Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've seen this exact rhetoric on this very website and it's incredibly frustrating to see.

There was no way in hell I would have trusted a vaccine on Trump's say-so. Once Fauci gave it his blessing (and I watched a guest lecture he gave on the virus), then I changed my view immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, so the dam is illegal immigration, what does the water represent that's being held back by illegal immigration?

Legal immigration, including refugees and those who are applying for amnesty. Trump had closed them down, thus strengthening illegal immigration, while Biden is offering an alternative and much more effective path. AGC.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Here’s the real Ben you’ve all been waiting for:

Not even backing the Strong Daddy Party. The love affair is over.

It's funny, usually the lovey-dovey stuff to one of the enemies is supposed to be a bad thing, but this is showing Biden's wife being in love with him? I'm not sure what exactly that's supposed to convey that is bad; you'd think that having a wife who is loving and supportive would be a good thing. Maybe after watching Trump for so long, he forgot that couples are supposed to enjoy each others' presence?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry it’s not like the Obama days anymore where we immediately stop criticizing the government cause a Democrat is president.

To be fair it is, what, day 2.5? A lot of the Senate stuff and various legalese/bills/etc. are going to take some time in even the best circumstances. I'm pretty happy with the speed at which a lot of the executive orders have been put out, and I'm willing to wait for a couple of weeks for the Senate stuff to be sorted out, with hopefully seeing the filibuster nuked and a good agenda being passed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/thearabsource/status/1352236837247578113?s=21
To be fair, we get poo poo like this in 2.5 days.

This. It’s actually starting to possibly work with covid payments and I will not shut the gently caress up.

We should agitate, but we also shouldn't expect results to be instant and immediate; it will take time for legislation to be written and debated. And frankly, we want the legislation that is passed to be well written and to avoid getting scuppered by the supreme court if at all possible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Imagine four ligmas at the base of a mineshaft...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yes Tinsley, keep loving that chicken as California's population *checks notes* continues to increase faster than the national average. It's hilarious to me, because people who watch Fox in California will tell you about how everyone is fleeing, and then turn around and complain that traffic is getting worse every year and how their kids are having trouble affording a house because housing prices keep going up. Motherfuckers refuse to actually look outside or pay attention to anything outside of their media circle-jerk.

And yes, I know that most of the population growth is because scary brown people illegals communist spies they are coming over in large numbers, but that kinda proves the point?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If you give people money, then they have money that can be taxed! :eng101:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Kelly is the staff cartoonist for The Onion.

And he is infinitely better than Ward Sutton, notable hack and 'murica hater.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Was anything learned from the 2008 recession? anything at all?

Take on infinite risk as long as you are too big to fail, because we'll just shovel money into you if you gently caress up. So either way you make out like a bandit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I have a friend that is in her 50s (I'm 35), was in the Navy, suffered sexual abuse in the Navy, has PTSD from the sexual abuse, and finally decided to start hormone therapy last year. She cried when I immediately started calling her by her chosen name and pronoun. She was anxious about how I would react. :unsmith:

Edit:

My friend had been suffering from chronic depression for years before this. At one point, it was so bad, and I was so worried for her that I flew to Boise and dragged her to Michigan on my dime because I was concerned about her well being. She spent three months in a mental health ward with therapy sessions and getting the right mix of medicine before finding a warm and safe apartment. I sometimes like to think I saved her life. :unsmith:

Serious question, how do you refer to trans folks in the past when their former gender is relevant? For instance, a straight friend of mine dated a then female, but now male person. It's important to my friend that he be recognized as straight (as is his right), and it is important to the person whom he dated that he now be known as a man (as is his right).

Truthfully it's not too important, as I have little to no contact with my friend's ex, but I'm curious what the protocol is for that sort of thing. If I ever find myself in a similar situation where it does matter, what is the polite and respectful way to address situations like that?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

Just use their current presenting gender and note if it’s absolutely relevant they weren’t presented as their current correct gender at the time. Don’t bring up their dead name or misapplied gender. People are smart enough to fill in the blanks.

But really just consider if it’s really relevant enough to even mention. Cause it usually isn’t.

Got it. Yeah, my first inclination is to just not mention it unless absolutely necessary; mostly just trying to figure out what the proper procedure would be if it were necessary for some reason.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

also is it weird that he made a specific exception for northern california as an honorary member of the second confederacy, or is that region known for being a lot redder than southern california?

The population centers in California are all pretty liberal, and are basically all coastal. Inland areas of California, especially the central valley, tend to trend more conservative, especially as the population density decreases. Population density maps of California are interesting, because you see the number of people in the state and think about how it makes sense that such a large state has so many people, and then quickly realize that almost all of them are packed into a very small area along the coast.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Grape posted:

Now they are, but uh, check back on how things were in the 50's?

Also in spite of being a hyper rich first world democracy, SK also lives in constant fear of its insane neighbor attacking it.
Imagine some kind of blue state wonderland country still having to live in terror of the autocratic militarized Christian taliban next door launching a crusade to win back its rightful American clay.

I mean, isn't that the situation the US is kinda in now? Obviously not quite to the same degree as of yet, but holy poo poo are a lot of right wingers getting radicalized.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Top tip for memorising phone numbers: use them as part of passwords you type every day. My wife's mobile number is part of my work computer password so I'm typing it all the time.

One thing that helps is to have your voicemail message be something like "You have reached 555 555 5555." It's how I've memorized some family phone numbers after hearing it so many times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

This is the thread for bad comics though.

But we haven't talked about Seinfeld in a while?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Raised By Birds posted:

Dig that overlapping text.

Even if you take this at face value, what it's actually showing is that wind energy is reducing natural gas consumption, which is an advantage in virtually every way, even if you've got your head up your rear end about climate change. Not burning a resource is better than burning a resource.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dwesa posted:

It always fascinates me that in other countries you can cast your vote in about 5 minutes or less, no queues, no registration needed, no other stupid voter suppression tactics, but somehow US is supposed to be a beacon of democracy. I read an article recently where journalist from Czech Republic was staying with some Trump voters and when she told them how much easier is it to vote there compared to US, their brain couldn't process it and they changed the topic.

To be fair, out here in California, I get my mail in ballot sent to me automatically, I fill it out in the comfort of my apartment, then I can either drop it in the mail or, as I usually do, walk it down to the nearest polling place (usually less than half a mile away and a good excuse to get outside) and drop it off with zero lines or hassle. There are polling places everywhere near me, and while sometimes there's a line to vote, it moves fast and people aren't waiting for more than 10-15 minutes (and, of course, all of them have the option of a mail in ballot).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

For years I thought was the standard around the world and was very confused at why other places supposedly more "ahead" of us were having problems with elections in any capacity.

To be fair, the US doesn't really have a problem with election fraud. Remember that Trump and the Republicans investigated election fraud after the 2016 election (since dear leader had his feelings hurt by losing the popular vote) and came up with bupkis. Voter ID isn't really necessary because of the way the system is set up.

The issue the US does have is that elements of the US population have been doing their damndest to make sure that the vote is restricted to the white "right" people.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

How is this not just someone's fetish artwork?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Please, no one tell the US this is a thing you can do to refugees.

Morbidly curious, but what is stopping someone from dropping refugees onto a territory like Puerto Rico?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

And honestly, I'm happy that the president is giving carefully measured statements to the media rather than going off half-cocked about injecting bleach or shining UV into our lungs. An administration being boring is a good thing, especially during a goddamn pandemic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Is it possible to be a "fierce moderate"?

Go medium or go home!

Tell my wife I said "Both sides"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Also learning Spanish if you live in southern California is a really, really good idea. Just having a passing familiarity with it helps, especially since most of the roads and areas have Spanish names and it helps to be able to pronounce them and vaguely understand what they mean.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

I must just not understand how the national debt works, because my understanding is it is money the government borrowed so it owes it to the people it borrowed it from, which is mostly Americans (and mostly the wealthy). Which would make it basically a wealth redistribution scam where the wealthy give the government loans which the government then uses taxes from the poor to pay them back with interest at regular intervals. If the government defaulted on the debt, it would be bad for the poor, but it would be much worse for the wealthy.

One of the other big things to understand is that the US both is capable of making more money at any time (thus controlling the rate of inflation), and borrows money at incredibly low rates. There's almost always something that we can spend money on in the US that will bring greater returns on investment than the interest rate we pay on the borrowed money (infrastructure, the IRS, education, health care, etc.), and so it makes sense to borrow money and fund programs as much as we can to maximize our return on investment.

Of course, it also makes sense to cut back majorly on our massively bloated military spending, but...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

This is so perfectly Republican it hurts.

"*piously* We are here to serve each other." *beat* "Direct action that would help another person? What the gently caress, why would you even suggest that?"

Pretty much. "Do anything to help? No, of course not! Now have some vague platitudes or maybe some thoughts and prayers. Yes, thoughts and prayers are exactly what we should be doing to help people who need it. That and putting spikes on benches."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tibalt posted:

It's so bizarre to see these "Inflation! Unemployment! DOOM!!" when not only is unemployment pretty low all things considered and inflation is slightly below target... They're inverse tied to each other. It has some real "Nobody likes that place anymore, it's too crowded!" energy to it.

I mean, really it's because everything is just fine right now, so they're throwing out scary words, but still.

"Everything is fine right now... but panic about the future! Be scared! Brown people!"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

My favorite argument in that same line are the conservatives who are absolutely flabbergasted that Biden could have possibly won, because Trump was throwing huge rallies in 2020 and Biden was drawing crowds of about a dozen. They don't let the context of "We were in a global pandemic, Trump was ignoring it, and Biden wasn't" even begin to enter their minds.

There's also just not an insane cult around Biden. I don't have to enthusiastically worship a candidate (and I would hope that I never do; they're loving civil servant bureaucrats, not the second coming of Christ) to vote for them. I don't need to wave flags on a flagpole or put up three dozen signs everywhere I can stick them or go to rallies. Just watching a politician's speech is enough to put me to sleep. Give me a transcript afterwards; I don't need to see any sort of spectacle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does Karl Marx and Communism have to do with Critical Race Theory?

Bad thing bad, and because bad thing bad, saying thing is like bad thing makes new thing also bad. None of those things mean anything to conservatives other than that they are bad things that are bad.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but also some \ most of the writers.

There's also the Judge Dredd dilemma - if your protagonists are going to be consistently fighting terrifying threats, you will end up ipso facto justifying their fascist tendencies, will or nil.

To be fair, we're talking about a universe where thinking the wrong thing can literally lead to you worshiping evil gods whose only goal is to lay waste to and bring ruin to reality, or you might be being influenced by a hidden alien that is going to summon its buddies to eat your entire planet. The only way that FTL travel even works is because millions of people are actively sacrificed on a regular basis to keep it running.

The enemies aren't imagined or some far off threat; a handful of heretics can literally destroy planets or entire systems, and it ends up being somewhat rational in that scenario to have an inquisition and to have these incredibly hard line policies.

At the same time, the Imperium is never really portrayed in a positive light; everything is always going to poo poo and progress is stagnant at best as humanity is slowly worn down and losing ground constantly. There's no real hope, there's no silver bullet, and all everyone can do is try to hold the house of cards together as it slowly falls down around them.

All that to say that while the setting does a good job of showing a situation where fascist tendencies might make some sense, it's also very clear that none of those things map onto reality in any way. We don't have chaos gods, or evil aliens that want to consume the biomass of the planet, or angry psychic fungus aliens that infest an area and never stop coming, etc. We just have people, and as much as people might be poo poo in some ways, we can't even hold a candle to any of the above threats.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

War Wizard posted:

Several Pages back there was a discussion about Warhammer briefly. A poster pointed out that we couldn't draw real life similarities to their normalization of fascism because our reality doesn't have literal evil gods attempting to take over the minds of people to collapse civilizations. While that is true, there is a huge portion of society very much willing to pretend that the Devil is real and it justifies fascism if it means killing all the gays.

So yeah. Any normalization of fascism to solve problems ends up selling the narrative that Fascism Solves Problems.

Willatron posted:

Also worth pointing out the Fascism in Warhammer 40K has not solved any of the problems. This may have been pointed out in the original discussion you're referring to but I don't recall.

I did point out in a lot of detail that living in the 40k universe is utterly godawful for a reason and that the Imperium of Man is, on a good day, barely treading water, and on a bad day is losing ground. Purging a chaos cult or a genestealer cult quite literally saves planets or systems, but it comes at the cost of never actually moving forward, as any new progress is viewed as heresy. My point is that fascism in a world with literal chaos gods is something that makes some degree of sense, but even then it's not a good thing and just staves off the end for a little while.

And yeah, Christian Fundamentalists are assholes. I have some in my family and as much as they have no answer as to how gay people across the country affect their lives, they are convinced that they are part of some bullshit spiritual war for the soul of the country. There's no basis in reality for it, they have no actual loving complaints, but they will argue until they're blue in the face that people who are different than them will burn in hell and in fact deserve to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

BonHair posted:

Aside from all the other ways the second amendment is stupid, the idea that a group of armed citizens could ever hope to beat the Usan military is completely detached from reality. And not just because of the nukes, they have enough tanks and drones and crap to not care unless a majority of the citizens are in on it.

Realistically, the modern equivalent of the militia is the national guard. In a sane country, that would be the "well regulated militia" that would be bearing arms in defense of the country.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Where the gently caress is The People's Hog!!!!!

Don't you understand? The People's Hog was inside you all along!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Oh, and don't forget that the president's son, who isn't actually affiliated with the government in any way (unlike the previous president's daughter and her husband), is doing rich people things. The horror.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

also, no poo poo that "you should have a valid ID to vote" is something most Americans agree with. It's the "also it should be nigh impossible for Southern black people to get a valid ID" that's the issue, Drinky

Eh, I don't really agree with this. We have a very good system that is extremely difficult and very expensive to defraud. Voter fraud isn't a real issue even without requiring ID, so I don't know why we would bother.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Being a superhero seems really stressful TBQH so I hope they do take occasional mental health breaks. Otherwise that's a supervillain origin story waiting to happen.

This. They also often have traumatic backstories. You really, really, really want to make sure that people with the power to kill millions or billions of people if they snap have ready access to therapy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Have you not been to a restaurant with a jillion items on the menu where all of them are terrible? It’s definitely been my experience that the smaller a menu is, the better equipped the staff and kitchen are to prepare those specific things.

This. Restaurants that specialize in a few specific things are often much, much better than those that diversify.

That being said, you can do a lot of things with a good specialty like pulled pork or smoked brisket or what have you - sliders, sandwiches, platters, etc. The issue arises when you have many different and divergent options rather than one strong core that can be augmented in different ways.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

The reason there are not currently lines out the door is because the 60% of the country that thought the vaccine was smarter than eating anti-parasite medication at horse level dosages have already gotten their shots, and when they got those shots four months ago, they were waiting in lines that went out the door.

Jesus, I can’t wait until the TinaToon letting us know that Ben needs our thoughts and prayers to pull through.

This. When I got my shot there was literally a line out the door (though social distancing did help with the length of the line). The actual facility itself had something like 80-100 seats where each person would occupy a seat for ~20 minutes (~5 mins to verify everything and administer shot, 15 mins of sitting there to ensure that you were good to drive home). It was an incredibly efficient process that vaccinated at least a thousand people each day in that one facility.

We were all there by appointment too, so the line was basically at a steady state with people trickling in and out at more or less the same rate.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Agreed. Having read enough SMBC it's easy to tell the difference when one side is depicted as more reasonable but too-passionate about it, VS when one side is meant to be framed as overtly wrong. In the latter case, the author almost never has any reservations about pointing it out quite overtly, usually with some other character getting a parting burn on them. Stuff like this definitely feels, presentationally, much more akin to their frequent comics about how things are more complicated than they seem and the presuppositions we have aren't always right. The stinger on the kid and the parent's assertions not really being questioned are identical to any number of informative rants he writes his characters as going on.
Contextually I'm led to assume the author agrees with the parent in regards to the moral ambiguity of the things presented, and if not, the comic definitely comes off that way given his larger body of work. Not really a great comic.

I mean, the parent starts with the Dursleys, who are at most a very banal familial evil. The next step is Scrooge, who is a much more destructive force of greed. Finally we have Palpatine who is a literal galactic emperor that commits mass genocide and firmly establishes fascist principles. The parent is pretty clearly off their rocker here, and intentionally makes more an more spurious arguments as the comic moves on.

It's not the most well constructed comic that he's put out (and arguably one of the worse ones), but I think it's fairly clear that the parent is not who the author agrees with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Ready 2 Racism

drat

Well, at least the mask is fully off now?