Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mordiceius posted:

That sounds fuckin cool though.

Does Marvel have a counterpart to Anthro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

My one lasting takeaway from Eternals is how I couldn't tell which articles and tweets made about the movie were joking or not.

I legit thought King's power being pew pew finger guns was a joke until I saw the movie.

Fake Edit: one positive I'll add, they let Ma Dong-seok give a monster a big meaty slap. I love when he slaps the gently caress out of a goon in his movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mordiceius posted:

That sounds fuckin cool though.

[Image of Drake rejecting “Eternals”]

[Image of Drake accepting “Immortals”]

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm not sure how Highlander hasn't come up (more) in the discussion about Eternals. The historical parts have always been the most entertaining parts of that movie and much of what is said about Eternals to me sounds like they should have just remade Highlander, but with less in-fighting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

Like, not only are they ageless and poo poo, but their looks *never changed*? They never thought to braid their hair or part it a different way?

I interpreted this and other elements of their being relatively unchanging as coming from them being robots. The idea, if I recall, was that Earth was unusual in that it led them to grow and change at all. Though what made Earth so special felt under-defined.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not sure how Highlander hasn't come up (more) in the discussion about Eternals. The historical parts have always been the most entertaining parts of that movie and much of what is said about Eternals to me sounds like they should have just remade Highlander, but with less in-fighting.

Didn't Marvel get sued, or nearly so, in the 90s over the similarities between their vague Eternals/Xternals characters and Highlander stuff?

Not that it matters now, I'm sure if Disney wanted to go that route they'd make it happen but this has come up before I'm fairly sure.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The eternals were created in 1976, ten years before the first Highlander movie.

Robot Style posted:

Then there's no reason to make them Eternal at all - they can just be superheroes who visit a primitive planet. Showing how they interact with different eras of human history is kind of the main gimmick of the team, even if the movie doesn't really use it to its fullest potential.

More or less, this. One of the gimmicks of the Eternals was they are one of the sources of human history and myth. Ajak was Quetzacoatl and Ajax the Greater. Gilgamesh was literally the Hero with a Thousand Faces Joseph Campbell wrote about. Sersei was Circe, Ikaris was Daedalus, Thena was Athena, Sprite was Puck and Peter Pan, Makkari was Mercury and Thoth.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 18, 2022

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
hell yeah... oscar isaac has a terrible british accent in the moon knight trailer

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm an old, and when I was a kid the Marvel Werewolf by night comic was the BOMB.

I think Moon Knight first showed up in WWBN, throwing his little crescent throwing stars into the werewolf. But he wasn't a brit, was he? I mean maybe it was retconned later, but I remember Marc Spector being a typical New Yorker alter ego type of guy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something something, his crazy makes him think he's British.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something something, his crazy makes him think he's British.

That really weirded me out as well, presumably both Isaac's and the lady's awful accents are part of the multiple personalities thing?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

any macleod could easily whip all their asses, no problem

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That Moon Knight trailer was pretty underwhelming and that costume is way too busy.

I might be the only person alive that doesn't like Ethan Hawke too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, Moon Knight first appeared in Werewolf By Night, as a bad guy who was hunting the titular Werewolf.

There's different ways to do Moon Knight's basic setup.

One of them is that he literally does not know who he is most of the time. Like, when he's Moon Knight he thinks he's The Avatar of Konshu, Egyptian God of Vengeance (this also might be actually true! or not!) and when he's Marc Spector (former CIA guy and mercenary) he vaguely remembers "doing superhero stuff" but can't tell you the specifics. And then he'll have an fugue episode triggered by something and think that he's Jake Locksley, a working-class New York cab driver, and he'll just sort of zone out as that guy for a while. There's also a rich playboy guy (Steven Grant) but he doesn't show up much anymore.

There's also versions of him where he knows exactly who he is and doesn't switch identities but literally thinks that Konshu is manifesting, talking to him, and guiding him. And sometimes Konshu wants him to do bad things.

The third version, which is the earliest version, is like the second version except that he established Jake Locksley and Steven Grant as cover identities but trying to maintain three different lives while an Egyptian God shouts at him in his head has messed him up and he sometimes gets confused as to who he is.

There's other versions too (and they mostly suck to varying degrees to be honest) but the basics are:

1) Marc Spector is mentally unwell
2) He might be a literal avatar of an obscure Egyptian God, or he might be a really lucky guy who relies on his old black ops training
3) But then again he's so lucky there has to be SOMETHING helping him, right?
4) The fun of good Moon Knight is that it's written in such a way that it is ambiguous as to the cause and effect. Did Marc Spector REALLY have Konshu guide him into a psychedelic land of the dead and receive a message from a ghost tipping him off about a murder, or did he trip out on mushrooms and, while hallucinating, beat the poo poo out of a guy who just happened to be the murderer? (this is an actual Moon Knight story)

Edit: Oh if anyone cares I thought the trailer was pretty good. Marc Spector thinking he's Steven Grant and blapping about with a terrible British accent while he's chased by a ghost seems like a pretty good setup for Moon Knight, but again - he's a hard character to do right, fraught with writing peril, we'll just have to see what happens.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What's the in-universe explanation for the name Moon Knight?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

What's the in-universe explanation for the name Moon Knight?

Khonsu is the ancient Egyptian god of the Moon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khonsu

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Moench/Siencewicz run was one of my favorite comics as a teen and the main version of the character I familiar with but, right now, I can't even remember what made inspired Marc to fight crime in the first place. I know that, initially, he was seeking revenge on Bushman but beyond that I'm unable to recall why he went full Batman. I don't think it was just "he's crazy".

And IIRC, his powers DID in fact wax and wane with the moon stages but they weren't anything super insane. Just faster, stronger, etc.

I think I have a B&W tbp somewhere that collects the run I'm talking about it so maybe I'll go re-read it.

That costume from the trailer was a big letdown too. I can do without the glowing eyes for starters and always pictured his suit as more "shiny" and sleek. The way it was drawn in the comic, I saw at is being capable of high contrast while being white/silver but still capable of being a little bit dark and shadowy. Like the inside of the cape is black along with the inside of the hood so you get this sort of shimmering apparition look.

The show's costume is too busy IMO and he looks like a mummy, which certainly makes sense, but I was just picturing and hoping for something different. Like this:

Where maybe the suit has a sort of bizarre way of reflecting light?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BiggerBoat I'm with you that Moon Knight's in-comic look is the best but unfortunately it's impossible to do because, as you said, it just doesn't reflect light correctly. It only works when Bill Sienkiewicz gets ahold of it and plays with shadow and stuff across it, blacking out the face and huge portions of the body and leaving that awesome silhouette of the eyes and the moon and white slashes like a razor around the edges. Pretty much every comic book artist after him apes that look at some point.

So without that being possible outside of some trippy sequences, I'll take either "Mummy of Vengeance" or "Mr. Knight". Mr. Knight would probably look the best in real life (just a guy in a really nice suit who is literally dressed in white from head-to-toe) but not very superheroic.

There was also an updated Moon Knight costume in the Warren Ellis run. It wasn't as striking but might have looked better live-action, although a bit like a Stormtrooper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Moon Knight just brings to mind

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'll admit it: I don't get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's some context that I'm too drunk to be bothered looking up, I just like a casual Spider-man response.

Also we need a disaster bisexual Spider-man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

[Image of Drake rejecting “Eternals”]

[Image of Drake accepting “Immortals”]

So much cooler it's insane.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I didn't see anything wrong with Moon Knight's British accent. Sounded pretty good to me tbh.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Burkion posted:

One thing that stuck out to me was that they really should have had different hairstyles across the eras.

Like, not only are they ageless and poo poo, but their looks *never changed*? They never thought to braid their hair or part it a different way?

It'd be neat if they showed up like, bald and hairless, higher beings, and then started adapting to different 'looks' as the years went on.

I dunno, they're like cosmic robots or whatever right? I just assumed everything about their appearance was completely static, including like hair growth and even their sense of self image.

But then I guess you have the kid one who's mad she can't get dates because of how she looks (?) so maybe not. That was a dumb loving motivation. I get that it sucks, but there's regular rear end adult humans who look like kids, from people who just look young for their age to people with actual like gland disorders that keep them looking like kids, and most of them manage adult romantic/sexual relationships just fine without the benefit of thousands of years to figure it out.

Just loving, find somebody who's into it. No need to destroy a whole planet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I suppose she could just date a libertarian.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

“Ikaris will never want to gently caress me, but he also wants to kill everyone I’ve ever known and loved, so, I guess I gotta go with Ikaris on this one.”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Robot Style posted:

I suppose she could just date a libertarian.

*montage of the eternals impacting history showing Sprite overseeing the building of the golden dome on jeffrey epstein's island*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'll admit it: I don't get it.

One of Moon Knight's alternate personalities was Spider-Man. Which leads to Moon Knight as Spider-Man beating up a bunch of strippers, because Spector's life is a trash fire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wonder if Across the Spider-Verse will comment on that in any way since Isaac is one of the Spider-Men.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mulva posted:

One of Moon Knight's alternate personalities was Spider-Man. Which leads to Moon Knight as Spider-Man beating up a bunch of strippers, because Spector's life is a trash fire.

Was this from the Brian Michael Bendis run? Because I've forgotten a lot of that one, it really didn't work for me. (I do remember him having Spider-Man and a couple of Avengers as his "head gang" in that one)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 18, 2022

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I didn't see anything wrong with Moon Knight's British accent. Sounded pretty good to me tbh.

Even Oscar Isaac himself thinks it sounds silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPC049JCdMg

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mandrel posted:

I dunno, they're like cosmic robots or whatever right? I just assumed everything about their appearance was completely static, including like hair growth and even their sense of self image.

But then I guess you have the kid one who's mad she can't get dates because of how she looks (?) so maybe not. That was a dumb loving motivation. I get that it sucks, but there's regular rear end adult humans who look like kids, from people who just look young for their age to people with actual like gland disorders that keep them looking like kids, and most of them manage adult romantic/sexual relationships just fine without the benefit of thousands of years to figure it out.

Just loving, find somebody who's into it. No need to destroy a whole planet.

For what is worth, that is 100% Sprite motivation in the comics. It was in Neil Gaiman cycle, I think?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 18, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YggdrasilTM posted:

For what is worth, that is 100% Sprite motivation in the comics.

I guess it's kind of cute how naive the comics were that people wouldn't be into that

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Burkion posted:

I guess it's kind of cute how naive the comics were that people wouldn't be into that

Yep, 2007 was a whole different age.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BiggerBoat posted:

I might be the only person alive that doesn't like Ethan Hawke too

Uma Thurman probably isn't the hugest fan.

Sandwolf posted:

“Ikaris will never want to gently caress me, but he also wants to kill everyone I’ve ever known and loved, so, I guess I gotta go with Ikaris on this one.”

This horny perpetual-child wants to gently caress, and no mortal pedophile in 7000 years has been a suitable substitute for her stoic, genocidal brother-figure. Thanks to Marvel for gifting this scenario to the worst corners of online erotic fanfic.

(If the Emergence happened, I choose to believe Sprite would be even younger on the next planet. Arishem is just a dick that way.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Even Oscar Isaac himself thinks it sounds silly

Pro tip: an accurate English accent can also very much be a silly English accent.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

Pro tip: an accurate English accent can also very much be a silly English accent.

Reminds me of how a guy I worked with once absolutely hated his Chicago accent. Once he told me to "get those boxes of crap in the back" but it came out as "get doze baaxes of craap in da baack" and he immediately was like "ah hell" and said it 'correctly'.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIWX5vGTEk

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

It’s awful lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought it sounded perfect, that's exactly how some Londoners sound. He should've gone sillier.