Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
You can even turn on legacy mode if you really want, that's literally old school combat but with the downside that past like... Idunno, 70 combat stats it deals way less damage than even a lazy EoC revolution bar.

I know some gimmick accounts have done a lot with legacy mode combat but it's so sloooow

e: also play ironman and easily avoid all mtx nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
what it comes down to is that rs3 combat numbers don't make sense when you've spent literally the majority of your life :ohdear: adjusted to the osrs big red hitsplat numbers

me like old thing gently caress new thing

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Goast posted:

what it comes down to is that rs3 combat numbers don't make sense when you've spent literally the majority of your life :ohdear: adjusted to the osrs big red hitsplat numbers

me like old thing gently caress new thing
personally i just dont understand the meta at all

in OSRS you just choose whichever attack style you want, then bring the equivalent stat boosting potion

meanwhile in RS3 you need the right equipment* and also have your hotbar set up optimally** and also have the right aura unlocked and im just sitting there like :downs:

*which is not the same as in OSRS and the overlap confuses me. i saw a guide where the "mid level" gear option was a bandos chestplate and my brain short circuited
**this is the biggest one. i dont know what most of these abilities do

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The combat hotbar is what made me bounce off RS3 and play OSRS instead as a person who hadn't played either until 2021.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Phigs posted:

The combat hotbar is what made me bounce off RS3 and play OSRS instead as a person who hadn't played either until 2021.

Thinking about it, Alex Horne playing OSRS would match his love of punishment

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

The money pouch and tool belt could be considered decent QoL for RS3 depending on who you ask. A lot of people don't want it in OSRS but there's no denying it does make life easier.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I don't like my game being difficult. Life is difficult enough, give me a money pouch and a toolbelt and easier to level skills. Give me a stack of combat dummies so I can just do that while chatting poo poo in the GE, instead of killing rock crabs for hours and hours or whatever I used to do back in the day. I mean gently caress most of my runescape experience in the day was fishing lobsters in catherby to sell to people so I could get stupid poo poo like a dark cav hat

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

DiscoWitch posted:

I don't like my game being difficult. Life is difficult enough, give me a money pouch and a toolbelt and easier to level skills. Give me a stack of combat dummies so I can just do that while chatting poo poo in the GE, instead of killing rock crabs for hours and hours or whatever I used to do back in the day. I mean gently caress most of my runescape experience in the day was fishing lobsters in catherby to sell to people so I could get stupid poo poo like a dark cav hat

okay, but... why not just play a different game at that point?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Niavmai posted:

They are playing the game they want. Why is that a problem to you?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Toshimo posted:

They are playing the game they want. Why is that a problem to you?

it's not, i'm asking if the core mechanics are an inherent problem, then why play it? please don't try to make it a "thing," it's a genuine question.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DiscoWitch posted:

This take is extremely fine. They have different games for a reason, and we can both play our slightly varied games for broken people

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

They're both bad games so what does it even matter

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Simsmagic posted:

They're both bad games so what does it even matter

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Also hi it's been a while since I cared about this lovely game I love. I'm back under a new name with a new account because my last one got banned for macroing after I quit in 2018. Thanks, bot farms. I hope you got more than just my arma staff and virtus set out of my account before it got caught

New name is "thegoatsi" and I'm not planning on getting members until I have all the non members requirements for priff. Pray for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you email and ask nicely they'll maybe give you the old account back.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Niavmai posted:

Ah thats easy, runescape still hit a bunch of buttons in my brain that I did enjoy for one, like the massive amounts of skills and things to unlock even if it was a pain doing so! and also at the time I didn't have other games to play. As a poor kid it was the closest to WoW etc I could afford at the time (taking into consideration not only the subscription but also the cost of a pc to run it when all we had was essentially an office pc or the school ones in the library), plus my friends and my cousin played it. Plus I did enjoy things in the game, castlewars was amazing fun, as was pest control and stuff

As an adult I like playing RS3 because with the easier grind I'm hitting levels I never did as a kid, and getting to explore a game where the story has progressed in ways I never expected. The easier QoL stuff in RS3 also makes it a lot more practical to play casually and it's fun for me. I never have to fish lobsters now I can just buy and sell a bond if I really want to get something nice

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Trying Theatre of Blood Entry on a world with like 900 people makes Bloat's locusts do some sick wall hacking

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Studio posted:

Trying Theatre of Blood Entry on a world with like 900 people makes Bloat's locusts do some sick wall hacking

Love to use the gilded alter worlds to do a spell book swap and forget to hop to another world before doing ToA

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

you know, runescape does satisfying progression better than any other game i know

there's something magical about going from "oh, mm, i dunno, do i really need ahrim's? its so expensive, and really, mystic is probably fine..." to "oh, it'll only cost 10mil to get that upgrade? sure, i can make that in a day or two easy."

especially because once you have the bigger upgrades things snowball further and you can make even better money

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, runescape does satisfying progression better than any other game i know

there's something magical about going from "oh, mm, i dunno, do i really need ahrim's? its so expensive, and really, mystic is probably fine..." to "oh, it'll only cost 10mil to get that upgrade? sure, i can make that in a day or two easy."

especially because once you have the bigger upgrades things snowball further and you can make even better money

I like how quests in the day would unlock small things that help you back in the day, like the Al Kharid Gate.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

• Running away from scorpions in the mines under Falador
  • Being scared of the desert in Al Kharid
  • Mining rune for the first time
  • The incredible fashion stylings of dragon plate legs, verac's brassard, black cavalier, and abyssal whip
  • Talking to strangers while killing guards in Varrock
  • Getting a mithril scimitar for the first time and being in awe of it
  • Catching sharks at the fishing guild for hours at a time
  • The excitement of logging in late at night and seeing that one of your friends from school is online too
  • Finally getting a rare drop after doing a boss by yourself

These are precious moments that make me feel like logging back into Runescape and absolutely ruining my goddamn life with this dumb game

PYF Runescape memories

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

A Passing Feeling posted:

PYF Runescape memories

Accidently saying my password in Varrock bank.

That one stung.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

14 yo me f2p mining coal in barb village while my friend types out parody lyrics to the buttrock we were listening to, working in begging other miners for coal drops and gp

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
a very nice player trying to give me a free mithril hatchet, only for me to demand a bronze one instead because i thought it was better

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
my cousin once misclicked on me in the wilderness because we had the shittiest internet and were looking for people to gank
he had a dpp and i ticked down to 0 while we both panicked

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't believe I'm playing Runescape again.

I accidentally deleted my chat box and I cannot figure out how to get it back?
Also why don't the items with green check marks clear from my Activity Tracker...

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
ya that aint real runescape, bub

take it back!!!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Sab669 posted:

I can't believe I'm playing Runescape again.

I accidentally deleted my chat box and I cannot figure out how to get it back?
Also why don't the items with green check marks clear from my Activity Tracker...

I think clicking on the Social category in the bottom right there (two dudes with hoods icons) and picking any of the chat icons will do it. You could also hit escape and hit Edit Layout then choose a layout to load from the drop-down; I think they just improved the New Player preset to be less rear end and that should also restore your chat box. The Edit Layout is powerful, though, once you know what works for you you can use it to customize things to your heart's desire. You may also be interested in the command that locks UI bits in place and makes them uncloseable--mine is Shift+L but I don't know if that's the default.

As for the activity tracker, it's a bit weird and unintuitive, but the stuff on there is really tracked categories of stuff; if you start a new quest it should replace the Pirate's Treasure thing, and if you get a new slayer task it should replace the Spiders thing. If you don't care about tracking either of those, you can customize what's on the activity tracker by going into Hero (compass icon in the bottom right) and then the Activity Tracker tab, then clicking on the trash can icon.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

shirunei posted:

ya that aint real runescape, bub

take it back!!!

Hey man, we don't Scape-shame here. I know OSRS is what more people play but RS3 is equally valid.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Hey man, we don't Scape-shame here.

I mean we could start.

It would probably get the thread moving faster, which is a plus.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

already posted this in the discord, but eeeeeeeyyyyy, I did it

all in all i made like 100mil doing this skill and it was super fast and low-effort, so, uh... its now my new favorite skill!! Fantastic skill, 10/10.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

already posted this in the discord, but eeeeeeeyyyyy, I did it

all in all i made like 100mil doing this skill and it was super fast and low-effort, so, uh... its now my new favorite skill!! Fantastic skill, 10/10.

Blackjacking? My Ironman is in need of a cash source and I don't mind thieving my way to riches.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That looks like Sorceress's Garden actually. I've always found it kind of fiddly but yeah, I'd imagine it's a lot easier than Blackjacking. Blackjacking is way too drat clicky.

Cash on ironman becomes less of a problem once you get to the point where you can high alch things. After that, there's a lot of monsters that drop addy/rune gears that you can high alch for income.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I just unlocked high alch the other day, but the slayer masters just won't give me the stuff that actually drops a bunch of rune med helms, and when they do the helms just don't drop :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I did sorceress's garden from 65 to 82 and it was insanely goddamn good, its 140k exp an hour*. After that I did a mix of pyramid plunder and vyres until 91, pyramid plunder until 93 or so, and then (once I'd gotten SotE done), a mix of elves and occasional pyramid plunder.

(*with the right timing you can do the entire summer garden in a single click, no MGS-skills required. ...there's a runelite plugin that makes this even easier by tracking the positions for you)

I got the final level with Sorceress' Garden juice I'd banked before, because it was the easiest place to get thieving exp in a free world area, for ease of telegrabbing my original untrimmed cooking cape.

You should never ever ever do blackjacking in 2022, unless you hate yourself and want a RSI. Yes, it's technically the theoretical fastest but it's so much clicking and so little profit.

Elves at 95 or so give you ~135k exp an hour, which is half the rate of ardougne knights or pyramid plunder, however...

Having the full rogue's outfit makes elves a money maker on par with vorkath. Except they require no gear and are completely mindless!!

TL;DR - if you use runelite, Menu-entry swapper + a PS4/Xbox controller with buttons mapped to Left Click/F-keys (for arceuss spellbook) is your best friend. If you use mobile, pyramid plunder is your best friend because it's stupidly fast and you have a chance at a sceptre, so it's also half-decent money wise.

edit: also, re: vyres/elves - bloodshard is like, 3 times the price of crystal shard, but 5 times the droprate. It's better to steal from vyres when, say, something like ToA has jacked up the price of bloodshards sky-high, and elves are better at all other times. The exp rates are otherwise pretty comparable IIRC.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 2, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Guess I'll learn how2PP because I could use the sceptres then. Ironman so the price of blood shards doesn't affect my calculus much :v:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Guess I'll learn how2PP because I could use the sceptres then. Ironman so the price of blood shards doesn't affect my calculus much :v:

agility pyramid is good money if you're super early game. pretty low reqs and decent gp/hr.

it's what i did before bstaves from varrock diary which i stopped doing the second slayer starting being remotely profitable.

e: also a tip for later, whenever you start grinding prayer, bank the d'hides to later craft and alch. i made like 4 mil that way which is still funding my kingdom.

Ceramics fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 2, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I vaguely recall Scimitars were favorable for... reasons? way way way back when I used to play. Is there still a general "best general weapon"? I've seen some things that are weak to Crushing and whatnot so I assume it's probably best to craft a Slashing, Stabbing and Crushing weapon and use what the monsters you fight are weak to?

Also I skimmed the wikia for 2h and it seems like it's the same exact damage as dual wield just different power attacks? So is it just like a matter of preference? And bust out a Shield if I feel like I need extra survivability at some point? I seem to recall back in the day it was only either sword'n'board or 2h, don't recall dual wield being a thing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Just joined the discord as "thegoatsea" and the clan chat as "thegoatsi" someone pls get me in this poo poo so I can harrass people to take me through the elite dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

I vaguely recall Scimitars were favorable for... reasons? way way way back when I used to play. Is there still a general "best general weapon"? I've seen some things that are weak to Crushing and whatnot so I assume it's probably best to craft a Slashing, Stabbing and Crushing weapon and use what the monsters you fight are weak to?

Also I skimmed the wikia for 2h and it seems like it's the same exact damage as dual wield just different power attacks? So is it just like a matter of preference? And bust out a Shield if I feel like I need extra survivability at some point? I seem to recall back in the day it was only either sword'n'board or 2h, don't recall dual wield being a thing.

Scimitars were best because they A looked badass and B attacked every 4 ticks as opposed to 5 ticks for a longsword, so you have 25% more opportunities to do damage even if the strength bonus may not be as high