Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

YELLOW

*pauses for dramatic effect*

JACKETS

I came here to see if there was a thread.

It’s pretty loving intense. I’m hesitant cause I hate disappointment, but these first three episodes have got me pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MiddleOne posted:

Liking Yellow Jackets so far but the future/past framing device is really starting to wear thin. The future intermissions feel like jumps to a much less interesting show that I'm not really interested in watching.

I can see that, but I’m willing to wait to see if it builds to something and right now I kind of like how it lulls me into a false sense of security before slapping me in the face with teenage cannibal woods cult stuff.

“Huh wow this lady’s marriage is falling apart that sucks for he-“
*shot of a 17 year old blonde woman stalking through the snow, covered in blood and animal hides with a spear salvaged from airplane parts*
“Well, gently caress!”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Also Amazon has 2 months of Showtime for .99 on a deal through tomorrow. That should be enough to get you through the season.

Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one doing that exact plan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen some loving insane takes on the internet, and for whatever reason split personalities / hallucinated spouses / lovers / whatever turn up a lot. A lot of people think Adam is a hallucination too, but it's stupid and doesn't track.

My favourite bad theory is that the cast cannibalised their as-yet-nonexistant babies for protein, which is the kind of theory only someone who's never spent time with a pregnant person could come up with.

(Oh, and sidebar, really happy to see a lot of unsung, solid, Canadian character actors in this. Sarah Dejardins -- the daughter -- is one of them; she was excellent on Impulse. But also Rekha Sharma, Rukiya Bernard, and a few others. They're all very solid presences.)

The only take on it I've bumped into that I give credence to is this Vox article by Emily VanDerWerff who got to see the first 6 episodes, because 1) I don't always agree with her, but I'm familiar with her enough that I trust her opinions to be from looking at the thing carefully, even if I disagree and 2) she's actually gotten to see until at least episode 6.

So I totally get the hesitance and skepticism, I feel them too, but I've still got a teeny ember of cautious optimism. I don't really trust them to handle the creepy kid subplot well, but Emily seems to think they did an okay job, and I gotta admit that the kid is legit incredibly creepy*. Likewise, the Shauna affair thing hasn't done anything yet, but I could at least see it doing some interesting things down the road (if not the affair itself, then as a symptom of her on-going domestic strife).

*My nephew does loving half of that poo poo and I'm UPSing him to rural Ontario and then moving to a fort in Tahiti.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

We still know that someone is watching them in the woods. My money would be on some sort of deliverance style situation involving a few deep woods rednecks. Maybe it could explain where some of them wind up in the future, because you know there will be at least one surprise reveal of an adult who we assumed dead. Could totally see a situation where the Irish one willingly joins a hostile redneck society.

Wait what to the huh?

I’m not saying the first part isn’t true, it could be, but what evidence do we have? We know someone was around because cabins don’t generally emerge from the ground and we saw the dead body and there was the creepy glyph, so there being people around is highly possible, but I don’t remember anything pointing to it necessarily being true that they’re being watched. Like don’t get me wrong, hosed Up Hillbilly Cult Worshipping Dark Forest Gods is my working hypothesis as of right now, I’m just keeping an open mind as we get more information. So if you noticed something I didn’t, please tell me.

And literally no clue who you mean by “the Irish one”. Typo? Does Van have red hair? None of the characters really scream “Irish” to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

Oh I agree the first part is probably true but I really doubt a stranded starving teenager is going to successfully carry a pregnancy to term and keep a newborn alive in the Canadian wilderness in winter. And then the baby somehow gets left behind still alive

If this show ever gets its own thread I'm setting up a Hall of Shame post to showcase the dumbest theories I've seen.

Ahem :

It’s all a really weird spin-off of Friends. Chandler’s gonna hunt those girls for sport.

“Could you be any more murdered?

(Please someone make a thread.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edit : I am bad at tabs

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lol at affording rent in Greenwich Village like that. Not that the show is any better cause they’re right next to the drat park.

Also it always bothered me that Ross is a paleontologist at NYU when NYU doesn’t have any such department.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CeeJee posted:

Beforeigners season 2 started, by far my favourite Scandinavian time travel police procedural and this season it seems to be bloody Jack The Ripper as one of the main plotlines.

Season 1 was great and had one of my favourite twists ever when it was revealed Alfhildr had traveled back to the Viking age from modern times as a child and then came back here as an adult as both 'aha, this explains a lot what happened so far' and 'oh wow, this opens up a million new possibilities'.

Well holy loving poo poo. I’d never heard of this show, but that’s one hell of a pitch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m too lazy to scroll back, but to the person who talked about Beforeigners :

I just watched the first episode and I’m pretty well hooked. It’s really hard to say no to viking cop lady solving murder mysteries. drat!

But, does the translation available on HBOMax ever improve? My Norwegian is pretty minimal, but I can tell that what they’re translating is complicated and how they’re translating it isn’t, so I know a lot of content is getting lost.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O hey it’s Max Brooks’ alt.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I wish they did that book justice.

It doesn’t really jive as a narrative, but I’d be down for a faux documentary that kept the good parts but took an axe to the bad stuff like anything to do with anything in Asia.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Station Eleven.

It’s pretty drat bold in 2021 to make a show about a post-apocalypse caused by a pandemic where the survivors are fighting against a creepy death cult wearing the guise of evangelical Christianity.

But if you can deal with that whole thing, the first two episodes were really good, Mackenzie Davis can play the absolute gently caress out of some Hamlet and the props people are clearly having a lot of fun coming up with what the diegetic props people could scrounge in a hellish wasteland.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Only seen episode 1 so far but I liked it a lot. Nice that Patrick Somerville finally managed to make a great show after two interesting but very mixed attempts (Maniac and Made For Love)

Finished the available episodes and I’m cautiously optimistic so far.

It’s still doing that early show thing where it’s bopping around to get things set up, but I read the book an age ago so I know this actually has potential to go somewhere. Acting has been top notch and I like the not flashy shot composition that still is really good. Some lighting nerd behind the scenes is doing low key masterwork.

But it’s loving terrifying when people cough.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

isaboo posted:

Mackenzie Davis?

I'm in!

She is very, very good in it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

That scene in episode 2 where she’s performing while reliving the childhood memories…..fuckin fantastic

Also episode 3 was very Leftovers which makes sense as Somerville wrote for that show

I want to see the entire production of Hamlet with her doing that! They stopped right before she got to the big monologue!

(And she better be wearing that cape made out of down-coats the whole time. loving such good props and costumes.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Mackenzie Davis should be a much bigger star. She wasn't that bad in the Terminator movie either which is really hard to do.

Definitely need to watch it now. I love knives.

There are many, many knives and she is the owner of them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm perfectly happy with the idea of a new, mandolin-based music industry.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The overlap between negative reviews and "art is gay and dumb"-sentiments is fascinating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

The ones complaining it’s too woke are very confusing.

I hate IMDb we should burn it to the ground

I really, really want to know what their definition of "woke" is. I'm pretty drat sure I know the broad strokes of what their explanation is going to be, but I want to see them try and define it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Just watching station eleven s01e01
Not really spoilers but just in case
"what happens when your phone dies? Do you die?"
Also, there is a shot 18 mins in which I said out loud to nobody "that's good, that's real good" you know those moments when a pilot does something where you think yes, this is a show I will probably like? :)

Which shot? I had a couple of those that I really liked, although the top-tier stuff is actually in episodes 2 and 3 so far for me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Twilight Zone had a 16 year break from 03 to 19. Prior to that the show ended in 89 and restarted in 02, but there was a movie in there depending on how you count.

Also Doctor Who, if and however that counts.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Station Eleven continues to be pretty god drat good. Episode 4 wasn’t quite as great as the first 3 but still really solid, and just lost a couple points cause I personally find on character annoying. gently caress you, Alex

In awesome costume news, I would like a cape made out of golf gloves.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a great show. The tone of it is just perfect, I love the post-apocalyptic worldbuilding, amazing set and costuming, and I really appreciate these interspersed episodes focusing on backstories before/during the pandemic. I thought David Cross was really good in episode 4, too, especially in the few non-comedic scenes he had to do.

I am a bit confused at Enrico Colantoni in these latest two episodes, though.

I also thought David Cross was really good for what he had to do. It wasn’t exactly the deepest of deep characters, but he did surprisingly well with what he had. Profoundly wasn’t expecting that mini-golf thing at the end but somehow that of all things worked for me.

I just googled Enrico Colantoni and I have no memory of him on the show. Maybe I’m just being dense though. Where did you see him?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Just in case this is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the latest episodes, though it's not really a major spoiler: In the year 20 part, he's the guy on the bicycle inviting the theater to the Museum of Civilization. Then in the episode 5 flashback, he's the Italian boyfriend of Elizabeth who splits with the fake Homeland Security agent. It made me wonder whether that character will eventually return to the airport (since we now know it's the Museum of Civilization) or if not, why they had him play two roles who are both semi-connected through that storyline.

O word. Good call.

I’m not very familiar with the actor so I didn’t notice that connection. Could be something or it could just be funning around/filling out the cast.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

anyone watching station 11? it's got a certain shakespeare-based pretension to it, but kind of fun so far too? no idea where it's going.

I’m watching and loving it. The book was good and this has been in line.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

She bedknobbed his broomstick!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Did I mess something up that I can’t find the setting for, or does HBOMax really aggressively only want me to watch stuff in English?

I tried watching season 2 of Beforeigners and it won’t even give me the option to not watch in English, and anything from Ghibli it reverts to English if I pause for more than a minute or two. It’s really strange.

I set you to Japanese cause I like it that way! Stop fighting me!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s that vague tone of “drama” that doesn’t have a super easily definable sense. It’s not grim but it touches on serious topics, or it’ll be funny but it’s certainly not a comedy. It definitely has a tone but it’s enough of its own thing that I’m hesitant to say it’s like X or Y without being incredibly misleading.

Honestly, “post-apocalyptic character stories about art and humanity in adverse situations but not taking itself as bone serious as that sounds” should probably give you an idea.

Like, it’s after almost everyone in the world dies of hell-plague and they give that the gravity it deserves, but also in episode 2 a dude auditions for their wandering acting company by doing the Bill Pullman speech from Independence Day with swelling music and the whole deal so it’s not humorless.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m not picking up the LOST vibe even a little bit. Can you elaborate? The only things I can think of that they have in common is stuff like “more things are being revealed as the show progresses” and “episodes will center on different characters”, and they also share that with like Downton Abbey so it’s not much of a comparison.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You got an actual criticism or did you just come up with that line and want to use it?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alhazred posted:

It is a little annoying that they couldn't come up with Norwegian title for the show though.

Fremvandrerne. It’s a pun in Norwegian and once you get it, you hear them say it constantly for obvious reasons.

Another good Norwegian word I learned is Kongemorder “regicide”, literally “king murder”.

As to the Station Eleven disease chat (spoilered cause disease and not spoilers) : It’s certainly novel but it’s not like it’s the T virus or some other sci-fi weirdness. It’s a highly infectious disease with a long incubation period and a really debilitating but brief symptomatic stage. And the 1918 Influenza Epidemic was a solid chunk of the way to doing that and or, you know, the Plague. Things like the security guard dying could be someone who was infected for a long time but was feeling fine, then he starts getting worse and worse at his desk, maybe he falls asleep or something and by the time he’s really bad off no one’s around to help him.

Yeah, it’s an unlikely thing but it’s not exactly a giant blow to suspension of disbelief. And considering we’ve got entire multimedia franchises built around stuff like an alien who is also an ancient god gets in punch-fights with robots, I don’t think asking the audience to go along with the premise of “what if like a disease was really bad” is that big a demand.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Everyone is talking about Station Eleven but it's the last thing I want to watch. I don't understand how you can make a "happy" apocalypse show. We have all seen during this pandemic that people are selfish and will let mountains die for their own comforts. How the only people who matter to them are those they have known since childhood and everyone else can go die in a fire. Since I have none of the latter, none of this is relatable to me. What is the appeal, exactly? The delusion that you are one of the lucky few that will make it?

Where are you getting the idea that it’s happy? There’s a minority of good people sometimes doing good things among selfish assholes and a giant pile of dead people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

There have been some articles I’ve seen about how it’s more life-affirming than most post-apocalypse shows. Which I think is definitely true, but like….it’s still a post-apocalypse show.

Ah, the classic “I haven’t watched the show but I read a headline and ~*~imagined~*~” criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Catching up on Station Eleven (rocking new years woohoo) :

You know, at the beginning of episode 6 I was specifically thinking about how refreshing it was that Kirsten is a scary murder lady, but not like an over-blown kung-fu femme fatale. Then I watched the rest of the episode lol.

Ended up still working out really well and it’s not a complaint, but that juxtaposition was hilarious.