Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

It sounds like it was written by an "aspiring rap battle star". Almost on purpose? What show even is that

It's this one:

Hizawk posted:

Ginny and Georgia is a really fun and clever show.

Only three episodes in, but I'm super hooked and all the characters are very interesting and seem to have some serious depth.

I gave it a go based on that post. It's sort of like a contemporary Gilmour Girls but replace "super-privileged background" with "chequered past" - at least that's what I think the show is going for based on the Gilmour Girls reference in the pilot. I'm enjoying it and although I haven't got to that bit yet none of the teen dialogue has caused me to want to stop watching; some of it is even quite funny. I've though "nobody talks like that" a few times but then, I'm in my 40s in the UK and as such I have absolutely no idea how teenagers here, nevermind ones in the US, speak. So maybe they do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Because I want them to get picked up by another network for a 2nd season:

Everybody watch Jett. Then tell everyone you know who likes excellent crime/heist shows to also watch Jett. Then everyone they know will tell... etc.

Everybody watch Jett.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1376534824219897862

Of these guys I would probably pick Ewan McGregor to play Obi Wan

Shame. Idris Elba would have been perfect for the role.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

He better not watch Memento...

Edit: ah well poo poo. That's what I get for posting before reading the article

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 30, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

All the Witcher had to do was put a date or a "20 years later" thing at the bottom of the screen like almost every other show that features time jumps does and all would have been well. I'm still baffled why they didn't.

Sure, if you're paying super close attention and/or are familiar with the source material you can pick up what's happening but come on, the obvious reality is that very few casual Netflix viewers fall into that category. Wherever the line is between having respect for your viewers intelligence and making your story reasonably easy to follow, the Witcher was just shy of falling on the right side of it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Because they knew that people would be able to pick it up without a card. Which most did. It's not giving 'hints' like a big mystery, it's just not telling you outright either. There's nothing wrong with not bludgeoning the audience over the head at all times.

Some did. Enough didn't that it became a very common criticism that could easily have been avoided. Putting "20 years later" at the bottom of the screen for a couple of seconds when needed is not "bludgeoning the audience" and would not have detracted at all from the overall experience of watching The Witcher for anyone, whether they had already cottoned on or not. Not doing so did detract from the experience for a not-insignificant number of people, enough that we're still bringing it up today when the topic of unneeded time jumps comes up. I had to point it out to a couple of my friends that each character arc was taking place decades apart, after which they stopped getting confused as to the timeline of events and were able to enjoy it. Had I not read (most of) the first short story book I probably would have been the same. None of us are slavering morons unable to put 2 and 2 together - we're slavering morons for different reasons - it's just that we're just used to certain conventions being used to indicate when time jumps are occuring that were not being used here.

Nothing to lose if you do, something to lose if you don't, and they chose not to. Baffling.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started a rewatch of Deep Space Nine. When I first watched it was probably over a decade ago and I remember liking it well enough that it has cemented itself in my brain as The Best Star Trek.

I'm only a little way into the first season but I don't remember the acting being this stilted. The scenes with Ben Sisko and his dead wife are particularly bad, but there are loads of other examples of scenes where it literally seems like I'm watching people read lines from a script in a non-human way.

I'm hoping it's a case of they get much better in subsequent seasons and that is what I'm remembering. It's not all bad - I like almost any scene with Odo in it and weirdly Quark - I remember disliking his character previously but I like him now because he feels more like a real person than a lot of them. Maybe I've gotten too used to contemporary shows like The Orville where people talk a lot more "normally" and as a result shows from last century have become dated. I'm still enjoying it - I barely remember any of the individual episodes so each one still has an element of surprise to it - but I have to sustain a lot more disbelief to look past the unnatural dialogue.

For reference, I enjoyed Pickard, and Discovery, despite their flaws. I love Lower Decks and can't wait for more of that. I just want a modern series based on a space station like Bab5 or DS9 with massive 20+ episode seasons and epic story arcs that last for a multitude of years... and good acting.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

swickles posted:

Just watch all the DS9 episodes with Garak if you are trying to shortcut the series.

Oh I'm not trying to cut out any of these episodes, I'm gonna watch each and every one of these motherfuckers over the next 4 to 6 months or so.

I did Garaks introductory episode the other day, where he "befriends" Bashir. The whole thing played off like he was trying to physically seduce the guy. Nothing wrong with that of course, and I would entertain the notion that this was intended except for the fact that TV in the early 90s wasn't quite there yet. So I dunno what to make of that.

Then there's the scenes with Keiko and the kids in her school. Like seriously was this poo poo written and directed by interns?

Anyway whatever I'm aware that there is a thread for this, but I don't really want to go there and poo poo that up I just wanted to vent my random thoughts to anyone that can be bothered to read them. I'm still enjoying deep space 9 despite everything! And in my life I'll take that as a good thing 🙂. Can't wait for more Orville though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Anyone else watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix? I had never heard of it before, but it looks promising so far. A bit fantasy steampunky.

I'm probably going to yeah.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alright I'm starting that tonight.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

We found a show on netflix called "Crazyhead". I normally skip over stuff with stupid names like that, but man I am glad I didn't. It's funny as gently caress. Im on like the third episode and still laughing my rear end off. Do I still have an rear end? I think it ran off.

I just started this and ten minutes in it's done two things that get it a black mark for me:

1) Starts with someone capturing, tying up, squatting over and pissing on her best friend -record scratch betcha wondering how I got here... Three Days Earlier. Now we can start at the beginning. Like, it's not the pissing thing - that was funny - just start at the damned beginning of your story.
2) Use of the extremely original choice of soundtrack Where is My Mind. I ranted a bit about that recently so enough said.

I'll keep watching because I can't judge something off of ten minutes. Not a great start though.

E: The awkward bedroom scene in the second episode was pretty hilarious.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 28, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My first taste of serialized TV was watching Ghost Castle and The Boy from Space in school. The Boy from Space was seriously creepy to child me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Put Jett on there, of all the shows I ploughed through the last year that was my favourite.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Checkovs rule is bollocks, not every gun has to fire.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

It's not about every gun having to fire, it's a metaphor about properly anticipating and managing audience expectations.

It just leads to predictability. Something is shown early on. It could be innocuous just like in real life, but because we're watching a scripted thing produced in a universre where Checkov said that thing, we all know it's going to feature later on. Sure enough it does, and we all predicted it, and that isn't satisfying anymore.

It's ok that the main character is a cartographer, and that a big deal is made of that... She surely thought it was a big deal because hell, she just devoted the last 4 years of her life getting that qualification! The portrayal of it being a big deal is her POV. Then she gets into the next thing she does and her qualification doesn't end up meaning poo poo.

That's actually pretty realistic imo. gently caress checkov and his "everything you show has to pay off in the third act" poo poo. No, it actually doesn't, that isn't how reality works at all, and if you're trying to tell stories based even tangentially on how reality works, you'll acknowledge that sometimes poo poo just comes up once, doesn't really mean anything, and never comes up again after that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean I doubt that Netflix YA series Shadow and Bone is as good at that as like Sopranos or something though

well obviously. I haven't even sat down and watched it yet, I'm just ranting generally about the whole checkov's gun trope and how I don't think it has a place in modern storytelling anymore.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Finally started Shadow and Bone and lmao the baddie literally has a twirly moustache. I've a feeling this is going to be one of those ones that I enjoy, but I'm never going to be sure if that enjoyment is ironic or not.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:lol: that someone made a furry apocalypse show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-UkWWnb2g

Hm. I'll wait for reviews, but good concept and I love me some Neill.

e: also, I had no idea Edlund wrote for Supernatural. I've been meaning to check that out since I love me some Scooby-Doo (though hate procedurals). That might be enough to push me over the edge.

God if I never see another representation of humanity through a shot of that zebra crossing in Tokyo it'll be too soon.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Holy poo poo, this Mandy Patinkin plot of The Good Fight loving went places.

Has anyone else been watching this season? Best season since the second, it's been absolutely fantastic.

I still want to finish the good wife but I can't for the life of me remember where I was up to. It was pretty far , I think I only had a season or three to go.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Glad I accidentally waited to watch Mythic quest until after all this *checks notes, sorts scandal column by most recent* Blizzard poo poo came out, because it certainly adds some spicy context to episode four.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm currently binging Brand New Cherry Flavour while under the influence of magic mushrooms and holy poo poo Rosa Salazar sells every single scene she's in. It's pretty incredible. I've never seen anyone regret putting a stop to the practice of throwing up kittens so convincingly.

You can click that spoiler if you're maybe considering watching this, it'll give you a pretty good indication of the tone of the thing. I still have no earthly notion of where this is going.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Also that rotoscoped show Undone.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've seen Rosa Salazar's actual face.

A face that makes you think of kittens.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

For some reason it's really funny to me that she was in sequel entries of both the Maze Runner and Divergent series. Hopefully between Alita and Brand New Cherry Flavor she's gotten her big break.

Looking up her wiki entry and I completely forgot she was in both Bird Box and episodes of both Comedy Bang Bang and Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories.

She's my new "well, if she's in it I'll definitely give it a watch regardless" person.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah man, you fight that good fight.

Does having finished The Good Wife add anything to this show or can I just jump right in and not lose out on anything?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm in the mood for more bananas after cherry flavour.

Ed. That's a drat good sentence that I'm glad I'm able to say about TV shows.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the animated Witcher movie and have to say, a little too much child murder for my tastes.

I haven't seen it yet but I take it you're referring to a trial of the grasses scene? Before I ask, I just want to say regardless of your answer that it is, of course, perfectly fine and normal to find any amount of child murder too much. That said: Was it done well or was it really edgy and gratuitous? I just want to know what tone to expect going in.

For reference, in my opinion a show that portrays uncomfortable material in a "good" way would be The Americans, and a show that portrays uncomfortable material in a "bad" way would be late season Game of Thrones.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok thanks, good to know. I don't mind gratuitous violence per se, but I do sometimes feel a bit icky, or cringey, when I'm watching something like that where it's obvious the people making it are enjoying getting to be all edgy a little too much.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm halfway through the pilot episode of For All Mankind and is it supposed to be this infuriating? The Americans are such a bunch of pathetic whiny sore losers it's embarassing to watch, and finding out that it all could've been avoided if they had not ignored the advice of one of the female techs because she was "out of her lane" makes it extra-schadenfreudey because the only conclusion I can reach right now at this early stage is that they deserve every single loss.

Obviously my question is rhetorical - of course it's shot in a way to cause maximum frustration; instead of being overjoyed that mankind has reached a huge milestone and celebrating the fact, all they can do is be miserable that it wasn't "their tribe" that did it first. I sense this is going to be a recurring theme throughout the whole show. I like it because it's a really interesting premise to me, but my god I hate every single character I've seen so far that has had any significant amount of dialogue/screentime, with the exception of the lady that was "out of her lane."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I can imagine all the writers and actors reading all 14 books going what the gently caress.

I think I got through four or five of the books before falling off it. I remember it being pretty good overall, but cursed with loads of padding and filler. The battle scenes in particular I thought were really inventive and well-articulated. Can't wait to see this put to screen.

One of my last memories was (early-to-mid-ish-series spoiler) The main character Rand and one of his three love interests whose name I forget accidentally ended up teleporting to some ice-cave by accident or something, and to keep warm they ended up shagging of course because this is an epic fantasy book after all, and then she regretted it immediately and wanted to pretend it never happened.. I was listening to the audio version and was pretty depressed at that time in my life so that probably coloured my impressions of it. I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I read it now.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeet

Came here to post this. Omar was one of the highlights of the wire. I feel sad.