Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Hooplah posted:

ironman is completely separate from hardcore, the two are independent. i agree hardcore is a very stupid idea when the game isn't balanced around it

also this thread is almost completely dead other than people asking to get in the guild so uhhh i wouldn't worry about "bothering"

Well that being said, do we have a OSRS clan? Even if almost everyone is usually absent, it'd be nice to see someone pop up. Otherwise some names to put on my friends list would be nice. If I end up being a nuisance, I'll gladly clam up if you're like busy dabbing on TzTok Jad or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thechosenone posted:

Well that being said, do we have a OSRS clan? Even if almost everyone is usually absent, it'd be nice to see someone pop up. Otherwise some names to put on my friends list would be nice. If I end up being a nuisance, I'll gladly clam up if you're like busy dabbing on TzTok Jad or whatnot.

Yes. It's active. Join the Discord.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how's the android client these days? i'd just check but it looks like it'll finish patching right after the heat death of the universe

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't use it for hardcore combat but if you want to tap some trees it's fine

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

As an android user, I completely agree. Anything requiring reaction time is not ideal, but anything casual is just fine.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah any high level combat seems like it'd be a pain. I managed to beat the khazard guys, but I was gussied up and had lotta food and potions. Anything that is meant to challenge people used to combat is probably gonna be too much for touch controls.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

thanks for the info all! I tried it out a couple minutes ago and I actually found it overly cumbersome for literally everything

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm still reading the OP but I already clicked the discord link so here's a post.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For someone who is somehow totally new to Runescape, would you recommend RS3 or OSRS? I am sometimes spoiled by modern MMO QoL features but I really don't know much about what to expect from either version of the game beyond "click thing and number go up."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I feel like at this point it's mostly whether you don't mind MTX ads in your game or not. RS3 is more convenient with more afk methods of training skills, easy teleports, more skills, occasional double xp events, more of the game world filled out, etc. OSRS is more deliberately retro, has a more unified aesthetic (IMO) and the combat system is a lot simpler.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I've played since the RuneScape Classic days, and stopped playing regularly a couple years back, but still log in occasionally.

My (increasingly outdated) impression is:

Reasons to play RS3
- Lots of content, more than you can experience if you played the game as a full time job for a year, in all likelihood.
- Proper combat system and diverse endgame boss content. Can't be understated, I think this has really become the general appeal of RS3 and the thing that most sets it apart from OSRS.
- More skills, some new higher production value quests, and generally a large variety of things to engage with across the game.
- Quality of life improvements everywhere and generally a faster leveling experience.

Reasons not to play RS3
- Player base is much smaller than OSRS, areas that are out of date are generally dead. Minigames in particular are super dead.
- Micro transactions are loving everywhere now, you literally cannot avoid seeing them. If you play an Ironman, you can at least avoid engaging directly with them, but they're present. People will say "just ignore them," but that's a bit like saying "just ignore the hair in your sandwich, eat around it and enjoy the good parts." Point is, the sandwich is ruined.
- Grinds are artificially inflated by time gates at times, in a game that is notoriously grindy. Daily and weekly content is everywhere that encourages you to log in regularly or miss out on progress toward completionist goals or just general rewards.

Reasons to play OSRS
- Significantly larger player base at the moment, with content updates coming out at pretty regular intervals. Lots of focus on seasonal and niche gameplay modes at the moment and the covid year slowed things down, but they're poised to crank out updates in the coming year as they've brought on a lot of new devs.
- Polling system that's generally considered to be a good thing - updates have to pass a 75% approval threshold to be implemented.
- Content that's unique to OSRS has been coming out the past few years (raids, new bosses, a whole continent, several dungeons, quests that diverge from the plot lines of their corresponding quests on RS3).
- Microtransactions are limited to membership bonds you can buy with cash and sell to other players in game for gold or vice versa.

Reasons not to play OSRS
- Incredibly toxic player community. Do not engage with most people in this game, they're generally some of the biggest jerks you'll meet. Stick to the clan chat and discord and you're fine.
- PVP is trash. The mechanics are more akin to being griefed in other games, but in this one, you lose most if not all of your items that you're carrying when you die. Have fun getting jumped on by 20 people while risking a spade trying to dig up a clue.
- Game mechanics are super old and incredibly grindy, with little room for improvement to experience rates allowed due to the polling system. New skills have been polled multiple times and failed because maxed players don't want to grind a new thing out for 200 hours. Endgame PVM content and "efficient" skilling revolves around giving yourself RSI while flicking prayers on and off or clicking on skilling plots every 0.6 seconds.

Generally speaking, Jagex is a poorly managed company and has been for years, and they make really boneheaded and avoidable development mistakes on a regular basis (look up the OSRS "drama calendar" for any given year).

Join the discord in the OP, our group of people that mostly don't even play RuneScape is arguably the best part of either game right now.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 3, 2021

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Soulhunter posted:

for a year
for literally the rest of your life.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Soulhunter posted:

- Grinds are artificially inflated by time gates at times, in a game that is notoriously grindy. Daily and weekly content is everywhere that encourages you to log in regularly or miss out on progress toward completionist goals or just general rewards..

Worth noting that they removed this for Shattered Hearts in a recent patch, you can grind out statues to your heart's content now. There are still time gates on stuff like Mazcab loot lockout and ports in general.

The point does stand, though, that there are a lot of things with really good you-don't-wanna-miss rewards that you can do daily/monthly/weekly. I only do a few of them myself (and miss out on a ton of stuff) because the full run of every daily is kinda tedious, but ymmv.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Soulhunter posted:

- Micro transactions are loving everywhere now, you literally cannot avoid seeing them. If you play an Ironman, you can at least avoid engaging directly with them, but they're present. People will say "just ignore them," but that's a bit like saying "just ignore the hair in your sandwich, eat around it and enjoy the good parts." Point is, the sandwich is ruined.

except in runescapes case and most f2p games. The sandwich wouldnt exist, or would stop existing if there wasn't hair in it. lmbo

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 4, 2021

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Despite the last few posts I've recently been trying to get into RS3 on my ipad. I also have OSRS and I have invested a lot of effort into getting access to my non-salted account.

Mostly posting so you know I'm here when I join the discord (though I'm candyleader over there)

It seems real neat and quite a nice thing to have running while I'm in the office, yes I started playing a little out of spite due to being sent back into the office and having to cancel my ffxiv sub as a result.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

except in runescapes case and most f2p games. The sandwich wouldnt exist, or would stop existing if there wasn't hair in it. lmbo

That's a popular misconception - Jagex's financial performance over time has always been strong on membership fees alone. As of 2019 OSRS has actually become the greater source of income for the company on a membership-heavy model versus RS3's MTX-heavy structure according to their financial statements. RS3's income from membership has remained stable over time, their MTX based income is fading.

MTX boosted profits in the short term, but it also hasn't led to any improved outcomes for either game. Staff was cut severely in the early 2010s shortly after EOC and OSRS launched and never really recovered (likely due to failed MMO projects like Transformers Universe, Stellar Dawn).

Since then, profits haven't really been reinvested. In recent years, at times dividend payouts have actually significantly exceeded profits as the cash coffers were looted by a series of owners (IVP, Hongtou, Macarthur, and Carlyle, since 2012).

There are signs that additional staff is being brought on currently with the interest of ramping up game development again, but the benefits haven't been realized as of yet.

Who knows what either game would look like if the company had bothered to invest more heavily in development and staff retention.

Long story short, if MTX didn't exist, Runescape would have continued to survive just fine on memberships alone. The big guys in charge simply wouldn't have been able to afford as many yachts and / or lawn tanks.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 4, 2021

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It's extremely important that they have the lawn tank to defend themselves from the EverQuest and Ultima Online devs.

e: Mobile RS3 is at least usable for just about everything but bossing! I've got quest cape and I did probably 2/3 of it on mobile, the only places it really suffers is precision/timing on stuff like defensive abilities and movement abilities. If you get a good Revolution++ bar set up to automatically ult/threshold for you you can easily do AFK slayer or mob grinding on it.

Also, RS3 Ironman is Cool & Good, and not just because you get to avoid MTX--compared to OSRS, there are a lot more iron-friendly training methods available for a bunch of skills. I mean, if your complaint with MTX is that the cosmetics from it look obnoxious, I guess you can't really avoid that, but at the same time so many of the actual items are also obnoxious that I think it's a wash.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 4, 2021

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

don't forget the pub they had custom built in their office https://twitter.com/jay_wilton/status/842769620834701312

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.

Simsmagic posted:

don't forget the pub they had custom built in their office https://twitter.com/jay_wilton/status/842769620834701312

That sign on the left is actively killing brain cells every time I look at it

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

So a friend got me to try RS3 again, I installed it once years ago but didn't really get into it much so I still have no idea what I'm doing! Joined the discord as Izome#7492 and there is only a very small probability that I am a robot!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Soulhunter posted:

Long story short, if MTX didn't exist, Runescape would have continued to survive just fine on memberships alone. The big guys in charge simply wouldn't have been able to afford as many yachts and / or lawn tanks.

Those are standard issue for games companies operating in the UK.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Soulhunter posted:

That's a popular misconception - Jagex's financial performance over time has always been strong on membership fees alone. As of 2019 OSRS has actually become the greater source of income for the company on a membership-heavy model versus RS3's MTX-heavy structure according to their financial statements. RS3's income from membership has remained stable over time, their MTX based income is fading.

MTX boosted profits in the short term, but it also hasn't led to any improved outcomes for either game. Staff was cut severely in the early 2010s shortly after EOC and OSRS launched and never really recovered (likely due to failed MMO projects like Transformers Universe, Stellar Dawn).

Since then, profits haven't really been reinvested. In recent years, at times dividend payouts have actually significantly exceeded profits as the cash coffers were looted by a series of owners (IVP, Hongtou, Macarthur, and Carlyle, since 2012).

There are signs that additional staff is being brought on currently with the interest of ramping up game development again, but the benefits haven't been realized as of yet.

Who knows what either game would look like if the company had bothered to invest more heavily in development and staff retention.

Do they have any debt that operating profit is not going to show. Also are they pulling an apple or an Amazon and making it so their taxes are very low? Or do they pay high taxes? What is their net profit that would also contain the effects of interest payments and taxes?

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Do they have any debt that operating profit is not going to show. Also are they pulling an apple or an Amazon and making it so their taxes are very low? Or do they pay high taxes? What is their net profit that would also contain the effects of interest payments and taxes?

All of their yearly income statements are publically available here to review if you want to indulge in the joy of flipping through accounting documents. I don't think there's anything fancy going on with their books from what I can make of it.

The docs of note are mostly from the period of time where the company exchanged hands from the Gowers to Insight Venture Partners, AKA Mark Gerhard's Amateur Investors Club (2010-2014, roughly).

IVP ran the company headfirst into the ground by investing in Transformers Universe and other ill-fated attempts at new IP creation. They also bled a bit when paying out the former owners as they resigned. This is the only point at which the company was truly going underwater, but cash flows would have dug them out just fine within a year or two between cutting staff from ~500 back to ~300, and the strength of ongoing subscriptions.

Just from the docs, MTX looks like it came about as a way of IVP quickly getting themselves out of the hole they dug, but cash flows based on subscriptions were still more than healthy at the time. They didn't "need" MTX to survive, but it was a quick and dirty way to pump up short term cash flows and dig out of a small and surmountable amount of debt so they could bail out ASAP, which they did.

Obviously the next owners to come along aren't going to toss MTX aside when it's a proven revenue stream, so we were stuck with it from there forward, and MTX continued to be sold as a "necessary" evil.

The next owners after Mark Gerhard's IVP tanked the company recognized that trying to develop new IPs is a lovely idea for this company, and they apparently went all-in on building the "core brand" of RuneScape and capitalizing on developing mobile apps / maximizing MTX potential in RS3. This stabilized the company and has resulted in significant yearly growth.

The most egregious dividend payout of note to me was on the 2020 doc (year end 2019), where dividends of £76m were paid out, £30m more than the net profits for the year, cutting into the cash on hand significantly. The two prior years also had significant dividend payouts nearly equivalent to the net profit for each year.

Clearly from current cash flows, the company isn't in danger anymore and hasn't been for a long time now. Surely that dividend money would be better put to use though by expanding the team back up from ~300 employees to ~400 to push additional content or train some new engine devs to help with applying gorilla glue to keep the 20 year old code together.

The subscriber base is far and away their primary source of income, they need to figure out what's going to draw old players back and appeal to new potential subscribers. New content and QOL updates will do that.

Notably, they also have a strong enough subscriber base that MTX definitively isn't "needed" anymore. The owners aren't going to say no to padding their wallets a bit more though, unless it threatens to compromise the subscriber numbers.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 6, 2021

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Thank you for coming to my TED talk on Tanking Investments: the Mark Gerhard Story.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm really sad that Transformers Universe died because driving around the hub area killing Terrorcons was fun, but the actual PVP moba-esque game that they advertised never seemed to be able to match players up and launch a game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GetDunked posted:

If you get a good Revolution++ bar set up to automatically ult/threshold for you you can easily do AFK slayer or mob grinding on it.

Ibblebibble posted:

RS3 is more convenient with more afk methods of training skills

tell me more

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Soulhunter posted:

they apparently went all-in on building the "core brand" of RuneScape

part of which was rescuing the main game from being called "RuneScape 3". even though the company itself no longer uses that designation, it has stuck and continues to cause confusion.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

So, quick overview of RS3 combat after Evolution of Combat (EoC) :eng101: (Apologies if you know all this already.)

Before, you just clicked an enemy and attacked them until one of you died--classic Runescape gameplay right there. You can still go back to this style of gameplay by switching combat to Legacy Mode, but I wouldn't recommend it--after a certain early point in your combat career it will do way less damage, and all endgame encounters are tuned around having EoC damage output and defensive thresholds.

EoC introduced abilities like you'd find in other MMO's and a resource called adrenaline, which builds up as you use weaker abilities and can be spent to activate stronger ones. There are abilities for all the main combat skills: Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, Magic. These have a number of effects, from damage over time to stuns to critical chance, and many of the best ones are unlocked through quests and drops. There are also different ones for dual-wielding weapons, using 2h weapons, a weapon and a shield, and so on. You drag them onto a hotbar and press keys to activate them--if you've played any MMO since, like, 2004, you should know the routine.

Fortunately, actually using the system isn't that hard--just use your best abilities whenever they're available, and use the next best when they're not. There's actually a system in place to do just this called Revolution--it will use all the abilities on your main hotbar from left to right if they're able to be used, taking into account cooldown, adrenaline, and weapon type. A typical Revolution bar for one style doesn't even need all the slots in the hotbar, meaning that you can use the same hotbar to have a (more or less) serviceable rotation for each combat style, including abilities from each kind of weapon (1h vs 2h vs 2x1h). You can even mix in some defensive abilities for sustain.

As an example, this is my full-auto melee hotbar I use for lazy slayer:

This includes unlockable abilities Tuska's Wrath, an ability that lets you (generally) insta-kill one slayer mob every 2 minutes, and Sacrifice, an ability that heals for a portion of its damage, or all of it if you kill a mob with it (this is far from a guaranteed thing though in a revolution bar, as you don't control when it goes off, it's just a bonus when it happens). It also has Hurricane, an ability that swings a two-handed melee weapon in a wide area around you--this helps deal lots of AoE damage to slayer mobs at once.

The wiki has examples of good bars for each combat style. Once you get more experienced in PvM, you might choose to have Revolution do just your basic abilities, and then manually trigger your ultimates/thresholds--nothing more annoying than Revolution popping a big damage boosting ultimate right before the boss does a big dodgeable mechanic. After that, you can get a little more efficiency and control by learning how to do full manual, but I'm pretty sure you can do nearly everything with Revolution.

tl;dr if you set this up the right way you can still just click mobs and wait for them to die just the same as before

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
setting up a bar for every weapon combo you have is very annoying and the worst part of the eoc :shrug:

it works well when you actually do need to be active and press poo poo though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ah, that's a good explanation, thanks. I never got far in nu-RS, mostly just loaded it up on my phone when I was laid up to take a gander at how it had all changed since I was back in high school 19 years ago or whatever. So, I knew Revolution existed but I probably skipped over what it said :v:

I have a fondness for game automation, official or otherwise, so it's cool to learn about how it works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I joined the Discord as MarcusSA#4028

Trying to decide which version to actually stick with.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
If you're not afraid of a huge amount of grinding, or you want a game that's a bit more streamlined and narrower in scope, or you want it to be like you remembered years ago, or you hate EoC, go with OSRS. (It also has a much larger playerbase and community of content creators, if that's your bag.)

If you're not afraid of a huge amount of grinding, but you want most of it to be endgame grinding with about 15 years of quality of life upgrades on top, or you want just eight shittons more stuff to do especially w/r/t bossing, or you care about The Lore, go with RS3.

You can try both on a single subscription, so if you don't end up liking one you can just try the other. They really are different games at this point, it's like the one is a bizarro-world version of the other.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GetDunked posted:

If you're not afraid of a huge amount of grinding, or you want a game that's a bit more streamlined and narrower in scope, or you want it to be like you remembered years ago, or you hate EoC, go with OSRS. (It also has a much larger playerbase and community of content creators, if that's your bag.)

If you're not afraid of a huge amount of grinding, but you want most of it to be endgame grinding with about 15 years of quality of life upgrades on top, or you want just eight shittons more stuff to do especially w/r/t bossing, or you care about The Lore, go with RS3.

You can try both on a single subscription, so if you don't end up liking one you can just try the other. They really are different games at this point, it's like the one is a bizarro-world version of the other.

Having tried both I think I like RS3 better. I've been playing both on my phone / ipad / computer and I think I like the shiny new graphics of the new one.

I still haven't decided on a subscription yet even though its pretty cheap ($7.99 I think). I'm gonna keep hopping between both and see what I really enjoy.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
bumping the thread to let people know about the golden partyhat. now you can do a bunch of grinding for a cosmetic metallic gold phat and live out your dreams from middle school

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remade an OSRS account the other week and got it to mid-30s & 40s on most f2p skills before thinking I should give RS3 a shot; and I do love the quality of life changes (like area looting) it has, but for whatever reason I bounced off it real hard otherwise. I think I felt overwhelmed by the spam of menus and systems the game tries to throw at you all at once.

Also I'll be joining the discord as SoapyTarantula#7274 soonish, and I'm definitely real even though the bot detector plugin for runelite says I'm only 63% real.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Can a Goonscaper give me a brief rundown of how decent/Not Decent(TM) all of the new PVM stuff and quest content has been over the last like, year or so I guess? I recall Araxxor briefly telling me about the Elder God Wars releases but I can't recall literally anything about whether or not they were actually fun.

Been getting the urge to click some stuff and see numbers go up lately but I've accidentally blown like 150m over the last year logging in, buying bonds, and then playing for a day then repeating that every three months so if I do it this time I want more of a plan.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Can't speak much for RS3, but OSRS has basically had no real significant updates most of the year, with everything in the last quarter delayed because they didn't want group ironman mode (which definitely won't conflict with any other content updates!!!) to overlap with Leagues.

List of OSRS stuff for the last year can be found here.

RS3 updates for the last year are here. Looks like pretty much Elder God Wars Dungeon and a couple quests, most of what I've dabbled in has been good.

There's also a stimulus check golden party hat giveaway going on with RS3 right now if you want to grind for a bit for a free ~450mil.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Elder God Wars is great, it's structured in such a way that you can participate and get some cool unique stuff even if you're not at the bleeding edge of PvM progression--like, Arch-Glacor may be one of the best "learn to PvM" bosses ever released, and is insanely lucrative, even if you're not doing its Telos-like killstreaking hard mode. RS3 also got its first skilling boss in the form of Croesus; you can be helpful in that even if you're just chopping wood or catching fish (and by fish, I mean deadly algae blooms from an ancient Zarosian fungal bioweapon).

I think it's been pretty well received in general, the initial drop rates for the new t95 chase items from the hard mode bosses got tuned up after being pretty low initially, stuff has good drop tables even outside the rare drops (especially for irons :swoon:), and we're very likely getting a fifth boss a la Nex/Telos.

Apart from that, this year also had Rex Matriarchs, which are a spiritual sequel to the Dagganoth Kings that are also pretty accessible, a new grip of ancient spells that buffed magic as a combat style significantly (quest reward), and a bunch of huge quest and plot stuff.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soulhunter posted:

There's also a stimulus check golden party hat giveaway going on with RS3 right now if you want to grind for a bit for a free ~450mil.

Endwalker plus yak trak and the only chance I'll ever have to get a party hat is killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exigent
Jan 2, 2015

Just started playin some RS3 after burning myself out training runecrafting on OSRS, joined the Discord too if someone could lemme in