Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Found it

"It's hard to get out of bed when you're sleeping in silk sheets with millions of dollars in the bank account, and go into a gym filled with angry people who want to punch you in the face.

"The challenge for a fighter isn't so much the rise to the top, but the attempt to stay at the top.

"The world is full of people who fought hard to get to the top, but then fell quickly because they couldn't handle success."

John Danaher rules.

Especially in the UFC lightweight division. Remember all the guys who had super impressive win streaks at some point, G-Sot, Jim Miller, Melvin Guillard, Donald Cerrone, all of whom went on to get squashed in later fights, because there's always some terrifying new prospect coming up.

Also, Dustin putting it all together over the years has been awesome. Obviously, he's made a shitload of technical improvements, but also mental ones. There was that story Cub Swanson told that, during their fight, Dustin was whispering 'stop, you're taking my destiny away' and that guy, who clearly fought from the heart, has turned himself into a smart, very mentally together and versatile fighter. I rewatched a bunch of his fights recently, and the improvement in his composure and patience is a genuinely crazy.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That seemed to be mostly because he basically couldn't move his lead leg. That owned goddamn

Also, he's a really good counter puncher, but always looks awkward when he has to lead, especially with his hands. That style of punch works super well if the guy is coming after you, but you can't move much as you throw it.

CommonShore posted:

I think Conor vs RDA is the match to make next for Conor

You're a cruel person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shirkelton posted:

Michael Johnson would have killed Conor McGregor.

It's especially amusing since, of their common opponents, they have similar records. They've both knocked out poirier in about a minute and a half and both lost to nate diaz.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Dustin got hit quite a bit with that left, it just didn't do him in.
In the first round, he was trying a few different things to answer it, including twice when he sent a right hook over it.
But he was still landing fewer punches than he was getting.

I forgot how good his killer instinct for finishes is.

I think Conor bought into the bullshit about being able to finish anyone with one shot, ignoring that he's only actually got one knockout like that in his time in the UFC. Every other finish has been an accumulation, a barrage, going right back to Marcus Brimage. He would land the punch, Dustin would back up, and Conor would just stand there. Whether or not Dustin was hurt (he said he was) Conor was in no position to follow up, even before his leg started getting chewed up. I think Conor hits hard, but he's at his best when the other guy is rushing him, and Dustin simply wasn't doing that.

shizen posted:

He also was saying he never lost to khabib in interviews leading up to this fight. His ego is destroyed since khabib outclassed him even while cheating.

His fans are also saying that, that it was his leg that gave out instead of him being knocked out. I have no idea why they think that's better but it's nice to see they're determined to remain the worst fandom in the sport.

Shirkelton posted:

People forgot that Conor is a snappy puncher, but doesn't possess fight altering gently caress you power and also has pretty poor defence.

Really good counter puncher, where he exploits how much they're moving into it. But yeah, he doesn't seem to have that Jeremy Stephens 'doesn't matter what's happening, it'll still loving hurt' kind of power.

Shumagorath posted:

Conor's first fight back after Khabib was also against a guy notorious for melting in any kind of marquee fight (despite having all the tools needed to win).

A guy who is also 37 with 8 billion fights and was coming off getting finished twice in a row.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Cerrone, Gustafsson and Jessica Eye have also fought for belts. They're still gatekeepers.

So did Paul Buentello and Volkan Oezdimir.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I think Conor capitalizes decently when someone is rocked enough. Like with Chad Mendes — he knocked him down and followed in as needed. If he hadn’t been dealt the leg damage, he might have pile enough onto Dustin’s chin to get a similar knockdown in later rounds.

That's because Mendes was so tired that he collapsed against the fence before the punch even landed. I know what you're referring to, but that fight is not a good example. Pouring it on against Brimage, or Brandao or Alvarez is a better exaple.

Even early on, before his leg got chewed up, he was planting himself. It works really well as a counter punching technique, but Dustin was being judicious and not rushing things. It's becoming one of his better traits as a fighter. I rewatched the second Alvarez fight the other day and was struck by how much Dustin restrained himself.

Conor is suffering from there being a lot more tape on him and a much clearer blueprint for what he can do well and what his weaknesses are. He's got two punches he does exceptionally well (the straight left and the lead uppercut that's morephed into a shovel hook over time), but has poor offensive footwork and struggles to lead as a striker.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shirkelton posted:

Conor's a good finisher and has pretty good instincts for when he needs to pile on to get a win

I agree with this, which is why i noticed his issue with that in the fight. Even if Poirier hadn't said it, Conor clearly hurt him two or three times, but every time gave Poirier plenty of time to get back and recover. A lot of that was clearly Dustin having practiced staying light and moving away, but Conor just couldn't follow. A similar thing happened in the Khabib fight. Khabib neutralised a lot of Conor's striking game by simply moving away from him.