Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Be prepared to relive the first nightmare in Resident Evil 0, a remastered version of the popular prequel to the original Resident Evil game. This remastered version takes the fear-inducing atmosphere from the original 2002 release and transforms it with stunning new HD visuals, improved sound, widescreen support and an optional modernized control system and more. It’s the best way to experience the story of what really happened before the iconic mansion incident that was the catalyst for the entire Resident Evil saga.

The story of Resident Evil 0 takes players back to 1998. Reports have been mounting about unusual murders on the outskirts of Raccoon City. The city’s Special Forces division, S.T.A.R.S., sends their Bravo Team - including rookie cop member Rebecca Chambers - to investigate. On route, the team’s helicopter suffers engine trouble and is forced to make a crash landing, where they find an overturned prisoner transport vehicle. Splitting up to search the area, Rebecca discovers the Ecliptic Express, a train stopped dead on the tracks. Inside, she meets death row convict and ex-Navy lieutenant Billy Coen. Throughout the game, you will take control of both Rebecca and Billy, at times switching between both characters in order to proceed. Learning the advantages of each character is the key to solving puzzles and surviving the nightmares that lie ahead.

You know what Resident Evil is.

RE0 is the somewhat-maligned but mostly-ignored 2002 prequel to the franchise, originally exclusive to the Gamecube. I played it back when it was still relatively new, but I never really liked it much and didn't finish it. Repeated attempts over the years didn't go much better. Everything in RE0 is much slower and more cumbersome than previous games, and the dual-protagonist setup only really served to add new annoyances. The story borders on incomprehensible, covering events that add nearly nothing to the lore, and serves mostly to set up a cancelled version of RE4.

In 2015, Capcom created a new HD port of the popular RE1 remake, and since it shares pretty much all the underlying tech, RE0 got to come along for the ride one year later. I've had the PC version for some time, untouched, occasionally peeking its head around the corner at me, and I figured it's finally time to do this for real, on video. We decided to set out to see once and for all what this game has to offer. Maybe I'd be proven wrong and it would even impress us!

Spoiler: It didn't.

Full Playlist

01. Use Dining Car Key on Door
02. Use Rings on Briefcase
03. Use "Code" on Brakes
04. Use Handle on Crank
05. Use Microfilm on Projector
06. Use Statues on Scales
07. Use Lighter on Nature Puzzle
08. Use Billy on Piano
09. Use Shotgun on Bats
10. Use Everything on Dumbwaiter
11. Use Nostalgia on Player
12. Use Solitude on Rebecca
13. Use Pushing on Boxes
14. Use Incubation on Virus
15. Use Sunlight on Leech Queen
16. Bonus Modes (End)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

01. Use Dining Car Key on Door

Rebecca Chambers is about to have one of those days.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was not told what the title of this thread would be and I'm sighing IRL at work.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Rebecca's attitude here is one of the many, many places where it is clear what the devs were going for but didn't quite land it. She's a rookie cop who is trying to assert authority over a convicted multiple murderer (ignoring any oddities with that or any possible "he was framed" scenario, she can only work with the information she has) that is literally twice her size. Too bad it comes off as "petulant child" instead, mostly from the visuals.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

The voice acting isn't doing her any favors on that front either. It's a good performance overall but she does manage to hit a very specific pitch of teen whine in those scenes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's quite true, but there's clear fault in the animation as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've never played this. All I can recall is TheDarkId's screenshot LP of it.

- They know a dangerous prisoner has escaped, and their first move is "let's all split up, gang!"
- Rebecca isn't radioing to the others "I found a train stopped, will investigate". Needless to say she also didn't report "dead bodies here" or "shots fired... by me".
- What will cutting the line on the phone on a train do? You couldn't call out anyway... I think?
- See? She's got a radio. It works, somewhat. She fails to report her position, her encounter with Billy, or that her colleague is dead.
- So... bad... Why would shooting two of the swarm of leeches off her save her. Where were those leeches going after Billy leaping? They leapt and he went all Max Payne with a shoot dodge and they were still going right for his face, even though he was no longer at the place he was when they jumped.
- I was going to ask where he got the radio, but it could have been one of the MP's radio's, or even poor dead Edward's.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

Too bad it comes off as "petulant child" instead, mostly from the visuals.
Seriously. Her eyes are gigantic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As the game goes on, try to keep in mind where everything is happening from where the helicopter landed. Of everything this game messes up as a prequel, I don't see many people bring up the distance thing.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- So... bad... Why would shooting two of the swarm of leeches off her save her. Where were those leeches going after Billy leaping? They leapt and he went all Max Payne with a shoot dodge and they were still going right for his face, even though he was no longer at the place he was when they jumped.

It's worth keeping in mind that this was originally in development for N64 to release in 2000. EVERYONE was doing the Max Payne jump then, logic be damned.

Leal posted:

As the game goes on, try to keep in mind where everything is happening from where the helicopter landed. Of everything this game messes up as a prequel, I don't see many people bring up the distance thing.

I'll try to make as accurate a map as I can.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have preferred dropping items instead of dealing with chests.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Scalding Coffee posted:

See, you say that now. Just wait.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, I forsee tons of stupid backtracking in the future as a result of this. It probably won't take more than one or two new weapons before inventory juggling and pre-boss-fight treks become a fact of life rather than a choice.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

This ends up being a good idea in theory that ends up being more cumbersome in practice, because it means you no longer have universal access to your back stock across the game and instead, remember that one thing you left all the way back in the main hall? Surprise, time to go trek back and get it.

I feel this game gets a little bit of an undeserved bad rep. It’s by no means a series highlight, but it’s mostly solid “old school” RE. Having to manage two characters does become tedious, and the aforementioned item dropping mechanic ends up layering even more tedium on top of that, but it’s serviceable. The plot is certainly pants on head, but it’s RE, that’s par for the course.

In the grand scheme of things it’s a middling and somewhat forgettable entry, but I dug it at the time, and they did do some pretty impressive work with the prerendered background elements.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
RE1R was reason enough to prefer dropping items. Not to mention how slowly new areas opened up if you didn't have a guide and one way doors you never kept open. The mansion front door would be covered in items. I backtracked dozens of times through so many rooms trying to find that one key item.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The way item dropping is handled in this game is kind of like the platonic ideal of one step forward, two steps back.
I enjoyed this game, dumb as it is, but it's no REmake, that's for sure. My biggest issue with it, though, is definitely the monster variety or rather the lack thereof. Granted, RE5 was definitely the most disappointing game in the franchise on that front.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Certain design decisions make the item drop mechanic far, far worse than it should be. Judging from the amount played in the first video, we'll see one of them (albeit not the true horror of it) in the second.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

02. Use Rings on Briefcase

If Billy was trying to escape, why did he decide to hop on a conspicuous, stopped train to check it out? He ponders this and other life decisions while a big crustacean tries to shatter all of Rebecca's bones.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 1, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What was the reupload about? I had just clicked back to the main site after watching all of part 2 when I saw you'd published the new version and pulled the old one.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Haha dammit, I was hoping I'd gotten away with that. I accidentally unchecked the "Publish to subscriptions feed" option and it's impossible to fix that once it goes public so I reuploaded. The video is exactly the same.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someone is missing a pet scorpion.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Someone is missing a pet scorpion.

That, or they’re native to the Arklay forest/mountains? Let’s go with that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The file earlier suggests (by use of a specific "Subject XXXX" name) that they were transporting the scorpion on the train. Which doesn't make sense since the same file says they were specifically being dispatched to look into why the lab stopped talking, but whatever.

The Hookshot is dumb. Easily the second worst thing in this game.

The limited inventory makes some sense - you only get six slots per character, but you have two characters to play with for a total of 12. But making stuff two-slot (which was super rare previously) is just a pain in the rear end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gnoman posted:

The Hookshot is dumb. Easily the second worst thing in this game.

I was going to call bullshit but then I thought about it and yes, there's definitely a single worse thing.

I can't wait until we get deeper into this and I can gloves off dive into "who DID this" chat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
With two characters, you only need one weapon for each and they can help kill things. Unless this is one of those RE games where you would regularly face six zombies at a time, you won't have to worry about them dying quickly.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

03. Use "Code" on Brakes

Is anyone really surprised that the train crashes? This is a Resident Evil game.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That train brake puzzle isn't simply the worst thing in this game. Probably the worst thing in the series, just because it is a "this breaks my brain" level of stupid.

As far as I can tell, the Hunting Gun only exists because two characters obviously need two shotguns.

Kind of disappointed you didn't have a molotov ready when you walked up to that candle - that always amuses me for some reason.

On a more positive note, that bathroom really does a good job of training you to use the molotovs on the leech zombies. It is a rare well executed aspect of the game, and more satisfying than just finding a "leeches are weak to fire" file.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You also learn how to kill leeches in Outbreak by luring a leech man into an incinerator.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The game seems definitely designed to make annoying inventory management part of the full experience. Weapons? 1-2 slots. Ammunition? 1 slot per type. Even mandatory progression items? A slot each. Save Gems need a slot too.

I guess that's the "survival" part of "survival horror", forcing you into running back and forth past respawning enemies to drain your resources. The problem is that repeating the same thing over and over again is more tedious than fun. At least the game had the courtesy to dump all your items (Ink Ribbons) out of the train.

Watching this is making me think I should continue my play of the PC version of Re 4. At least that inventory system isn't as painful. You can actually carry multiple weapons. And your knife doesn't take a slot!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

That train brake puzzle isn't simply the worst thing in this game. Probably the worst thing in the series, just because it is a "this breaks my brain" level of stupid.

It's one of the dumbest contrivances in the game, but at least it's easy and quick!

Gnoman posted:

As far as I can tell, the Hunting Gun only exists because two characters obviously need two shotguns.

I looked up an FAQ with all the damage numbers recently to see if maybe the HG's lack of spread was compensated by doing more damage. It doesn't. It's just Shotgun But Worse.

Gnoman posted:

On a more positive note, that bathroom really does a good job of training you to use the molotovs on the leech zombies. It is a rare well executed aspect of the game, and more satisfying than just finding a "leeches are weak to fire" file.

I hadn't actually considered that! You make a good point. Unfortunately, there was a big gap in recording after this one so the lesson didn't stick until later than it should have.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The game seems definitely designed to make annoying inventory management part of the full experience. Weapons? 1-2 slots. Ammunition? 1 slot per type. Even mandatory progression items? A slot each. Save Gems need a slot too.

Hold on to that complaint. Nurture it in a cocoon in your heart until it emerges like a beautiful butterfly carrying a two-slot weapon with three ammo types.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 6, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Level 1 Thief posted:

I looked up an FAQ with all the damage numbers recently to see if maybe the HG's lack of spread was compensated by doing more damage. It doesn't. It's just Shotgun But Worse.

Typically double-barrel shotguns of that sort have a super-quick rate of fire to balance out the low capacity (see Resident Evil 7, or reality). Pretty sure that in this game the animation is the same for both guns, so that doesn't exist.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

04. Use Handle on Crank

Still exhausted from her fierce battle against Really Big Scorpion, Rebecca asks Billy to lift a cage for her, with disastrous results.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I think this is the first time I scream at the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was funny the cage only bonked Rebecca to death instead of falling through her.
There was something similar in Silent Hill 3 on the harder modes where you have to do something to survive an obvious spike trap. Just something you were somehow supposed to find out after a gotcha death.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- If the notice is to "All Staff", why have a code? A code implies that there are people you don't want to know about the information.
- A Minute Hand: Your backpack can hold two of them OR one Grenade Launcher. :bang::bang::bang:.
- Ooh, my Resident Evil 4 save files are intact, good, because I had just made it to the castle back in ... 2014.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't think of a single game that was better for forcing you to juggle key items within limited inventory space. Stuff that poo poo in a key items menu for pity's sake.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This came out half a year after Remake. They learned very little, but Remake had options to have static storage boxes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I remember liking this game. I'm having to reassess.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This game is absolutely the worst as far as "could easily get around this" goes in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking back on this its hard to say why I at any point I thought "Resident Evil but on a train" was any kind of a hook. They concentrated so much on that part when showing the game.