Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I wear size 17 so "fashion" is right out the window. It's all about functionality and the local workwear place has their own brand and actually stocks a size 17 work shoe.

The only thing that sucks is that the heel is like 2 inches tall, so i end up hitting my head on (more) stuff.

gently caress me, that’s like 51 in euro numbers?

I’m 45 EU which is right where there’s still a decent selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

big dong wanter posted:

I just sat on myself for the second time this week and holy poo poo is it AGONY. goddamn why didnt my health class tell me this was going to happen when i got older

...that's a thing? :ohdear:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's harsh. Hopefully he went peacefully and without pain.

Edit: There was some talk recently about the Arecibo crash - there's pretty impressive footage out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WQIRvezzI

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 9, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So as some of you know, my wife is an expat. Residency where we live is dumb as gently caress, basically all non-Europeans are treated as lowest common denominator. First step in immigrating is called “temporary residency” which is granted for a couple of years at the time (I think the normal practice is 2, 4, 6) but due to a series of dumb stuff with expiring passports we’ve renewed three times in five years.

Renewing is always stressful, even if she more than qualifies. You always stress that you missed some documentation or deadline. Oh and there’s a 6+ month processing time. Oh and you can’t apply earlier than 3 months prior to expiration. Oh and if you’re in that no-mans-land between expiration and granting of new period, you can’t renter the country without special permission.
Oh and reapplying has a USD350 fee and requires a day trip to some godforsaken satellite office to have biometrics recorded.

Well, she was just granted four years, until December 2024, which hopefully becomes void as she should qualify for the next step, permanent residency, about a year before that.

This, mind you, is a young professional, 100% clean criminal record, owns property, I’m guessing upper 10% income for age group...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

It is mind boggling how artificially difficult immigration can be. A person wants to live in a place and contribute to society, why is it hard?

In fairness, we could have also gone for a green card scheme (we're under a spousal reunification scheme) but that would have required us to have a job lined up before moving (which proved difficult) and also wouldn't allow for longer periods of unemployment. The green card scheme is a bit less draconian.

That being said, it's hard because those in power (who are an extension of the voters) can't be overtly racist even if they'd kinda like to. So rules are put in place that'll hit the target group, and there's some collateral damage.

redgubbinz posted:

As with so many things, the cruelty is the point.

Many, if not all of the steps, have specifically been designed to raise the bar for no other reason that to make things more difficult.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My boy got a black pajamas (pants plus shirt, long sleeve) with yellow skeleton bones on it. So he looks like a little skeleton. Haha, very cute. Until it turns out that it’s a) glow in the dark and b) retains light much better than you’d expect and you’re woken up at four in the morning by a three foot tall phosphorescent moving skeleton. At least as good as three double shots of espresso, I’m telling’ ya.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

mrtrunks84 posted:

Random question out to the group. I currently have a 2016 Golf R and my last car was a 2004 GTI. I'm really looking for a new experience and want to get into the sport sedan market (two kiddos). I have recently fallen smitten by a couple cars and want to see if anyone had any opinions I can quickly ignore.

08-10 Lexus IS F - V8, reliable, should hold value; most exciting

Alfa Romeo Giulia - Supposedly one of the best driving sedans right now, non-reliable?; turbo 4 (eh); cheapest option used.

Genesis G70 - For the price maybe get into a 3.3T; not to excited with interior

B8.5/B9 S4 - Great interior; good motor; AWD; priciest option (Wife has a B9 a4 allroad which is pretty great)

What say you AI?

I have driven exactly none of those cars but the Giulia is loving beautiful.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I need a good christmas gift, $15-20 for 3 guys in my newly extended family and I'm out of ideas. Handyman, tool related would be best.

Check the AI:SS thread for tool ideas, it's the second post or so.

Modern measuring tapes are pretty rad. Long, wide and stiff

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Unrelated, I've managed to gently caress up hearing in my left ear. Got a little too aggressive in the shower (heh) and managed to shove a bunch of water down my ear-hole on that side, and now it's kinda numb, like it's stopped up, hurts a bit if there's an internal pressure change, like a burp or cough, and feels/sounds like I've got one of those compressible ear plugs in. Reeeeeeeaaaly hope I just bruised the eardrum, and it'll heal, rather than permanent damage. Really sucks for FPS games - can't tell which direction they're coming from. :ohdear:

Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor. (My dad was a veterinarian for four decades though.)
My guess is that you shoved a plug of earwax further in. Get yee to a GP and they’ll get it out, probably by flushing it with saline solution.
Then enjoy the mindfuck for the next hour or so; your brain has gotten used to the different frequency response and compensated in software, so you’ll be able to hear the grass grow.

bolind fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 14, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

Now I clean my ears regularly with one of those soft rubber/silicone ear wax removal loop tools. It’s weirdly satisfying.

Link to this wizardry?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Someone developed an inside-out rotary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e785YnDmq0

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Of course, nothing is absolutely 100% guaranteed to be safe, but I would absolutely I'd take my chances with a vaccine side effect over getting COVID any day of the week. No contest.

Precisely. Statistically speaking, the vaccine is many orders of magnitudes better than catching the rona.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumb question: is that 5 tons of gravel in the picture?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rdb posted:

Yes. Thats a load of indiana #5, it fills about 2/3 of the trailer if I were to level it out. Some of the more dense stuff takes up less volume. #73 is what I have been using for a top layer, its a mix of 1” rock down to dust and packs in real well. It takes up about half the trailer. #2 stone which is really big base layer stuff takes up more space.

Delivered its over $25 a ton, at the retail yard its $16.50-$18.70 a ton, at the quarry its $8.50-9.80 a ton. I burn about $20 in fuel each trip to the quarry so its still cheaper. Retail yard is closer and I probably burn half the fuel, but the price is double.

Oh, cool. Yeah, I know the type, it’s called stabilizing gravel around here. Very dense.

Do you need special licensing to run that setup?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rdb posted:

No. Fully loaded the truck and trailer are about 23,000lbs. If you go over 26k you need a cdl.

Shiat. Here you can only do 3500kg on a normal license. There's an intermediate level, though, before CDL, which allows for 7000kg.

fridge corn posted:

I have never ever had the need to "daily carry" a knife or whatever

I have a box cutter in my comically large coffee-cup-of-pens at work, and a Stanley style knife in my handy pants for around the house. I'd go insane without them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Well after 2 years of being berated and busting my arse all day, a shoulder bursitis and basically being lied to about my job, I got some good news today. Got to tell my current department to go sit on a dick for 6 months while I go off and play being a ranger for the forestry corporation here in South Aus!

Start early next year. Gonna be a great new adventure.

I don’t fully understand all those words, but I do understand that you’ve had a bit of a rough Q4 and I’m happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction for you. :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

For anyones who's interested. Day three of vaccine is minor cold symptoms, 1/10 headache, 5/10 joint pain, ~3 hour nap after 8 hours of work, and 30% mental exhaustion.

I have a three year old, sounds like it’ll make zero difference then. Cool! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So for real, I absolutely detest NYE gatherings where people count down to midnight in unison.

Like okay I get it, y'all can count. gently caress off.

Only good part of covid is I don't have to do that poo poo tonight.

What I hate the most about New Years is that on this single night you’re kinda forced to party. So first there’s giant drama about who parties with whom, and then you have to be all party party even if you’ve sat in your rear end for a week already and stuffed yourself silly.

Give me a normal party any other day of the year please.