Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Ok so brutally honest here, is it pointless to wait for a day when cyberpunk would closer resemble the ideal it should have been?

Because if 1.4/5 is indeed just another laundry list of inconsequential changes I might just start my playthrough now with a few mods so I can get this over with.

Yes.

Even if there was a reasonable chance of this happening, it would still be a bad idea. There are two data points for released games getting full overhauls to suddenly deliver on their promises: Final Fantasy 14 and No Man's Sky. Those are very long odds. And that isn't even taking into account the differences in culture around the developers and publishers in question.

I zeroed out my expectations over the past year and picked the game up at 50% off during the sale. I'm enjoying it. Coming off Yakuza 0, I can't help but compare the two. People go on about how great the city feels, but I'm not really catching it. It certainly LOOKS impressive, but the ramshackle way it is populated is constantly distracting. Yakuza of course reuses NPCs and the like, but it was never as distracting as CP2077 is. Kamurocho and Sotenbori feel alive in a way Night City doesn't. Even looking at the NPCs themselves, the filler NPCs feel out of place against how crisp the city itself looks. I can't explain why I feel like it's a problem in 2077 and not Yakuza though.

Of course, that's really my main criticism right now. I enjoy the gameplay well enough, and the fact that on a lark I tried to shoot a grenade out of the air with a revolver and got an achievement for it was uniquely satisfying. CP2077, to me, feels like an aggressively average game. It's entertaining enough that I don't think I wasted my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mikojan posted:

So basically the city is just a big combat arena? Goddamn thats depressing when you look at all the fantastic assets that are in it.

I mean, if I wanna get really reductive, sure? Most of what I do in the 'city' is go from encounter to encounter. I haven't really seen anything rewarding from taking the time to go explore nooks and crannies since the only things I've seen that might not be marked on the map from the start are the CP2077 equivalent of a random encounter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

The NPCs thing made me laugh thinking of a moment I had in CP2077 the other day. I walk past a guy standing by himself, and I hear him say something (presumably to me) like "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!". Then I keep heading down the street and not ten feet away there's the exact same guy sitting at an outdoor restaurant table with another guy and he goes "Dude, your eyes, you're so high!".

It was like a straight up glitch in the Matrix. The difference here being that I kind of love that, I love that the game is so janky and rough. It really does feel like a spiritual successor to Vampire: Bloodlines. And since we're never, ever getting a sequel to Bloodlines at least we can have this janky mess of a western FPS/CRPG.

It would have been a bit of brilliant wallpapering if V ever commented on it and it was written off as a side effect of the neural degradation. Is this a bug in the game, or is this a bug in your character? Also, I think that's kinda insulting to Bloodlines. If anything, CP2077 is Bloodlines' great-great-great inbred grandchild.

infernal machines posted:

The random encounters sometimes lead to additional higher level loot and in a lot of cases have some unique expository text via "archived conversations", but that's about it. I wandered into an area with an NCPD marker that turned out to be a human trafficking operation with a bunch of people being held in a shipping container. It had no bearing on the story, but it was an interesting encounter with a bunch of bits of NPC dialog and archived conversations about this one-off trafficking ring.

I still tend to go on foot between missions/gigs just to see what I run into in between and get a better sense of the city. If you're just going waypoint to waypoint you won't see a lot of that stuff, but it's not mechanically different than the rest of the game, it just expands on things.

Yeah, I've noticed this, but since I'm not a codex reader I almost never engage with that kind of content, so most of those encounters end up being "Local Murderhobo Tears Through Gang War Leaving Both Sides Dead" as far as I know. I know it's impractical to voice every one-off side quest, but I'm not afraid to blame the developer for painting themselves into a corner on that one. I think FarCry generally scratches the itch right when it comes to having engaging side content while drawing attention to the interesting bits. The human trafficking would be a one-off quest, while generic fights against human traffickers would be some kind of 'outpost assault.'

The fixers are perfect for that kind of repetitive "My client wants you to secure these shipping containers full of cybercocaine. Eliminate the opposition, then call me" stuff. The game already has this, in fact. I enjoyed "kill this sicko who makes abuse and rape BDs." When I say 'random encounters' I mean the blue assaults/cop fights/NCPD stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

yea i would bet they had originally intended at least one minigame, given that gwent was so popular among witcher fans that they were able to spin it off into its own game.

they couldn't have really done that with pachinko tho since that's already a game that exists and there are tons of video game versions of it out there. more likely would have been one of the other arcade games

I mean, a gambling den would be a fun one. You don't gotta reinvent the wheel each time. Again, comparing it to Yakuza, a loving dancing minigame would be GREAT considering how prominent night-life is in the cyberpunk genre.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

well you kind of have to reinvent the wheel if you want to package it and it sell it as its own game that you invented. i like the minigames in yakuza but i dont know how many people would pay for like just the karaoke as its own thing, and some of their other minigames are just licensed classic arcade games. gwent worked because it coincided with the rising popularity of "card battlers" while also being entirely tied in with the witcher ip.

a dancing minigame could have worked if thy did it right, maybe, it would really depend on the music. imo found it really disappointing that a game set in 2077, when music should have gone through all kinds of weird poo poo, has a major character who is a musician but he just makes boring ultrageneric guitar rock that might as well be from 1997. there's some decent stuff on the radio stations but other than that the "future of music" as portrayed in the game is pretty drat grim.

the berlin level of hitman3 is a better cyberpunk danceclub experience than anything in the cyberpunk game

Yeah, don't do that. Trying to find Cyberpunk-Gwent seems like a fool's errand, but I'm also probably not in the target audience for that type of game. I also think the music issue is just an issue with speculative fiction in general. Broadly speaking, we're not very capable when it comes to grasping just how weird and wild things can be after even 10 years. Trying to apply that to where an art will be... I mean, if they successfully emulated the future of music, that would become the present of music!

2house2fly posted:

Yakuza has some great minigames to be sure

I keep going back to it for my comparisons because it really just nailed the mixture of controls and presentation to make the minigames fun in a way other games don't. Like, bowling. GTA 4 made bowling a goddamn meme, but I honestly enjoyed playing full 10-frame bowling sessions in Yakuza 0. And IRL, I loving hate bowling. And for the handful of you who never played Yakuza, that gif is for a phone dating minigame where you rotate the right analog stick to charge shoot at moving phrases to try and get a date with a girl on the phone.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One thing I can praise is that the way the story sets up V and Johnny's relationship, the fact that Johnny and V are starting to see eye-to-eye and Johnny starting to respect her has a biting aftertaste where you're not sure if this is because of V's actions or if these actions are better ascribed to Johnny.

Robobot posted:

Well there's your problem.

Cyberpunk 2077: Well there's your problem

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Did CDPR 2077 do or say anything regarding the game’s 1 year birthday? I feel about as plugged into gaming media as anyone can be and while I saw a handful of retrospectives on YouTube I can’t say I saw anything about it from CDPR themselves, which feels really sad.

Then again, it would be weird to celebrate Cyberpunk, if only because of the absolute deluge of negativity that would result from anyone saying anything nice about the game, so that makes sense.

Judging from the kinda pathetic steam news posts, nothing worth talking about.

Honestly CDPR could post a few more mea culpas and self-flagellation pieces. I don't think it's unsalvageable because in spite of my opinion that FF14 and NMS are flukes, Cyberpunk could stand to be the third if CDPR wanted to try.

(That should not be construed as optimism or even a tacit endorsement that the chance CDPR does anything is non-zero.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Speaking of their year 1 bday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-10/a-year-on-from-cyberpunk-fiasco-cd-projekt-no-nearer-redemption

Sales expecations are now way down, from the expected 30 million units. Compare this to the Witcher series and especially W3, which kept selling well in the post release years, cause it was a strong game that delivered on every front. While Cyberpunk is a tarnished product that should never have been released in that state.

The only way to turn this around would be a complete rework which adds a ton of the promised features. And I doubt they are willing to put the manpower into a franchise which is underperforming that badly.

Self-fulfilling prophecy what now?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Robobot posted:

Just make a sequel every year while working on the next next Gen one like Ubisoft. No need to fix 2077 when you can just release 2097 or whatever and use all the same assets.

Someone get the board on the phone, I think I just solved the problem!

Unironically this. Hell, I still think they can salvage 2077 with a bit of spit and polish. The best thing that happened for me was sitting and stewing in a year of CP2077 sucks before buying it. Frankly, of the 51 hours I have in the game so far, I can't really say I haven't enjoyed them. I don't regret the purchase at $29 ($0.57/hr of enjoyment isn't a bad price) and while I'm sure I'll be hung up on 'what could have been' as I usually am with games.

Release 2087 in a couple of years, or made the No Man's Sky commitment to release a free 2078 DLC that offers significant revamps to the mechanics and maybe adds some minigames you can call up your NPC friends to play. I'd absolutely shoot pool/go bowling/go dancing with Judy or (comedy option) Takemura. I'd pay good money to see Takemura dance before he gets merked anyway.

chaosapiant posted:

Cyberpunk is an almost 50/50 split with original Deus Ex and Witcher 3. And I think it absolutely nails that. I’m on my third playthrough and still seeing and doing new poo poo and handling situations in different ways.

I vastly prefer a more linear narrative with some distractions along the way anyway. See also every time I bring up Yakuza as a point of comparison. I'm perfectly fine with the character creation being superficial. Mass Effect did literally the same thing and it was considered a classic until 3 poo poo the bed. :speculate:

So far CP2077 is only failing to providing distractions that are more than murderblendering the next gang members I see with zero consequence on my part.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

An unrelated stealth gripe, I've also found that bodies can be discovered by NPCs on entirely different floors and through walls, sometimes on the other side of a building. I'm not sure how that detection works exactly, but I think it's not supposed to work like that.

I think there's some logic the game does about whether an unhidden body can still be found, because I've noticed this too where I've left a body in a broom closet or something, and suddenly get a message that it was discovered. Add to my wishlists of 'things that could have been': differentiate lethal, non lethal, and stealth rewards better. I was thinking the other day how it would be cool to do a raid on a corporate lab, where if you're discovered they start trying to erase whatever they were doing and if you're fast enough to get to and kill the netrunner before they finish, you can still get the 'stealth' reward.

Verdugo posted:

Focus on the Tiger Claws, and have Kiryu as the Johnny stand in. Ditch V for Goro Majima.

One thing I don't like is there is so much garbage loot everywhere. 50 pairs of pants, 50 guns 50 shoes 50 hats.. all the same.

Johnny Silverhand has never killed anyone. Not the ten people he shot in the face. None of the people when he set off that nuke.

I wish there was a quick-loot button so I didn't have to run around the pile of bodies hammering F to get everything. I also wish I could tell the game to automatically break down anything of rare quality or lower. The only reason I'm looting stuff is to break it down into its component parts at this point. I played a tech crafter, so I have no reason to use the random borderlands loot because everything I craft is 1) better and 2) sells for more. It's all extra steps to get more crafting components.

I have single-handedly upended the Night City arms markets with mass produced smart sniper rifles.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thinking about it, it's probably just a random chance of detection every <x> number of seconds, per number of enemy NPCs in the area. It probably has nothing to do with sightlines, etc. outside of the area immediately visible to the player.

This was the first thing I thought of when asking myself how I'd design this as a low-weight afterthought.

I'm doing the mayoral quests right now, and I'm getting some big Altered Carbon vibes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, if you want to improve the life simulator aspect of it to near the level of GTA5 (which has tram rides) et al, you need this kind of poo poo implemented. Whether you personally like it or not. If some rando can do it with modding tools based on reverse engineered stuff, and do an acceptable job, so should CDPR be able to.

Of course, there's still that heavy weight of the previous gen consoles around their neck. They really should just rip off the band-aid and face the wind from the remaining users of these.

--edit:
Also, if it's implemented in the engine, you can use it for story purposes in CP2078, should that ever happen.

I'd much rather them spend time on the life sim aspect and supporting the modding community (which at this point is doing some really slick stuff I did not expect to see) than trying to make this work on a PS4/XBONE. That said...

Hammerstein posted:

I think with next-gen they meant making the game look like the PC version on a 3080, with full blown ray tracing and DLSS.

Honestly, I'm not that impressed. The city looks nice, but NPCs that aren't named story NPCs look like dog water, and that breaks me out of it constantly. For a 'next gen' game, honestly the graphics feel kinda disappointing. This is coming from one of those vaunted 3080-havers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s so funny to me that people so desperately wanted a slow, scenic counterpart to the fast travel system.
:goonsay:

Sometimes I wanna get there fast. Sometimes I want to sit back and enjoy a cab ride. People can want both things. Shocker, I know.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

V is literally not on anyone’s radar for basically the entire game, despite the premise of the game being that V wants to become a living legend and household name. It’s p funny.

I just finished up the Aldecaldos ending and I couldn't help but think Smasher should have been asking "Who the gently caress are you?" when V was talking about how Johnny always wins.

I'm pretty sure you've never actually met him in meatspace by the end. I only remember seeing him on the BD, and in the tower when you're hiding behind the TV. Like, I was wearing Johnny's shirt, tags, and using his gun, so Smasher probably could figure out something was up, but lol this random merc storms your base, dunks on you, then teabags you while talking about a guy who died 50 years ago.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

so one thing that's interesting is that when you and Jackie are hiding in the tower, Smasher a. shows up as an enemy on your HUD and b. looks right at you. I think he knows who you are and was just trying to terrify you/kill you later

Well that sure backfired.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels very dumb to admit, but the Next-Gen patch being just a new coat of paint would totally break me of any latent goodwill.

I’m on Team Cyberpunk. Paid full price at launch, 80 hour playthrough, over a hundred crashes to PS5 Home Screen, I loved this game for what it was, even as I lamented the thing it never got to be.

But if this PS5 patch doesn’t at minimum fox the broken perks and tweaks the systems so that everything just works then all the stars in the sky will have gone dark and I’ll know that God is dead.

I have bad news for you.

Honestly, as a PC player, should I even care about the "next gen" update? Tempered expectations tell me it can't be anything more than engine improvements (perks, game balance, and story don't cause FPS drops)...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The only bit of information about what this buzz word riddle marketing slogan actually does is that it supposedly makes it work better on next gen consoles.

So as a PC player, no.

Well, glad I'm pretty happy with the community megamod then. Now if only I could decide how do go about speccing for my New Game+ playthrough.

My first run I only got to 35 before rushing to the end because Rogue's storyline broke, so I only ever maxed out Tech and nearly maxed Intelligence, and I've grown so accustomed to walking through technical aptitude doors that I feel like I'll miss it if I spec out of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The real countdown timer is the point at which V can no longer afford their monthly health insurance premiums.

Kavros posted:

Victor: you don't have a lot of time. A couple weeks tops. So V, this is important. DON'T sit motionless outside stores for 24 hours straight waiting for their inventory to refresh. V listen to me,

V: [hits Skip Time button] Ő̶̟ḧ̵͉̹͕̀ ̵̳̱̠́͆f̴̖͖̃̃u̸̧̹̯̒͝c̶̣̦̬͠k̴͚̎̿ ̵͍̿n̸͍̄ŏ̵͚̪t̷͕́ ̷̛͎̘̈́g̶̟͎̒̍o̴̼̦̣̊o̸̻͕̲͋͊̔d̶̹́̕!!!

So what you're saying is that as the premier provider of smart rifles to Night City, I should be good, right?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Honestly I stuck the megamod in my game halfway through my first playthrough and it was a breath of fresh air. Subjectivity be damned, the changes work pretty good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Heroine88 posted:

There should be a disclaimer to this that you must enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 and not the ideas of Cyberpunk and 2077 separately :(

I want this too but I don't want to be hurt again. I feel like it will still feel like an empty shell of a city that's all flash and no substance.

Honestly, this is how I feel about the game overall. It's fun enough, but it's a wet fart of its genre.

Also, the flash isn't even that great when it comes to the random NPCs in the world. The crowds always seem SUPER low quality compared to everything else around them and it's jarring even on a 3080 with everything cranked to psycho.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Roshnak posted:

Probably almost everyone who plays Cyberpunk 2077 won't have heard any of the tabletop characters' stories before, either. Also, it's not like the Witcher games were focusing on brand new characters, and they were plenty interesting.

Yeah, that's my point. You just can't apply the logic of healing items in gameplay to the story most of the time.

I wish more games would go with a "Morale" approach to health instead of literally making hitpoints represent health for this reason. You can accomplish mostly the same things you do with hitpoints and preserve gameplay/story harmony if you just rename them "Willpower" or something.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"Rust in piss, shitbot" is a pretty good one liner.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bobcats posted:

New Person, Same Old Mistakes - Fixed an issue where the door to Bill's hot dog stand was still closed for some players on 2.01.

Hey, I just ran into this one. Gonna get that patch.

Fashion tax:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Reflexes + Cool + Tech has given me some interesting results from my chromed out street ninja. I was so stealthy in the .5 seconds I deleted everyone at this assault-in-progress that this poor fellar's body is still looking for me despite his head departing for parts unknown.

edit: Clearer picture of my man's headless chicken syndrome.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 26, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Beast in Me Santo Domingo is bugged. It'll give the victory to Luigi and Margot no matter how far ahead of them you get.

Cheating fucker's car wouldn't explode like everyone else's.

Was wondering about that. What kinda annoys me more is final race having plot armor. I'm rolling around in a bandlands dunefighter spitting a constant stream of lead out the front. Homes should be dead and I should be taking the prize.

NihilCredo posted:

Are there any missions where it actually matters whether you stay undetected? Miss out on optional objectives/quests/items/interactions, that kind of stuff.

Or are the consequences always a disappointed line from Regina at the most.

There are. They're here or there, but for the most part there's no difference between going loud or quiet. There is a difference, however, in going avoidant or confrontational--this game does not reward pacifist playthroughs and does not give you extra credit for being a sneaky ghost. Weigh the effort to go through killing everyone vs any lost XP, bounty, or loot.

This is part of what informed my choice to go full on ninja-blender this run, with stealth as my secondary approach for when there's a bonus tied to it only, or it is thematically appropriate and I feel like taking the time to actually Solid Snake a mission rather than hitting the sandy and going full Raiden.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Finished PL this evening. I enjoyed that a lot more than my first run of the base game. I think it hit all the right notes, and I loved Reed's character. The confrontation on the launch platform with V laying out all the sins with So Mi laying between them, culminating in a quick draw was very on-brand spy movie poo poo and basically a cheat code to my spy thriller lizard brain. Honestly did a lot to change my opinion from "fine game, buggy, with lots of missed opportunity" to "game I'd recommend without reservation." If they can produce more stuff with this quality, I'll be happy to keep spending money on it.

Shout out to my sleeper favorite Mr. Hands. Was pleasantly surprised with the characterization they gave him, as minimal as it was. They did a lot with a little there, and they really didn't need to.

orcane posted:

Is that still happening in 2.02? The time limit screwed over by enemies at the end of a car delivery thing? Because yeah that sucked.

The time limits are more forgiving now. Whether they're enough to consistently land the enemies as well I can't say.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is something I'm coming around to, actually. I don't know much about Cyberpunk The Tabletop lore, but the context clues suggest "solos" are jack-of-all-trades by necessity. Solos don't have the luxury of keeping to one style. Or, at least, the famous ones can't. You can probably survive on being "just" a nova-hot netrunner or such, but you'll eventually run up against something you can't hack your way around. That's when you want to be a decent gunslinger too.

If you try to stay in one lane, you either end up a nobody, or dead. Probably both.

That's my read, anyway.

Have some emotional terrorism. This exchange turns me into a blubbering wreck every time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bobcats posted:

Yeah I’d trade away half the chaff of the base game like side quests and criminal activity for another directed arc.

Seriously just churn one of those out once a year for five years

Epilogue with Alex at the bar was pretty good too. If this WAS a spy thriller, it would be sequel bait.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

It's sad that I don't know if gran-gran should be nicer or meaner to you considering Judy's other exs that we know about. You're almost certainly nicer to her, but you are a horrific, soulless killing machine that turns humans into red puddles of street cred, you're accused of killing a head of state and you've got weeks to live. I'm pretty sure if Judy ever honestly spoke with grandma, she'd be grounded until she's 80. Possibly longer.

I'm doing one of the post-PL gigs right now, and the client introduces a Spetznaz sniper with a hundred an some change confirmed kills. All I can think is, "That's adorable."

Fun fact, katanas beat sniper rifles. Quit sniping yourself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

If you find the guy and hit him 12 times with a katana he tends to cut it out

You should get a sharper katana.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

The camera is more valuable to them than a random gangoon

Thematic.

But yeah, shooting the camera is basically a body you can't hide, the crunchy sound makes a lot of noise... in the rare instances where I'm trying for total ghost mode, I tend to have better luck using Technical to turn off the camera when no one is looking that way.

edit: Also the Hellhoud is dope for anyone who doesn't like slidey cars. Sure, it's not fast, but its weight means you can floor it across the badlands off road and keep mostly in a straight line, it'll pretty much run over any other car on the road, and you've got missiles if things get really spicy.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 28, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I'm currently aiming for 20 Cool / 20 Reflex / 20 Tech / 9-15 Body with Intelligence as a dump stat (no deck, never liked smart weapons). Do the various stat checks support that gradual spread or should I endeavour to max one of them out first?

This is more or less how my build ended up, but I put 9 into Int to capitalize on the Tech perk. With gorilla arms, there's some Body checks I can't make, and I'm of course dumb as bricks around most things netrunning, but if you're not attached to being a novahot hacker I've not run into any problems.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

On the other hand: as a no-int no-thoughts only murder V, I don't think I've ever heard Johnny so disappointed as when she doesn't recognize who Rache Bartmoss is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

His load blew.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

christmas boots posted:

or they've seen you rummaging through garbage cans for half-eaten burritos for that "nourishment buff" and it was kind of a turn-off.

Another reason why Stardew Valley is peak gaming.

A Perfect Twist posted:

Judy is a cutie and so is V and I made them smoochy kiss.

Yes. I'm sketch about endings other than The Star because I don't want to make Judy sad or upset.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Judy has terrible taste in women so if she ends up with you, well, ponder this on the relationship of woe.

V, borderline cyberpsycho with six months to live: "I can fix her!"

Nuebot posted:

The flashback sequences kind of make me wish we had a game with that setting and combat that silly. Also that UI is way cooler.

You can get pretty close with a Cool build focusing on Revolvers, including getting Johnny's revolver if you do Rogue's side missions.

Arc Hammer posted:

What's up with the Dogtown gangs being more level headed than the ones outside in the big city. The Dogtown Voodoo Boys think the Pacifica VDBs are psychotic cultists and you can overhear Barghest troopers talking about how the Dogtown Scavs aren't nearly as bad as the chop shop lunatics in Night City.

My perspective on this is that Hason clamped down on poo poo after the war because he explicitly wanted his enclave military junta to be an orderly place. If the people inside get too out of line, BARGHEST comes in and wipes them. Combined with having a much smaller area to control than the NCPD, with higher grade weapons and no public opinion mandate to prevent them from using mechs/whatever other military grade hardware they have stockpiled, and they actually had a chance of succeeding at that.

Twobirds posted:

I did the Dogtown gig Waiting For Dodger " " "correctly" " " and oh man what a great quest.

To me this is getting all the way to the bottom, Dodger showing up, making some veiled threats before V says "Can we just skip to the part where we try to zero each other now?" and then kills them all in under a second with the Sandy. My V's patience had finally run out at that point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I think there's a problem with the way that level scaling for skill checks interacts with the Body attribute bonuses from Gorilla Arms. I've had situations similar to yours where I'd suddenly be able to open doors well beyond my body stats, and then other times where I'd be told I lacked the body stats required to open a door with a threshold lower than my actual body level.

And then I reload a save and suddenly the checks calculate properly.

This seems to happen a lot. I had it with the perk that auto activates Active Camoflage when crouch-sprinting. It wouldn't work until I refunded and reactivated the perk. And then there's activations unrelated to the perk system, like calling your vehicle straight up failing to function until you save and reload.

The game is still a termite mound of bugs.

99pct of germs posted:

Also PL guess:
Songbird is 100% going to try and haze me, it seems painfully obvious from everything I've read about her in-game and even how she acts towards me. Reed just seems like a delusional bootlicker working for shitbags who is probably the Arasaka equivalent ending.

Also I have yet to really like anyone I've come across which is a little exhausting, yeah I get it grimdark future of 2077. Sometimes the morally grey shtick gets old.

PL Answers:
You more or less got full points on your spy thriller exam. I'm going to do Reed's path in my new game, but in my first run though PL, I decided to stick with Songbird despite the haze, my V rationalizing it as not being able to blame the girl for doing something she'd have done herself if they'd swapped places. She knows intimately the pressure of knowing you will die in a short time if you don't manage to find a solution, and that pressure makes burning anyone and anything you need to a viable path. She also chewed Reed out for being so wholly committed to his quiet patriotism that he'd throw his life away for an unjust cause that will guarantee the suffering of someone he cares about, all while deluding himself that this isn't the case.

I'm curious what is putting you off to some of the characters. Jackie, Viktor, Misty, Mama Wells, Judy, and River all have characteristics I generally vibe with, with Jackie's mom being the lowest on that list because of how she treats Misty. They all come off to me as people who are trying to carve out a small piece of comfort in an otherwise lovely world where human life has zero value beyond what it can provide to shareholders in aggregate. The people in orbit around V (Takemura, the fixers, any number of side-quest NPCs) tend to be some variety of shithead, and Johnny in particular is a bastard who only gets marginally better...

Wait, do you mean just the folks in PL? Because yeah, lmao, it's a spy thriller--they are all bastards unless you like big P Patriotism (Reed) or can get past Alex's mistrust of everyone, since she is the one who most clearly wants 'out' as far as the protagonist group goes. It's got a bit of Alpha Protocol going on where pretty much everyone is a bastard, some more than others. Like, the least-bastardy person in Alpha Protocol was Shaheed. He got all of two scenes and was the Osama Bin Laden stand-in, but he never lied to you (by omission or otherwise) or tried to backstab you. There's no real analog to him in PL. The only character who has the opportunity to not be a bastard in either Alpha Protocol or Phantom Liberty is Thorton and V, respectively, because they're the player characters and you can choose not to be an utter bastard and rise above the backstabbing quagmire of spycraft and escape that world.

IMO, it's an unavoidable facet of the espionage genre--morally grey is the default setting. That's not grimdark, that's everything from James Bond to Jason Bourne.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope the sequel involves a storyline killing Myers.

Are you a preem enough choom to assassinate the President?

Seriously, Songbird, shut the gently caress up let me go cyberpsycho on this lady. We all agree she's an awful person and I am in a PRIME position as a literal human disaster to do something about it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Do cops behave differently on higher difficulties? I don't recall the cops inserting themselves into every fight I have with the local gangsters on normal, but since moving up to hard it feels like I can't do a scanner mission without some pig deciding to shoot the person doing his job for him.

Ytlaya posted:

Does this mean that I want to turn off Sandevistan before using a finisher?I guess that's doable, since I have the iconic one you can freely turn on and off.

Don't worry about micromanging it to that degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

With all the perks and the relic stuff from PL it turns into probably the most fun weapon in the game.

Just walking into a room and dropping fifteen fireballs like you’re a cyber wizard.

I'm already a netrunner choom.

I wish there was a "Dual Boot" perk that gave you a dedicated cyberdeck slot independent of sandy/berserk.