Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Is FX's Legion worth getting back in to? I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it but I think I recall that the quality jumped all over the place in later episodes.
I know there were a lot of responses and differing opinions already given but, as one of the people who wrote too many words about the show in its thread as it aired, I would be remiss if I didn't throw you my two cents.

Don't care about the plot. Don't care about the characters. If you can do that, watch it and you'll love it.

It's an extremely entertaining experience. Season 2 tries to get wacky while holding onto a thread the whole way through but doesn't manage to find its footing along the way. Season 3 just plain goes wacky and refuses to care about footing at all. Do not care about the plot; there are multiple threads that just fray away into nothing or are resolved in uninspired, unfulfilling, frustrating, convoluted, and astonishingly stupid ways. Do not care about the characters: they'll perform stupid actions, say stupid words, and fail to understand what logic, empathy, loyalty, mental illness, and intelligence are. While it aired, there were some audience theories that were outright desperate to pull the narrative in different directions which, at the end of the day, were never proven or disproven by the completion of the series. Don't bother theorizing as you watch, you're probably wrong and it likely won't get answered.

And sadly, there's nothing that tops Season 1's Bolero scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4
Which I still consider one of the best scenes in television history.

Otherwise it is an audio-visual feast. Most of the best bits already got posted here as YouTube clips so, uh, hope you didn't watch those. Noah Hawley makes it obvious that he'd rather be directing music videos than TV shows. Plenty of the set pieces are gorgeously inspired in their creation. There's a stand-alone episode that could make you cry. All the acting is exactly as good as it needs to be, which is why the actions being acted out could make you yell at your screen; you believe they exist enough that it pisses you off when they do dumb poo poo. The cinematography is appropriately odd, the musical choices are on point, and, mild non-plot spoiler, Jon Hamm does some narration that is supremely excellent. Let us know what you think as you watch it! I'd lurk this thread more just for that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 15, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh batman dont eat pussy

it's canon

https://twitter.com/DC_Animated/status/1404609612150542339

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’m loving Raised By Wolves but lol at the rapist going super saiyan after getting Android blood in his head. incredible costume design on that guy though
Oh my GOD I had the same exact problem and when I began questioning it I was like "...but wait... why do I accept everything else going on?!" and just shrugged it off. That show is wild as gently caress and I can't wait for more.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Farouk is the protagonist. Change my mind.
Protagonists don't enslave, rape, and murder innocent people. The only real protagonist on that show was literally no one.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sekhmnet posted:

Happy Endings is incredibly rewatchable; it does get a little sillier in the 3rd season but I still love it. Max's momentary deer in headlights reaction to Penny and Alex wearing wig helmets is amazing.

Oh wow, I did not expect to see Flight of the Conchord's hair helmet taken to the next level.

Escobarbarian posted:

e: also the use of Horizon Zero Dawn footage was really really weird
Yeah it's actually super strange seeing the video game footage take a departure from Ubisoft owned properties and into poo poo that Ubisoft definitely doesn't own including Horizon: Zero Dawn, Diablo 3, and whatever game this came from:

It actually took me out of the show a bit, including other missed jokes like the fact they separately named their expansions Zeus and Hera, the fact Zeus showed zero gameplay, and the fact Hera was just trying to be Second Life (which for anyone who used to play Second Life got a chuckle out of the line "it's impossible.") It feels like the writers and editors are dropping the ball on some really good wink and nod jokes in favor of just pushing the dramatic aspect. I don't know why I want simple references like "what's with the greek god naming trend?" or "Zeus didn't show any gameplay other than the inventory screen" or "It's not impossible, Second Life did it!" but it'd sure make the show feel more like it knew the context it was portraying instead of slowly listing off into becoming the next Silicon Valley.

Either that or I just really want the show to subtly acknowledge that it knows what it's doing when it's showing us footage from real video game as a stand-in for their own game.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 18, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

How'd Reno 911 end up?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I liked tonight's R&M. The crotch swinging reminded me of that Gorillaz music video.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pfft looking forward to those Succession numbers when that returns.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't want to watch this show but this is adorably real.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gonz posted:

On the Blacklist, one of Red’s enemies shot Elizabeth Keen through the loving heart before she could find out who Red is, and immediately prior to the central conceit of the show about to be revealed to her.

Goddamn bullshit is what it is.
I stopped watching when they made it apparent that not only was (I guess old spoilers if you ever want to watch the show) the show not willing to keep Liz dead the first time they killed her off but they were also unwilling to return to the fantastic format it had in the first couple seasons. I find it hilarious that they're killing her again. Did they actually reveal the conceit?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Azhais posted:

The first time they killed her off the following two episodes were some of the most horrible lovely episodes of TV I'd seen in a long time, and I basically said if they're gonna make me sit through those episodes she better be dead. I haven't watched since, did anything interesting happen in the interim?
Up until I stopped watching? No.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

God I cannot wait. One of my life's ultimate disappointments is the fact that my biggest TV watching buddy dislikes this show so I can't gush about it with him.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'll admit that I watched the first episode last year and, despite loving the creators, found Wellington Paranormal to be... lacking... in some respect. Maybe it gets better but that first episode didn't grab me enough to watch the rest.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Well, news on the Dexter front his sister is back within his head for the series
Get Masuka and Doakes in there and we've got a stew goin.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I watched Black Widow on Monday and after doing so the first thing out of my mouth was "Jeez, Yelena (Florence Pugh) kinda stole the whole movie, huh?" A friend then reminded me that this film is supposed to be the hand-off of the Black Widow title from ScarJo to Pugh so, yeah, makes sense.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 15, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

You ever go watch something from your childhood and then realize you forgot you were haunted by a question for years only to now be haunted by it again? That has happened to me and I felt the need to share it with someone so how about this thread?
I mentioned the old game show "Debt" in another thread and decided to go watch a little bit and reminisce about the old times. I was getting through the title sequence when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7CSDgwKMc&t=20s

"Let's meet today's contestants," says Wink Martindale. But wait... something is off here... I don't remember him saying the word "contestants." Oh jeez, am I having a Mandela effect moment? Hold up, let's check out the same sequence but from a later season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1EUUL4YVc&t=22s

I knew it! At some point, Wink started saying, "Let's meet today's contestaaiiii." But... what the gently caress is a contesti? That's not the plural of the word contestant. In fact, it's not even a word at all. What's going on here?!

And now I am re-haunted by the question, why did he change to saying contesti, a word that isn't even real?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

43, and I concur. Between The Rocketeer, Career Opportunities, and Dark City a few years later (where she is arguably even MORE beautiful), she was one of my two '90s celebrity crushes. And she's still glorious on Snowpiercer today, even when she isn't all glammed up.
Agreed, especially on the Snowpiercer part. Sometimes I like to think she would've been the best Trinity for The Matrix.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

So, the second episode of this week's What We Do In the Shadows was a tour de force performance from Kayvan Novak.
My friend and I were watching and we just assumed he was being dubbed with the first voice but then with the second one my friend goes "there's something off with this guy's dubbing..." and I'm like "uhh... maybe this actor is just a phenomenon" so we looked it up and were floored by what we discovered. How does a talent like this exist?
Because this talent is the motherfucker who did the Doovde skit from decades ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBHukn8Qm8
Spoiler for episode 1 of the new season: Yes, the VCR joke is a loving callback to the Doovde skit.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Enterprise theme is unironically good.
I used to think this but with the depressingly awful state of current Trek, I watched Enterprise for the first time with a Twitch streamer friend cuz it was on Watch Parties and... after about half a season, the Enterprise theme actually gets good. And then when they change it in season 3 it's just permanently bad. It's the funniest turn of events in television theme song history.

Also it's wild how Enterprise went from "awful, will not watch" to "kinda hilariously bad but also really good" thanks to Alex Kurtzman being a complete idiot and ruining Star Trek via Discovery and Picard.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

End of an era.
I don’t know what they’re gonna replace it with
An hour of some combination of 12 oz Mouse, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Sealab, Harvey Birdman, and Superjail would be solid.
Fake Edit: I just guessed that they weren't already airing these quality shows, went to check the schedule, and nailed every single one. Only addition I'd make (cuz I assumed it was still on) is Metalocalypse.
gently caress it, add Frisky Dingo while you're at it. BOOSH!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

I haven't played it (is it even out?) but his performance in the latest Far Cry game looks super fun.
It's not out yet but yes, he may be the main reason to even play the game... kinda like all the other games since 3.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It warms my heart a bit to see the outpouring of love for Norm, I always thought of him as more of a niche comedian.
I know plenty of people who don't think he's funny but they all respected his hustle and are respecting his passing as well.

To me, he was, and will probably for the rest of my life be, the funniest comedian ever. I got to see him a few times front row when he was at his best. He gave me a wink when I shouted out a funny answer to a question he was, of course, asking rhetorically. I also got to see him when he was at his worst, hopped up on bennies so bad he had mush mouth. Not even the Red Bull helped that night. He did some "take a photo" stuff after a show one time and instead of doing the usual "get it over with" stuff celebrities do, he wasn't paying any attention to the guy taking our picture and just wanted to talk to me. He said I reminded him of Edward Norton. I'll always remember him as the guy who would make David Letterman, probably my second favorite comedian, laugh hard enough to choke.

Okay I didn't mean to make this a eulogy but I'm gonna miss the guy. gently caress.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If Kim and Jimmy don't end up together and happy I'm going to personally kick Vince Gilligans rear end.
Better get your rear end kicking shoes on then..

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I still have no idea how the hell they made 26 episode Star Trek seasons in the 90s.
If you can find some cast interviews on YouTube, you'll hear every once in a while that they'd work 18 hour days. Unions kinda make TNG an impossibility nowadays.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Foundation is so loving dry and that’ll appeal to a certain set of sci-fi fan but I’m definitely struggling with it. I did like the stuff with Empire in the third episode, but then the Terminus stuff was sooooo dull.

In other news….

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1444876179203244032?s=21

100% agreed about Foundation. Everything that isn't Terminus? Fantastic! Everything that is Terminus? Yawn! Hopefully we get the lady shoving her face into the Vault next episode but uhh... the absence of Jared Harris this third episode is felt deeply.

As for Sepinwall's new take on Succession, that's a massive win for me. One of my very good friends who shares many TV tastes with me unfortunately cannot bring himself to enjoy Succession for essentially the same reasons Sepinwall couldn't. Not only that, but he is a die hard Sepinwall enthusiast, watching anything that Alan watches. I'm excited to see if this changes his mind.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 4, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Some of us haven't read the books.
Neither have I. They show this in the final scene of the first episode. I'll spoiler it anyway.
Also I was exaggerating what is shown in the scene for comedic effect.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 4, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope your friend does start watching Succession also
When I showed him the article he said he ended up watching the show because his wife dragged him into it. He describes his enjoyment as a "love/hate relationship" because he still doesn't like watching shows about Rich People Problems but he likes everything else about the show.

I'm so hype for the new season... I hope it's 100% done so I don't get a mid-season strike break on my hands.
This makes me super happy. Every time I see Mike doing something in Hollywood it brings a smile to my face. Love him in Snowpiercer as well. Though I wonder if him being a showrunner for Heels means he'll take less roles elsewhere and (Snowpiercer spoiler) means that he won't be waking up from the fridge in Snowpiercer... or was the reason why he entered it in the first place.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm just gonna say it, Better call Saul is the best TV Drama of all time, and people will be studying it decades from now
I dunno. You're probably right, there's tons about that show that deserves praise and study but, for me, something hung over Season 4 in a way that made me feel ill watching it. In the same way Justified had the Ava in prison story, there's a chunk of Saul that bothers me. We don't have to get into it here and I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in the respective thread but it boiled down to Saul's inability to deal with the end of the previous season in a timely and satisfying manner. I always felt like his relationship with Chuck was missing some spectacularly important piece and even when that piece got filled, it was emptied again when Season 4 rolled along and Saul refused to acknowledge an elephant in the room.

Mind you, I 100% understand why they did it the way they did it and I'll never fault them for it, the opinion is purely on my expectations of what I want out of the television I want. That particular point is just a sore spot for me, is all.

Now I kinda wanna dig up my old posts to remember my thoughts on the matter.

In any case, it's still probably the best TV Drama of all time because if you asked me to name a TV Drama that was perfect from start to end, I probably couldn't.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Foundation was renewed for season 2...... apparently in November of 2019.
Neat. Hopefully that means the rather dull 3rd and 4th episode aren't going to be the rest of the freaking season.

Gaius Marius posted:

As was Jimmy letting go of his grief when he realized Howard was destroyed by Chucks death, Jimmy was emotionally distraught as he thought he was the only one who cared enough to actually help Chuck, even as chuck held him back and tried to destroy him. When he realizes Howard also cared enough, he didn't have to carry that, imo unwarranted, burden any longer.
This is the complete opposite of how I read this particular scene. To me, the weight of grief on Jimmy wasn't lifted until the end of the season. And our differing views on this are exactly why this show needs to be studied for decades to come! :)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 8, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like this post is kind of ambiguous -- are you talking big budget blow outs like Game of Thrones/Westworld, or something more like The Wire/The Sopranos/Deadwood?
Was about to post asking the same thing. HBO has Raised by Wolves, Disney's got a couple Marvel shows and the Mandalorian as their big budget tentpoles, FX has Fargo, TNT has Snowpiercer, and HBO has (as mentioned earlier) Barry and Succession if you want some drama. Amazon's got The Expanse and The Boys carrying it forward into the LotR show era we're going to enter into soon while AppleTV+ has Foundation.

Plenty of good TV out there depending on the angle you want. Unless you mean "worldwide phenomena spawning watch parties and thousand page thread discussion" which, well, no. I don't think that will come again for a while.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Even though I know it will be funny, I still can't watch those videos because of how cringe they are.
Just letting you know you are not alone in this. Once I realized it was just the energy vampire being an energy vampire as a prank on local news channels I had to shut it off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Foundation is also tedious. They've done a really annoying thing twice now where an episode ends on something interesting and then the next episode completely ignores it. This entire season feels like it's stretched out bullshit.
I've literally told friends "Just watch the first two episodes and then stop and I'll let you know if it ever gets better." I'm on board just cuz I like pretty space opera but boy is it hard to recommend it to anybody at this point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

What the hell is up with November. Here is all the poo poo I want to watch that starts

Dexter
Trek: Discovery
Wheel of Time
Dr Who
Riverdale
Cowboy Bebop
Hawkeye

And then December has The Expanse and Witcher.

gently caress.
I just wanna thank you for this post. I've been waiting for half of these and needed to add them to a very special list. :) I had actually looked at my calendar earlier today and after Succession didn't have anything to watch until March (Orville) so I felt like I was missing something.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Just to clear some air about the new Dexter season: It's being run by the guy who did the first 4 seasons (the good ones... and 3) and, as far as I have read, is supposed to be a "redo" for "the end of the series." As in, this is the final season.

Edit: I just read that Michael C Hall, as of August, doesn't know 100% if there won't be more.

At least they're going in with a self-awareness of how badly the original series ended. That's, apparently, the entire reason they came back to it. I'm certainly curious to see what that does.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I had to look it up... this is hilarious. Dude never ran any shows before or after those 3, just producer and writing roles on very few others. I was going to comment on how television poison lasts that long but he's had so few gigs, I almost feel sorry for the guy.

He really needs to find a different job.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm still really surprised that there was no Star Wars character in Kingdom Hearts. Back in 2012 I was absolutely sure we'd see that within a year or two.
I'm 99% certain that Kingdom Hearts was always supposed to be just a Disney game and the only reason it crossed over with anything else was because that was the only way the creator could convince Square execs to go through with the project.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I watched the new Dexter.
It wasn't bad!
The best part about it is that, because they're in the wintry New York (filmed in random Massachusetts locations, though,) Michael C Hall no longer has his lovely spray-on orange tan and most of the lighting outdoors has a nice "outside the Matrix" blue shade.
There are a couple moments in the episode that are "laugh when you're not supposed to" but I think they did a decent job of hitting the mark on "serious vs goofy" that was lost after season 4.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Arist posted:

Anyway, yes, the death of Osama bin Laden was kind of a huge deal in American culture back when it happened, in a way that frankly feels completely surreal nowadays
Not as surreal as being in elementary school and stopping class to watch the OJ Simpson verdict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Now that Foundation is over, would anyone recommend watching it? I know it's gotten mixed reviews. I feel asleep during the first 2 eps when they premiered. :(
The twists don't pay off, the high points are primarily really cool looking CG, the screen writing is ultra-sloppy, and the really decent bits are too few and far between to recommend. They completely under-utilize Jared Harris and I will state again that the amount they actually have him on set vs the amount they used his name for advertising is worthy of false advertising litigation.
Watch episode 1 to see something awesome and leave it at that.