Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Asgerd posted:

Virgin Imperial Obi-Wan vs Chad Sith Hobo Obi-Wan

Guess this is what the druid's mystery was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sanguinia posted:

I always imagined this was an Obi Wan who listened to Dooku on Genosis and was tempted into becoming his apprentice, and in this timeline Dooku is the Emperor because they killed Palpatine and Anakin

That's always been my number one alt timeline in general, which I never see anyone talk about. "Obi Wan doesn't tell Dooku to gently caress off out of hand on Geonosis," is an idea overflowing with potential.

nerd.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So I was reminded yesterday about how Obi-wan told Duchess Satine in the Clone Wars that if she'd asked him he would have left the Jedi Order to be with her. Mandalorian Obi-Wan Timeline When?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
alternate timeline where Qui Gonn has an extra twenty bucks on him and can spring Shmi

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

indigi posted:

alternate timeline where Qui Gonn has an extra twenty bucks on him and can spring Shmi

Kinda wish this section of the movie in particular better pointed out how Qui Gon, a space ranger with unlimited authority to do whatever the gently caress he feels like,

1) Decides slavery is cool and good if he doesn't have the spacebucks to end it,

2) But will engage in a convoluted scheme to risk a child's life on a bet if there is a shot they could be a no-account space ranger like him.

The story goes a lot differently if Qui Gon decides that slavery is violence.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The book Master & Apprentice actually tries to justify this, but just ends up having him decide that if he can't end all slavery, it's not worth trying to end any slavery.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who gives a gently caress about ending slavery, how about just saving this important kid's mom so he doesn't have Problems

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Kinda wish this section of the movie in particular better pointed out how Qui Gon, a space ranger with unlimited authority to do whatever the gently caress he feels like,

1) Decides slavery is cool and good if he doesn't have the spacebucks to end it,

2) But will engage in a convoluted scheme to risk a child's life on a bet if there is a shot they could be a no-account space ranger like him.

The story goes a lot differently if Qui Gon decides that slavery is violence.

Qui-Gon is already some fringe fundamentalist within the Jedi, he's only interested in Anakin because he believes he's the chosen one in a prophecy no one else takes seriously.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

There is a certain theoretical wisdom in the idea that since they have a planetary head of state in their care and are avoiding the assassins of an interstellar criminal cartel by hiding in the territory of ANOTHER interstellar criminal cartel and billions of lives are in the balance because they're trying to stop a planetary invasion and military occupation, avoiding notice by not doing any John Brown raids is the right call.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

There is a certain theoretical wisdom in the idea that since they have a planetary head of state in their care and are avoiding the assassins of an interstellar criminal cartel by hiding in the territory of ANOTHER interstellar criminal cartel and billions of lives are in the balance because they're trying to stop a planetary invasion and military occupation, avoiding notice by not doing any John Brown raids is the right call.

you don't have to do a John Brown raid, just conk Wattoo on the head with a pan and tie him up when you leave town. they wound up having to do a fighting retreat anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC it's mentioned that Tatooine slaves have an implant inside them that blows their heads off if they try to pull a runner. Anakin's is permanently deactivated when he's given to Qui-Gon.

That said, yeah, just hold a lightsaber to Watto's goolies til he signs them over then make a run for it. But then you don't have the space chariot race sequence.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So... Could that ever just be turned back on?
That seems like a liability that a dark lord of the sith wouldn't want

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall the novelisation specifically saying it had been permanently deactivated and would be removed surgically later.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Sure sure but it's pretty cold of not only Obi-Wan but the entire Jedi Order to just leave it at that. Maybe send a pair of undercover negotiators to try and seek the release of the slaves on Tatooine by agreement or by the sword?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Jedi Order as presented in the prequels are the enforcers of the Status Quo. Whatever ideology they have is secondary to maintaining the republic and by extension themselves.

There is an alternate timeline where Anakin and others like him do get put on the council and corrupts the order to his whim instead of needing to eliminate it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He already uses the force to cheat Watto, why not just loving rob the guy?

Sanguinia posted:

So I was reminded yesterday about how Obi-wan told Duchess Satine in the Clone Wars that if she'd asked him he would have left the Jedi Order to be with her. Mandalorian Obi-Wan Timeline When?

At the very least it would have been good of Obi-Wan and Satine to acknowledge that Satine's "nephew" was actually their bastard son before he died off-camera.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Defiance Industries posted:

It seems pretty clear that they think Watto's property rights are good and right, they just think that Anakin being inside the Jedi order is more important than those rights in this narrow instance.

Jedi were consciously modeled after sheriffs from golden age westerns and just like those sheriffs, they look really loving amoral if you are even a little rigorous.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Defiance Industries posted:

if Watto thinks he lost the dice gamble fairly he is less likely to cause trouble than if he knows he's been straight up robbed.

they are on the run and want to get off Tattooine without attracting attention. so no robberies, no revolutions to overthrow slavery, and stay out of the limelight at the pod-racing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's kinda odd though since it's not like the Trade Federation is actively hunting them like say, the Empire in ANH. Darth Maul comes after them eventually, but that's not til they're right about to leave.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They are though, or at least should be expected to be? The trade federations whole thing was to kidnap the queen to sign the treaties. The jedis want to get her to Corsucant where she'll be safe; everywhere else, especially some mob-run backwater, they're vulnerable to agents of the trade federation. Quickly and quietly is their MO on Tattooine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I suppose, just might have helped to have say, some bounty hunters after them, or Darth Maul stalking them more ongoing than just before they leave?

vvvv: I know, but I find it interesting anyway. Sometimes I feel the best way to learn about how to make better works is to examine ones that went wrong, and see where the problems lie.

Also seems like they'd have a hard time keeping too low a profile, since they landed in a literally completely chromed luxury spaceship and stand out on Tatooine. The novelisation iirc has Anakin note Qui-Gon isn't a local farmer, his hands are way too smooth.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 22, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Looking for ways to make episode one a better movie is a fools errand, as you can spend every moment of the rest of your life coming up with another one.

Yes, it could have been handled better, but they are explicitly trying not to draw any attention to themselves / the queen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also seems like they'd have a hard time keeping too low a profile, since they landed in a literally completely chromed luxury spaceship and stand out on Tatooine.

isn't that why they landed the ship outside of town, rather than touching down in the spaceport?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but out of towners rummaging around the market looking for a high end hyperdrive engine then making a very high stakes wager with a local medium-shot is gonna draw a bunch of attention anyway

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also seems like they'd have a hard time keeping too low a profile, since they landed in a literally completely chromed luxury spaceship and stand out on Tatooine.
Ironically, the fact that it was completely chromed made the model very hard to film, since it just reflected whatever environment it was in and became invisible.

From a distance, I could see this completely blending in with the sand dune behind it:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Ironically, the fact that it was completely chromed made the model very hard to film, since it just reflected whatever environment it was in and became invisible.

From a distance, I could see this completely blending in with the sand dune behind it:

Pretty clever actually, I'll bet the Defense Department has taken notes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, that sure showed me. Also, lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bumping because a discussion came up in prequeldome: an obvious source of Star Wars counterfactuals is the Clone Wars. Since Palpatine obviously set them up so that no matter the outcome, he'd come ahead, because he's the open ruler of one side and the shadow ruler of the other, what happens if the war favours the Separatists? Very likely that the liquidation of the leadership like in the end of RotS goes ahead pretty similarly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Crossposting from the prequeldome thread

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a big theme of the prequels is that the Trade Federation are ultimately incompetent, greedy, paranoid bullies who mostly get by with attacking nearly defenceless people with remote-controlled and expendable soldiers- a big reason why all the droids are remote controlled is because they're more worried about them being subverted or acting independently than they are about getting literally any meaningful resistance. They're basically build-your-own Pinkertons, who come by the rack, and the individual droids are mostly there to do what can't be done with the tanks. There's also the Droidekas for dealing with actual armed resistance, being more intimidating and expensive. (funny thing is apparently the battle droids are said to look like the Neimodian version of rigor mortis, basically making them an alien take on skull/skeleton soldiers) We're shown the leaders as bumbling greedy cowards being pushed around by the dark wizards they've made a deal with, being easy and expendable pawns.

By the time of the opening shots of the Clone Wars, the Trade Federation droid armies may still be the bulk of the Seperatist armies, but they've visible changed their tactics and makeup; the droids don't have such a glaring obvious weakness since now they can expect meaningful resistance, and the heavy droids are basically a middle ground between the cheapass battle droids and the expensive droidekas. The Separatists also have other troops besides the droids, mercenaries like Jango Fett, and the (first) Clone Wars cartoons shows them drafting people into horrific super-soldier projects.

And of course, in the end, Sidious has his freshly turned apprentice brutally slaughter the abovementioned expendable pawns that he set up all those years ago, to become the most hated and derided people in the galaxy- by the Republic for being brutal warmongers who threatened their peace and stability, and by the surviving Separatists for being the greedy idiots who led them into a losing war. Sidious pretty much used the old adage, having the capitalists sell him the rope he'd hang them with.

Does make me wonder about the obvious counterfactual; what happens in the timeline where it's the Separatists who win? While the overall course of the war seems vague, it's not clear to me whether Sidious was specifically pushing for a particular outcome or happy to let the chips fall as they may given he stood to triumph in any reasonable outcome. Though it's unclear whether the Separatists would actually in theory be happy with being allowed to secede from the Republic, or really just wanted to take the whole thing over.

reignofevil posted:

This would be a great discussion for our alt history in star wars thread! One thing I like about alt history is typically you try to pick a single point of divergence and kind of have the speculation flow from there, the spot I think is likeliest where the confederate systems could have accidentally won the war would be the opening sequence of Revenge of the Sith, when they had captured Palpatine. I'm fairly certain that General Grievous isn't necessarily aware that he's actually got his boss as a hostage and over the course of that fight there were several points where Palpatine could have just outright died.

1) Grievous might put a gun to his head when Anakin and Obi-wan came aboard his vessel and threatened to blast him if Anakin does anything rash. Maybe Anakin does who knows!

2) When Grievous blasted open the window on the bridge-thing and flew out into space, if he had Palpatine there with him even if you accept that the vacuum of space poses no threat to a jedi (which it pains me to have to do so, thanks Rian Johnson) there were still tons of ships flying around and lasers being shot and depending on how quickly he could act Palpatine might definitely burn up in re-entry to Coruscant.

3) Count Dooku could have had slightly more gumption and just killed his boss, some thoughts:

A) Palpatine is a body-hopping magic fellow and so he would have jumped into Dooku if he had done this

B) Count Dooku is an enemy of the state and NOT supreme chancellor of the grand republic. Palpatine has to severely adjust his plan from basically this second on

C) Probably the simplest adjustment to make is for the confederacy to win the war, honestly though this might not be super easy since Anakin is gunning for your rear end and the clone army knows who you are and is after you and you can't give them orders anymore. I'm sure Palpy would work something out.

4) Maybe Anakin just crashes the giant capital ship like in the movie but this time it just fuckin' explodes because the big impact with the ground cracks the reactor or some poo poo. In this case the confederacy only really gets credited with the kill because they put Palpatine in that situation to begin with and Grievous survives.

How does the war proceed from there with no Anakin and no Obi-wan and palpatine definitely dead? Who knows! Maybe snoke clones!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The easiest solution for that is for Palpatine to have a plan for that exact contingency in advance. Given the nature of the Sith he'd dang well better have a lot of contingency plans for his apprentices/potential apprentices trying to assassinate him.

Presumably there's some sort of line of succession that would put a temporary Supreme Chancellor up until the Senate could vote on it. So he puts some force persuasion on that guy to immediately implement order 66 in the event of Palp's confirmed death. This accomplishes several objectives. Obviously it removes the Jedi as a threat against him, but it also totally paralyses the Republic because they just lost their most experienced military commanders, whatever troops they managed to take down with them on the way out, and could easily create a second civil war because whoever that guy is, he has nowhere near Palp's clout to get away with it and no explanation for why he did it.

Now with the galaxy in total chaos he can try to put his thumb on the scale wherever he likes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I always sort of assumed Sheev didn't expect to make progress as quickly as he did on the republic side of things, but as much as he was a duplicitous plotter only the republic offered him a path for total galactic control so thats the side he always wanted to win as long as he was in the game on that end. Would he have accepted ruling some rump state if the separatists pulled it off (or more pressingly the Trade Federation had military training slightly better than "petro state failson")? Absolutely but the republic was a much easier thing to mold into a galaxy spanning empire than a bunch of disparate worlds looking to dodge taxes.

Like I think a very real EU is he doesn't win the primary race to oppose Valorum and then nudges the separatists to victory by gumming up the republic and canceling the clone army.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 7, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something something, Palpatine's death inevitably ending up with Supreme Chancellor Jar-Jar.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the separatists succeeded, Palpatine would just rule openly as Darth Sidious perhaps after faking Palpatine's death. All of the separatists are loyal to/afraid of Sidious.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If the separatists succeeded, Palpatine would just rule openly as Darth Sidious perhaps after faking Palpatine's death. All of the separatists are loyal to/afraid of Sidious.

i'm pretty sure that's just the leadership. the rank and file of the CIS (inasmuch as there is one at all outside the droids) basically went on to be half of the rebel alliance later so i don't think there's any loyalty to the sith there.

if you go by the plagueis novel then the sith have basically spent at least the last few hundred years as kingmakers in the financial industry, which is why sidious ends up able to unite the megacorps into a secretly-sith-aligned faction, but nobody is really aware of the sith nature of the weird rituals the ultra-wealthy sometimes do at parties until ol' sheevy p reveals it to them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jazerus posted:

i'm pretty sure that's just the leadership. the rank and file of the CIS (inasmuch as there is one at all outside the droids) basically went on to be half of the rebel alliance later so i don't think there's any loyalty to the sith there.

if you go by the plagueis novel then the sith have basically spent at least the last few hundred years as kingmakers in the financial industry, which is why sidious ends up able to unite the megacorps into a secretly-sith-aligned faction, but nobody is really aware of the sith nature of the weird rituals the ultra-wealthy sometimes do at parties until ol' sheevy p reveals it to them.

If every place in Star Wars consists of one type of location spread out over a whole world then I want to visit Bohemian Grove Planet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If every place in Star Wars consists of one type of location spread out over a whole world then I want to visit Bohemian Grove Planet.

We've already seen Burning Man Planet, it doesn't seem a big stretch

Actually a Seperatists Win timeline seems potentially buck wild, instead of the Space British Empire where capital is subservient to power, you get a cyberpunk hellscape ruled by megacorp cartels and nobles (especially if Count Dooku survives in this version, though dunno how much longer he might be allowed to. Hell, maybe he gets one over on Palpatine, and there's another timeline) backed up by droid enforcers and superweapons. The Republic Army in the prequels and Clone Wars in particular is played up as eventually inevitably evolving into the Empire, so that raises the questions of what victorious Seperatists might turn into.

Actually given the factitious nature of the Seperatists it's entirely possible that they end up immediately descending into their own nasty civil corporate war.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually given the factitious nature of the Seperatists it's entirely possible that they end up immediately descending into their own nasty civil corporate war.

lol yeah

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

though either way, a multi-polar Star Wars galaxy is, uh, probably going to result in a lot more star wars lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now picturing a Star Wars version of Sengoku era Japan, or maybe more likely warlord era post-Qing China.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing a Star Wars version of Sengoku era Japan, or maybe more likely warlord era post-Qing China.

That’s definitely enough Star Wars to tire you out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, but picture Oda Nobunaga with a lightsaber... actually p sure that's already a thing, but still!