Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSs9EDzS4Ik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I just really hope it wasn't a relapse. He seemed healthy and happy though. Maybe heart damage from his earlier years.
The preliminary toxicology screening found ten different substances - "including THC, tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and opioids" according to the official report - during an initial urine toxicology test.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

God drat, Taylor

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Yikes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Welp.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Really terrible news that just doesn't sound right. As far as bands go....a member dying of a drug overdose didn't seem like the kind of thing that could happen....seeing as how close the band members are and how together they seemed to have it. Hurts more knowing the kind of person Hawkins was. Nice, genuine person that everyone seemed to love.

As far as the Foo Fighters go....I simply cannot imagine Dave Grohl hanging it up. Guy seems to have limitless energy.....and would probably go crazy without multiple different projects going at all times. Wouldn't surprise me if their tour was cancelled or at the very least....postponed. Was planning to see them this August when they rolled through the Twin Cities.....but they should absolutely do what is best when assessing the next move. Don't like to speculate or throw out "fun" thoughts.....but I'm going to anyways.....what if Dave tried to mend fences with William Goldsmith (the drummer that quit the band after Grohl re-recorded all his drum tracks on 'The Colour and the Shape'.....and the guy who Hawkins ultimately replaced)?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The only other celebrity death that has ever hosed me up this hard was Alex Trebek

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Really terrible news that just doesn't sound right. As far as bands go....a member dying of a drug overdose didn't seem like the kind of thing that could happen....seeing as how close the band members are and how together they seemed to have it. Hurts more knowing the kind of person Hawkins was. Nice, genuine person that everyone seemed to love.

As far as the Foo Fighters go....I simply cannot imagine Dave Grohl hanging it up. Guy seems to have limitless energy.....and would probably go crazy without multiple different projects going at all times. Wouldn't surprise me if their tour was cancelled or at the very least....postponed. Was planning to see them this August when they rolled through the Twin Cities.....but they should absolutely do what is best when assessing the next move. Don't like to speculate or throw out "fun" thoughts.....but I'm going to anyways.....what if Dave tried to mend fences with William Goldsmith (the drummer that quit the band after Grohl re-recorded all his drum tracks on 'The Colour and the Shape'.....and the guy who Hawkins ultimately replaced)?

Goldsmith has unfortunately gone full Q, so ... not likely.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Laterite posted:

I figured that was a long shot anyways. Maybe Dave can play drums and Louise Post can play lead guitar.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dave should back up geddy lee and alex lifeson for a rush reunion and they’ll all have so much fun they’ll forget about the guy who died

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Dave should back up geddy lee and alex lifeson for a rush reunion and they’ll all have so much fun they’ll forget about the guy who died

That would probably be fun....but you'd have to wonder if Dave Grohl would be interested in joining an inferior band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That would probably be fun....but you'd have to wonder if Dave Grohl would be interested in joining an inferior band.

Hey, not every band can be the Bad Company of the 21st century. Dave might have to slum it with rush for a while.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Hey, not every band can be the Bad Company of the 21st century. Dave might have to slum it with rush for a while.

A lot of 21st century bands similar to 'Bad Company' aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Now I'm hearing that Taylor's heart weighed in at about twice what it should have so I have no idea wtf

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Laterite posted:

Was this a thing with Sunny Day Real Estate generally? I love that first record, but things went... funny.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RestingB1tchFace posted:

LMFAO please be a joke cause... :lol:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

LMFAO please be a joke cause... :lol:

I'm not OP, that was obvious bait. But can you at least give me that Grohl is a better lead singer? I have never been able to get over Geddy Lee's voice, personally. Like nails on a chalkboard, to me. I can't be alone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not OP, that was obvious bait. But can you at least give me that Grohl is a better lead singer? I have never been able to get over Geddy Lee's voice, personally. Like nails on a chalkboard, to me. I can't be alone.

I guess if you’re into that chad kroger/guy-from-hinder type of vocals, Dave grohl is better than geddy lee.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Foo Fighters > Rush

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigFactory posted:

I guess if you’re into that chad kroger/guy-from-hinder type of vocals, Dave grohl is better than geddy lee.

Speaking of bait…

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Speaking of bait…

I mean, just picture in your head: “I GOT ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE!”

And then: “LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH!”

and tell me there’s really any substantial difference. He seems like a great guy and all that, but his voice blends in with all the rest of them.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Speaking as a singer, Grohl has a much clearer and more pleasant tone to his voice than Kroeger/Hinder. I’m not even the biggest Foo Fighters person but that’s absolutely a reason I’d rather listen to them than those other bands

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Speaking as a singer, Grohl has a much clearer and more pleasant tone to his voice than Kroeger/Hinder. I’m not even the biggest Foo Fighters person but that’s absolutely a reason I’d rather listen to them than those other bands

Foo fighters are a better band than either of them I’m sure, but they’re not that different. It’s all late 90s/21st century versions of 70s corporate rock. Bad Company sounded different from Journey who sounded different from Foreigner, but it’s all kinda the same. Take your pick who you like the most.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is genuinely upsetting and wrong.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stev posted:

This is genuinely upsetting and wrong.

Look in your heart, you know it’s true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BigFactory posted:

I mean, just picture in your head: “I GOT ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE!”

And then: “LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH!”

and tell me there’s really any substantial difference. He seems like a great guy and all that, but his voice blends in with all the rest of them.

That's probably why "Best of You" is one of my least favorite Foo songs, although apparently Prince loved it, so therefore I am wrong, and I've made peace with that.

Grohl has definitely been guilty of being too shouty at times, but his non-shouty voice is pretty distinct. Not an all-time great, but I could pick it out of a crowd any day. (And pretty much nobody sounds cooler with a chorus/flange effect.)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Look in your heart, you know it’s true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

Maybe, maybe. That song is a bad choice to make the point though cause its just so awful, and demonstrates that songwriting distinct the bands more than both singers being shouty guys makes them similar.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

BigFactory posted:

Foo fighters are a better band than either of them I’m sure, but they’re not that different. It’s all late 90s/21st century versions of 70s corporate rock. Bad Company sounded different from Journey who sounded different from Foreigner, but it’s all kinda the same. Take your pick who you like the most.

Again, if we’re talking about voices, Grohl has a totally different voice. His voice is higher and cleaner, he even has a a bit of a whine on the end of his notes.
Kroeger has a much lower register, lots of gravel at the end of his notes, and a mushier mouth on lyrics.
Sorry I’m a singer so this kind of thing is a sticking point to me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Grohl is a terrible writer IMO and it seems to only have gotten worse. Choruses are just the same line repeated over and over again. The new thrash album was alright but that song Cold just highlights my issues with him. Best of You is another that just gets on my nerves. It didn't seem to be as annoying on the first few albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

That's probably why "Best of You" is one of my least favorite Foo songs, although apparently Prince loved it, so therefore I am wrong, and I've made peace with that.

Prince loved snorting fentanyl too. I don’t recommend doing that or listening to the foo fighters.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that makes Kroegers voice unbearable isnt just that he growls, its that he growls every line the same way with no dynamics.

Photograph is the most egregious example of this because not only is he red lining every single line there's a harmony behind the whole vocal track thats doing the exact same thing the entire song.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently they were really good around Hesher EP - when they first came out. I've never listened to it but I remember in like grade 12, 1999 one of the teach assistants coming into class and saying how good they were, haha. I thought that was the band name and they changed to Nickleback but it apparently was Nickleback their entire professional career (they started as Village Idiot according to wikipedia).

E: Sounds like any generic rock from the late 90's - Curb album that is, lol. Like Default "Wasting My Time".

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 29, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/foofighters/status/1508878928105988096

I figure everyone assumed, but here’s the announcement that all the future tour stuff is canceled. I wonder if that counts the Grammys.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IUG posted:

https://twitter.com/foofighters/status/1508878928105988096

I figure everyone assumed, but here’s the announcement that all the future tour stuff is canceled. I wonder if that counts the Grammys.

I'm gonna assume yes, barring some sort of tribute they may put together. When are the Grammys again? (Googles) This Sunday?! Yeah, I'm gonna say no way the band themselves are doing anything there. It's way too soon. They MAY appear and not perform, but I doubt even that.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 29, 2022

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I cannot imagine a world in which the Foos go to the Grammys this Sunday

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sir Lemming posted:

Grohl has definitely been guilty of being too shouty at times, but his non-shouty voice is pretty distinct. Not an all-time great, but I could pick it out of a crowd any day. (And pretty much nobody sounds cooler with a chorus/flange effect.)

My biggest pet peeve about Grohl and the main reason I never had any interest in seeing a third Foo Fighters concert was because of Dave’s incessant need to constantly interject every other line in every song with some variation of “COME ON SING IT WITH ME” or “ARE YOU loving READY” or “HERE WE GOOOO” like dude calm the gently caress down and knock that poo poo off

And now Taylor is dead and never has to hear Dave attempt to compell the audience to sing for him two hundred times every night. He’s truly in a better place imo

edit: 🎵 Six colour pictures, all in a row... ARE YOU loving READY!?! COME ON AND loving SING IT WITH MEEEEEEE... Of a marigoooold 🎵

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 31, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tricyclics + benzos + opioids can make you do some really wackadoo poo poo.

don't wanna overshare but a parent had that combo and i'm the reason they're not in a casket because they blacked out and opened their arms up w/ a knife with no idea what they were doing.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Dream Widow reminds me of Mutoid Man without the flair.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/foofighters/status/1534521922293182464

Foo Fighters finally posting something again, now to announce a two-stop tribute concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

gently caress it, months-long double posting. Got an email this morning about the tribute concert.

https://foofighters.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/r/6ED88267504D34392540EF23F30FEDED/2E3FA4556B15BE8A8BD4C707EBCCB890?alternativeLink=False

Might try to watch it via Pluto on Saturday, especially since the time difference (I'm on the East Coast) means that it starts at noon.