Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deleted now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

2house2fly posted:

It would have been a decent fit. I'm thinking of the bit in MoS where he gives himself up to the military and is trying to be nice to them while they're putting cuffs on him and scheming to try and tranquilise him. The bit where Batman beats up Superman because he's worried he might turn violent would have an uncomfortable vibe tho

Spider-Man actually played this up for laughs once

(This was in the early 00s, about 7 years before Miles Morales was introduced)

Jimbot posted:

I was happy to have forgotten about Obama Superman until now.

Marvel's editor-in-chief confirmed that Obama's election was the inspiration for creating Miles Morales, fwiw:

quote:

When we were planning 'Ultimatum,' we realized that we were standing at the brink of America electing its first African-American President and we acknowledged that maybe it was time to take a good look at one of our icons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blood Boils posted:

I don't know American law but why did they let him wear his mask in court?
They used an Avengers scanning device to confirm his identity.

If you're wondering why the court allowed a so-called Avengers scanning device to confirm the identity of a litigant in such a high profile case (Spidey was suing Jameson for damages) ....... :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc, Spodey also misses out on poo poo like royalties, likeness usage fees, and merchandising because his identity is a secret.

In that particular comic he's suing J Jonah Jameson for damages but realises partway through that even if he wins the case he can't transfer the money to Peter Parker at all, and he considers donating it to a charity instead.

In the end he settles out of court and makes Jameson dress up in a chicken costume and hand out "Spiderman is innocent" flyers on a street corner.

Many many years later he goes "Wait, I'm a scientific/engineering genius, why am I living in poverty?" and gets rich by running his own tech start-up corporation

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

ST09 is a lot of fun, with some really memorable performances from Bana, Greenwood and Pegg. The "lens flare" thing is not really that noticeable unless you look for it.

A fun part of it is that they copied Shatner's fighting skill level for Pine's Kirk. He gets punched in the face like 18+ times through the movie. He absolutely does not hold his own, at all in any of the fights. The hero of this film gets loving owned, constantly. Pretty much every time there's a fight (the bar, the mining rig, the end scene on the narada) he's getting schooled until someone saves him. It's honestly worth a rewatch just to take count.

It's kind of the same joke from Lower Decks, just from another direction. Instead of Kirk-Fu being useless, Jack Ransom wrecks poo poo with it.

Lower Decks also made hay with the lens flare references in their "cinematic" episode. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykudfjTw1Q

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

all this talk about whether black people or white people should be villains are ignoring the true villains: albinos.

I was wondering if there were any positive portrayals of albinos in movies/TV and looking over the Wikipedia page for Albinism in popular culture it's pretty much The Witcher and a few anime characters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the scene in question, it's the very first time that Bruce Wayne appears on screen in ep 1 and pretty much the last time his parents' murders are mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ph59wkKOfs&t=167s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Everyone posted:

quote:

(AKA Disney's access to the rights to the Fu Manchu character)
Clarified that for you.

Yeah at one point in the comics they had to go "Fu Manchu????? No that was only an alias, Shang-Chi's father's real name is actually Zheng Zu!" Apparently Disney are going to sidestep the issue altogether and use The Mandarin in the film instead.

My brother was a big fan of the original 1970s 'The Hands of Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu' comics and it actually took him several decades to put together a complete collection but he doesn't seem to be all that interested in the upcoming film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timeless Appeal posted:

The original League of Extraordinary Gentleman has to tap dance around using him as much as they do with secret agent Jimmy in later comics or antichrist Harry Potter.

The NZ TV show 'Wellington Paranormal' just had an episode featuring people dressed in lovely cheap knockoff Halloween costumes labeled "Lost Traveller Glasses Man" but one of the characters kept accidentally calling them "Where's Wally" costumes and the other characters had to keep reminding him they had to use the legally distinct generic name

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Do we know which character Taika Waititi is playing the movie? Weasel is played by Sean Gunn and I doubt James would replace him, I guess it might be Starro??

Spacebump posted:

I think that trailer makes it pretty clear that there is a first team sent made up of TDK, Mongal, Javelin, etc (basically the brightly colored costumed characters with Harley in the previous stuff put out for this.) I think that team clearly gets wrecked and the smaller team of people this trailer focused on are the main team in the film.

Yeah if you look through the list of team members throughout the film there's 14 or 15 of them, so there's probably at least 2 teams.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 27, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mandrel posted:

I guess it’s all beside the point though, since it’s probably meant to parallel Steve jumping on the grenade at basic training. That was pretty unnecessary and didn’t make sense either, but he did it because he’s selfless and doesn’t make those calculations about his own survival at all or second guess his decisions to act I guess.

Jumping on a grenade to take the full blast yourself and save your squad was an incredibly popular trope in old "manly tales of war heroism" pulp stories back in the day

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aces High posted:

It did happen though, there's a Canadian Heritage Minute dedicated to a solider that fought in Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion that did exactly that, got himself a posthumous Victoria Cross for it too

Mythbusters even did an episode about it because they were skeptical it would work and were surprised when it proved to be pretty effective

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klungar posted:

It's even worse in motion, nightmare stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Rd8x4z-e0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Considering his father is the Mandarin, yes. But apparently they look like bracelets now.

gently caress yeah, hung gar iron rings technique :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDr1MD2a1aM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thrawn527 posted:

For some reason, I didn't think we were anywhere near getting a teaser for this.

Simu Liu wasn't expecting it either :v:

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1384129985712033800

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1384137861385965574

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's crazy to me that Awkwafina got famous via a viral Youtube video rapping about how much better her vagina is than other vaginas and has released one album, but been in nearly half a dozen $300+ million movies since.

Somehow, getting famous for rapping ended her rap career and exploded her acting career into one that many major actors would be jealous of, despite the fact that she never acted prior.

She's been acting in minor roles since 2013 and hosted several TV shows and won a Golden Globe in 2020, it's not like she went directly from Youtube to Oceans' Eight

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mat Cauthon posted:

She got famous off doing her immensely corny minstrelsy gag in 2012 and kept doing it until a couple years ago despite people pointing out it's hosed up and racist.

Are you talking about her 'My Vag' song? Because that was a parody of this Jewish rapper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRO1SVeU1p4

I'm not trying to be the Awkwafina Defender (I'd barely heard of her before I googled her yesterday) I'm genuinely curious

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That article isn't convincing, their main evidence of her "minstrel act" is people just talking about it on twitter and here's the one example they came up with:

Yeahhhhhh, nah.

The entire second half of the article is all people saying that the racist accusations are bullshit

Burkion posted:

Most musicians don't put on a black accent when its convenient for their career.
https://www.femestella.com/awkwafina-blaccent-cultural-appropriation/
I haven't actually seen Crazy Rich Asians so I pulled up a compilation of her scenes and I genuinely can't hear a black accent in her dialogue anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5albVARGA
I also checked some of her other videos and it sounds super close to her normal talking voice to me

I'm not trolling here I'm genuinely trying to understand. It'd really help if you gave some specific examples of her appropriating black culture in her music or acting career, stuff like "she has a DJ persona" isn't anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also keep in mind that I'm an Australian and the minstrel acts we have here are in no way subtle so I may actually be struggling with nuance, you might actually have to take me by the hand and walk me through this with baby steps.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

poonchasta posted:

And also, does dropping her black accent on a dime when it suits her mean that maybe she was forced to work with a vocal coach during pre production in one of her mainstream movie roles?

The speaking voice she uses in Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean's 8 and The Farewell all sound pretty much the same as her usual speaking voice to me. If someone disagree then please point it out so I can see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y25RLo5nGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3X0DO5nr48

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

First up, go gently caress yourself with this "exasperated facepalm" bullshit. I'm asking questions in good faith, don't be an rear end in a top hat.

FilthyImp posted:

But the video was her donning a false rap persona. So there's a very incongruous clash between the two going on.

"Rap persona" is not racially coded by itself, you need to show that Awkwafina has been doing more than that if you want to push the 'racial appropriation' angle. It's not enough to say "I think there's a fine line with "I make music with an exaggerated persona for fun" that gets kind of messy", you have to actually shown that the line has been crossed. If the best you've got is "In part of the video she sings, in another part she talks" you got nothing.

E: assuming that she just makes music just "for fun" is also pretty dismissive, according to her wikipedia page she'd been rapping for over a decade by the time 'My Vag' went viral.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 21, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Venom v Dilbert

https://abgcomics.com/post/126442538026/sunday-strip-watchmen-its-pretty-much-a-very

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean they were retconing Shang-Chi's dad to be the Mandarin.

Originally his dad was Fu Manchu.

Marvel lost the rights to Fu Manchu a long time ago, the comics also retconned his dad years ago (although they didn't use the Mandarin afaik)

Of course if anyone could have managed to buy the rights to Sax Rohmer's back catalogue it would have been Disney but I guess they weren't all that concerned

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Fu Manchu was public domain by now.

The first three pre-1923 books are now public domain but Sax Rohmer's estate trademarked the character

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

[distorted tones start playing]

I'm a Barbie girl

[burnt out armageddon scenery]

in a Barbie world

[dirty stragglers starving in see thru bubbles]

Life in plastic

[gun fire, bodies, blonde hair whipping in the wind]

Isn't it fantastic

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1390748509499011076

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Collapsing Farts posted:

Kraven doesn't even make sense

Why did he single out spiderman as some sort of "greatest hunt"? The world is filled to the brim with superpowered people by now, surely Spiderman is not the greatest trophy... Logically he should be hunting the hulk or Thor or hell, even Iron Man

Jedit posted:

But not Squirrel Girl.

Squirrel Girl and Kraven actually got along together real well (after a bumpy start) and she asked him about the Spider-Man thing and pointed out that there were way more powerful beings in earth and he went "Oh yeah .... boy do I feel foolish!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

man nurse posted:

No Way Home is absolutely going to run into the trouble of “too much poo poo going on” that 3 and Amazing 2 did, and you know what? I’m totally here for it. Throw in the kitchen sink, gently caress it.

A villain buddy movie starring Molina and Dafoe and Keaton and Giamatti etc with occasional appearances by Cumberbatch and Holland would be awesome

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t really care if people want to do them, but outside of specific medical situations it is entirely about vanity and not about health or general fitness.

Some people need to look swole for work :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 1, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

It's as if you look at a poster of Terminator, but actually Michael Biehn is the Terminator.

Sarah Connor was the actual Terminator :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4aqfrwxInw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

in the bts of Ghost Rider 2 you could see flashes of Cage wearing his de los meurtos makeup, which he insisted he wore for every scene where he was Ghost Rider.

It's so great :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2mjhdF6Pog

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

It's a godawful show. I saw three seasons of it because I watched it with a roommate and there are extremely brief glimpses of fun (Kyle MacLachlan is great in season 2) but it's mostly a typical network slog. Even people who seem to love it pull that "you need to watch episodes 1-3, then 5-8, then 11-16 and THEN it starts to get good!" kinda poo poo.

sticklefifer posted:

Nah, AoS is fun, but of course you're not going to have any context for the characters if you drop in at season 4. The first season had to spin its wheels until the MCU did the Hydra reveal, but otherwise it's a light and fun action show with a surprising amount of character development.

Not only was the first season spinning its wheels for the loooooongest time but the schedule was hosed up so quite often there were weeks-long gaps between episodes - it was okay up until November then there was one episode in December, two in January, one in March, and then from April onwards it went back to weekly - which made it an even more excruciating slog

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Everyone posted:

Justice League had to cram three extra origin stories into itself, while the MCU did all those as separate movies and carefully built its universe over a decade or so of films.

This is a story that online nerds created to explain why Justice League was less than half as successful at the box office than the first Avengers film. The MCU had the advantage of fleshing out the characters over a whole bunch of films! The DCEU rushed ahead too fast and paid the price! Meanwhile Guardians of the Galaxy came out and was based around 5 minor comicbook characters that had never appeared in any previous films and had barely any pop culture presence (especially compared to Aqua Man and Flash) yet it still made more money than Justice League. Introducing new characters isn't a disadvantage for a film, if anything it should have been a major drawcard.

Also there were 5 MCU films spread out over four years before Avengers and there were 4 DCEU films spread out over four years before Justice League, the difference in the lead in between the two was pretty minimal. Incredible Hulk and the first Captain America film also weren't anywhere near as popular as the early DCEU films, they sold roughly half as many tickets as much as Man Of Steel.

But somehow it's become accepted wisdom that the Avengers film had massive advantages that helped it become so insanely popular that Justice League didn't.

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah, but now to actually get into the MCU and start, you need to be willing to watch something like 2 or 300 hundred hours of movies and TV shows.

The MCU has been around for 13 years now, a huge percentage of cinema goers have been watching those films since they were a kid.It's just part of the cinema landscape now, like Star Wars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robot Style posted:

If people cared about things like being familiar with a character's internal life, or bringing the context of their experiences into a new situation, then the MCU would have run out of steam long ago because the characters just default to template after every movie.

If they grew and developed as people and actually dealt with their traumas instead of covering over them with humour then there'd be less quips. :ssh:

FilthyImp posted:

Lol you simpleton, you absolute knob.

Black Widow was introduced in Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye had a bit part in Thor!

Yeah pretty much every character in Avengers had previously appeared and - much more importantly - had their individual quip styles defined. Loki was mean-quippy, Thor was bro-quippy, Fury was sarcastic-quippy, Coulson was dry-quippy, Hawkeye was I'm-too-old-for-this-poo poo quippy, etc etc.. Hulk/Banner hadn't been quippy enough in his standalone film so he had to get a do-over as dorky-quippy.

I mean, look at the very first trailer for the movie - the big character interaction moment at 1:10 is Captain America and Iron Man trading snarky comments and Thor sniggering off to the side. That was the real showdown that the audience was tuning in to see: quips quips quips!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNdBpGMv8

The second trailer had almost no quips but leaned really hard on the idea that the movie is mostly about the Avengers fighting among themselves and struggling to work past their differences and come together as a team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR8Ar-Z4hw

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't think it's good that people are now celebrating that the MCU was able to shed all pretense and place that concern first and foremost.

I'm not celebrating it, I think it was a coldly calculated business move to pander to audiences.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm pretty sure that the Marvel/Disney executives sat down at some point and wrote up a big list of the essential ingredients for a smash hit superhero/comic movies based on the previous biggest hits (Superman 78, Batman 89, TMNT 90, Spider-Man 02, etc) and right at the top of the list was "The hero acts like a smug rear end in a top hat during dramatic moments"

People forget that Reeve's Superman was a total dick. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ykt4GD7jtQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The best part is all that superdickery is extremely faithful to the comics

https://superdickery.com/tag/superman-is-a-dick/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KVeezy3 posted:

Snyder has made multiple ensemble films that are self-contained, but he was doing something different with his Superman trilogy, where the protagonists have the narrative space & capacity to take on a mythical stature. Take for example, Batman v Superman, which only has two super-heros to 'introduce' but results in a narrative with a fairly complex & interweaving structure, even with Wonder Woman remaining the character with a Dark and Mysterious Past until the end.

Intrinsically linked to this is that Snyder was allowed to make these kind of films, and then had his legs repeatedly cut off near the finish line.

Yeah I think that studio interference had a MUCH bigger influence in Justice League's comparative lack of success than any other factor, all else considered. On the flip side, a different kind of studio interference was undoubtedly a big part of what cemented the MCU's popularity, ensuring that all the films stuck to the 'brand' and didn't stray too far from the formula. Comparing the DCEU to the MCU has always been apples to oranges, they were always built differently from the ground up.

But on the other hand the hype for Justice League just wasn't there to start with, they had a massive marketing engine pushing it but it had a relatively soft opening compared to the previous DCEU films (especially BvS) and never really picked up steam. It was directly competing against Thor: Ragnarok at the box office as well which didn't help, since even though it wasn't one of the biggest MCU films it was certainly a fun one. The forced humour in JL would have looked even more awkward in direct comparison to Taika Waititi's gags.

Everyone posted:

One point about GotG is that by the time it was released, there had already been nine previous MCU movies, all of which were at least relatively well received by audiences. So the MCU was a successful brand at this point. Audiences had come to trust that whatever else Guardians of the Galaxy would be a fun action movie with a good bit of comedy because that's what all the previous MCU movies had been. Also, the MCU was the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Which meant that Guardians of the Galaxy would be an exploration/revelation of a new part of that universe and the new characters in that part of the universe.

Eh, GotG had a middling open weekend but went on to sell a lot more tickets than the MCU films that immediately proceeded it (Thor: Dark World and Captain America: Winter Soldier) so the MCU hype train certainly carried it some of the way but it sure wasn't the entire story.

I suspect a big chunk of the interest came from people going "It's just like Star Wars (with a pinch of Indiana Jones) but the fun goofy older Star Wars movies which didn't take themself too seriously!!!!"
(They hadn't released any trailers for The Force Awakens at that point but people knew it was going to be starring Daisy Ridley and John Boyega so I also suspect there was a tiny tiny contingent going "It's just like Star Wars but not 'woke', it still has a white dude in the lead!" but I doubt they had any noticeable effect on ticket sales.)

Edit: now that I think about it, I suspect GotG's success might have a big effect on the DCEU as well. They'd been developing over a dozen different films based on DC superheroes for well over a decade at that point and they had a whole slate of releases planned which at that point were still unnamed/unannounced but the month after GotG hit screens they suddenly announced that they had their own anti-heroes/Dirty Dozen film Suicide Squad locked in and then soon after that they also announced that their slate of unnamed upcoming films would also include BvS, Wonder Woman, Justice League Part 1, Flash etc.. I guess that pushing Suicide Squad to the front of the line ahead of a lot of their other 'big name' DCEU films probably pushed a planned JL lead-in movie back a few years, plus it doubtlessly changed the DCEU brand. I don't think that Justice League would have beenas jokey/quippy as it ended up being if they hadn't had such a big success with Suicide Squad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Male oral sex is portrayed much more than women, otherwise I'd agree with your extraneous pleasure prevention theory

Quite often those scenes are more about the power dynamic/control they're exerting ("It's not going to suck itself") than the pleasure aspect

See also Rose McGowan forcing a dude to deepthroat a popsicle in Jawbreaker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS2o-Bbk7b4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of obscenity laws in the UK basically clearly aimed at banning female-domination centric porn? The attitude of most authorities really hasn't caught up with the normalisation of sex after the internet.

Also note that Blue Valentine was originally given an NC-17 rating because of the cunnilingus scene until the producers protested and pointed out that the MPAA regularly hands out R ratings to films featuring fellatio

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
And you may say to yourself, this is not my beautiful stately manor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Justin Godscock posted:

I cannot believe they casually dropped a major spoiler of Abomination coming back. I mean, Tim Roth is returning for She-Hulk but him coming back before then it pretty drat huge given how long ago (and almost forgotten) The Incredible Hulk is to Marvel Studios. This wasn't even a "holy poo poo, guys" moment like Spider-Man in Civil War's trailer. He just suddenly appears in a random scene unannounced.

Eh, it looks like he'll just have a cameo appearance in a stereotypical pit fight scene, I'm guessing he won't feature all that much. But it's interesting to note that they slightly redesigned him to have his classic sideburn fins on his face and a green coloration. Now he looks a lot more like the classic Jack Kirby comicbook version rather than the weird brown lumpy thing with a slightly enlarged spine ridge from the first film.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 25, 2021