Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mayo in deviled eggs is like tuna salad where you are adding the mayo to get the texture (chunky, creamy, gel) that you want. you might be able to get away with 0 mayo, a little bit of olive oil, and more mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

people with rolling backpacks in middle/high school were dorks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i know i've said it before but i'm probably just getting tools from harbor freight until the end of time. the chinese figured out steel like 5 years ago and plastic is plastic. i'm not blowing 30 bucks on made in america pliers, especially when that premium probably just goes to line the executives' pockets.

off on a different tangent i'm reading hard boiled wonderland by murakami. dudes got some wild prose about women. almost half way thru.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hope the priority is just that, a priority. i don't know these people, i can't talk to them much less convince them, nor do i really have any faith in the government or media to convince them either. it sucks that that's probably going to impede the first goal of protecting the retirement homes and hospitals but if they want to get a move on with progressing towards herd immunity, then i'll take the vaccine.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do the major streaming services like Disney+ and Hulu have any in-built mechanism that make screensharing not work?

Like if I streamed the mando, and screen shared with zoom or google hangouts, would that work for a communal viewing?

If not, what's the cheapest and best way to have a synched movie viewing experience?

yeah, hdcp

you would have to pirate it first

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the blue alien they're talking about is lilo? or stitch, whichever? why would you want them at your funeral even if you are a insane disney fan?

if you google "disney alien" it looks like it's either that or the alien toys from toy story which do wear blue. i don't know which is worse though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

paying ten grand to have elastigirl ground pound me into the earth

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I want you to know that I am really loving mad I immediately recognized this tire

was that loomer?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

General Dog posted:

I’m not typically one for doomsaying, but I fear that 10 or 20 years from now none of this is going to seem very remarkable compared to what followed.

oh word

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Intelligent toilet sounds awful

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the 3d indiana jones games kinda sucked

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

steelcase is probably your best bet on craigslist because aeron is all people can think of when prompted to name an office chair. i have a think, it's great because the fabric unclips and you can hose it down. the market is probably hosed now but i paid $125 for mine probably 5 years ago.

the best part is if you're handy they publish detailed instructions so you can buy parts and take it apart and grease it up and usually the amazon ones are sealed up or naturally rust/bend or otherwise degrade within a few years.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Guze posted:

Putting cars and trucks in a tunnel does not stop them from generating toxic gasses.

he's pushing a ferry thing that moves your car via an electric skate thru the tunnel

but yes, really stupid and moreso with the geology

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's wild that side loading washers still suck after like... 10? 20? years on the market. i looked at one when my uncle was getting a fridge and the big development was a built in thing to prop the door open after washing so mold wouldn't grow

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Wait what’s a side loading dishwasher? I googled it and all I could find was what looked like regular dishwashers.

clothes washer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

swickles posted:

Good, although that explains why they aren't hiring you for 60 days. Beauracracy is a motherfucker.

Some peon: "hey, there is a literal pandemic going on, shouldn't we expedite all the healthcare licenses to get as many workers as possible"
Some (probably R) state rep/sen/gov: "No, that would cost like an extra $300k and wpuld only save a couple thousand lives, not worth it...."

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1351081395293138945

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think if i had to create a clean room drill i'd just put a regular drill in a plastic bag and slip a silicone grommet over the drill bit and zip tie the bag to the grommet. spray it down with alcohol or iodine or whatever.

walla

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Intruder posted:

The vertical space between each step is ridiculous

it looks more like you're supposed to use the storage as steps

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speaking of modding games a huge Fallout New Vegas mod that involved dozens of devs and 7 years to make finally came out and the lead dev was outed as a pedophile and there is creepy sex stuff all over it. And now the whole team has exploded and that’s the end.

ehh... 'all over' is not really true. it's not really a fun mod though, the ncr campaign is this weird call of duty/army hero movie thing where it's just not really a fallout game. apparently the other factions are better but i'm not going to start over a bad game just to see if it's not a turd.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

favorite nic cage moment is the opening scene of wild at heart

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ehud posted:

My sister in law is starting to ask my wife baby shower questions. The plan is to do something in April. My wife has been hoping that the pandemic would he more under control in time for the shower, but that's not going to happen. She is asking me what I think would be safe.

A traditional baby shower is obviously a non starter. Have you guys come across any good, safe ideas for stuff like this during the pandemic that aren't just a zoom call?

So far I'm thinking:

- Outdoors in a park
- Masks required
- Have a very small group that hangs out with my wife the whole time (her mom and sisters)
- Drop in style. Stagger the attendance of other guests and have people only hang out for like 10-15 mins at a time. The other option would be drive-by style where people just hang out in their car which would enforce the social distancing.
- Any snacks are individually wrapped

The other option would be to do a hybrid where we have the small group with my wife and we do the rest on zoom.

I'm tying to figure out something that will be safe but still fun for my wife :sigh: Any other thoughts?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

60 miles is 100 km

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmfao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Nevada is drawing up legislation for the creation of Company Towns.

https://twitter.com/peterhemminger/status/1357735095503777792?s=20

there's probably nothing stopping amazon or whatever to take advantage of that but i don't get why they're expecting a solar/blockchain/internet of things town to spring up and be useful to anyone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

General Dog posted:

Just spitballin I guess. They have plenty of space, I know that.

I guess when the mob came down and set up shop a few decades ago it ended up being a net positive for the state; now you bait the techno-libertarians and just see what happens.

yeah but they didn't have to build the roads and plumbing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

saguaros are trees

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you put a rock in the king cake. the winner doesn't break their teeth

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Does anyone else see "small businesses dying" as a straw man? I feel like the majority of cases is the pandemic speeding up the timeline on a business that would have failed anyway because the owners are terrible.

a lot of small businesses are run by assholes so yeah i see it that way too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

on the dog walk i heard a car with a godawful sounding tire. complete the loop and it's maybe a quarter of a mile further with the tread and half the sidewall gone. dont know what they were expecting

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the nanny

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_oK01DB15w

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's a funny summation of internet edgelords

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd be worried about corrosion. idk how pros would approach it but i'd spray it with some baking soda water and then go over it with a carpet cleaner. maybe you can easily remove the carpet and insulation and hose all that down

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I don't own 75% of those items lol

do you just borrow your wife's tools then?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GD_American posted:

Mother Jones had this decently researched, but overreaching piece on the move away from gas stoves in new construction.

https://www.motherjones.com/environ...e=pocket-newtab

I kind of laughed at the whole "America was fooled into thinking gas cooks better", which somehow doesn't mention the entire restaurant industry that also apparently got fooled too

quote:

Shelly Miller, a University of Colorado, Boulder, environmental engineer who has studied indoor air quality for decades, explains that household gas combustion is essentially the same as in a car. “Cooking,” she adds, “is the number one way you’re polluting your home. It is causing respiratory and cardiovascular health problems; it can exacerbate flu and asthma and COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease] in children.” Without ventilation, “you’re basically living in this toxic soup.”

The industry also claims that proper ventilation mitigates some of the risks of cooking with gas. That’s true, but mostly impractical: Many American families can’t afford to install an exhaust hood, a chimney-like vent that sucks up the emissions and releases them outside, and there’s certainly no regulation requiring it. Instead, most homes just have fans above the stove that recirculate the polluted air inside the home, or nothing at all. Because of dated building codes and the unregulated market, low-income Americans have to put up with gas filling their homes with invisible pollutants in cramped spaces.

the author doesn't seem to get that cooking regardless of energy source is bad for you.

restaurants depend on a lot more power than home cooking so they might be different but if manufacturers could build a legitimate professional/semi-professional electric range that wasn't a glass top or the iron spiral thing i'd switch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Wouldn't there need to be a serious moisture issue to get icicles like that indoors? I lived somewhere with an uninsulated garage and we'd have icicles on the gutter and nothing in the garage. It was a little warmer in there than outside, but it'd get and stay below freezing for over a day.

it looks like there's a leak, there's paint/plaster damage

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is it really that much less insulation? Cooling costs a lot too. It’s probably that a lot don’t have enough heating for something like this. Although that doesn’t matter when your power is off.

AC is more efficient and heat rises. It looks like the new build insulation recommendations are way more than I remember though, and basically all over is R30-60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

swamp coolers are basically a sheet metal toilet you bolt on your roof. sure you can winterize it but that's the frame of mind you work with here