Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sub Rosa posted:

Nice! How was the texture? Mostly that's where the concern would lie if you forget to bloom the gelatin.

There were some little thicker gelatin-y globs, but only at the bottom. Most of it was nice and smooth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

So, should I cook, or should I find scum?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rhymes With Clue posted:

So, should I cook, or should I find scum?

If you have to ask...

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I'm good with voting clue

##vote clue

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Hal Insandenza posted:

If you have to ask...

You multitaskers.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Idle Amalgam posted:

I'm good with voting clue

##vote clue

This works if you're scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lol yeah I'm good to switch

##vote Clue

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
What was that post clue....?

I’m not changing my vote just yet. I’d like to reread and I’m currently trapped running hospital related errands. Hopefully I’m back home significantly before deadline.

I also might try to post something not worth points, in the name of friendship and mafia. Please put me in a mason.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Oh why can't I make any friends? Only enemies here, sigh.

"If you are playing mafia to make friends, you have already made a terrible mistake." --some internet poker site

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Sorry been mega busy tonight with the boy.

Just because you are scum doesn’t mean we can’t all be friends clue, also don’t stop posting food

##vote clue

Anyway I’m off to bed

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

None of you guys are getting any of my points!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I mean of course, those who voted for me. Someone will get them.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Alright, made the Steak Diane!

Got the ingredients: sirloin, werster sauce, brandy, shallots

Pounded the sirloin, dry-brined it, and put it in the fridge.

After some time, I put butter chunk #1 into the pan on medium-high.

Put the steaks in after peppering them...

Then flipped them over after 2.5-ish minutes, cooking them to medium rare.

Took the steaks out, then shallots, butter chunk #2, and werster sauce.

yowza

Sauteed some spinach as a side with garlic and oil and soy sauce...

And done! Served with rice since I had some leftover from lunch. It was really tasty! Not pictured: knife to cut steak

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Nice. How long does it flame? Do you have to put it out or does it just fade away?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Nice. How long does it flame? Do you have to put it out or does it just fade away?

Depends on how much alcohol you put in. I put in a shot's worth and it flamed for around 30 seconds before fading away.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##vote clue

I don't want your points anyway

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Mason mason mason.

Also: it looks like clue is at -1 & I don’t wish to hammer, but it does seem like discussion has died down. I don’t think my merk case is strong enough to get anywhere/do any convincing of people who don’t already agree and or find them sus.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Referee's Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

Ingredients:
wine to drink while making
Zucchini spirals using the OXO zucchini spiral thing that is like $6
heavy cream (2 cups)
garlic (3 cloves)
white pepper (whatever)
parmesan (a lot, make sure to spill most on floor)
mozzarella (some)
chicken in an instant pot with chicken broth to keep them moist
olive oil
butter (3 tbsp)

melt butter in pan with olive oil
add garlic, cook for 1 minute
add pepper
add heavy cream, bring to simmer
add parmesan, simmer for 7m and stir frequently
add mozzarella, cook until melted while constantly stirring

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The only thing I'd have done differently is take the zucchini out of the refrigerator way earlier so the spirals are room temperature.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote clue who cares

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Rhymes With Clue (6): CapitalistPig, Idle Amalgam, Bifauxnen, ObamaAkbar., Hal Insandenza, merk
merk (2): Sandwolf, Scientastic
Idle Amalgam (1): Scientastic, Rhymes With Clue, Scientastic
Scientastic (0): Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam
Sandwolf (0): merk, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, merk

Not Voting (1): GenericGirlName

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 29th, 2021 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 hours, 2 minutes.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue Town-Aligned Chili has been executed D2. You have until 10PM EST to get any last minute spice purchases, any spices bought after 10PM will not be available for use until D2.
The thread stays open at night, both cooking and game related chat is acceptable.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue's Chili

This is based on a prize-winning chili recipe. I have never made it the same way twice but it’s a road map and it’s always good. No special tools required. All spices are dried but if you happen to have fresh oregano or whatever use 3x as much of the fresh stuff.

Equipment: Dutch oven or 3-quart saucepan, measuring spoons. It’s all done on the stovetop.

3 lbs. beef chuck, cut up in 1” cubes or even a little smaller
1 cup onion (small onion, half an onion)
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon marjoram
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
¾ cup beer
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce

Brown meat and onions together until most of the red is gone.
Add spices, beer, broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and cook, partly covered, until meat is very tender, 1½ to two hours.

There is a further step here that I have never done, which is at the end to sprinkle 1½ teaspoons of sugar over the stew and stir it in. I don’t think this chili needs sugar so I don’t do that. Put it in a bowl and eat it. Accompanied with grated cheese, flour tortillas, corn tortillas, corn muffins, biscuits...

Rhymes With Clue's Chili is worth 25 points

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Midnight Snack

Finally able to desktop post this awful food item. It was not worth the wait. This is a meal I make for my roommate pretty often at approx midnight when we've been drinking. I made it a few days ago to immortalize it in this thread.

Step 1: Boil some water. We have a small pot thats the perfect size for ramen, so I try to use that one if possible.

Step 2: Add miso paste to the boiling water. I usually have individual packets on it around. This one had a little packet of scallions and such in addition, so I used that too!

Step 3: Add a teaspoon(?) of sesame oil to the concoction. If it's not boiling again after the miso paste and toppings, wait until it boils and then add some scrambled egg to the broth. Egg drop is the goal here...

Step 4: when it looks egg-droppy enough, submerge your cellophane noodles. Its important the egg "finish" cooking before you add the cellophane or it kinda absorbs into the noodles and becomes unpleasant.

Finished!! I think it looks AWFUL but honestly it tastes fine, I just dislike cellophane noodles. Peep the steam on this image!!!!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

:ghost: Opop's Vincent Price's Steak Diane

After pounding

The store had a really sorry bunch of shallots. Good luck getting four tablespoons out of that. And I like a lot of shallots in things like this. Adds texture.

Cleaning my kitchen with fire! This one lasted almost a minute. Really went much better than the bananas foster fire.

I guess you need to add a picture of the plate. With mashed taters and spinach.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Your food looks good clue, and I know the last photo is blurry/streaky but I want it framed

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Made some alfredo yesterday, Minifauxnen was keen to help with the chicken part at least :3: Brush on that butter!

She got bored of stirring though, so I had to finish things up myself. Lots of different stuff going here, I gotta get some veggies into this kid so I wilted some spinach to go with it and then sauteed some mushrooms.

The flavour of this parmesan brand I got was too strong for Mini, so I added more milk and butter till it passed a taste test.

Ooh that chicken's looking good, gave it a rest while I finished the mushrooms and pasta. Time to cut up one of these and get this all plated!

Mini also decided she doesn't like mushrooms anymore, so I had those while she got the spinach. Also she gets the Frozen 2 plate cause she likes that one better while I get the Frozen 1 plate cause I think the first movie is far superior.

The pasta is a curly fettuccine that looked more fun than the regular kind. Mini wanted to dig right in and wouldn't wait to let me frame the photo more carefully. :cheeky:

This was a nice Saturday project but hoo boy I have still got a lot of cleanup to do. Good thing there's enough leftovers that Sunday dinner is already sorted!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rhymes With Clue posted:

:ghost: Opop's Vincent Price's Steak Diane

After pounding

The store had a really sorry bunch of shallots. Good luck getting four tablespoons out of that. And I like a lot of shallots in things like this. Adds texture.

Cleaning my kitchen with fire! This one lasted almost a minute. Really went much better than the bananas foster fire.

I guess you need to add a picture of the plate. With mashed taters and spinach.

I am glad you still posted your food, you are good people clue

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Yeah sorry for murdering you

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grandicap posted:

Sub Rosa's Panna Cotta

You’ll see from my mise en place that I decided to take this in a slightly different direction...

Beetroot
Yoghurt
Goats cheese
Double cream
Horseradish
Gelatin
Chives
Serrano ham

Before I did anything, I sprinkled the gelatin into some water to bloom

Then I brought the cream to a scald and threw in the chopped up goats cheese, whisking until it melted

Once it was all incorporated, I whisked in the gelatin, a few spoonfuls of yoghurt and chopped chives, and put in the fridge to set

While this was setting, I sliced the serrano ham into very thin strips and tied them into knots

I baked these at 180C for about 15 minutes until they were crispy and delicious

Next I roasted the beets, blitzed them with some horseradish and pushed them through a sieve

Now, I was ready to make the starter for date night!

First, beetroot purée:

Next, a quenelle of panna cotta:

Then a crispy knot of serrano ham:

And a close-up:

They were great, earthy beetroot, gelled goaty cheese and crispy smoky crunchiness. A perfect amuse bouche.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
That looks loving amazing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

goddamnit that looks so good

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

That looks loving amazing.

:ghost: I agree

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Holy crap that's awesome. The description is also awesome drat

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

My mouth is watering goddamn

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It wouldn’t be date night without a main course...

Rib roast
Leeks
Potatoes
Greens
Mushrooms
Brandy
Cream
Mustard

I sous vided the steaks for 2h at 54C

While they were sous viding, I did a lot of things that I didn’t photograph:

I sliced the leeks into 1cm rounds: the centre of each round, I chopped and set aside, the rings I battered and deep fried.

I fried the sliced mushrooms and finely chopped leek innards in butter and set aside.

I stewed the greens, boiled and riced the potatoes, mixing in butter and a dash of cream

Then, when the steaks were done, I browned them in the mushroom/leek pan.

Then I put some brandy in this pan.

After I checked if I still had eyebrows, I stirred the mushrooms and some cream into the reduced brandy

I couldn’t think of a decent way of plating, so I just went with my standard 80s technique: chefs ring and sauce around the outside

Chefs ring off, slices of steak on, topped with leek rings

Close-up

Date night achieved!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

What's this, you wake up to two empty plates on the table.

Bifauxnen Scum-Aligned Fairy Bread has been eaten Night 2.
merk Town-Aligned 25-minute Risotto has been eaten Night 2.

Day 3 Starts Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Not Voting (7): CapitalistPig, GenericGirlName, Hal Insandenza, Idle Amalgam, ObamaAkbar., Sandwolf, Scientastic

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.