Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
have you got your nvidia 3000 series card yet
yeah i got it installed, suck it losers
i bought a couple and im reselling them on ebay (ban-me option)
no i havent got one yet
team red team red team red!
View Results

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

buglord posted:

of course friend this is what the thread is about :kiddo:

e: what happened to my thread title wtf

It got pho'k'ed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Phat number 7903 coming right up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the difference between bone broth and regular broth?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Let’s talk about phở baybee

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pho is good. that's, like, all the contribution i have.

oh, also, it's pronounced FFfffff-OH

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I will pronounce it as "foe" and nobody can stop me!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like soup

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like asians.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

One's made with bones

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Gotta have a good chili oil game.

just gonna leave this here https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

it's real good but also one of those 'victims of it's own success' stories because hipsters decided to make a trend out of what essentially amounted one culture's 'grandma's chicken soup' things and made it all weird.
Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, because, hell, it's good, right? But whenever you hear people just fawning over pho it just comes across eye-rollingly like coffee nerds in the 90's because they saw it on Friends or some poo poo.
Ok well anyway here's wonderwall.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

if you cook some chicken in water, that water is now chicken broth. if you cook down a bunch of bony chicken parts with some vegetables and herbs until the collagen breaks down into gelatin and the bones soften and release their minerals and flavors into the broth, you've got good chicken stock (likewise with cooking beef bones a very long time into beef stock). If instead of finishing the soup you just sell the stock to hipsters for $14 a cup it's bone broth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

One's made with bones

So it's stock?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think a lot of the confusion arises from the fact that beef is too expensive to actually put it in off-the-shelf beef stock, so the garbage you buy at the grocery store in a carton that says "beef stock" for $4 is mostly chicken stock, caramel color and flavor enhancer. But people still think of that as beef stock, so in order to sell actual beef stock to the idiot consumer it was necessary to make up a new term for it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its pretty good but I like to get extra &#, it never has enough

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You might say it’s ...

...phởnomenal :v:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thread is really pho-nin it now lol. :jerkbag:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Pho-ck off

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
it's a real good hangover meal

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I really liked the broth but the tripe was a bit much too stomach :dadjoke:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Finding a little place that does the best pho you've tasted and then coming back to it every week is a good part of life.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'm reminded of phở every time I listen to the song Psycho Killer by new wave band Talking Heads

It's a perfect rainy day food (extra tendon, extra noodles, extra large!) which is good as the PNW heads into winter.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I think a lot of the confusion arises from the fact that beef is too expensive to actually put it in off-the-shelf beef stock, so the garbage you buy at the grocery store in a carton that says "beef stock" for $4 is mostly chicken stock, caramel color and flavor enhancer. But people still think of that as beef stock, so in order to sell actual beef stock to the idiot consumer it was necessary to make up a new term for it.

This is literally not true.

Even the most common brand in the us, Swanson's, is actual beef stock made with mirepoix.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Pho-Q

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Mods I request a 6er for any and all phoking losers posting puns after this post

e: interestingly on the way to Popeyes this evening I saw a place called, kid you not, Pho 53 #2.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 18, 2020

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I had some microwave pho yesterday, and it was absolutely terrible. Just an awful pho cup.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

it's real good but also one of those 'victims of it's own success' stories because hipsters decided to make a trend out of what essentially amounted one culture's 'grandma's chicken soup' things and made it all weird.
Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, because, hell, it's good, right? But whenever you hear people just fawning over pho it just comes across eye-rollingly like coffee nerds in the 90's because they saw it on Friends or some poo poo.
Ok well anyway here's wonderwall.

Nah good soup is good because it actually takes time. It’s not hard per se to make at home but if you’re a fan of cooking YouTube channels you’ll see when stuff like stock comes up the comments are full of people making jokes about how their family tends to want dinner in an hour, not in a day. Good stock does take time but it is also something that can be made in larger batches quite well so it makes sense that restaurants that focus around making some really hearty broths attract a following as it’s something most people just don’t do at home.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I always get the house special which comes with everything in it. Servers usually look at my white rear end like I'm making a mistake. It's good soup.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Nah good soup is good because it actually takes time. It’s not hard per se to make at home but if you’re a fan of cooking YouTube channels you’ll see when stuff like stock comes up the comments are full of people making jokes about how their family tends to want dinner in an hour, not in a day. Good stock does take time but it is also something that can be made in larger batches quite well so it makes sense that restaurants that focus around making some really hearty broths attract a following as it’s something most people just don’t do at home.

I know how stock works.

Is not people flocking to one place or another based on today's hottest trending stock literally exactly what I was talking about?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
its that time of the week phockers

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

I know how stock works.

Is not people flocking to one place or another based on today's hottest trending stock literally exactly what I was talking about?

How is today's hottest trend tho? Pho was a popular thing when I was in college, which is now over a decade ago, and is still one of the few things I will actually bother going out to eat for because most other things I can do a better job without much effort at home.

You come across as the kind of guy who still yells about hipsters and their skinny jeans in 2020.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
pho is a slam dunk for me because it tastes great, doesnt veer away from my narrow range of food i'm willing to try, owns bones in the winter, and doesn't make me feel gross after eating it like fast food.

now lets eat pho while listening to Neutral Milk Hotel

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i married a half lao woman and was introduced to pho as a young man. we are now separated but i kept her families cuisine as my prize and cook pho at least once a month. if ever i were on death row (tho there is no death penalty in this country so it is unlikely to ever happen) my final meal would absolutely be deep fried spring rolls, a huge bowl of pho with all the fixins (minus hoisin), a can of coca-cola and a viet lager

i love southeast asian food so much ive attempted to learn viet a couple times in my life (from my exes family first, then on my own during covid quarantine) but i always struggle with the tones. the grammar and vocab is super simple but the tones is just alien to an anglo like me. ive gone back to learning french again as its more applicable and accessible here in canada, but id still love to go to southeast asia one day there and just eat everything

i <3 pho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pho sho