Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Stevie Lee posted:

if that dude has a jump shot it's over

He does! He's the best prospect on earth and I don't think it's all that close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MourningView posted:

He does! He's the best prospect on earth and I don't think it's all that close

He’s eligible to enter the draft next year right?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Papes posted:

"Player must be 19 years old during draft calender year, and at least one season has passed since graduation of high school."

He doesn't turn 18 until January 4.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Papes posted:

No year after. Next year's is a little bit down I think based on the bit I've seen of guys but lots of big guys who can shoot it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Those U19 games are being shown on YouTube. Wish there was commentary, though.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 5, 2021

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wembanyama has a 5/5 name too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1411856249927442435?s=19

One of the biggest withdrawals so far, had him in the late first/early second tier.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Joel Ayayi is a very interesting prospect.
He's a great shooter, he can move the ball on offense and make generally good decisions. He had almost no pressure at all as the 4th option on a really good team. But when he was the pnr ball handler he looked smooth.
At times he's an impressive defender, chases people off of screens like a greyhound.

Downsides, old for a prospect, thin, plus wingspan but not ++++, not a hyper athlete, doesn't have great side to side movement, seems to be easily shoved aside when multiple bodies are moving around. The poor athleticism stuff applies to a lot of his ballhandling/scoring stuff, would his nice flashes be easy snuff outs against NBA players?

I started watching him because I was watching some gonzaga for kispert/ suggs and he intrigued me. Seems like a good second round gamble, could be an end of rotation guy to start, or you could put him on a 2 way and hope he can get stronger and quicker in an NBA training program. It seems like prospects who you don't have to ask "But can he shoot" about should naturally get a bump up, since a lot of the time the answer will be "no"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is also an extremely good guard rebounder which I speaks to having generally good feel since you're right that the athleticism isn't anything special. Really good feel for knowing when to crash the offensive glass especially, if an NBA team would let him do it. Don't think he can ever be much more than a good third or fourth guard because he doesn't put any pressure on the rim but yeah he slots pretty cleanly into a NBA role as an off ball shooter who can do some secondary ball handling stuff in a pinch, make the right pass, and not gently caress up the defense. Not much upside but you can draft him and feel pretty confident that he knows what he's doing and can slot into a bench role pretty early.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 5, 2021

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This draft is going to produce the greatest group of secondary ballhandlers in draft history.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

This draft is going to produce the greatest group of secondary ballhandlers in draft history.

It owns. I'm glad people are starting to realize how valuable it is to have multiple ball handlers on a team and that they don't really take away from each other. Much like shooting, it is good to have lots of players with this skill.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

secondary ballhandlers would be a good gang tag

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He is also an extremely good guard rebounder

Oh yeah, good point, wasn't even thinking about that.

As for Kispert, I really appreciate how each of his shots have an almost completely static look, like they were from an old NBA arcade game. each variation stays the same no matter how many repetitions there are.

My questions about him, aside from the obvious athleticism/defense stuff are, can he attack closeouts enough to be respected with the ball in his hands, and can he improve his court vision/decision making. I've seen Joe Harris comps but he's miles away as a secondary ball handler, he really needs to improve when it comes to finding cutters and rollers.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 5, 2021

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
In five years there will be only secondary ballhandlers, a league of Denver Nuggetses.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

In five years there will be only secondary ballhandlers, a league of Denver Nuggetses.

The ball and player movement will be incredible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno that Kispert has a lot of off the dribble value but he is a pretty good passer within his role. I'm also not that worried about his defense. He definitely won't be good but I think you can get away with him as a 3/4 most of the time and not have it be a huge liability, he's big and generally knows what he's supposed to be doing. It's hard to really hunt guys who have legit wing size like that to the degree that they're ever completely unplayable especially when he can rebound well enough to play some 4

I will say the idea of him as a lottery pick doesn't really make sense to me, you can find shooters of basically the same level in the 2nd round

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 6, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hey people who pay too close attention to the draft tell me about Vrenz Bleijenbergh

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Dexo posted:

Hey people who pay too close attention to the draft tell me about Vrenz Bleijenbergh

Gesundheit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Super fun Belgian guy. 6'10" and an absolutely incredible passer and good ball handler for his size, but shot is kinda iffy and he's only like 180 pounds or something. I like him in the second round.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

Super fun Belgian guy. 6'10" and an absolutely incredible passer and good ball handler for his size, but shot is kinda iffy and he's only like 180 pounds or something. I like him in the second round.

Seems about right I've seen #rumors the Bulls are high on him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

The ball and player movement will be incredible.
The Three-Man Weave will become the hot new offense in the NBA as ancient becomes new.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Had a chance to watch Wembanyama today.

Jesus CHRIST

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Had a chance to watch Wembanyama today.

Jesus CHRIST

I watched that too he's so loving good lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cant wait for Bill Simmons to discover him and then have a podcast where he stops talking about the celtics long enough to mention how much of a UNICORN he is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

I watched that too he's so loving good lol

Like he didn't shoot well, but there were times where he just completely imposed his will, Argentina clearly game planned for him and on a bunch of plays it just didn't matter

Paul Zuvella posted:

I cant wait for Bill Simmons to discover him and then have a podcast where he stops talking about the celtics long enough to mention how much of a UNICORN he is

It'll just be him trying to pitch trades for the right to pick him

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 6, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Watching some more Bouknight and it's remarkable how easy it is for him to move while in a crouch, he can almost somersault with a live dribble. Great hip mobility and mobility in general. Although the crouch is always a worry for long term health. Haven't seen that sort of ease from a ball handler in a little while. Small though. Very small fellow

Other side of the coin is that he knows how great he is at handling the ball that he gets cocky and it gets knocked away.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 6, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just found out about Chet Holmgren, him and Wembanyama going first in back-to-back drafts would be very funny

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

morestuff posted:

I just found out about Chet Holmgren, him and Wembanyama going first in back-to-back drafts would be very funny

I keep finding ways in 2k to create hilarious teams with the Thunder picks that have those two at the 4 and 5 just murdering dudes. You can put some incredibly mediocre guys 1-3 if your two 7 footers can hit 3s, block, and run.

I really really hate that the Cavs probably could be a fringe playoff team in the east with any of the top 3-4 guys in this draft. I want to suck long enough to get some generational 7 footer.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Personally I like it when my team is good enough to win games

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TheGreyGhost posted:

I keep finding ways in 2k to create hilarious teams with the Thunder picks that have those two at the 4 and 5 just murdering dudes. You can put some incredibly mediocre guys 1-3 if your two 7 footers can hit 3s, block, and run.

I really really hate that the Cavs probably could be a fringe playoff team in the east with any of the top 3-4 guys in this draft. I want to suck long enough to get some generational 7 footer.

Nah man. Not even rookie Lebron could do that

One of sexland could be traded before the season, and probably will be by the deadline.
Love might get some good playing time in hopes of a trade rather than a buyout coming their way, but that's not going to be all season.
So think of it like
1. Jarret Allen 2. Larry Nance, those are your good starters, then you have taurean prince who's a rotation forward, garland who's a scorer but not a net positive player, okoro who's a good defender but also not a net positive player, a couple okay backup guards in dean wade and dotson. This team is not going to win poo poo. Draft bpa who isn't a scoring combo who doesn't pass and let it ride.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Personally I like it when my team is good enough to win games

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I am still reeling from coming to the conclusion that chet is actually good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dejan Bimble posted:

he can almost somersault with a live dribble

would this be a legal basketball move

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Poku at the three, call them the Triplet Towers

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

indigi posted:

would this be a legal basketball move
With enough
Lobbying you could get the somersault with the live dribble as you gather step on your way to the basket

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/caine_purnell/status/1412713903730040839?s=19

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd take him over Cade in this draft and Chet next year. Best prospect in the world IMO.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything to suggest either of these 2 unicorns will break apart? Sub 200 lbs is scary to me. Enticing for drat sure though. I'd still take Cade, only for that reason though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So who's the obvious dud in this year's lotto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

So who's the obvious dud in this year's lotto?

That's the beauty of this draft everyone in the lottery seems to have something that could be awesome and something that looks absolutely crippling