Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Moon Slayer posted:

:psyduck: But if they have so much vaccine wouldn't the doctor and nurse already be vaccinated? So it wouldn't matter how close they got?

Apropos and definitely not a humblebrag, but I'm getting my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow and it's actually hard to wrap my mind about the fact that by February I won't have to worry about this thing anymore.

If you're in the US, don't forget to enroll in v-safe, the CDC's outcomes monitoring and notification system. They should provide the information you'll need to do so when you receive your first shot. The same applies to everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OAquinas posted:

Why is the vane pointing east though?

drat it I was going to make that joke you absolute rear end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If no one’s stepping up, could someone familiar with the processPM me what’s needed for the annual awards thread?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't know what to make of Rall's effort to draw a room with no corners. Is it better? Worse?

The picture frame and comically small table are really throwing me off.

Rall : vertices
::
Liefeld : feet

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

As opposed to the previous admin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsrSOZn3M1M

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is...like...just...please do even the smallest amount of research into your sources.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Selachian posted:

Came across this while collecting old comic strips for the newspaper comics thread, and I thought I'd share it. I'm not sure what's better, the labels or the faces.

Joe Parrish worked for the Chicago Tribune and seems to have been artistically talented, and opposed to FDR and american involvement in WW2, and something of an rear end.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 24, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

lol gently caress you ben

God’s work. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is that supposed to be blood :stonklol:

It’s mud

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hello friends, I am working on setting up the 2020 Politoon awards thread. I have decided to rename the Politoon awards to "Kellies" due to issues with the old name.

I would like to humbly request a banner image edit for the OP of Corner Kelly with a speech balloon saying "2020 Kelly Awards". This image can include any other comicsry you would like (windmills, mud, wormbama, etc) that can serve as a year-to-year header for the thread.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 24, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm saving that for any lifetime achievement awards. I am also adding the option to have special one-off award nominations!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The 2020 Politoons thread is now active!

We have relatively few nominations this year, so please relive 2020 by visiting the 2020 politoons thread and finding the toons that made an impression on you!

I highly advise searching for your own posts in the thread to see what cartoons left an impact.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

the_steve posted:

Just for future reference, since I know that I've already tagged at least one comic in this thread as a Gaybies Nomination, what should we tag any nominations with this year? Kelly Nomination? Kellies Nomination?

I'll go through and edit any of my old posts that have Gaybies, I just wanna make sure I use the right name.

Kellies Nomination will work (in practice with the new thread search feature, I am just searching "nomination", but this will help narrow things).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

More of you have second-guessed the award name than have actually nominated any cartoons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Well, we need to know what we're nominating them for.

The categories are in the nomination thread, but here they are too:

• Worst Overall NEW!

• Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy

• Worst Cartoon about Terrorism

• Worst COVID-19 Cartoon NEW!

• Worst Q/Deep State Cartoon NEW!

• Worst Obituary Cartoon

• Worst Caricature

• Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

• Worst Label

• Most Incomprehensible

• Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

• Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

• Most Easily Reinterpreted

• Most Willfully Dense

• Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

• Worst Primary Election Cartoon

• Worst General Election Cartoon

• Best Edit/Parody

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:siren: Please nominate additional cartoons for the 2020 Kellies! :siren:

The nomination thread is here.

I will be compiling the current set of nominations this weekend, but we still are in dire need of additional candidates! The deadline is February 7!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

fool of sound posted:

I think people were using keywords if you're willing to search them but if you're not nbd.

There are and I'm compiling them as well (I proposed the keyword thing iirc and the thread search is making it way easier, thank Jeffrey), but it's not nearly as many as any prior year. The whole thing's been delayed for weeks, so we're desperately trying to get more activity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thread request: Folks, I am trying to collate nominations for the Kelly cartoon awards and I've made a horrible discovery: the thread search function cannot parse text that is inside format tags, such as bolding.

:siren:Please go through any award nominations in this thread and un-bold any nominations text, especially the word "nomination". :siren:

I am going to have to manually inspect the 400+ page 2020 politoon thread. Nomination collection may be delayed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: If Previous Presidents Reacted to Crises the Way Biden Is to the Covid Economic Crash

1. FDR was asking Congress to vote on a war declaration in that speech (he already had the votes, the speech just guaranteed unanimity).
2. Lincoln asked the Senate to convene a special session after the attack on Fort Sumter. I don't...what?
3. The project Kennedy was pitching in the we choose to go to the moon speech was a joint project with the USSR that failed. The speech itself wasn't very effective.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am having to relive 2020 through its politoons thread, so it's taking awhile. I will have the Kellies nominations ready on the 21st. My deepest apologies for the delay.

feel free to post more nominations in the interim- the delay is exclusively going through the old thread.

We've gotta come up with a better system, I proposed this one and it's a bust.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 7, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Please don’t bold your nominations, it turns out that prevents search from indexing them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Erenthal posted:

I miss Natural News, it was one of the highlights of the the politoon threads of yore

https://www.amazon.com/Counterthink...&s=books&sr=1-1

Erenthal posted:

I haven't really looked up what Mike Adams and Dan Berger are up to lately, but in my ~headcanon~ they're both dead from drinking unpasteurized milk.

Adams is still running a network of fringe news sites, including naturalnews and newstarget, and the counterthink show. No clue on berger- here's his personal site:http://danberger.biz/. His linkedin (which I will not link here) excludes his natural news pedigree and just has him listed as a freelancer.

...but I have good news!

https://www.naturalnews.com/counterthink/index-1.html

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 17, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

BiggerJ posted:

Fixed, but I don't know if search will index them after the fact. I'm not entirely sure anyone involved with SA knows exactly how the site works at this point. It's a mysterious artifact unknown to science.

I’ll find out when I resume collecting 2020 nominations this week! Thank you!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

powerful TCC energy in this one

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, I've been a bit shy to say so but I've always wondered if "Tina" was a) a complete invention by Garrison or b) his wife that he draws cartoons for and then slaps her name on it. All of her cartoons give me the vibe of Garrison putting words in her mouth but I don't know (or care) enough about Garrison's life to know.

It was a common suspicion for a period but though I forget the how, she was confirmed to exist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SubG posted:

I stand corrected.

Is there a convenient breakdown of the different technologies used to produce different commercial crops by e.g. their economic value and/or market share? Seems like it would be a fairly clear metric for measuring how misleading the "GMOs are just like selective breeding" argument is.

And again: I'm not arguing that GMOs are bad. I think GMOs have been, apart from all of the stupid patent/IP issues, an overwhelmingly good thing in terms of food production. I just think there's a lot of meaningful discussion that ends up getting squashed because it gets condensed down into a political issue for which the only articulable arguments end up being "GMOs good" or "GMOs bad".

I am swamped and do not have time to dig in on this, but from the legal regulatory side of things, this is the USDA site for the "BE" foods law that covers GMO labeling in the US. It's pretty easy to parse.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/be

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SubG posted:

Unless I'm missing something I don't think you can pull the kind of data I'm talking about out of that. You can see each of the BE "events" the FDA has reviewed, but as near as I can tell there isn't any data on how much of the market each represents.

Like under the potato data the first "BE Event" is X17, and by following the FDA review material you can see that this pertains to Rpi-vnt1.1, but there's no way (as far as I can see) to tell what proportion of the potato crop this represents, or group "similar" events--e.g. other cisgenetic modifications.

Or in the corn data they say that in 2017 32% of the corn crop globally was BE corn. So you can say that roughly 2/3rds of commercial corn is conventional versus about 1/3rd BE. But you can't determine what proportion of the BE corn was transgenic. Or whatever.

Yeah, no, just illustrating what the legal definitions are for GM activity in this area. I don't have a source handy on marketshare. I should note the linked rule, which occupies the space, is seen as ridiculously industry-friendly to the point of being a farce that lets companies very easily bury a GM food declaration where it's required. I simultaneously think that GM fears are unrelated to the much more limited realistic concerns over the subject, and that the rule is an absolute joke.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We need to add another entry to the chart on when Payne does the "Climate change conference closed due to snow".

edit: I am working on plans to spice up next year's politoons awards, including prizes. Another thing that will spice up the nominees pool is posting more Branco. He's solidly represented in the nominations I've processed so far.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Don't forget your Kellies nominations, folks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What's with the scales?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies Nomination: most easily reinterpreted

Speaking of which, astral fixed the parsing bug and I should have the nominations masterlist set up in the next couple days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Don't forget your kellies nominations! I've only got a partial list, but I think branco is going to be the most nominated cartoonist from 2020.

fool of sound posted:

Jesus christ who publishes branco the daily Stormer??

You're not far off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Don't do this.

Lodin posted:

Calling it now. The next outrage is gonna be about Lola Bunny no longer having giant titties.

Vox's Funny Animal/Furry Rule:
They can wear clothes, but their design shouldn't make them seem like they have to wear clothes.

Sally's Corollary:
If only female characters are wearing clothes or shirts, it's still problematic but in a different way.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Question because research. Where did the whole "Ted Rall is doing propaganda for the Russian Times" come from again? Like, were some of his strips commissioned by them or something else?

RT scrubbed their Rall content, I think when Sputnik rebranded. Sputnik wipes material seemingly at random, but you can still see Rall archives on their facebook page, e.g.

He also appeared in RT programming and had an archive of columns. Nowadays he also sells columns to places like Rasmussen.

For a time it was a useful propaganda mapping tool because you could find other foreign outlets running Rall on RT's schedule.

(there was another left-jamming cartoonist who worked for RT, but I can't recall the name and he dropped out of visibility way faster, despite being much more artistically competent)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Thanks Vox. https://archive.rall.com/main.php?g2_view=keyalbum.KeywordAlbum&g2_keyword=virus&g2_itemId=22900 somebody posted this one back last October, and a friend RT'd it so I came across it and just wanted some more backing for "I don't disagree with this specific strip. But Rall sucks fyi." And needed some sourcing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0U7J6
e - god I forgot about My War With Brian.

The "good" serves only as an onramp for the bad, because with Rall, we are the target.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

When last I checked, baby food is subject to much more extensive regulatory scrutiny and tighter purity limits than other foods. I've not had the chance to dig into the house committee report, which appears to be validly sourced, but also, simultaneously, uses all the rhetorical tricks of fearmongering.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That would be Mike Flugennock. I'm too lazy to upload one of his cartoons to imgur so have a sampling from one of his tweets.

https://twitter.com/flugennock/status/1341886472941670400

lol, second tweet on his account is quoting sputnik news. Again, it's not necessarily that Russia's stopped paying these people; they just don't advertise it anymore. If you find their garbage appealing, then, well, yes, that's the point. It's propaganda, and unlike the vast majority of the poo poo that's posted in this thread, you're the intended target.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Funny you use Sally Acorn as an example, she actually wasn't wearing any clothes other than boots in the early episodes of that show, but the cartoonists drew her and the other female characters with just enough of a sexualized hourglass figure that it really felt like they should be wearing something, which is probably why they added the vest.

Yep, part of why I went with her.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

The term "gaslighting" gets thrown around so much these days but...

It’s a kellies category! Feel free to nominate!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lodin posted:

So I didn't know what censure means and googled it and I'm still not sure. Your political party decides they hate you and won't support you and you get the stink eye when they see you walking down the hall?
Are Mittens Romney or Bernie censured? The Squad?

It's usually a public statement of disapproval for some action, intended to shame the subject into compliance or publicize their poor action, sometimes as a distancing move, sometimes to avoid stronger accountability. Think of it as the lowest possible form of public discipline.

Here's an OK explanation of it in the house, if you have time (don't donate to that site, they're scum).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 7, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination for both:

Most bigoted (racism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

fool of sound posted:

gently caress me more papers need to fire this dude

A goon project might be apropos, but it'd involve identifying where it's published that there's a potentially persuadable population of current subscribers, then reaching out to those subscribers individually. Probably a lot of goons' parents.