Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

By the way, for performance I've found that turning down some of the lighting, reflection and shadow quality settings offers a pretty marked improvement in frame rate on my end. I've got a pretty newish PC, RTX 2070 card, and when I first started it auto-detected everything to max settings basically as far as I could tell, ran pretty well, until I got to the scenes where you talk with Jackie at the ramen stand and Dex in his car. After tweaking those settings it's been running significantly better, like the game still appears to be a bit janky and have optimization issues, but that really did it for me as regards not making performance an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Please do not compare this insulting trash fire to the Deus Ex games which have consistently delivered actual cyberpunk rpg gameplay from the inception of their series.

The shooter portion of the game feels like straight out of DEHR if you ask me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

i like dxhr but this shits all over it in every way. its better than mankind divided too because theres more of it

I think I agree with the guy who said that Adam Jensen's a better protagonist though. Like V's alright I guess, but seems a little bland, which is often what seems to be the result when you have these open RPG protagonists. Like Jensen is kind of almost that but he's so gruff it almost feels like an affectation and it sort of loops around to being charming, so far in general I think I liked DEHR's characters and general art design better, but in that this game is alot more open and offers much more in the way of freedom, exploration and immersion I think it's probably a better game.

I also wish more video games did what Saints Row 2 and such did with the voiced protagonists and offer you ~3 pretty different options for both male and female, rather than have the one "fit-all" performance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just got to Act 1, now it gets interesting it seems like. I could probably have accepted giving up character customization if the game just let me be Keanu Reeves

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

The fact we can't change our character appereance mid game is legit undefensible

Ah, gently caress seriously? Not even your hair/beard and piercings, tattoos and (cosmetic) cyberware? That's really stupid.

Maybe there's a simple mod for it? Interaction with the mirror, anything.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, he looks really neat. Question, I haven't gotten far yet and not installed much cyberware, but seeing as you can't modify your character's appearance (this should have been it, Jesus) does getting stuff like cyber arms and legs at least alter your appearance? I guess you can't become a straight up monster like Smasher or the Maelstrom boys, but it'd be waste if you couldn't see your shiny new robo-arms.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone found any headgear that doesn’t actually cover your hair? Like a headset or headband or something?

I know you almost never see yourself (except in the inventory) but I don’t want to wear a hat... but I do want armor...

I mean, you'll probably still be fine even if your character is suboptimal when it comes to armor, don't be a slave to number. Aesthetics before statistics.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

cyberpunk reddit is loving angry about this game

Because of the actual pretty severe performance and stability issues it seems to have on many systems* or because of dumber reasons like how it seems alot of the internet hyped itself into the stratosphere with this game?

*I seem to have gotten pretty lucky there, then again I got a new computer back in February, so that's probably why.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Romes128 posted:

I just scrolled through and it looks like mostly last gen console players are mad. Which they have the right to be.

Yep. Shouldn't have been released on them in the first place if what I'm hearing second-hand through here is true. People who got in those platforms deserve to get their money back, and probably then a bit some.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ManBoyChef posted:

I have almost finished the tutorial. I want my character to be a silenced pistol using sneaking type character that is really good at hacking. Anyone got any tips for me?

I mean... just do exactly what you said? Hacking seems like it can get pretty powerful with a bunch of different effects and all that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

pc is not out of problems also, last night outside some ripper doc the game just ctd to desktop

at least the message to send my crash dump to cdpr was funny?

Yeah. Like a lot of this seems like it's due to extremely poor optimization right?

Like I mentioned I run it okay, after turning down some shadow/lighting/reflection settings, but still encounter a few frame rate drops (but nothing as dramatic as I had before the adjustments, I run across couple of minor graphical glitches that were solved with saving and loading, but no CTDs so far), and that's probably due to having pretty new hardware, maybe also that I have an Nvidia card? I'd guess that it being poorly optimized, it's going to be pretty selective what exactly it ends up running well on.

Bust Rodd posted:

Character Creator is more limited than I wanted. No fat characters is very stupid.

Yeah, I'd have honestly prefer to just have a choice between like 5 or 6 pre-designed, but distinctive-looking player characters instead of a mostly superficial character editor like what we got. Especially if that also came with the ability to modify those characters' appearance as you played the game.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 11, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Romes128 posted:

"You look like a cut of fuckable meat. Are you?"

Made me laugh considering the line comes from a giant robot man with no penis.

Cmon. You know that fucker has a goddamn pneumatic drill on his crotch with cybernetic sensory perception that feeds the pleasure-pain directly into his reptile brain.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm going to guess for me and you and others who don't know that guy, pointing out who he is is completely meaningless. And the people who know, probably noticed already.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Side mission guy for Pacifica is called Mr. Hands...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

Are their motorcycles? I want the Akira bike.

There are motorcycles. In fact I just had a pretty fun glitch with the one I have where I parked it, and a pedestrian walked into it and got loving launched into the air.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Saw a reddit post for this game that said "I accidently keep being hosed by men". I clicked it.

The guy talked about how fella outside a strip club asked if he wanted to dance. He said yes, assuming he'd be let inside to pick a lap dance. He said instead it cut to an unskippable scene of the guy loving him.

Cyberpunk as gently caress

Get the quote and shorten it. That's a new thread title IMO.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

poo poo that's perfect already.

Cyberpunk 2077 - I keep accidentally having sex with men

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Khanstant posted:

What? I've never heard anyone say this before and it never struck me as their intention in the slightest. They were just making a sequel to their games and character they based off of a different fantasy novel. Maybe Anjredwuizjksjsh Zerpjowksyki's books are meant to be a deconstruction of LOTR or something but that never came off in W3 (or 2 or 1 iirc, 1 maybe closest with the fantasy racism stuff?)

Witcher games never really bit on me but the impression I got from them most of all was that they're sort of a framework to bring in lots of re-imaginings of monsters and such from folklore and fairytales* (I was tempted to say "dark reimagining", but like traditonally fairytales actually are pretty drat dark by modern standards in their original forms) on top of a somewhat deconstructed medieval fantasy setting. Also what if there was a guy who just very matter of factedly hunted those monsters, like it's his normal day job. And what if that guy fucks?

*Like that's often what the individual monster quests and such feel like in the Witcher. Like retellings of fairy tales.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Currently really enjoying the cyber detective type stuff you do in many of the main story missions. I feel like a DLC down the line where you just play an actual detective netrunner or something investigating crimes using hacking and BD editing could work really well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

is this actually true?

I thought cut was normal, this is very disconcerting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

smoobles posted:

counterpoint: the game is good and fun. the side missions feel endless and each one is interesting so far. it's more like a long interactive film than a Rockstar sandbox game

You don't have to be so defensive. And the side missions he's referring to are no doubt those side gigs that pop up (and IMO overwhelm you, it's like a little too much and a bit too superficial at times, a bit too close to an ubisoft Open World...), that are basically all variations of "neutralize this guy in an area" and poo poo.

Like, I actually enjoy the game a whole lot, and am glad to be playing it, but if I'm being honest with what I see and what I've heard from others, it should not have been released yet. A lot of people who hyped themselves up over this are and are going to be pretty disappointed I think.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Have you got past the prologue? Because the actual side quests are unlocked then for the most part and are all very different than one another.

I'm pretty far into act 1, and yeah I've done actual side quests and those are good, but I still think all the side gigs, especially how they (to me) are so intrusive get to be a bit much, for something that's ultimately not very engaging and ultimately just represents grinding for xp and eurodollars.

Like when I'm talking about not being finished I'm not talking about adding content (beyond a barber/body shop to alter your appearance, because c'mon), but a polising finish to address bugs, performance, scrutinize design choice (B on the gamepad being both crouch and skip dialogue, superfluous minor incremental perks), improving pedestrian and traffic AI and spawning, and maybe even cutting down on some of the seemingly superfluous side content, or at least staggering the activation of it a bit more.

That's what I feel at least. And I'm saying that as someone who's very much enjoying and appreciating what the game has to offer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Samopsa posted:

act 1 is still the prologue, you'll know when you're done with it (keanu is introduced and the title card CYBERPUNK 2077 is shown on the screen)

Yeah I'm way past that. In which case I'm in act 2 then.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kaddish posted:

During Jackie's funeral, Momma Welles gave me the key to his bike. At least I think it was. How do I get it?

It's yours now, call it the same way you call your car.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In this case taking the best parts of Deus Ex and using that as a basis and GTA V....poo poo I'll take that any day of the week...and I think most people would too, but you can't sell a big game these days as more of the same, even if the same is awesome.

Not seein really seeing the specific GTA V bits, unless you're talking about it being in California. I'm getting way stronger GTA 4 vibes to be honest, especially from the driving, and the side gigs are probably most like the clear "out gang area" side jobs from Saints Row 2 and 3 when I think about it. Seriously though, the driving is kind of bad, in much the same way it was bad in GTA 4.

For the proper magic, they should have combined GTA open world (with not GTA 4 vehicle handling) with Deus Ex stealth and hacking, and Metal Gear Rising's beat-em-up swordfighting.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 11, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

^^^ Eh, that's a fantastic post if you ask me.

Firstborn posted:

Also, the driving is fantastic on motorcycles! Try it before you give up on driving! I'm honestly kinda used to the cars now. I treat it less like an RPG there and just steal a car and GTA to the mission, because the police don't matter at all. That may not be what you want to hear, but being less precious with cars that weren't mine kinda taught me how they want me to play this game, I guess?

It's a little bit better because it's more maneuvrable, but in no way is it fantastic. Also as far as I can tell I can't pop wheelies (though if I missed this, I want to know!). Just like making a good FPS, making a good and fun driving game is much more difficult than it sounds. Anyway I can accept that with this, kind of way, just like i accept that as shooter alone this game is very much like deus ex, just not very good and feels very slow and awkward, but it's all the supporting systems, character progression, atmosphere and setting which works to elevate it. Alot of games which attempt to do lots of mechanically different things at once often don't end up doing any of them very well individually.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That park that's to the suthwest of Corpo Plaza in the Glen is really neat.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here's a dumb question, how do you apply clothing mods?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

snoremac posted:

Can someone confirm/deny whether the driving controls are bad? Can't tell if it's the game or a delay on my wireless control but it seems like driving with any speed has me dinging into walls all the time.

If you've played GTA 4, vehicles handle in a way that's very reminiscent of that game, though vehicle physics overall are probably worse and alot more wonky than that game also. Traffic AI seems to either be really simplistic or it's all on preset rails. Bikes are "better" because they're smaller and more maneuvrable and a bit less prone to the problems cars have. I would still not say it's good, despite people saying it is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Night City has vending machines for guns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hey, bartender lady, I'm not sure if I feel sympathy for you feeling all bad for losing your last driver or something, you leaned out the window and started trying to murder the other racers with a machine-gun the moment we left that starting line.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Romes128 posted:

The Thing and famously the first Iron Man movie could be spoiled at the beginning if you knew Norwegian and Urdu respectively.

Honestly never felt like that one's a big deal. He just says "That's not a dog, it's some kind of thing", "it's just mimicing a dog" and "get away, idiots!", hardly spoiler material if you ask me, just an earlier kind of title drop, any kind of spoiler contained in it has already been given away by the movie's title and the fact that it's a horror movie, so something has to be wrong with something.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao I ventured into the cyberpunk subreddit and it's such an incredible shitshow right now. Reminds me of the battlefield 5 drama when it was revealed that women would be playable. Gamers really are the most whiny, entitled people on the internet.

Aren't most of the made ones people on last gen consoles who are mad that they were sold a game that runs extremely poorly on their system? Seems like they'd be right to be mad.

Though I'm having fun with this game, it is far from perfect, and I can see people who bought into the hype, both that created by people on the internet and by marketing, being let down by this.
That said no game is ever going to be a "life sim" and be good, and no game is ever going to have a super reactive story like Alpha Protocol without also being short and probably somewhat simple within the confines of that reactive story.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lol Arasaka, that's some preem rear end security you've got on your terrorist bombing memorial, when just about any sucker can guess the door code on one try.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Why are goons exaggerating the things people want? Nobody wants or expects a life sim. People are disappointed, and rightly so, that a game marketed as "style over substance" does not even have a barbershop or a way to change your looks once you finished the character creator. Remember all these trailers about the different clothing styles in Night city? Well of that means jack poo poo, since stats are tied to clothing. The witcher 3 was not a life sim and yet had more side activities in bumfuck villages than in Night City. There is literally nothing to do except quests. FNV is considered here to be the standard of RPGS, and this game has tons of side activities like cards and gambling.

I am not even going to speak about how dialogue choices are also extremely limited, moreso than that of the witcher 3.

Oh I'm mostly agreeing with you, I think some of the posts here going "lol reddit, haha, game good, gamers entitled" are really misrepresenting (or rather are projecting some kind of strawman onto) alot of real gripes that people have with this game, both in the mechanics and gameplay and the state it was released in.

Myself, I'm having fun with this and really like it, despite recognizing alot of fair criticism. But, I also literally was not following the marketing or hype for this game at all, I saw a trailer for it a couple of years ago, remembered the game again a few months back (I think it was around summer?) when the dick slider news broke (and yet the game doesn't even have sliders at all for character creation), and then forgot about it again until this week when I heard it was going to be released and decided to give it a go, as I was confident in my relatively new computer and hardware.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm 14 hours in and I honestly can't think of the character you're thinking of.

In terms of other trans characters though, while it hasn't come up in my game yet, based on some horrible Steam comments and the fact that when you win her truck it has big trans flag decals on the back, I think Claire, the chill bartender at Afterlife is supposed to be trans?

Dr. Fingers I'd guess. Though I'd say he's more "gay-coded" or generally "not straight" than specifically trans.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

On rails traffic "AI" in action on this off-ramp.

No video but you can see all the debris. Basically all the cars using that off-ramp drive into and just crush their through the barrier, making a bunch of noise and spraying parts and debris everywhere. It's behind the Arasaka tower memorial.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

blue squares posted:

What else would you do with them? Based on how they work the only possible use is in scripted setting

Could have at least allowed you to buy more of them to just watch I guess. Either from shops and dealers or in places like Lizzies. Like ~30 second clips. Why not?

Still think my idea of a standalone NCPD braindance detective DLC is pretty good, hope someone at CDPR has the same idea.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The equipment/loot system in this game is pretty stupid. Levelled equipment in general sucks. I'm finding epic quality dirty tank tops and common quality plaid shirts and guns that are better than the epic quality ones I picked up a couple levels back.

Like the actual thing would be to just remove the dumb levelling all together, and have poo poo like tank tops, jeans and plaid shirts be "common" and not offer much armor value, with the uncommon and rare and epic stuff being like high quality designer poo poo with clothing mod options and actual armor, like worn by cops and military, with epic being like one of a kind stuff with unique strengths and weaknesses.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Caught some ugly shadow rendering glitches here, but this is a nice overlook on the southern border between Rancho Coronado and the Badlands, where you can talk to the Rancho Coronado fixer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Anyone who compares this unfavorably to GTA V is a trash moron baby lmao. That was such utter vacuous poo poo compared to this it doesn't even compute.

Why does it have to be a contest? I really liked GTA V and I really like this. GTA V has far superior vehicle mechanics, traffic AI and an actual wanted system though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Spoiler for racing questline and a bit of follow up on trans representation in the game

bartender lady from the afterlife, who does the racing quest, is male-to-female it turns out

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm honestly relieved that what have become staples of the genre: inventory mangement, pointless %-upgrades, and cosmetic content, have been almost entirely abandoned in favor of making an actual game where I can play a role.

But this game has all of that?