Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LionArcher posted:

Billions continues to be brilliant and underrated.

I don’t know. I like it as a guilty pleasure, but it is nothing more than that no matter how hard it tries to be prestige television. The Chuck vs. Axe is to the point that it is just annoying this many seasons in. Axe keeps getting worse, and now it is impossible to route for him no matter the situation. I was hoping they would try new things (they did for a season), but I guess they will circle that drain until it is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After all this time I still haven’t return to Hamilton after the intermission. Maybe one day?

Inside got robbed.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DrVenkman posted:

I guarantee you this thread is worth reading through.

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1443729354324779008?s=19

Marine veteran here (no combat, I served in 90's). Part of me wants to get pissed at her for doing this, but that whole situation is so absurd that I was laughing by the end of the thread. Also I have seen YouTube videos of other veterans confronting stolen valor people at places like a mall (some idiot wearing a uniform with medals and ribbons which they didn't earn). In most of the videos I ended up feeling slightly sorry for the person, because they need some mental help big time. I do wonder what the Venn diagram is between Trump supporters and stolen valor pretenders. That was well worth the read. People are insane.

Or am I really a Marine veteran? Maybe I just learn how to be a Marine by watching Generation Kill.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 1, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Heels great? Far from it for me. To me it is more on the level of when SoA was decent. To be honest one of my biggest issues with Heels is almost nothing feels organic, that everything feels pushed to be melodramatic. It is very soap operay. Also the acting is very hit and miss. Still it is fun show to watch and I do enjoy it (I haven't watched the most recent episode yet).

God if I have to hear that wife play one more awful song. I just want someone to take her guitar away and smash it into a 1,000 pieces.

Edit: In high school I dated a girl and her dad wrestled in several leagues like the one presented in Heels. I use to go to shows sometimes and random former big time wrestlers would be on the card (Dirty White Boy, Rock n Roll Express, Road Warriors, etc.). One cool thing is he use to wrestle in a league ran by Angelo Poffo, and I got to meet Randy Savage (Poffo is Randy's dad) when he came to town. That said in my limited experience with independent wrestling it is a lot more gritter than Heels is even coming close to. Heels glosses over a lot of the negative parts of it in their attempts to make it heart felt. Yes they do show bad stuff, but it is done in such a melodramatic way that it feels detached from reality (more like drama for the sake of having drama). Also Heels especially puts on rose colored glasses when it comes to fans and support in a small southern town. I know not everything needs to be as depressing as The Wrestler, but what is Heels is showing is almost a fantasy land for a small town independent league that never travels. Only reason I say this is I was hoping for something a little more real than what Heels is giving us.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 6, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

incoherent posted:

Is it just me or are there no HBO (cable HBO) level shows no mo'? Are we like in a weird slump or all the HBO prestige money going to more hbo max shows?

While several greats shows have been pointed out, I do believe there are no top tier dramas currently (unless I am forgetting one). Succession might be the closest, but when I say top tier I mean like Mad Men, The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos. No drama airing today is at that level. For me Halt & Catch Fire is the last drama that hit that level.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
In the defense of season 4 and 5 of The Expanse it does pretty much follow the books’ main storyline. Still I liked both of those seasons and I would take all The Expanse I can get, but it is telling that on my Expanse rewatch that I stopped on 3 (I will rewatch them before 6 tho).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Westworld is their flagship prestige show at the moment.

I think my post was confusing. I was talking about quality. For example Halt & Catch Fire was nowhere close to a flagship show (no one watched it), but it is the kind of A+ quality drama show we are missing right now. Even in season 1 Westworld was never on that top level of shows to me.

I guess my overall point is right now that is not a single drama airing that would end up in top 20 (just a guess, could be 50) dramas of all-time. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but from like 1999 to 2017 at times there were several shows airing that I would put in my top 20 (if not my top 10). I do agree there are tons of one offs that do reach that level of quality, but that is still not a true drama series.

Edit: After writing that I realized The Crown would get strong consideration from me, so I guess I am wrong. Also Succession is close and this new season could push it to the top tier for me. All subjective I know, but what else can it be.

Pillowpants posted:

Heels is garbage. I spent a significant amount of time at these small indy events because I had delusional friends who wanted to be the next Stone Cold and were willing to wreck their bodies for like $100 a week.

Like I said before I would call it SoA level guilty pleasure show. So I don' t think it is total garbage, and I actually like the ending.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 11, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

But have you watched everything?

I don't mean that to be glib either. The proliferation of content goes hand and hand with discoverability.

Have you plumbed the depths of HBO Max, Paramount+, AMC+, Peacock, Sundance, Netflix, Prime, Epix, Showtime, Starz AppleTV+ and sampled everything that's out there?

Also, when was the last time you went back and watched that show from 22 years ago that you would place in your top 20 or 50 dramas and watched it as the person you are today? Can you really be sure it would hold up or do you have a indelible impression of the worth of the show based on who and where you were in your own life at the time?

Above all else, realize that we're also 20 months into production chaos that has deferred or shutdown projects on top of multiple media conglomerate mergers that shape or torpedo things.

No I don't and you make a good point. To be honest I am relying on this thread, the internet as a whole, even critics, and my own knowledge to find TV shows. I am a sucker for year end list and I read them for things I might have missed. Might I still miss a few? Sure. Euphoria I still haven't made time to watch and My Brilliant Friend I never heard of you until this thread. I tell you what I didn't missed Patriot thanks to this thread.

Re-watching what I consider a top tier show? I am currently on season 5 of The Sopranos (my son is watching it for the first time), and I like it better than ever. The Wire (4 seasons only), Mad Men, most of Deadwood, and MASH are a few of my top tier shows I have re-watched. Still I get your point. I tried to watch The Shield for the first time like 15 years later and I couldn't do it. Also there are shows I loved like Six Feet Under (which I don't consider a top tier show, but I still loved it at the time) that I am pretty sure will not hold up on a re-watch.

Edit: Ok I will give War of Worlds a try too. I have heard of this version (on Epix), but I thought reaction was mixed. Still it should be right up alley either way.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 11, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think curation has become a huge issue, particularly thanks to the decline in good quality critical writing over the last few years. Either sites have been defunded and hollowed out (the av club particularly, but there are a few others) or because a lot of the "big" names in criticism (Emily Vanderwerff, Emily Nussbaum, Matt Zoller Seitz) have significantly decreased their output, for various reasons, with no real replacements apparent.

Like, look, the big cable production company that no one's talking about is BET (Queen Sugar, David Makes Man, a bunch of other shows), and that lack of discourse, plus lack of access, means that it's been easy for me to miss very large swathes of the kind of low-concept prestige family dramas (in the vein of Six Feet Under, Rectify, Survivor's Remorse* etc.) that used to be a bit more central to the discourse.

*I mean, even the line of shows I'm charting in this example indicates a decline in awareness. Six Feet Under, very well known, huge legacy reputation. Rectify, more obscure, but respectable. Survivor's Remorse ran for four seasons on Starz with barely any critical acknowledgement of its existence -- and we were just talking about Mike O'Malley's writing (Heels) the other day. I mean, things fall through the cracks, but still.

There's no centralised platform, or series of platforms, that helps collate, discuss or just concentrate focus on television criticism anymore. There's space for individual shows, sure, popular shows, sure, some flashy shows, sure. But not all shows.

The "Golden Age" of TV was defined just as much by criticism as it was by the quality of those shows as well; "Golden Age" was their term after all. Without them, TV is kinda something else.

Good post. I remember after watching an episode, that part of the process was going online to read critic's review and recap. Love or hate him, "What's Alan Watching" was constant read if he has following the show you was watching. Also with shows like BSG and Lost the first thing you did after an episode was hit up the forums to get thoughts and theories. You made me realized that I don't do that as much anymore. Instead I look at the initial reviews and that is all (of course they are not going to be able review everything). I think the last show I looked for an episode recap after every episode was Mad Med. I might have done it some with The Leftovers, but not as religious as I use to.

It is funny on my Sopranos and Mad Men re-watches I did read the recaps as I watched from the books that were released.

Qmass posted:

at some point in the near(ish) future there will have to be a show that gets into the top 10 or 20 all time and im just holding onto my but for that day because without one of those shows to fill that void, the endless just ok shows are becoming less palatable to me

I have been holding onto Better Call Saul for this exact reason.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 12, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Check out Halt & Catch Fire. Some people didn't like the first season (I did), but I do agree it gets better with every season. It is top tier to me. Does The Crown reach that level of being one of the all-time greats? It might be for me after thinking about it.

Also we all agree one offs are great like Haunting of Hill House and Chernobyl. Still comparing them to a show with 6 seasons is little like cheating. Lets see you repeat that another 40 episodes or so. I think limited series deserve their own category if voted on. If we did an all-time list for that my guess be Band of Brothers would win.

I know it is all subjective. I think The Sopranos is for sure in my current top 3 (with The Wire and Mad Men), but someone else likes Good Wife over The Sopranos which is hell of a hot take to me. It is my fear into my 40's I have become the unhip person who thinks everything was better back in the day. That said my 21 year old son did say to me after the Whitecaps episode of The Sopranos that he sees why this is considered one of the greatest shows of all-time. All he could talk about was the acting (especially Edie Falco) and how real it felt. So who knows.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 13, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this! posted:

Can't wait for that new Warner Media Platform fighter where I can finally find out who would win in a fight, Steven Universe or Rick Sanchez.

I want to see Paulie Walnuts make an appearance.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Daedo posted:

I think they're questioning who wants to watch a new season of Dexter after the absolute dumpster fire the last few seasons of that show became.

I will watch it despite hate watching the last few seasons. I mean how can you not be curious about this. At best it hits some of the highs of the early seasons, at the worst it is a train wreck that we can all watch together.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Despite my issues with it, I am down for a second season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

feedmyleg posted:

What are some shows that nail the feeling of a classic pulpy men's action paperback? Hap and Leonard comes to mind, and I'm eyeing Quarry.

Quarry captures the pulpiness of the books it is based on, but it also feels higher quality than those books. That is mainly due to the great performances and it never feels cheesy like some pulpy stuff can. I really liked Logan Marshall-Green (poor man’s Tom Hardy) in it, but the real standout is Damon Herriman as a gay hit man. Also if you are a fan of For All Mankind I let you notice an actress who is in both. I am still pissed they cancel it.

Edit: Also despite being only one season it does have enough closure to stand alone as almost as a miniseries.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 6, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes Quarry transcends it’s source material in a way that makes it less pulpy that the source. There are a whole series of books about the main character. The releases have some great pulp covers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I posted more a little more in depth in the series watching thread, but I just want to post here since someone in this thread said War of the Worlds was prestige TV. I strongly disagree (I am halfway into season 2). The show is lifeless and in 2021 no show should ever handle teenagers this badly. It doesn't hold up at all to current sci-fi shows like The Expanse or For All Mankind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Showtime has another winning show with Yellowjackets

Holy poo poo

Synopsis

drat that is a good cast. I have loved Melanie Lynskey since Heavenly Creatures (I have no idea what happen to the other main actress. I guess she quit acting) and I am always down to check her work out. Adding it to the list.

We are going from nothing to watch, to almost too much to watch again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The new Dexter was fine, but it really wasn't that good either. The whole episode just felt dated in everyway possible. How many fake-outs is an episode of TV allowed? Also a big drop in quality when it comes to the supporting cast. To be honest despite what nostalgia tells us, Dexter was never great TV anyway. Yes it was fun and it was great to see Michael Hall as Dexter after him playing David Fisher for so long. I know season 4 is suppose to be peak Dexter (which I did enjoy overall), but for me the show peaked in season 2 with Doakes and Lila. If this was a new series I would drop it after that episode (of course I will keep watching it). Also that was some really bad CGI for that deer.

Looten Plunder posted:

Yellowstone came back this week with a bang. That opening episode was insane.

Fun show!

The first 5 or so minutes were just insane. Lets hit the ground a 100 miles an hour. Part of me still feels like I need to point out what is wrong with the show, but I have a great time watching it. It is Dallas on steroids and it does that well. The biggest negative is how stupid the streaming rights to it are. One would think that Paramount's most popular show would be on Paramount+, but of course that is a big no. I guess Peacock has a streaming rights deal for the show, but they can't stream it until like 4 months after the season finale. I ended up buying the season pass on iTunes since I don't have cable (which I guess speaks to how much I enjoy the show) .

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Oh I know some people who think the first 4 season of Dexter were great. I haven't watched any Dexter since it originally aired (I did stick with it), but it was always B level entertainment to me. GoT? After everything I still consider it a really good TV show. It did something shows like Dexter never did, it was put together seasons that I would consider as a whole as great TV. Yes some lovely seasons later on and the last season was a mess, but it reached highs that a lot series never come close to. I know some people haven't moved on (the Daenerys fans especially) , but I am to the point I can look back at it fondly if I consider the show as whole. LOST was another show that became a public target for mockery after the finale, but I feel like with time that has really died down. It is because LOST was great overall and the finale really wasn't bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

So Yellowstone isn't worth checking further into? Kelly Reilly being stupidly evil was one of the few redeeming factors of True Detective season 2, and I was tempted despite the Wes Bentley of it all.

Again I like it, just don't go in thinking you are going to get a prestige drama. Think old-school primetime soaps like Dallas or Dynasty, but turn the insanity factor up by the power of 10. I would put in on par with something like SoA I guess (which of course Taylor acted in). Also Kelly Reilly might the most on '10' person in the whole series. She tries to devour every scene she is in.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Party Down revival is official. Who knows how it'll turn out character and story wise but that was a ridiculous cast at the time so I'm sure it'll be worth it for a few more great episodes.

I did check and the only cast member not coming back is Lizzy Caplan due to scheduling conflicts. I think Lizzy is great, but having the other 6 is going to make it easy not to miss her.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok my wife just sent me this (she found it on Reddit) and I am not sure if it has been posted on here. If you have never seen the television interview with the 'yo-yo pro' watch it , the guy is a real energy vampire.

https://vimeo.com/11156270

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 16, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chairman Capone posted:

When he got cast on The Office, it really blew me away. I think it's the first time someone I discovered on the internet had crossed over into mainstream entertainment.

That being said, I think the role that's the most similar to his yo-yo guy energy is his fictional version of himself in On Cinema.

I never heard of On Cinema, but I am adding it to my list (looks to be a web series right?).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife watched it and from what I’ve seen no it isn’t worth watching at all.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Counterpoint the War of the World series is pretty blah overall due to some bad writing (characters make the stupidest decisions) and some of the worst teenage characters in recent memory. I haven’t finished season 2 because it got pretty painful to watch. I’m still debating to finish it or not because I do find some interesting ideas in the show. My wife likes it slightly better than me, but she agrees the 2 lead teenage characters are just awful to watch.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 21, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would love to see For All Mankind win too, but it will be hard to derail Succession. Yellowjackets would be a second choice, but of course kind of hard to judge with season still going on.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m sorry but Billons is trash in comparison to Succession. I say that as a fan of Billons (although it is long in the tooth with the Chuck vs Axelrod bullshit) and someone who has issues with Succession.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Oh Billions does idolize capitalism in the end. It does it best to make Axe to look like a rock star and even if you are team Chuck, he still has a firm foot in capitalism and his own self interest. Also everyone in Billons is pretty much a bad person one way or the other too.

That said Billons and Succession are completely different shows with the only common factor being they deal with wealth. Billions for sure is an easier show to watch, because it is goofy and it is more in line with a typical TV show. Succession does this thing where it feels more grounded in reality while being so outrageous at the same time that you feel like no way people are like this in the real world. I can see why that turns some people off.

I do believe despite my love for Succession it is not true prestige TV. It doesn’t reach the level of shows Mad Men or The Leftovers. Still it is many times more interesting than the typical show that Billions tries to spoon feed it’s audience (let’s sprinkle in some bondage so we can feel edgy).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Funny my main concern with Succession is the same issue I am having with Billions. With Billions the Chuck vs Axe thing gets old after awhile, and they are so invested in that story that you know the outcome of this episode or even a whole season doesn't really matter in the end. They got to keep that story rolling until the series finale. With Succession it feels stuck, that it invested so much in Kendall vs Logan, that it doesn't know where to go. To be clear that doesn't mean we don't get some great TV out of it, and the last episode was amazing and I do feel like we are finally getting movement. Still where does it go from here? I am curious to see what happens in season finale which should dictate the direction of the next season. I do see a direction they could go to refresh it some (Kendall needs a really big win that is truly a big win), but so far most of this season has felt like the same arch of season 1.

Shageletic posted:

But then again I can't think of alot that matches up to Mad Men.

True but I guess goes back to a discussion we had earlier about how they are no dramas airing currently that are truly at that top level of prestige TV (or are we just to spoiled by the golden age of HBO/AMC that it is harder for a show to reach that level?). I would argue possibly The Crown comes close, and the other show I would guess that is close is Better Call Saul (which I haven't watch at all, but I plan to before the final season) from what I heard.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

Eh. No one really cares when Rob Zombie does it or when Wes Anderson uses the same people a bunch.

3 words: Sheri Moon Zombie

That said no issues with Mike using the same people.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Succession finale might be the best episode of TV I watched in years. I avoided calling Succession prestige television, but that episode ranks up there with some of the best episodes of Mad Men.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Google Butt posted:

I'm of the opinion that the new season of the expanse kinda sucks so far

On it's own I think this season has been fine, but on the other hand the short episodes on top of a short season is sort of bullshit. I've read book 6, and I assumed before watching the first 2 episodes the what happen in episode 2 would have happened in the first half hour of episode 1. Still I am going to reserve judgement until the season is over. Also I am fine with season 4 and 5. I know doesn't hit the peaks of season 3, but it is better than no Expanse. Also the decline is more related to adapting the books, because books 4 to 6 are nowhere as good as the first 3 books storyline wise.