a giant monster in one blow but she acts really coy when people ask her and never confirms it. But yeah, it's totally true.

Beidou is the best character in the game for every possible reason.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I got Beidou going for Xiao after like 20 F2P pulls. Her counter ability seemed really good in the trial but how much do I have to invest in her to have it be viable? Keeping in mind that I could give her a C1 with the freebie stuff later this month, though I'm also tempted to get Xinyan since she's the only character from the freebies I don't have.

Lvl 80/90 C4 Beidou is my main dps, with a lvl 90 wolf's gravestone and 4pc gladiator. Talents at 9/7+3/6. If you are consistently getting attacked and can fully charge Tidecaller then she is incredible. If you don't get hit her damage falls a little shy of say Razor.

Like in the fire domain with 2x Mitachurl 2x Fatui Agent, if the big axe idiot remembers to hit me, I kill mine before my wife's razor does 50% to hers. If he just staggers and wipes a slime in his axe we finish pretty close. I've got a bit of an edge due to 5-star weapon but still.

Beidou can work as main dps just because her numbers are pretty good and Tidecaller can do a LOT of heavy lifting (13k hits every 7 seconds is pretty okay if you are getting hit!). She also works as an electro booster like Fischl if you swap for counters and use her burst to get the extra electro hits on your autos. Her constellations barely matter (+3 Tidecaller is the best one, really) so C0 is totally usable.

Most importantly, her block and counter play style is incredibly fun. It never stops being satisfying to saunter into a pack of enemies and one shot them all with a 28k Tidecaller crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I succumed to waifu fever and blew my pity on Keqing because she's a teleporting ninja.

My new favorite thing is combining her teleport with the albedo-vator for maximum lazy climbing.

I need a good weapon for her, or at least a sacrifical sword so she can steal Xingqiu's Flute. Prototype Rancour seems bad given her tendency to do electro damage.