Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
Okay, beat the game, had a question for others who've beaten it.

I chose Rogue's ending, and was going to give V his body back, but then I reloaded because V was so angry. My question is, why the hell was V/me so angry? I thought V would be happy, but instead he got super angry.

And then I looked up some other ending videos and saw the same ending but V wasn't angry? He was like, Johnny I'm so glad we met. I wasn't antagonistic towards Johnny so I don't get why. Is it because V wanted to take the bullet for Johnny?

Overall good game, and my personal game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
Side missions have hints of being geared towards a longer and more intricate story, but ultimately they go nowhere.

Some side-gigs will end up being incredibly dense and complicated. There's one gig where you have to take back medication, and you can either fight the PTSD-addled veteran or talk him out of it. If you talk him out of it, he explains a bit about the lore of the corporate wars and how people like him were ultimately cast aside to deal with their issues. He ends up committing suicide. Or you can just run in fighting and miss all of that. NPCs in the apartment building are also talking a bit about him as you're walking up to the building, which is something I missed the first time I played through the game. Lines like this exist throughout every gig and side-mission.

Then there are random gigs where you just have to sneak in and steal a random item and there's barely two lines of dialogue between any of the NPCs.

There's the Romeo and Juliet gig where if you sneak in, you can have a long conversation with the guy who explains how the father was out to kill him, but ended up wounding his own daughter. You can decide what to do. Some of the gigs contain a basic outline of an over-arching storyline. Like for Regina, you dismantle parts of the Tyger Claws organization, eventually killing their leader who's making snuff films and selling them. All the meanwhile, these mission locations are littered with shards that you can read that outline a lot of what's going on behind the gangs and their characters. If you're not reading all of those (and there are a lot of them), it's easy to miss a lot of the story building. It's almost like they had plans to make Jotaro or the Tyger Claws or Valentinos more fleshed out, but had to cut all of this for time so instead they just crammed their story docs into actual in-game books.

Hell, there's two gigs with Regina about some Russian fixer coming to town and you have to track him down. There are shards littered around hinting at why he's come to Night City, but ultimately it leads nowhere.

The problem is these are all indistinguishable on the map and very easy to miss. Some gigs have these cool interactions that are easy to miss if you're not playing a stealth build, while others are literally "run in, steal X, NPCs don't even really say anything". I'm stuck wondering if CDProjekt had bigger plans and had to tone them down in order to ship. It seems like that might be the case, considering how some of the random events in the Witcher 3 were these self-contained stories, and seeing how Night City is peppered with these shards that are rich in details that helped flesh out the world a bit more.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Shards are bad in other games, they're bad in Cyberpunk too. Instead of throwing a bunch of .txt on the ground and expecting me to PRESS X TO READ LOREDUMP, you should probably use that city you designed to show me all that cool stuff happening around (and with) me.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I wonder if they had planned to implement gigs as full-fledged side missions, but were ultimately forced to push them out as these gigs and had to text-dump all their story docs. The whole time through, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was a bit more behind everything, but that we're ultimately playing a half-finished game where they just pushed their assets out as quickly as possible. It's a shame too because I love the setting, and I love Night City.

I still love the game. Overall it's the best sequel to EYE: Divine Cybermancy I could've hoped for.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy was brought up earlier and while I have that in my library, I think I played for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before I bounced off of it. Is that a game people actually like and defend?

When I first played it, I had the same reaction.

The second time I played it, I sank 50 hours into it. Game's good, but you have to embrace the insanity and the Euro-Jank. You can make your character incredibly broken, and you have some fun cyberware and hacking tools to use. That's why I compare it to Cyberpunk, because to me the gameplay loops were very similar. I prefer the gunplay and difficulty of Cyberpunk to EYE, but it's still very satisfying.