Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Playing on PS4 after an update not too long ago and am wandering Teyvat as though it were a surreal post apocalyptic game because a poo poo ton of things didn't load in properly.

It's all very weird.

I took a video clip for the purposes of submitting to Highlight Reel, so here's what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/ifu7tcfAflE

Took another one

https://youtu.be/2HpfyRUYagY

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Are polearm wielders rare in this game? My wife and I both started playing a month or so ago, we probably have between 16-20 characters between the two of us, we find polearms constantly, yet neither of us seem to have bumped into any spear folks?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

That said, nerf Geovishaps, they have way too many invincible animations and don't stagger enough.

I hate those god drat things more than anything else in this game so far, outside of weird gimmick challenge dungeon bullshit where like some Fatui pyro sniper constantly stuns you from the far edge of an electro plasma field you can't cross without your health dissolving and nothing you can do breaks his shield fast enough to kill him before you die or you run the clock out, not that I have a very specific trauma I'm venting right now or anything

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

A few questions for the big brains in the thread:

Is the floor for Crit Rate the same for all characters? Put another way, let's say you have Razor and Fischl each make 10 attacks. Without any gear or talents that specifically adjust Crit Rate, will they both crit the same number of times within those 10 attacks on average? If so, it seems like Crit Rate would heavily favor characters with faster attack speed (unless the slow weapons have a crit damage multiplier or something).

Are there any resources for figuring out and executing moves or combos specific to each character? My wife was on her account last night, and we randomly took a second look at Beidou's talent descriptions and figured out how good her shield/absorb/release technique can be. Lighting everyone on fire with Yanfei and then absorbing hits with Bei's electro shield to amp her counterattack + the boost that Debate Club and Overload give turned everything in a 15 ft radius into a nuclear testing site lol.

But there's something in Beidou's kit about timing the shield counterattack for some other effect, and I can't figure out what it means or how to do it, so I'm sure there must be a place where someone has advice on techniques? Anyway I'm very jelly that my wife has this violent alcoholic pirate waifu and I do not.

I got this white haired ice claymore exorcist kid in a wish the other day, and when I was goofing around to see how he played, I did his 4 or 5 hit normal combo and then his elemental skill and it flowed perfectly as a final move in the combo with no wind up or anything, which was cool, but there was also a pop up when I did it that looked like it may have been an achievement? I know it said the word "Combat" in it, but it was gone before I noticed what it was, and it never seemed to post in the achievements tabs and my PSN trophies don't have anything for it either afaik. Any clue as to what that was?

What makes Amber bad, long term? Is it that her elemental skill takes forever to apply pyro and no one ever seems to be near the doll when it goes off? That seems like it should be pretty easily fixable by Mihoyo?

What does the Friendship stat do?

Why did Mihoyo include tons of incidental and story dialogue for the protagonist and Paimon, but confine it all to an optional submenu? And then have protag just stand around mute for everything? Despite having the dialogue already recorded?? But then they do talk a little in random cutscenes, so they clearly aren't meant to better the 'silent protagonist type?

Is this the same Paimon from Hereditary?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Thank you so much for all the extremely helpful answers (especially that Beidou deep dive :getin:)

The Paimon question is basically a joke, as I knew it was the name of a demon from the Lesser Keys of Solomon, I was just kinda ribbing at the most recent pop cultural use of Paimon prior to Genshin Impact was in one of the grisliest and most traumatizing horror movies of the last decade, so I keep laughing at the idea of our chubby little emergency food cherub hanging out with us and porking out on pancakes some time after enacting a generations-long plot to have her agents destroy, possess, and murder an unsuspecting family in order to provide her a host body.

Anyway I just made this because I can't stop thinking about it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

John Lee posted:

I mean,

Further mad speculation:
Paimon is also supposedly especially loyal to Lucifer, and the main characters are canonically Aether and Lumine for the boy/girl respecively, and have an association with light. Plus, you know, that bit up there about Paimon having the minor ability to never drown, which is awfully suggestive given how the main character met her.

I love it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

xedo posted:

Fun detail! If, after the initial cutscene, you pause before walking to the first plot waymarker, paimon isn't technically I'm your party and the pause screen doesn't have her at all. Not sure why they programmed it that way, but paimon is not mandatory in the party.

That said, there's not a lot you can do if you walk around that cutscene flag/waymarker. You can't even trigger statues of the seven. I, ah, missed the waymarker and did a lot of wandering around in a busted game state my first day. Got some good science out of it.

I adore stumbling into weird poo poo like that

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

To add to others, this also currently unlocks new expressions under taking screenshot mode.

Oh! Good to know! I thought the photo options seemed a little anemic.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 21, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bought a Claymore Billet from the smith in Liyue. Should I make Whiteblind or Prototype Archaic?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I do have a Noelle I should probably use more, but apparently she already has a Whiteblind. I guess I could refine it up a level if I smith a WB? Only other claymore friends are Razor and Chongyun so far.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

On the topic of claymore users, I threw a 10 pull and got both Beidou and Eula :hehe:

No longer need to envy my wife constantly wrecking shop with Bei counterattacks, but now I have 5 claymore users and that's just a lot of big sword friends. Looked at Eula's talent tree and she looks like she could be a real Phys Dam monster with the right dial tweaking.

I'll grab the Archaic as well, thanks for the advice!

Oh, btw, what does it mean for a character to be 5 stars instead of 4? And what IS a genshin?

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 23, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I have wondered why they introduced Dendro immediately and then only ever had it come up with, like, 3 enemies in the whole game, 2 of which are just different sizes of slime. A Dendro archer that causes targeted binds and thorny terrain could he a lot of fun, or like, a mage that summons a tree that provides climbable cover and drops different buffing fruit based on what elements hit it, how cool would that be?

And I thought I must be misunderstanding some great thing that comes with the wet status or something because every Hydro character I've seen so far self applied it and then instantly gets frozen, vaporized, or electro stunned. Why would they design it like that? None of the Hydro powers I've come across seem so good that they required the downside of playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets loaded.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SirKibbles posted:

Remember COVID and the lack of money made them force the game out. Inuzuma was supposed to be in the base game and the rest of Liyue didn't come until a later patch. They got really lucky with this being a hit all things considered

Oh! That makes a ton of sense. I know basically nothing about this studio or the development of the game. This is the first gachapon-ish game I've ever even played. I picked it up a month ago cause it was free and sorta looked like Breath of the Wild.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Not directly related to your post entirely but I went back and looked at some BotW footage recently and my god the climbing in that game is much faster than this one.

But on the other hand nothing slows or hinders your ability to climb in this one aside from level geometry like building overhangs and stuff like that.

Turning in elemental greebles to their respective statues and getting enough stamina to constantly leap up the walls is so satisfying after only being able to climb ten feet before collapsing with exhaustion and plummeting back to the ground

What I really want is the ability to do some kind of air dash or speed boost while gliding, though. Or gimme a horse, I dunno. Let me move faster than a slow jog for longer than seven seconds at a time, Genshin!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I am new, and that changes things quite a bit 😅

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just hit AR 30 today and I tried the Plunging Challenge yesterday and ran out of time at the end because that loving electro cicin mage and fatui ninja guy would just shield or disappear, respectively, and the clock just ticked away from me as I uselessly flailed at them, which was pretty aggravating. I think some of that is on me, though, as I got extremely lost and had no idea where to find the challenge rooms, so I probably could have had an extra five minutes banked if I knew how to find where I was going. Is it supposed to be a maze or am I missing some very obvious signpost? It wouldn't be the first time.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Meiteron posted:

It's important to remember the engine is always there!

This game is fun enough and well designed enough that it honestly saddens me that it has to be a gacha, as the entire lootbox ethos at work in the industry right now is pretty disgusting to me, manipulative in general, and deleterious to the medium of videogames as a whole imo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I got the 4* bow Rust last night in a gacha roll and I can't tell if it's any good or not. It boosts non charged damage by like 40% but it also drops charged damage by 10%. Should I be using the regular attack on bow characters? I've mostly been trying for charged aimed shots.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So I'm nowhere remotely close to endgame, meaning my gear is all just as close to okay as I can manage, with 75% of my artifacts being unleveled blues, but I've been playing around with the Eula I lucked into and it seems like she dies SUPER fast despite being a solid hitter. I think she's level 40, pending me farming her ascension mats, but most of my gang is around there, with my Traveler at 60 and Kaeya at 50 due to some fortunate farming I'd done at lower levels.

Is it simply a factor of not giving her enough defense or HP through equipment? Or am I missing something, like maybe it's a psychological thing where her stagger resistance means I keep plowing away when I should be dodging away for a reposition?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

parametric transformer

I just got this and the description is so vague that I can't figure out what it's for

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

AweStriker posted:

When you use it, it will put a weird floaty thing in front of you. Interact with this thing and deposit a bunch of ordinary items into it. Then, attack it with lots of elements. (or lots of one element). You’ll get stuff that usually costs resin and then the transformer goes on cooldown for a week.

just did a few chambers Spiral Abyss for the first time last night and had 8 of those little artifact chests by the end, opened them all and it was all unimpressive blue stuff. did I just close my own dick in a drawer by not feeding them into whatever this object is

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Parametric transformer only eats plants and monster drops. I tend to give mine slime condensate or mitachurl horns.

what do they turn into?

quote:

I would put mint in there but my wife collects mint (she has over 5k)

this is very cute and I love it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

King of Bleh posted:

I wish they had chosen a less emphatic phrasing than having characters "move in," now it's going to feel like I've abducted a bunch of people into my secure dimensional compound to mine primogems like I'm some sort of cult leader.

Yeah so this is great actually. Get in my teapot commune, sinners. I'm your God now.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Xun posted:

This is why I play with CN voices :v: Not sure why English anime VAs go for that super unnatural high pitch style but goddamn do they try to put it in everything

The best English voices so far imo are Kaeya, Beidou, Amber, and Eula. Paimon's voice is terrible and every line she says makes me want to bully the poo poo out of her for being stupid as gently caress. I'm glad the game seems to recognize that I want to be mean to this inescapable flying goblin and frequently gives me the chance to tell her she is emergency food, or a pet, or just dumb and unlikable. It actually makes her more likable, somehow.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm honestly surprised at how funny this game can be sometimes, which is pretty incredible considering how badly humor tends to translate. Also, just realized my favorite voice is Barbara, who sounds like she doesn't know she's suicidally depressed, which is extremely funny to me given her sorta pop star characterization.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bussamove posted:

Barbara’s voice lines were changed drastically a few patches ago, she used to be really gung-ho and peppy. It was a baffling change.

I never heard the old one, but "idol nun on lithium" is something I've never encountered before, whereas "generic peppy pop girl gAnBaTtE♡☆☆~~" is ubiquitous and tired, so I'm into it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Would someone be kind enough to explain how damage is calculated? When I'm weighing various weapons and artifacts for a character, it all seems very abstract, because I don't know if a Phys Dam% boost is better or worse than an Atk% boost, that sort of thing.

Further questions:

- Does Atk% do anything for catalyst users? Does Phys Dam%?

- Does Energy Recharge make more energy refill orbs drop at once, or make them drop more often, or just refill more on the small amount that does drop?

- Do different weapon types react to these stats differently?

- Why is the camera movement (especially charged aiming) limited to such an insanely, horribly slow speed (on console at least) please god let me look up or down faster than a ground sloth

As for general goof around theorycrafting questions, do you think we'll get dendro characters once the dendro archon nation drops in, idk, 2023 or whatever? Just like 7 characters in a row who are all dendro and for some reason no one outside of that country gets dendro visions. Kinda wondering if Mihoyo will ever introduce characters who use a new weapon type as well, like axes or monk-style gauntlets and boots for punchy-kickies. And have you noticed that shields, as in the object a person holds in one hand to block weapon strikes, only exist for enemies? I don't think I've seen a single non-hilichurl entity hold a shield. Just thought that was strange and didn't know if any devs have given a reason for it.

also for real tho what the hell is a genshin

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

No Wave posted:

Dendro is supposed to come before sumeru. The current rumors say November but plans can change.

The standard damage formula is ATK * ( 1 + CR * CD ) * ( 1 + DMG% ).

so it looks like ATK is the king modifier, then, yeah? like if you have the chance to beef that, you'd always want that to be the priority over other things as it's the biggest static platform for everything else to multiply off of?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The formula should really be read:

Base ATK * (1+ATK%) * (1+CR*CD) * (1+DMG%)

and base ATK is just your character's attack stat from level + weapon attack.

Oooh okay, this makes more sense

gandlethorpe posted:

Ultimately, everything scales from ATK, but it depends on the ratio of ATK, CRIT, and DMG mods what stat is going to be best. Also, things that increase ATK by a certain % only apply to your base ATK (character + weapon). Additionally, stats are distributed in different amounts.

E.g. Say you have 1500 ATK (base of 600) and no +DMG% mods. We'll ignore CRIT for the sake of simplicity.

Equipping:
+50% ATK will boost you by 300 ATK
+50% DMG will boost you by the equivalent of 750 ATK

Generally, boosting low stats has a bigger effect than stats that are already high. Going from +0% to +50% DMG does actually boost your output by 50%, but going from +50% to +100% is only a +33% increase. This is especially true for CRIT, where returns are very high at low stats and diminish greatly at the high end.

This is great, thank you, and the text I bolded is SUPER useful to know and isn't something I recall ever being mentioned in-game

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Xun posted:

The translators loving translated the title drop :lmao:

its allogene

:lol::pseudo:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Those goddamn birds. The trick I use is to not care about how strong my ranged character is, but instead just use Beidou's burst and then hit them with piddly ineffective arrows that happen to be charged with the power that ended Haishan.

My wife and I both love how much Beidou gasses herself up with her callouts on that super

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is there a roadmap for what's coming down the line? Like, next country, new weapon types, new elements, what have you? Just curious, as this game is already huge and my brain is quaking at the thought that it's probably only a quarter finished.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm ready for new characters but I'm especially ready for a new region. There's only so many stories you can spin about CONTRACTS and FREEDOM before I'm hungry for something new.

Plus the art we've seen of Inazuma promises some nifty looking places.

I'm currently working through the Liyue main plot questline and just got up to the Jade Palace last night. I don't know how much of this is accidental vs how much was intentional game design (with the insane amount of attention to detail in this game, and the surprisingly serious story happening in the periphery about international diplomacy, back room power playing, the role of detached gods in a modernizing human world, and the gonzo implications of the entire game being built on a close read of heretical Gnostic anti-deist texts, I'm inclined to believe that MiHoYo has a lot of smart people at work who understand lingo like "ludonarrative resonance" and who are making a game they care about very much) but I've been laughing about how the main quests are like:

Monstadt, Land of Wind and Freedom posted:

Go run around and explore, jump off stuff and glide a bunch, get into big crazy fights with fantasy poo poo, go on a date with a witch, hang out with a bunch of fun, horny, chaos alcoholics. Everyone loves each other and would die to keep them safe.

Liyue, Land of Stone and Contract posted:

Tedious business negotiations, comparison shop, fetch quests to fulfill obnoxious contractual subclauses, hang out with sexless bureaucratic oligarchs you have no desire to be around (every quest character, every adepti, etc), but are nonetheless obligated to for a variety of complicated reasons having to do with contract law and money and diplomatic immunity. Everyone hates each other and would sell them into serfdom for a cheeseburger Hot Pocket.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Idle thought: Would you all like bonuses for specific, themed team comps, beyond the normal elemental resonance for doubling up/not doubling up on an element? I'm thinking stuff like an artifact 2/4 set bonus, but party-wide. Like you have 2 or 4 characters aligned with the Knights of Favonius (Jean, Kaeya, Lisa, Amber, Noelle, Traveler, etc) and it gives a "Freedom Vanguard" buff of some kind. Barbara and Rosaria for a "Battle Nun" 2 set perk. A full team of claymore users and you get a "Do You Even Lift" buff. Put Kaeya and Diluc on a team and get the "Holy poo poo Just gently caress Already" buff where switching between them generates burst energy or something.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

This game would be better with dual and triple and quadruple techs, yeah.

I hadn't even thought of it like that but God, yes, absolutely, why can't I Cross Slash or Delta

No Wave posted:

They could start by adding hydro resonance.

:iceburn:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I noticed a puzzle chest with submerged ice and fire elemental pillars near one of the beacon islands, so I think we'll probably be either lowering water levels or raising up some land masses.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lmao can you imagine if this game had used Breath of the Wild's weapon degradation system as well as its general elemental reaction and exploration mechanics? The salt would be loving unreal.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

yeah i like paimon now because they keep letting me tell her she's a greedy idiot that i keep around to eat, it is the same relationship i have with all of my dearest friends irl so they clearly knew what they were doing

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

wait, do shields literally just block all damage and let you facetank poo poo?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

I saw that one, managed it by using amber to drop baron bunny on it, got the ice one by dropping rosarias burst. Used kaeya to build a little ice bridge out to it.

Thanks, I'll try this with Amber, Kaeya, and maybe Eula if her burst is is spherical enough!

quote:

Someone said in relation to the hide and seek event that this them testing the matchmaking system. I think this event is the same: testing the vehicle system.

The hide n seek was cute and fun so that was a good idea on their part, but oh lordy yes please give me a way to get around quickly without just teleporting to the highest spot in the area and gliding down to where I wanna be. Gimme a little carriage I can upgrade to have weapons and a boat mode and an airship mode, absolutely, hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

kater posted:

I know it’s not much but I really like Jean’s outfit. I got her on the beginner banner and she was basically the main character as I played through the game and I was always put off by her ridiculous pants and how much the game shows off booty while exploring. Plus her normal animations feel like they match someone a lot more breezy than a friggin military officer.

Anyways it could have been more elaborate with va and animations and w/e but I don’t feel bad signing up for forever welkin and trading eight wishes for it.

What's weird about her pants?*

*beyond the weirdness of EVERYONE'S clothes in an anime fantasy gacha game