Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Referee posted:

How many actual players are we shooting for here?

11-15, based on the interest, definitely 11 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Grandicap posted:

11-15, based on the interest, definitely 11 though.

Okay. You can move me from observer to player and I’ll give it my best shot then to help get us going.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Referee posted:

Okay. You can move me from observer to player and I’ll give it my best shot then to help get us going.

Huzzah!

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
I will be watching this closely. If I was capable of joining, I would as I love to cook.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I will do the thing

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will come back for this one game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I will come back for this one game.

"one game" is all it takes friend. Soon you will be hooked again

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Insandenza posted:

"one game" is all it takes friend. Soon you will be hooked again

Maybe right. I rescind my sign up. Have fun!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

merk posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I want to beat merk simultaneously at mafia and cooking

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

What!?! Noooooo don’t leave!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

Please play, merk :)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, I will play. But if I sign up for a second game, I blame Hal.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

fair, IMO

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

Welcome aboard merk. Join the discord and we can get underway.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Posting in thread so you can find me on votefinder!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Awesome, we'll start either this evening or tomorrow. Please either PM me your recipes or send them to me in discord.
Take a look at the second post for more information on the Spice Rack.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cookfia D1 Starting Recipe

Grandicap's Bacon and Egg Sandwich

Ingredients
Eggs
Bacon
Thinly Sliced Bread
Chives

Tools
Immersion Circulator
Skillet
Spatula
Bowls

Steps
1) Set your immersion Circulator to 147 degrees Farenheit. Once it comes up to temp, add your eggs. You should use 2-3 per serving, depending on the size of your bread.
2) Cook your eggs for 2 hours.

3) Once two hours are elapsed, remove your eggs from the water, they will be hot, but should be cool enough to handle. Have two bowls ready. One filled with a couple of inches of cool water.
4) Crack each egg into the first bowl, you will have runny, unset whites, and solid, jammy yolks. You will be able to fish out the yolks, put them in the second bowl and run your fingers over them to clean off as much of the white as you can. They should be of the consistancy to not pop when you handle them, so you don't have to be too careful here.
If there is too much white floating in the bowl, you can change out the water, but the water is just there to keep the egg yolks from drying out.

These can stay in the fridge for several days and can be prepared in advance.

5) Take some bread and thinly slice it. Then trim the edges off, you want rectangles that will fit 2-3 egg yolks in a straight line. so like 1 inch by 2-3 inches worked well for me.

6) Cook off some bacon, 1 strip of bacon is more than enough for 2 sandwiches worth.

7) Dice some chives and then assemble your mise en place.

8) Dredge one side of a slice of your bread in the bacon fat, carefully place 2-3 yolks on the bread, take your other piece of bread and get one side of it covered in the bacon grease too, and place it grease side up on top of your yolks.
9) Cook for about 1 minute on each face over medium high heat, just to get your bread toasted.
10) Place a generous heap of chopped bacon and diced chives over your finished sandwich, and enjoy.

It was so good and rich. You definitely needed the salt from the bacon to cut through the richness of the egg yolks.
I then used my leftover ingredients and made one that was less fancily plated, but still tasted very, vey good. I took the end of my loaf, toasted it off with some bacon grease, then slit it down the center and put the eggs in my bread basked, and sprinkled chives and bacon on it. The bread ratio was completely different, so it was less rich feeling. But very very good.

Grandicap's Bacon and Egg Sandwich is worth 30 points.

(You can make any egg sandwich you do not have to follow my ridiculous preparation, but it was delicious and worth it if you have the equipment.)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

It is now D1. Deadline will be Monday 1/25 @ 10PM EST.

If you have not submitted me your recipe, you do not have your starting spice.

Game starts now.

The first post will always have a link to all active recipes. The second post will always be the spice rack. Use discord to purchase, combine, and use spices.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): Bifauxnen, CapitalistPig, GenericGirlName, Hal Insandenza, Idle Amalgam, merk, ObamaAkbar., Referee, Retro Futurist, Rhymes With Clue, Sandwolf, Scientastic

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 25th, 2021 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 3 days, 8 hours.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

What the hell is an immersion circulator

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was going to do some sous vide but I didn't want to use something most people don't have. I see how it is now

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

My egg and bacon sandwich will be fried eggs I’m afraid lmao

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Well, I know what I'm making tonight.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I like that the effects of the spices aren't hidden this round.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I can never think about sous vide without thinking of Ray Smuckles keeping something cooking for like five days because that's the first time I ever learned sous vide was a thing that existed

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What the gently caress is an immersion circulator

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ObamaAkbar. posted:

lmao

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Sandwolf posted:

An immersion circulator, also known as a sous vide or a tepid puddle machine, is a cooking gadget that holds a water bath at a precise temperature. It's basically a thermometer, a heating element and a fan to keep the water moving and at exactly the temperature you want. So for my eggs, I wanted a temperature of 147o, because that is the final temp I wanted the eggs to reach. This means it is really difficult to overcook things because the temperature of the cooking medium it the target temperature for what you are cooking. The downside is that it takes a while, because the heat is exactly where you want it, rather than hotter.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

did you just say tepid puddle machine

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Also what wizardry is this where the yokes are cooked before the whites

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a fancy slow-cooker that let's you make things that are completely fine but look like they're going to give everyone food poisoning

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Tepid puddle sounds extremely appetising

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Retro Futurist posted:

It's a fancy slow-cooker that let's you make things that are completely fine but look like they're going to give everyone food poisoning

Wow I am smacking my lips with hunger

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was absolutely going to get my immersion circulator out, I am disappointed at having my thunder stolen

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Wow I am smacking my lips with hunger

In doing so it also makes the tenderest meats you've ever had so it balances out

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sandwolf posted:

##Vote Sandwolf

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I do not have a tepid puddle machine either. Not sure I would consider 147degrees tepid.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Scientastic posted:

##Vote Sandwolf

Solidarity with my basic bro ##vote Scientastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

That looked like a pretty good sammich though.