Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1335976007506006022?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’m feeling 89 with a big split between insanely high reviews and mediocre reviews.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hahaha. After all this the game is bad!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I said come in! posted:

It seems like the game itself isnt so much bad, its core game is good, but the technical issues hold it way back and give off an awful first impression if you are going to be playing it day 1.

This checks out. The PC version seems to be reviewing much better.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077/critic-reviews

It just makes me happy I’m waiting on some patches.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 7, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We need to wait for some time trusted goon opinions to get a real take.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamespot article sounds really good, but is pretty crazy nitpicky.

Compare this to a review for like, the latest Call of Duty where they're just like "hey its a cool shooter game" and its clear they're holding Cyberpunk to a vastly higher standard than most videogames.

You’ve got it backwards. We should be holding all game reviews to this standard. The issue is the boilerplate CoD reviews, not this actually good one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Turin Turambar posted:

Come on, one less point!

Yeah! I’m so close to my prediction being bang on.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Communist Bear posted:

Polygon's review is...well typical Polygon if you like stonebaked artisan bakeries and grooming your beard.

I'm not going to bother linking it because it's eye rolling.

Who doesn’t like stonebaked artisan bakeries?! Like, I don’t go to them because I can’t justify the price, but I wish I could.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I mean, no-one thinks that a film that’s given a 5 star review is perfect, so I don’t see the issue with this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, I thought that was out of 10, not 100.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this review quote. Since this is a roleplaying game, isn't any side activity, no matter how unrelated, so long it's in the context of the setting, welcome?

Absolutely not. If the stuff is just meaningless busywork, even if it’s in the context of the setting that’s bad. RPGs still can, and often do, waste your time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

black.lion posted:

All these leaky opinions and still I have no idea what stat I'm supposed to pump to make my neon katana go snicker snack

Can’t. You need a vorpal katana, not a neon one. It drops from the Jub-jub bird hunt.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Grumbles posted:

It doesn't really matter though, does it? If critics are finding this specific Cyberpunk setting bad and stupid, then if this game slavishly adheres to a bad and stupid setting it doesn't nullify their complaints.

No. But equally, if you complain about wine not being bread, you're not wrong, it's not, but it's also not a very useful criticism. The question is, are they finding bad on its own terms, or is it that they wanted the game to be something else entirely?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Grumbles posted:

I don't think that's what happening in the reviews I've read this evening - Vice, Polygon, etc - and it's also true that this apparently very narrow IP shares its name with an entire literary genre. I know people are griping about the lengthy intro to the Polygon article (which I think is understandable for a trans person to want to write), but the real meat of the review isn't that, but that it's a game that thinks it's genuinely cool and edgy but takes its source material from the actual 80's and so feels dated, clunky, and a bit racist, just like your dad. There's nothing stopping them using that setting in a smarter way.

Yeah. That's completely fair. (And to put my cards on the table, I'm both a fan of the IP and thought that the Polygon review was good.) In many ways, it sounds like CP2077 has made mistakes that the newest version of the tabletop game hasn't in how it's handled these issues, but I'll wait till I've played the game next year to make a full judgement on that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Simone Magus posted:

The polygon review has me legit considering not getting the game

I'm trans, and yet I defended the trans billboard in the game because it's 100% on brand for the genre and imo not offensive at all, but as that review says, putting in that but then not also having you meet any positive trans characters, plus the sheer WTF of the "feminine voice gets you female pronouns"... not a good look at all

I think they'll patch the pronoun thing and make it selectable, hopefully, but to even have a build like this is p. shameful

I’m skeptical about this. It’s been called out as bad for quite a while now, at least since June, and changing it clearly hasn’t been a priority for them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Inzombiac posted:

Which is so hosed. It's not like they have to record new lines.

Just let us pick our presented gender, voice and pronoun.

They already have the assets for each possibility and, in effect, boils down to just two. Have NPCs refer you to "he" or "she". Would be cool to include "they" but I don't expect much from AAA studios.

poo poo, using gender-neutral language would have been less work and covered all bases.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here. I agree 100%.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pulcinella posted:

I mean even the rest of GitS isn’t really like that. The second movie and SAC are way more about the nature of work, evil corporations (but I repeat myself), political corruption, human connection, etc. than they are about transhumanism. Really I would say that isn’t a core theme of cyberpunk. Usually when it comes up more to show how the techno-promised land will only be available to the wealth and politically powerful while the rest of humanity is stuck down in the gutter.

SAC has a lot of episodes about the collision between transhumanism and the life of normies in a world where most people are not and will never reach transhuman status. Just as an example, the episode where the man becomes a tank to own his conservative religious parents comes to mind.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 7, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

sean10mm posted:

Paradoxically I think I'm more positive about this game than some because my expectations are... not low really, but more limited?

Same. I've never expected more from this game than Witcher 3 Deus Ex edition. i.e. a Deus Ex-like with Witcher 3 level storytelling and a couple of glaring flaws. It sounds like that is exactly what it is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

No Mods No Masters posted:

Disliking eurojank is at least as much of a sign of sickness of the soul as liking outer worlds

All interviews should start with the question:

"Tell me your views on E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I said come in! posted:

like 5 people have played this game though lol

Got to weed out the chaff.

Turin Turambar posted:

I loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R but E.Y.E. was a step too far for me. Would I pass the interview?

I'll allow it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ah, the Warren Spectre dream.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

With fans like this, CDPR doesn't need a marketing department...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bardeh posted:

better than this

Yeah, it's a horrible quality compressed Twitter video, but the man has an N64 face.

E: to be clear, I think Cyberpunk is going to own and I will buy it, but it's clear that the scope of the game left the base consoles behind long ago.

I have no doubt it will be a catastrophe on base consoles, but the compression on that is so bad you can't tell anything.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Celexi posted:

Compare:

To the trainwreck that is that cyberpunk leak video.

Given the compression on that leak video it's wholly incomparable. We'll know for sure in a couple of days when we get some proper (relatively) uncompressed base PS4/XBone footage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have a high tolerance for weird janky games then absolutely

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You won't know if you've just downloaded 100 gigs of random data until it unlocks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

1) If it's the gritty sci-fi future, wouldn't anyone have any voice they wanted and have it be completely disconnected from their conception of gender? why would a magical future where anyone can have a massive hog suddenly be gender essentialist about a person's voice? Like, shouldn't there be women going around sounding like darth vader and poo poo? It's just another 'mod,' a way of making yourself distinct, which seems like something the society in the setting is all for.

2) The concept of voice equalling your gender is an old transphobic trope. Obviously just hearing a man's voice, without any other context and going 'oh, that's a man' isn't transphobic, it's just the result of socialization, but think of the trope of a sexy lady but... oh no! they're a tranny! and then they have the gravelly voice of a guy who smokes, or something. And it's still something that's used to discriminate against trans people today. Recently there was a big blowup where some female streamer had a 'women only' channel in their discord, and the method to 'prove' you were a woman was voice chat. Specifically as a way to weed out transwomen.

3) In real life, most trans people have to train their voices incredibly hard to 'pass' vocally, and there's people who just can't manage it. Even if it makes sense in universe, Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that exists in real life. It's reasonable those people would want to play a character who matches their experiences. And again, see point 1.

4) It kind of betrays how shoddily implemented the trans stuff is. The actual reason for this 'choice' is they didn't want to have to rewrite dialogue where the male/female voice protag refers to themselves as male/female. This is pretty solidly proven by the fact that you can get dialogue referencing your dick/pussy even if you don't have one, and the fact that sex scenes are animated based on your gender, not your genitals. (Which is another instance where some kind of choice would be fairly easy to implement and improve the ability to roleplay a lot.)

I'm not saying the game is a monolithic tribute to transphobia just that it's kinda lame and lazy, and betrays a misunderstanding of the issue. I don't think that's an unreasonable criticism.

Yeah. If you want to maintain some consistency with the lore there, are even setting appropriate ways of handling it. For instance, having more poor people having classically gender-mismatched voices, as the people who wanted them couldn’t afford the mods, would both give explicit representation and be an implicit criticism of the hyper-capitalism of the setting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wicked Them Beats posted:

At character creation you choose a male or female voice and that determines your pronouns and what gender-specific insults the enemies scream at you.

But bizarrely, also your sex animations, independent of your genitalia, apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

also, if this is the cyberpunk future where you can have any genitals you want, wouldn't assuming someones genitals based on their gender presentation die out as a concept

I feel goons have thought more about the implications of body modification on gender presentation in this thread in since it launched than the CDPR devs did over eight years...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vigil for Virgil posted:

So the issue is they didn't have a warning screen essentially.

Fair enough

Even if they did, the warning would have to be far far stronger than 99% of games by the sound of it. On the order of “Do not play this game if you have a history of epileptic fits.”

Or, you know, just patch the flashing lights out?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I still haven’t heard the answer to the most important question. Can you install both a Mr Studd and a Midnight Lady simulateously? That would be 100% the play in real life.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

am0kgonzo posted:

I don't, can you explain it to me?

The development leads were straight cos men.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 8, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

juggalo baby coffin posted:

from what someone said earlier on you can't have a dick and tits at the same time

Pretty sure that’s wrong. Body type is independent of genitalia.

Hakkesshu posted:

If you find the things you’ve seen in this game off-putting or unappealing then don’t play it, that’s fine, but also don’t feel like you have to put on an internal morality pageant in order to play a loving video game.

People are often most critical of things they love. Like, after some patches come out, I am going to play and enjoy this game, but that doesn’t change that is has flaws we can be critical of.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 8, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Talkc posted:

M rating came calling. You don't get on console with Male Genitalia. Hell the fact that it shows up at all is probably astoundingly pushing the boundary of what they can get away with with the ESRB or PEGi or whatever god forsaken death cult entombed in the halls of hell australia calls its rating crapshit.

Even if you accept this explains the lack of dicks, it doesn’t explain the lack of male sex workers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TheRat posted:

The guy I linked earlier who did a 90 minute q&a who had played it for a week now said there were plenty of male sex workers

I guess we’ll have to wait and see then, because one of the other reviews called out there being far fewer male than female sex workers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Turin Turambar posted:

So there is no genetalia selection on consoles? No penis 2???!

There is. Which is another reason I don’t buy that explanation.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah its a total mystery why women would want to bang a perfect physical specimen that legendarily can't get you pregnant or give you syphilis :iiam:

And whose touch literally causes your skin to tingle.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic gamers: Making a white man

Me, a refined gamer: Making Mokoto Kusanagi

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grieving for Gandalf posted:

judy looks like the gay version of the replicant chick from blade runner. they were baiting clueless nerds all along and it should be illegal encouraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm weirded out by that ASMR stuff in the launch trailer.