Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everyone posted:

Asgardian Jason Bourne?

Bjorn Jäsun so we can have another point where Thor gets angry at someone with a "sun" surname and says "Know this, Son of Jay..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Anyone who intends to use twitter regularly really needs to use a dashboard other than the default. Tweetdeck is the most decent I've found.

I still can't believe there's people that retweet toxic poo poo just to dunk on it instead of using a screenshot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Avengers: Continue? Yes/No

Avengers Break the Internet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

onal defect, and joins forces with the pro-government good guys because they're on the side of justice.

Magneto *was* right. But they're probably not going to open an MCU movie inside Auschwitz.

The same way we got X-Men Origins: Wolverine and then the movie that became First Class. I wish that now that Logan happened we got an R rated Old Magneto movie with Fassbender. I liked First Class a lot but it not just being two hours of "Magneto fuckin demolishes these Nazis" like they initially planned was a slight letdown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

It’s be sick if they got old man McKellan to appear in present day scenes at the start and the rest is flashbacks to magneto doing nazi hunting. Then at the end it skips back and McKellan fucks up modern day nazis as a grandiose conclusion.

Would be too good to be true, like look at the state the US is in right now and imagine a movie of McKellan Magneto cutting loose in it at the end

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robot Style posted:

They actually deleted a scene from The Wolverine where he received it, so its at least something that they were considering.

Given what the movie Logan was about they should have had X-24 wearing it when he first appears.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Jackie Earle Haley steps out from the shadows, “What you are, I once was. What I am, you will become.”

Once Tom Holland's a little older he could potentially make a genuinely inspired Freddy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Amazonian wailing on the soundtrack is used a lot, but there was only one instance towards the end where my brain noticed and thought "wow they overused this a little here"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marvel's Another 48 Hours

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

But that's why all the Ross stuff seems gross to me, not because the film is CIA propaganda per se--although it has literally been used as such--but that the film both recognizes that the CIA is bad, Ross is at least complicit in imperialism, but gives him a weak redemption arc so maybe the CIA isn't all THAT bad?

When he started saying how Killmonger is using the CIA's methods I was briefly expecting him to then reveal how he was working with Killmonger all along to bring Freedom to Wakanda which is why they were so easily able to bust Ulysses Klaue out/etc. Naive of course but in the moment of watching the movie I was just assuming he was going to turn out to be bad or at least conflicted/complicit at some point because as others pointed out I figured like why else is he just a "regular" CIA guy and not from SHIELD or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 7, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of have mixed feelings about this because yes, I think what you're describing would make a lot more thematic sense, but also take some agency away from Killmonger.

I didn't even think of that and agree. And I wouldn't want it to be a situation where it turns out to straight up be Killmonger's operation with CIA man has his lackey either. Maybe something where the CIA guy is just there to "monitor the situation" would make more sense where like he's reached out to Killmonger and not just Wakanda but they're just not working together.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The answer as to why he's not from SHIELD is SHIELD doesn't exist anymore at this point in the narrative (it was destroyed in Winter Soldier, or at least made defunct). Like, maybe he was in SHIELD before, but he's in the CIA because SHIELD doesn't exist anymore, in the comics he is from SHIELD in fact.

Lord_Magmar posted:

My guess is he's using what's left of SHIELD's funding to organise his own system, alongside Skrull resources.

This was something I always felt the movies REALLY should have been clearer about or thought through better. Like SHIELD gets wrecked in Winter Soldier, so SHIELD is gone, but Fury just, like, has a fully manned helicarrier he can call upon in Age of Ultron, like the US government just lets him roll around with that even after what went down in Winter Soldier? Also Cap performs a 9/11 on a government building in Winter Soldier but the end of Age of Ultron they just give them a huge facility upstate where he can train everyone or whatever no big.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

To be fair, OP was talking strictly about the superhero films' love of the CIA as a whole. The film does present the CIA as meaningfully trying to protect the world from a super nuclear bomb, but them getting in way over their heads is a pretty good punchline.

And although DKR has some hardcore liberal energy, I find it joyfully re-watchable because of the cinematography, the way it paints Batman as such a doofus, and Tom Hardy's & Anne Hathaway's performances are just awesome.

DKR really is a lot of fun despite its vast liberal energy.

I love the inadvertent (?) fourth wall break before the climax when Catwoman says to Batman "You don't owe these people anymore" or whatever and then there's a closeup of Batman's face and it's held just a little longer than ideal to the point where you don't see an battleworn Batman you just see Christian Bale the actor in a batsuit with an offcenter helmet having extreme difficulty breathing because it's the batsuit. It's the best.

I also like how continuing from the Batman Begins they did three movies straight of people getting owned because they didn't mind their surroundings lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's like when Venom got his own comic series for a bit and the first story was like "what if Venom had to fight, uh, evil Venoms that are bright yellow/red/etc., totally unique from and unrelated to the character Carnage"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zack Snyder's Independence Day

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robot Style posted:

That was J.J. Abrams' Superman Flyby, which also includes the suit ripping all of 14 year old Clark's clothes off and sucking him inside of it for some reason.

That's like Whedon's Wonder Woman where the suit was alive and when Wonder Woman is killed in battle it leaves her corpse and then binds itself to whatever woman it finds first and then that woman is the new Wonder Woman until she dies.

Appropriately for all the Venom chat, living suits were a thing in these 00s superhero movie concepts. Like some longterm trickle down of Venom and the T-1000 in the early 90s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Should make an unrated cut called Maximum Carnage and a PG cut called Medium Carnage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

I mean, I would absolutely watch a sci-fi fantasy re-telling of the King Arthur legend from Guinevere or Morgaine Le Fay's perspective that somehow intersects Norse mythology and - through time travel or immortality - ropes Napoleon into the action. That sounds great.

Zack Snyder's Bill and Ted 4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

if they’re just coming out and confirming there are no other supers or Spidermen in Venom’s universe yet I wonder if that means spider verse will end up being real. assuming Sony doesn’t seriously intend to do just a bunch of weird solo movies with Spider-Man villains

im still intensely dubious even with all the confirmed cameos that the new Spider-Man won’t just be another mysterio/pietro bait and switch with how not careful at all they’ve been with the “leaks”

like Holland Spidey is watching some in universe bad spider-man TV show and haha Alfred Molina is doc Ock in the show we got you

It would rule if they did this but then it zooms in on the TV a bit and then the entire rest of the movie is all of these other Spider-Men/villains EXCEPT for Holland, like him turning on his TV as the credits roll is his entire role in the film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean they were retconing Shang-Chi's dad to be the Mandarin.

Originally his dad was Fu Manchu.

They had to change it because they couldn't afford Nicholas Cage's likeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiGIzoeBg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So, Asian Killmonger.

This is Marvel so I expect "So, Asian Killmonger" to be an actual spoken line of dialogue in the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Moriarty is an Irish name, so I could see a re-imagining of him as an Irish nationalist. But then again the Irish were also over-represented in Britain's imperial military. Moriarty's number two is also Sebastian Moran, who is definitely an arch-imperialist adventurer (with another Irish last name). But then again Watson himself is also a veteran of Britain's imperial wars in Asia.

Sherlock Holmes' characters is basically stuffy British Magnum PI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I kind of want the 300 series to continue just to see how far away they can get from the original 300 Spartans and what abstract concept they can attach the idea of "300" onto to keep the franchise.

300: Rise of an Empire was about a completely different city and the number 300 was not relevant at all.
300: Episode 3 would have taken place in a different country and 110 years after the original 300 had died.

300: Episode 7 will be about "300 guys" charging Omaha beach.

By 2030 we'll have a 300 movie about the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still wondering if Rome was planning on keeping Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson for the planned 5th season that would have been about Christ, when the two main characters would be at least 90.

Just have them in a balcony seat on the upper right corner of every shot Statler and Waldorfing every scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah that makes it like five times worse. gently caress, I really gotta watch that show sometime, it sounds incredible.

The Bigfoot episode is legit amazing. It has the lowest lows and the highest highs. Starting out with actual honest to god "oh yeah that would make sense" bits about unexplored cave networks near forested area, NOT hollow earth stuff, like specific areas near where bigfoot sightings happened.

By the end of the episode it's about how Bigfoot is a human/alien DNA splice servitor race that escaped from its alien overlords but also is the result of Russian genetic manipulation and then there's a CG "reenactment" of a Bigfoot staring sagely towards the viewer in a forest as a UFO's light then shines upon him.

Completely loving insane to for a channel called The History Channel to air that show but oh my lord that one episode is a must watch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I think a Marvel "bomb" will have to be a slow burn of a couple small disappointments that diminish the brand before an actual bomb. I can't imagine one specific movie having a hard drop off at this point.

Same, they would have to have a couple of underperforming+not well-liked flicks in a row before a real the-MCU-is-doomed-level bomb happens.

I doubt Eternals will be that. I forget what the marketing was like for Guardians but you'll have plenty of "[YOUTUBE PERSON NAME] explains THE ETERNALS" videos and online articles doing the buildup for them. I think that and just the inertia of people talking about the first big new Marvel flick will mean it does pretty well regardless of how unknown the characters are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vakal posted:

Nah, Spider-man can barely lift a car.

In Amazing Spider-Man 365 the Lizard basically collapses half of Penn Station onto his back and he was able to lift it up and get out from under it. I think that was like a major moment around that time where they really establish that he's extremely strong but is holding back most of the time. I remember almost every Spider-Man issue across all his series for a bit after that point mentioning whenever he'd hit someone how like if he hadn't held back that person's head would have gotten crushed in or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everyone posted:

I have to admit to being slightly skeptical about Spider-Man and Dr. Strange together. I mean, "fighting Doc Ock" seems like it would be two seconds of Peter fending off Octavious before Strange turns him into an actual octopus.

Depending on how creative (lol) they want to get that could actually have some fun results for Dr. Strange

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Klungar posted:

That’s certainly my hope!

I wish but you know they'll just have him be like "I said I wouldn't DIE a monster..."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Micheal Keaton is gonna have a weird time being in multi-verses in two different superhero movie franchises.

Digitally edit some of the background posters in future releases of Birdman to establish that he was both Vulture and Batman, boom, all Sony/WB/Disney comic book movies are under the BCU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I remember productions in the late 00's being mocked for putting CGI abs on actors but that is 100% a more ethical and sustainable option.

People talk about using cloning to grow meat for people to eat but we need sustainable abs to slap onto actors instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792?s=19

Seems pretty bad for Netflix to whiff on a series at this scale? But outside of this thread and other similar spaces I heard almost no one talking about this show so the only surprising aspect is how fast they pulled the plug.

I wonder how many more half assed concepts Millar can score a payday off of before the jig is up.

It's because (in our case at least) they called it Jupiter's Legacy and used the promo imagery they did. Causing my wife and I to, multiple times in a week, glance at it on the new/hot/whatever it is list and go through the thought process of "Is that a Jupiter Ascending thing? Oh it's some comic book thing next" more than one time because of how blah it looked.

EDIT:

Also Jesus gently caress $200 million? Marco Polo was $9 million an episode and that used like full building sets like Gangs of New York and location shooting and all the actors did their own stunts and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Last Samurai pisses me off because I don't know anything about its production but watching it, it's extremely easy to see a version where the screen time is reversed between Watanabe and Cruise and it owns. There's already a reporter narrating bits of the movie's story with a voice over and then we got Tom Cruise's in addition. Like was he cast in mid-production or something so everything had to shift to be more about him? Like it's not even much of a white savior story because Cruise is just, like one of several folks working with Watanabe as the story goes on like nothing would be lost with less of him and no voice over narration from him about how spiritual the samurai are and stuff. You could probably make a great movie out of it with a different cut.

I still LOL that they had a decent ending with him just wandering off and the voice over basically saying no one saw him again and he probably died of his wounds but then it fades back in and goes on that extra minute because Hollywood.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

gently caress man, that ending of the last of the Mohicans is so loving good

Besides the ending doing that, I really really really loved the scene before where that starts to happen where they enter the indigenous town (I was about to say village but I appreciated how realistically actually built up it was) and their leader and Magua argue a bit about his motivations and stuff. It really was cool how the movie starts out as if it's going to be a typical white savior sort of story and like, Hawkeye is of course very competent but I really liked how the third act of the movie in general Hawkeye and Uncas are Chinachgook's two sons instead of him and Uncas just being side characters. I also liked colonial man sacrificing himself too because like, you want to be a white "savior"? Jesus was executed my dude. It was cool that he accepted that compared to how that character is at the movie's start. Just as rad af movie in general imo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Michael Mann is my favorite director of all time. Other than Blackhat everything he’s made is 10/10 for me.

I keep meaning to try and find that Blackhat recut from a few years ago, I heard it’s more coherent

Speaking of that, a specific thing I read about his cut of it is that sort of like Last of the Mohicans it also does a thing where like, the white main character is still the main character technically but everyone else around him gets a lot more focus in the third act. Something like that might make the build up to the final confrontation in it play a little better than it does.

Even just knowing that the nuclear meltdown that opens up the movie was originally meant to happen like halfway through the movie makes most of the movie make a lot more sense.

I still have to see Public Enemies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The first Ghost Rider was incredibly bad imo so I similarly never got around to watching the second despite Cage's performance anecdotes and him buying ancient Egyptian crystals that he lined the inside of his coat with to help get into character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nic Cage fully birthed a completely unique form of acting with its roots in vaudeville and silent films and by God I respect the dude for just going for it. "Mega-acting" indeed.

I'm still sad about him and Ron Perlman just phoning it in for Season of the Witch just because yeah it IS a crappy movie but it would have been legit good if they both did their maximum thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I remember it was in this thread that someone posted "obviously the character flashbacks were originally supposed to be spaced out throughout the film" and it made me go, gently caress, of course. Instantly had a better movie in my head when I adjusted for that. Glad to see they were right.

Also wasn't the big machine Enchantress was assembling going to be a boomtube or whatever to call call Darkseid instead of just this big machine that's a pile of wreckage that will do...something bad...somehow...that entire part of the released movie was so sudden and weirdly paced.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

The funniest part about WB veering from the original plot arc of the DCEU was how the MCU will always beat them to the punch on everything when it comes to big universe arcs(Thanos/Darkseid, timetravel, multiverse, etc) and that was exactly what the original plan was attempting to avoid.

By the time Loki is over and Dr. Strange 2 is out there will be nothing novel about a comic multiverse in film so DC will just be retreading ground, again, with The Flash.

Its kind of amazing how the parallels between the start of the actual comics rivalry has sort of been revived for their film universes.

It's especially funny because Justice League dropped a solid year before Infinity War and two years before Endgame, like imagine if they just went with Snyder's version and didn't re-shoot anything they would have genuinely had the arcs and beaten Marvel to the punch at the same time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I refuse to believe that Batman is like DJ Khaled and refuses to master the oral arts.

Batman, prepared for anything except a WAP

Yeah I thought he travelled the world for years to master every skill, what a fuckin loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

WB didnt want the oral scene because there wasnt a solo film in which this was explained, obviously.

The Dark Knight Descends