Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

On episode 3 of the new Disenchantment season now, and yeah... it's just... yeah. I was really hoping things would turn around, but it's clearly past the point where that could happen.

yeah i was really disappointed. having read that the first two "seasons" had been produced together in one big block and this was actually the start of a "new" season gave me hope that essentially they'd be able to punch up what would be any other show's weird season one. instead we got just a lot of boring meandering aimless plot with no jokes, and abbi jacobson just monologuing to herself. eric andre and john dimaggio are completely wasted on that show

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lister posted:

I think it does work as something to have on in the background while you're doing something else. I'd say you'd be missing out on story if you don't pay attention but the over-arcing plot is glacial for some reason.

it feels like they came up with the cliffhanger ending for the season first and then went "ok now we just need to stall for 9 and a half episodes".

edit: thinking about it's pretty heinous how when you get right down to it season 3 ends with all the characters in nearly the same situation as the end of season 1 cliffhanger lol

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 19, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dear Watson posted:

As soon as I saw him I knew my relationship with Mandy was on the rocks

i was more annoyed when orange lady bib fortuna showed up and i was obviously supposed to be doing the rich evans at-st dance over this character i had never seen before or heard of

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are their commentaries listenable without having the movie running alongside them? i've assumed no up until this point so i've never bothered

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hot poo poo, what is this from, i've never seen it before

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sober jack is still better than any form of josh trying to elaborate on why meredith monk’s turtle dreams is a cinematic masterpiece

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrew Verse posted:

But the Mandalorian hasn't ended, there's more to come.
like when you're taking an especially big dump and the first turd is firm and solid but the rest is a semiliquid slurry

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

I assumed that they were just joking about Patton coming back (and giving an excuse to play that clip of him again). It would be cool to get him back for another episode, but it seems unlikely to happen while we're still in the middle of the pandemic.

this was my impression but also mike delivered it pretty deadpan instead of playing it up for yuks like other times patton's been mentioned so he could've been serious?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So to what extent do we believe that their review of Promising Young Woman was legitimate?

Did they believe what they were saying or did they see that one reviewer get absolutely roasted and cancelled for what wasn't even mild criticism and they adjusted accordingly?

The movie was unfathomably bad on almost every level and I was looking forward to an honest assessment from RLM but their channel is their careers and livelihoods now and I think they know what would have happened if they did not tow the line, here.

if they were trying to cover their asses over giving the movie a bad review why would mike literally on camera mention this very point out loud about what he was thinking going into watching and reviewing the movie

or did you not watch the review and just show up in this thread you've never posted in before just to stir up poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Randarkman posted:

How is that? It's so weird to me.

they hated ghostbusters 2016 because they're sexist and they hated the last jedi because they're basement dwelling manchildren

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I had just expected better from RLM.

I was looking forward to literally anyone talking honestly about how abysmally bad the movie was and I was hoping it'd be them. But I guess not.

Whether or not they're protecting their livelihoods or they actually believe what they say. Either is a frustrating disappointment.

fly away troll

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Strabo4 posted:

Shut up, sleeveless.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh. well i guess i can't totally rule out you replying to your own parachute though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sounds like someone's in the pocket of big woman

someone's been keeping up on the resident evil 8 news i see

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Let's recap!

Me this morning:

drat I can't believe they gave such an okay-ish review to such a dogshit movie. I like those guys at RLM and aside from a few missteps they usually nail it. What a disappointment!

I wonder to what extent the current climate around this movie may have contributed? Maybe it didn't at all? But Dennis Harvey didn't even give a bad review so much as he failed to gush about it like everyone else and he not only experienced professional retaliation but he had Carey Mulligan herself going after him.

I wonder if the RLM guys own history of being unfairly targeted for being on the wrong side of social issues contributed to what felt like a softball review where they seemed to be walking on eggshells the entire time? I mean. Their channel is their business and livelihood and they must be aware of what's been going on around this movie and with social media websites in general these days.

But I donno maybe they really are just straight shooters who actually did kind of like the movie!

What do you think?

-----

You guys for several pages:

Get the gently caress out you idiot. You moron incel huffing and puffing at his computer. Your best friends from Milwaukee had a different opinion than you? You must be devastated! Why don't you beat it you gamergater incel conspiracy theorist.

-----

I don't really post here as some of you have noted but that just seems nuts. Are you all okay? This does not seem healthy and was a weird thing to come home to after being out at work and doing chores all day.

gently caress off

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow i never thought about it but ledger was the next guy to play a live action joker after nicholson

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's the one that's like deviantart: the cartoon, right

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you think you get up in the morning thinking "yep, today's the day i bully a woman for being pregnant" or you just sort of drift into it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what i'm hearing is firstborn can fit a 3.5" floppy in his rear end

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess if anyone thought it still would be necessary to have a beard in this day and age it would be the guy who idolizes the rat pack and essentially writes musical numbers as a form of self-insert fanfic with them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's been a known quantity for a while now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cause you like to investigate turds

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

didn't mike say he liked the orville

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eva's Green bazongas

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it does

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

that mortal kombat movie looks low rent as gently caress

isn't that why people like them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

the original movie(s) had the low budget charm that the big studio CGI fueled movie that looks kinda cheap but is actually still a massively expensive project won't have.

the distinction between honest-to-goodness endless trash and corporate-imitation endless trash is lost on me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Klowner posted:

I haven't seen the film in years so I didn't know I hadn't seen this footage before. I was waiting for the punchline where someone edits in some anime or dubs something over to make a lame joke... anticipation which slowly gave way to horror, oh my God this is real what the gently caress

it does seem like prime real estate for either the curb your enthusiasm theme to cue up as the necklace hits the water, or a cut to an always sunny title card with "the gang murders a 90 year old lady"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mallratcal posted:

The only good thing from the 3D MK era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

something i've never been able to figure out about this clip, are we supposed to understand what the karate man is yelling or is it just supposed to be a random gibberish "kung fu yell" thing

cause they use it twice in a row as a canned sound effect

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel like chronologically is always going to trump everything else because there's plenty of contemporaneous jokes and running gags that continue independent of what "show" they're on

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

coincidentally i was googling up a gif of the hotshot scene from the opening of this for, reasons, not too long ago, and one of the top results was a reddit post or something asking "why did he do that in the beginning of the movie instead of just using a bullet" and then there was a 300 page discussion of why it was more practical or not for him to use an incendiary round and no one just loving said "they wanted a cool and gross special effect of the guys head melting for the movie you idiot"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why did i as a single goon suddenly feel compelled to run in here and defend the mechanical separation of fecal matter and legumes using mastication

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mozi posted:

was the climactic fight between two people wielding Juiceros in a WeWork office?

bond now has a watch that only plays quibi shows

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

James Bond on a train entranced by the golden arm show on Quibi

:getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can we just somehow embed an mp3 of Mike imitating the bunny death scream as the thread subtitle that's got my vote

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Someone at work said that the “grief is love persisting” line was so great that if it was in anything other than Marvel it would win awards.

Lol

oh to be as blissfully ignorant as a stupid, stupid normie

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's harder to fit an ebook up your butt because tablets are hard to bend

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't listen to podcasts and work at the same time, all that happens is i get no work done and also i don't know what's happening in the podcast

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

As for the other bit, you will need:

A Usenet Account (pay by the month or buy a block of data to use whenever) - say ten bucks a month for unlimited monthly downloads of files from up to ten years back.
A Usenet Indexer - Somewhere you can search for a title, download an NZB file and that fille will tell your NZB program where to find the relevant files on your Usenet Account - Maybe ten bucks a year
An Install of SABNZBD - this will take an offered NZB file and download all the relevant Usenet files, fix any errors if possible, unzip all the files and spit them out in a determined location folder - preferably inside your PLEX 'Movies' folder so PLEX can see the new files, go off and grab the metadata and automatically add it to your library.

That's the basics, but also:

An install of SONARR - Tell this app what movies you would like to see, in what quality etc and it will periodically poll your Indexer, find the NZB for you and pass it to your SABNZBD app to do its thing, all hands off.
An install of RADARR - Exactly the same but for TV series.

I'm p. sure SONARR & RADARR will also work with a torrents as the download source but I have not tried that side of the tech tree.

I have a small linux-based 4-bay NAS with 16tb of space in it that also runs all of the above, apart from the occasional tech hiccup (which to be honest you would have had trouble figuring if you didn't do at least part-time computer touching) it just sits there and does everything I ask it. I bought a PLEX Pass lifetime license when they had it on cheap a couple years back, and I can watch / record live tv via a tuner (not very often I admit) and also it unlocks PLEX stats and messaging from the server, getting a ping on my phone when an old weird hard-to-find movie I've had sat in my SONARR queue for over a year suddenly drops in to my PLEX is fairly :cool:

I bet you could put the 3 apps above here on a Raspberry Pi and just point it at an external HD in an enclosure for the storage.

ah! so simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why in the name of gently caress would you share an account

back in the day it was really weird to have to pay $10 for something on the internet (and in the present day even weirder if that thing is a forums account, tbh) and a lot of people didn't want to do it