Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Same except 500 days of posting in this thread whining about the same old poo poo in a game they don’t like. Only a real loser would do that! Lol

I keep popping in looking forward to the big ol patch, eventually. Then I can finally rest easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I’d be surprised if the first dlc isn’t getting Johnny out of your head permanently so they don’t have to pay Keanu $$$ for voice acting

Maybe they’ll take a really wack direction and make the dlc stand alone things where you play as someone else entirely

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ichabod Tane posted:

so they don’t have to pay Keanu $$$ for voice acting

Well the whole plan from the start years ago was the morgan blackhand expansion uses talent that will be much less expensive, obviously, duh, doy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So do you think it's a Corp behind SSI controlling Paralez or do you buy Johnny's theory that it's an AI pulling the strings?

The "blue eyes" thing does sound like people being run remotely since the doll's eyes also light up when they're being remote piloted.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The peralez questline was the best part of cyberpunk 2077 imo, it genuinely gave me the creeps. The inconclusive ending without any sense of closure is perfect

yeah. the voice actor for the wife really nails it in particular. that and the follow-on quest for sandra dorsett really make it clear that no one is safe

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

So do you think it's a Corp behind SSI controlling Paralez or do you buy Johnny's theory that it's an AI pulling the strings?

The "blue eyes" thing does sound like people being run remotely since the doll's eyes also light up when they're being remote piloted.

there's some mined game assets that suggest the blue-eyes character associated with the peralez quest is morgan blackhand. the ranting street preacher, who turns out to be correct about most things, says something about blue eyes being associated with the cabal or whatever. also, recall, you pick up a virus from interacting with sandra dorsett early on, who, if you do her later quest, was plugged in with night city corp mind control stuff. it's pretty clearly supposed to be some extra powerful, behind the scenes AI or other big bad that's so far beyond you that you're just getting hints of it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chaosapiant posted:

I'm glad the Peralez questline ended the way it did. It's creepy and eerie and having an actual coda to that quest would've dulled that "forces beyond your control" impact the quest had.

huh i guess i should've gone with my gut and shot em

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

necrobobsledder posted:

In a vaguely related respect Johnny's story is a variation of the John Rambo story. Both are obviously angry at society and are mistreated veterans, and while they have clearly different ideological bases they wind up doing more or less a lot of the same thing (well, in the book anyway, the movies are a different matter). Both are developed around the same post-Vietnam era of rebellion against our system and kind of happened in parallel. Rambo is also an rear end in a top hat but is essentially a loner that actually likes to kill people because he's now warped. I kind of wonder if CDPR had any intent to have similarities between their interpretation of Silverhand (there are certainly major differences from the source IP) and Rambo.

I have zero idea what will be considered the "canon" ending for 2077 because it's not 100% established that they will continue V's story in any way at all. They've stated before that V's part in the Peralez's questline is over, which can be interpreted all sorts of ways obviously.

I do think it would be cool to have various characters over time that all have various slices of the events in the game each adding new depth and insight similar to what each of the Cyberpunk endings do (essentially Corpo, Street Kid, Nomad if you think about it and the moral values each represents).
Yeah, when (if?) there's any kind of DLC or a sequel I hope they take the Half Life: Opposing Force approach and have you play as someone completely new. There could the odd reference to V on news broadcasts or from other NPCs, or you could maybe even stumble across the aftermath of one or two main plotline quests (that canonically definitely happened no matter what the player's choices). But they've built this cool big city and it would be good to do some different stories in it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
a v prequel,. where you play the intro montage, wouldn't be bad.

any story after the main quest / ending would probably feel pretty lame given the themes of the game. I don't know, maybe they could pull it off

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

huh i guess i should've gone with my gut and shot em

Shot who?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Of existing characters, there a few that seem situated so they could be the main character in a DLC. River and Panam in particular seem like they could be stand-alone characters. Kerry could, but it seems like Judy would be harder to run as a main character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

the peralez's

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

site posted:

the peralez's

The moral quandary when the wife asks you to keep the truth a secret from her husband is one of the better pieces of writing in the game, I think. All gray area, no clear right and wrong.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i must've missed a step after the club we went and talked to the cop's partner and then went back to the penthouse and was like, well i don't have solid proof but holt probably did it and that was it

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
what’s cool is that’s a classic noir story beat about morality and what’s “best” for individuals, families, and communities, combined with a “Cyber” twist about the nature of memory and personhood

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

site posted:

okay i must've missed a step after the club we went and talked to the cop's partner and then went back to the penthouse and was like, well i don't have solid proof but holt probably did it and that was it

Did you find the secret room and all the surveillance stuff?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just the video of the detective getting the body hauled out and the interrogation with the woman who said Holt hired them to trash the place. Guess I really did miss something. What really happened?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you find the secret room and all the surveillance stuff?

That's a later quest in the chain

site posted:

Just the video of the detective getting the body hauled out and the interrogation with the woman who said Holt hired them to trash the place. Guess I really did miss something. What really happened?

You haven't got to the thing they're talking about yet, it's another quest that comes later. But you can find more evidence linking Holt to the assassination, if you go in the room in the video you'll find the murder weapon, and if you manage to interrogate one of the gang members in the club I think they straight up tell you it was him

Funnily enough, I knew that second quest was coming because when you're in their apartment the first time, if you trigger your optical scanner, all of a sudden all the item of interest loupe icons appear floating in parts of the apartment you can't yet reach

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 24, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
AFAIK it doesn't matter what you tell them, they'll call you back for the second mission regardless.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

infernal machines posted:

That's a later quest in the chain

You haven't got to the thing they're talking about yet, it's another quest that comes later. But you can find more evidence linking Holt to the assassination, if you go in the room in the video you'll find the murder weapon, and if you manage to interrogate one of the gang members in the club I think they straight up tell you it was him

Funnily enough, I knew that second quest was coming because when you're in their apartment the first time, if you trigger your optical scanner, all of a sudden all the item of interest loupe icons appear floating in parts of the apartment you can't yet reach

Kiroshis really are the best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holt doesn't have a clear motive for removing Rhyne until you discover that Peralez is being groomed for a Manchurian Candidate mayorship and Rhyne was very popular. Not clear what Holt's angle on this is, but it seems clear he's going to lose to Peralez in a landslide.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure Holt's motive is implicitly removing Rhyne to run in his place, as his heir apparent, to be mayor himself.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 24, 2022

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Ichabod Tane posted:

I’d be surprised if the first dlc isn’t getting Johnny out of your head permanently so they don’t have to pay Keanu $$$ for voice acting

Maybe they’ll take a really wack direction and make the dlc stand alone things where you play as someone else entirely

Johnny is gone in every ending. Either gets erased by Arasaka, goes into Cyberspace where AI Alt may or may not immediately assimilate him or he leaves NC with V's body.

Considering how the game ends a new character would probably be the best way to go about DLCs. Maybe find V's corpse somewhere in the desert and go "LoL, that's the gonk who dreamed of making it big".

terrorist ambulance posted:

a v prequel,. where you play the intro montage, wouldn't be bad.

any story after the main quest / ending would probably feel pretty lame given the themes of the game. I don't know, maybe they could pull it off

More quality time with my BFF Jackie is just what the game "needs", especially when we know that within the next year he and V will be dead.

And any DLC after the endings will be some weird deus ex machina bullshit. Where Mr Blue Eyes gives you a pill and says "Thanks for the space heist. These magical nanobots I pulled out of my rear end will save you".

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 24, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

infernal machines posted:

I'm pretty sure Holt's motive is implicitly removing Rhyne to run in his place, as his heir apparent, to be mayor himself.

This was my understanding as well. Just a typical corrupt power hungry dude.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

More quality time with my BFF Jackie is just what the game "needs", especially when we know that within the next year he and V will be dead.

And any DLC after the endings will be some weird deus ex machina bullshit. Where Mr Blue Eyes gives you a pill and says "Thanks for the space heist. These magical nanobots I pulled out of my rear end will save you".

I didn't like Jackie and found him grating, so it would really suck if they brought him back.

And I wouldn't care if they deus ex machinaed V into surviving - I felt like a lot of the endings left that hanging as a possibility. Hell, Johnny could make a one-time appearance to say "Hey, I choked out some AIs with Alt and we found out your Soulkiller cancer can be quelled by snorting dried brains" or whatever.

Using the setting with a different character is probably a better approach, though.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Jackie is the best character in the game with the best voice acting. Cause he plays exactly the role that he is meant for.

Namely that of a starry eyed fool with a heart of gold, who dreams of making it out of the slums and becoming a NC legend. And when he finally gets a big job his gonk brain is too dazzled by the bright city lights to realize that he's in way over his head. And that the crew he's running with consists of a bunch of idiots with no real experience or credentials, cobbled together by a washed up ex-fixer who didn't do his homework.

And his story fits so well cause all the characters in the game also play pretend and act as if they were a big deal. Until reality sets in and more often than not they end up dead. Evelyn describes it perfectly in the prologue, when she says that everyone thinks they are in control. It's the main theme of the game and the only consistent trope from the beginning to the end.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 24, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hammerstein posted:

Jackie is the best character in the game with the best voice acting. Cause he plays exactly the role that he is meant for.

Namely that of a starry eyed fool with a heart of gold, who dreams of making it out of the slums and becoming a NC legend. And when he finally gets a big job his gonk brain is too dazzled by the bright city lights to realize that he's in way over his head. And that the crew he's running with consists of a bunch of idiots with no real experience or credentials, cobbled together by a washed up ex-fixer who didn't do his homework.

And his story fits so well cause all the characters in the game also play pretend and act as if they were a big deal. Until reality sets in and more often than not they end up dead. Evelyn described it perfectly in the prologue when she says that everyone thinks they are in control. It's the main theme of the game and the only consistent trope from the beginning to the end.

To be fair to Jackie, and V, the heist was planned and executed flawlessly. What went wrong was completely out of the hands of the characters involved.

The only thing I could say that might have made it better was having a contingency plan. But they knew this was a big-poo poo heist and had to have a do-or-die attitude to even begin to pull it off. Say what you will about Dex and the other characters that help you plan the heist, but they knew their poo poo and DID come up with a solid plan.

Not to mention V themselves dealing with Militech AND Maelstrom the same night. No matter how you play it, they get poo poo done and get what they need from both parties.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i know what you're saying, but he's an annoying kind of person. he's positioned as your best buddy who you are supposed to connect with as an entry point, but it doesn't work if you don't actually like him. dumb, insecure teddy bear with big, simple dreams. i get it. i don't have patience for those kind of characters, because their whole psyche can be understood in about 5 seconds.

it's clear from the start that he doesn't have what it takes and should probably just go home to work for his mother, or something. he doesn't have the intelligence to climb ladders but wants it because of unexamined materialism.

his motivation and flaw is clear. it isn't that he's badly written for what he is, but i never cared about him. being a vessel for the themes of the game doesn't make him a great character, it just makes him a functional one. for him to be a great character, you'd need to add a lot more development and turns against type along the way, but he dies before any of that happens.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 24, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Jackie DOES get a lot more sympathetic as a character after his death. Particular If you do the celebration his mom throws and examine his garage with Misty. It retroactively made his character deeper and I enjoyed that.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

To be fair to Jackie, and V, the heist was planned and executed flawlessly. What went wrong was completely out of the hands of the characters involved.

The only thing I could say that might have made it better was having a contingency plan. But they knew this was a big-poo poo heist and had to have a do-or-die attitude to even begin to pull it off. Say what you will about Dex and the other characters that help you plan the heist, but they knew their poo poo and DID come up with a solid plan.

Not to mention V themselves dealing with Militech AND Maelstrom the same night. No matter how you play it, they get poo poo done and get what they need from both parties.

The plan had a ton of flaws.

Dex didn't properly vet Evelyn and failed to realize that the Voodoo's are the faction behind her. And when he tried to find more info, he backed off at the first sign of resistance from Pacifica.

The whole heist had too many moving parts with zero backup contingencies. In the brain dance we see Yorinobu hang out with Adam Smasher, a NC legend, yet his presence is not even mentioned in the planning. At this point in the game, before V becomes an unstoppable killing machine, I would stay the gently caress away from a hotel where Smasher wanders around. They didn't even bother to track him or check the security log of the hotel to find out who else is inside the hotel.

And things don't go bad with the arrival of Saburo, but when T-bug, who initially seems like a pro, loses track of Yorinobu (V and Jackie should have rushed for the elevator at that moment) and briefly afterwards she gets her brain fried at the first contact with corpo level security, like so many of the random street hackers that we find dead in various locations.

The Maelstromers are a joke, bunch of borgs with lovely implants that don't even add to their combat abilities. And Meredith is just a low level Militech exec, scared of liquidation by the corp, cause she lost a couple of weapon crates and a bot. None of them are a big deal. As I said, all the characters in the game play pretend.

But all of it makes perfect sense: Dex is a has-been. Street Kid V and Vic warn us about him. Even the Maelstromers laugh when they learn that we work for Dex. Everyone, except for Jackie, T-Bug, Evelyn and Corpo/Nomad V know that the guy is no good. Which is why he hires 2 inexperienced street gonks, cause he can't get pros from the Afterlife after what happened in Pacifica. And then he bets everything on a moonshot to max his profits, cause he no longer has a reputation to lose.

To quote another goon from Discord:

quote:

With what the game tells us about Arasaka and the world in general, the idea that two hustlers from the streets that has spent the last few months stealing from drugged up danceclub patrons can just waltz in to this super secure complex (I would IMAGINE) and successfully steal the biggest most secret treasure around is just laughable

It’s the equivalent of...I dunno...a group of Dickensian pickpockets trying to break into Fort Knox

Not to mention the escape from a total lockdown is made in a jazzed up taxi? Are you kidding me?!

If you take the character's backgrounds and actions into account then The Heist and the prologue are written perfectly (except for the Smasher part, he deserved some additional lines), cause it fits the characters and the whole setting. To the whole original crew the plan looks great and they dream of what they will do with their new wealth and street cred. And none of them are willing to mention the cracks in the fabric. The only person who does not buy into it is Judy, when she says "I see walking, talking corpses.".

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 24, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hammerstein posted:

And his story fits so well cause all the characters in the game also play pretend and act as if they were a big deal. Until reality sets in and more often than not they end up dead. Evelyn described it perfectly in the prologue when she says that everyone thinks they are in control. It's the main theme of the game and the only consistent trope from the beginning to the end.

jack knew he was gonna die the whole time and went thru with it anyway

he fuckin knew, there's no way he didn't

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

jack knew he was gonna die the whole time and went thru with it anyway

he fuckin knew, there's no way he didn't

Not empyquoting

BTW hearing yall talk about Dream On like that warms my icy heart. <3

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It's also pretty clear Jackie isn't the brightest when during the Nomad start. Sure, just steal an iguana and 'gently caress the client'.

I think he's a great character, but yeah he's in way over his head.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Jackie was done super well compared to his initial showing at the cinematic trailer, and putting 90% of his and Vs shenanigans into a cutscene timeskip is a+ example of ”show, dont tell” writing by getting player up to speed without slowing down the story with useless gangbanging gigs.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Oh, and a closure to dream on getting put in at the very ending credits as a phonecall is another they-really-knew-where-to-put-it piece of storytelling. 9 out of 10 plot writers would either have ended the mystery by recealibg too mich at the initial ebd of the quest or had peralezes end up in a force-fed news report.

Oh; Also one of the valentinos at jackies funeral shows up in a completely unrelated side gig as a bouncer and you can speech check your way upstairs that way. Which is neat.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Valtonen posted:

Oh; Also one of the valentinos at jackies funeral shows up in a completely unrelated side gig as a bouncer and you can speech check your way upstairs that way. Which is neat.
He also shows up if you never had a funeral for Jackie and the dialogue is exactly the same as if you'd had the funeral.

Which was a little confusing for me going through the game the first time, since I didn't send his mom the body and never had a service for him. There's tons and tons of broken triggers like that. So much so that exploring the city early on can spoil you on later quests by triggering conversations that aren't supposed to happen yet.

Someone mentioned earlier that they went to that River farm before the quest starts and V mentions they've been there before...that also happens in every playthrough no matter what (and I think that's because you see the farm in an earlier quest related braindance).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
'hey I have been here before' says an overly exasperated V as she wobbles around shooting a gang of dudes as they ignore her, shooting each other in the face for 5 mins

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

TheAgent posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that they went to that River farm before the quest starts and V mentions they've been there before...that also happens in every playthrough no matter what (and I think that's because you see the farm in an earlier quest related braindance).

I don't think that's true? At least I'm pretty sure that didn't happen to me at release? And it's not the case for this video either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BNlu9QDew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think that's true? At least I'm pretty sure that didn't happen to me at release? And it's not the case for this video either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BNlu9QDew
It happened in mine and I was never out at the farm before. I also don't know if these were issues that have been fixed since I played at launch and never did another run through.