Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

Do Street Rat and Nomad have a lot of quest dialogue? It seems like I'm getting Corpo dialogue options in literally every quest conversation, which is definitely hecking cool

I have found frequent Nomad quest dialogue. Sometimes it appears to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Regina complemented me for not killing any of the cyberpsychos, so I guess at the very least there's that (I wouldn't have cared even if I did kill them just gimme the loot!).

I am firing at cyberpsychos indiscriminately and haven't killed a single one. I think I couldn't kill one if I tried.

This game has a lot of bugs (PS4 Pro). It reminds me of playing AAA PC games about 25 years ago, so I think maybe I have a higher tolerance; this level of jank used to be halfway normal (I mean, for those who lived through it, think about Daggerfall, yikes). Also I have taken the esteemed Mr. Flav's advice and not believed the hype, and that's helped. I'm not mad, I am enjoying the game tremendously and expect to play it again next-gen, but man, it feels like several balls were dropped, picked up, dropped again, and then thrown into a nearby wood chipper out of frustration.

My main complaint, aside from crashes every few hours and quests that bug, is how hard it is to see the road over the dashboard and hood of the cars. If V is that short, they should save a stack of the pants they're stealing from dead gangers and sit on them while driving.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Did they sneak push a patch or something? All my graphics settings reset, and then when I reset them things don't seem quite... right. Performance is ok, but I'm getting weird pop in that I wasn't before

My graphics (and y-axis inversion :argh: ) reset after two out of every three crashes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Maybe you have to shoot her and then loot the dress

game has elements of a loot-her shoot-her

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fadam posted:

Is female V's real name Elaine Pagles? That's what Delamain called me and my guy didn't react to it at all.

Elaine Pagels wrote The Gnostic Gospels, which is about Gnosticism (i.e. sects privileging personal knowledge of the divine over whatever doctrine other Christian sects have lying around the house) and the early Christian church. It was also one of the books George Lucas had on his shelf when he was working on Star Wars movies, which makes sense given that the six good Star Warses are (in part) about the tension between what you are taught about how you should interact with the divine (the Force) and what you intuitively feel like you should be doing with it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I really enjoyed a long cyberpsycho fight in a building in the middle of a Delamain cab's circuit with Epistrophy still ongoing, because the cab called me every.single.time. it came into range again. Wait, not "enjoyed."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

I don't know if you guys noticed, but Panam has a custom walking animation where she takes smaller steps, extra quickly, with her legs together, for maximum rear end aesthetics.

Assthetics.

Also, Panam is well-written and -voiced, but is a pretty unpleasant person to me. It's cool if y'all are attracted to people who bristle at anything other than complete agreement with what they've just said, but I'll pass.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

just self-quoting to make sure everyone reads the enormous sign here

All the delivery drop boxes say DEVILERY. I assume it's intentional.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I guess it's great that somebody somewhere told me that double-tapping Draw Weapon will holster the weapon without opening the menu wheel, but I wish I had found out before Street Cred 50 was so far in the rear-view mirror.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Seriously though I think it is written that way intentionally. This isn't videogame logic or w.e., no, CDPR handed us a bunch of idiots because trying to pull a heist on the heir to Arasaka isn't something any smart people would have tried

It's very much Cohen Brothers: The Capitalist Dystopia

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The easiest fix for "why are fixers also selling cars" would be to create two legit car dealerships, and every vehicle is at least 10x the price the fixers want. Put an achievement on buying any one of them and see who does it.

I don't like the "every fixer's quests are gated by its own quests rather than street cred" idea because it doesn't make sense in a reputation-centric setting. Like any fixer is going say "hmm, Mr. . . . Smasher, is it? Never heard of you. I need you to kill some rats in the tavern cellar, and if you can handle that, I may have some more work for you down the road."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

a major plot point I didn't understand: why did Arasaka make Johnny's engram? why would they want the soul of their greatest enemy lying around? and why put it in the relic for that matter

"We shall test it . . . on Captain Solo."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I had a "fun" glitch when riding around with River, wherein the structure of V's character model must have changed or something, because turning V's head left and right instead caused it to turn and tilt, like a dog's head does when you talk to it through a cardboard tube. There was no way to turn V's head "straight" until I got out of the car.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

It made back its entire development cost in a week, and also they have stated multiple times what their DLC plans are likely to be

A big chunk of the money they made initially was also licensing, which is why you see Cyberpunk 2077 Baking Chocolate and Cyberpunk 2077 Clothespins.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"Whether they can get Keanu back" may be a question of the contract he signed. Marvel locked down actors for several movies. If he agreed to do DLC for Cyberpunk 2077, he will do DLC for Cyberpunk 2077.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

We're not even half way into January yet.

January is almost over if halfway is almost over, because we're almost halfway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I will never stop thinking of him as "fuckable meat guy."

"Smasher" is just Adam's merc name. His real last name is Jensen.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

It shouldn’t be understated how much better it plays on PS5 compared to PS4, official software upgrade or not. It totally feels like a different experience.

I am gathering that everyone's experience has been different. I've been playing it on the PS4 Pro while I wait for the PS5 to be generally available. It crashes about once a day, and there's obviously the more washed-out look and texture pop-in, but the really bizarre and game-breaking (aside from the daily crash) bugs have been really rare. I wouldn't recommend that somebody get it on the PS4 because it shouldn't be long before the game is demonstrably better on all platforms; the gains in looks and performance should easily outweigh the negative "want to play it" feelings. I don't regret paying full price for it, though--there really is a lot to enjoy in the game, even last-gen. The non-technical aspects of the game (e.g. writing, acting) are very good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jaete posted:

Mr Blue Eyes indeed seems like the Gaunter O'Dimm of '77, if he really is some AI avatar/ambassador, then maybe we'll get more info about what's happening beyond the blackwall. Personally hoping to see that & also how the AIs interact with the real world. I mean, Delamain kinda foreshadowed that a bit: robots and stuff are easy for them; but what about more human constructs? Such as Blue Eyes?

And, what's this, Johnny mentions about Alt spending some time building... the what now?

This article has an interesting bit of speculation about it. Now that I'm looking for it, I've seen the ring on a named guy in Konpecki Plaza's bar, if you pause to check it out instead of heading up to the room immediately.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Meredith Stout, likely middle management corpo, has a lie detector device that appears to be simple enough for a beefy guard to use.

You never get one. Takemura doesn't use one on you. Hanako doesn't use one on you. Saburo doesn't use one on Johnny. Stout doesn't even appear to have used it on Gilchrist.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'd just like to see item levels on guns gone. Either that or change upgrading so it doesn't count 1000's upon 1000's of components after like 4 item level upgrades.

Or leave them on, and put in a shop that lets you pay once every ~10 levels to bring your favorite clothes/weapons to a level-appropriate state and tier. Make it more expensive than crafting so crafting is worth it, but let people shoot the gun they enjoy the most, wear the clothes they like the most, et cetera. If levels stay on items, you might still change guns or clothes toward the end of the ~10 levels, and thereby see what more stuff looks like. Likewise, make a place where you can get stuff made from crafting specs, but for more than if you took the skill.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That's a good idea as well. I said earlier in the thread there should be a Gunsmith/Tailor in the stores, vendors that can use any recipe you found if you give them the parts for it and a small fee (that way you don't feel pressured into getting 18 Tech on everything), and that would also be a great function on them.

Totally. And it's totally the sort of thing fixers could hook you up with, too, to give you reasons to meet them in person. The gig economy should absolutely have given rise to people who can bling out "V's favorite shirt" from Act I if that's what you want.

On a somewhat related note, the fact that you quite likely start to dress like Johnny if you collect his pretty good quality gear is also a nod toward the relic doing its job. I was especially excited to get the gun, and they cleverly make you want it early. I think the relic/Johnny stuff was really well done and I think I am understanding the story in a different way on my second playthrough. The main story and its branching hit the sweet spot of having a shallow end of the pool for those who don't care much about Johnny and a deep end for those who get into his redemption arc (I especially liked that you can choose to have him apologize sincerely to Alt, beyond the apology that is built in, and somewhat make amends with Rogue). It's gonna be preem when the more technical aspects of the game near that level of attention.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really do love the game, I just wished it had the same amount of polish as the first act all the way through.

the amount of Polish stays pretty consistent

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

But CDPR didn't really show people why we really should care so much about these characters to those unfamiliar with the source IP.

I don't think this is true. I knew nothing about Cyberpunk the RPG before this game, but I did do all the quests related to Johnny, and paid attention to those details. Johnny Silverhand chose Dexter's "blaze of glory" option as a very selfish person 50 years ago. For reasons you're left to infer -- Johnny's becoming more like you and/or seeing that the blaze of glory didn't really leave the mark he wanted -- he is no longer so consumed with rage, and he walks it back a bit, trying to atone a little to Kerry, Rogue, Alt, and others. Even though the relic is overwriting your brain, Johnny the construct is still learning new information and is therefore able to change even as he changes you. I don't think you're expected to care about the rest of Samurai much, but I do think the game gives you ample basis to care about Johnny, and enough basis to feel pretty bad for Alt and Rogue. There's plenty of reason to NOT like him or care about him, but it's not for lack of info.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 was one of the most commercially successful RPGs in history - Over 200$ million (1.154 billion PLN) in profits for CD Projekt

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/regulatory-announcements/current-report-no-19-2021/

That's not what that says. It says their profit in 2020 was that amount. Prior development expenses (and any prior licensing revenues) aren't in that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cmdrk posted:

CDPR made a really beautiful world that was moderately fun to be a part of.

I feel like they can still build out large parts of that game world for expansion. Make the megatowers live up to their name and put a whole expack inside of one.

I mean, Dredd 2012 is right there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

im playing resident evil villa and the first person camera really works.
in this game for some reason everyone v is 5 shorter than everyone else

V's time in Night City is short

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

What is Star Wars without Jedi/Death Star/monomyth bullshit?

Star Wars is still an allegory of how democracy is vulnerable to authoritarianism (Republic > Empire), and how that authoritarianism, when projected globally, radicalizes people into terrorism (the Rebels). Or it was until the most recent trilogy, which really does just have what you see on the screen strung together by a marketing team with an unshakeable terror of doing something True Fans(tm) will dislike. The Witcher, or 3 at the least, is more a series of game-meditations on good and evil, what constitutes a "monster," family, and self-interest.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Here's actually a good 2 hour video on the monomyth bullshit of star wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2iOB8ydGo

tl;dr: Star Wars' story progression is a literal copy paste of Joseph Campbell's 17 stages of Hero's Journey.

you do realize that the movies are not the same as KOTOR 1 & 2 right

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

aside: man the food system in this game is bad. hundreds of identical junk items!

have you been in a convenience store IRL

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still maintain a decent "story-based" action RPG needs needs to branch off twice into two directions at some points in the first half of the game (once around the first quarter and again at half-time), leading to four complete different story lines in the second half. And not disclose that before release of the game, so that people rushing through it are like wtf.

However no one's gonna do that ever.

No one's gonna do that ever because that would mean making more than three games while only collecting money once. You will live your whole life never once seeing a "decent" story-based RPG because your definition of what makes one "decent" is really bad.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i hate to say this but, could be done as a subscription based thing with chapters instead of one game

After I typed that, it occurred to me that they could be sold as separate games. So, first big split toward the end of the first game, two separate games following that divergence to their own splits, and then four games finishing out those completely separate consequences. You'd have to work to make each game along the way accessible to people new to the series, but then, you've made that all into seven connected games, not one "decent" one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

They made art assets for like 50 different kinds of food and drink but they only do 2-3 things.

just like real life

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

i couldnt remember her character or voice in the game so i looked up and my main takeaway is holy poo poo, male v VA loving sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMK12fwIDTA

I didn't think her bit was great and on my setup sounded as though she recorded her lines in her bathroom. But I played both and think male V is fine. The actor's take on V is a little different from the female VA.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

most lawsuits conclude with a whimper, or a whimper and a settlement. very few go to trial.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I completely bounced off The Witcher 3 and I feel like a weirdo whenever I see all the praise heaped upon it. I'm sure it's a fine game, but I played it for a few hours years ago and then just stopped, never to touch it again :shrug:

I did the same with Witcher 2 but gave Witcher 3 more time. Geralt and the setting start out seeming pretty but unexceptional, especially if you never left the starting area. I would characterize the quality and atmosphere as pervasive; it was many many hours of gameplay before I hit anything that would have been good material for a trailer, but the sadness and fear and desperation of world had long hooked me in.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Imagine if this was a Daikatana thread and people got upset at people poo poo talking it. There's only so much you can do when talking about disastrous doodoo. Cyberpunk's abysmal failure and extreme backlash is an inextricable part of the conversation. The game itself is extraordinarily bland and forgettable, just like Daikatana, the context of its launch and the continued ineptitude by a dogshit company is now the overwhelming topic of discussion. This is Derek Smart poo poo, it's Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, etc. etc. it's more fun, revealing, and interesting to talk about the enormity of their failures than the actual products, because the products themselves are mediocre pap.

It's not "people getting upset at people poo poo talking it," it's an extremely online ownage treadmill, chock full of poo poo like your dumb post right here. You're not talking about the "enormity of the failure." You are simply parroting it with different, equally dumb words. I can't think of another game whose main storyline featured the slow replacement of the protagonist's identity with another; I think that's memorable and interesting. I don't care that you don't find it interesting, but you seem unhealthily invested in telling people they also shouldn't.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ichabod Tane posted:

hoenstly, the protag losing their identity is a common trope. here's an article about that, using other games as an example

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-09-how-video-game-heroes-struggle-with-their-identities

Good article about questioning identity, but not the same thing as slowly becoming a different, pre-existing person.

Sedisp posted:

As was pointed out ages ago this isn't even the first poorly received game that includes your head ghost bickering at you while trying to take over your body

What was the other game? Did the head ghost and the head host similarly converge? The game implies that becoming a "pure" AI changed Alt Cunningham n a different way than being an aggressive parasite changed Johnny.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

What do you expect from that miracle patch?

I am expecting better PS5 graphics, some bug fixes and UI work. I am expecting them to allow you to have whatever "look" you want from clothing you've collected while keeping good armor, because that will mean a hundred thousand new screenshots. I am expecting they will fine-tune some vehicle-related things, which may or may not be a big deal. Above all, I am expecting a bunch of new non-Johnny content thrown in to generate goodwill (and get people playing and talking about it again for a reason other than LOL CYBERSUX 2077).

These would be enough for me to do another playthrough. I saved a corp melee playthrough for last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Romanceable NPCs have set sexuality = developers telling the story they made
Romanceable NPCs are herosexual = developers letting players tell their own story

I don't feel great about declaring one "better" but I definitely prefer the latter