Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grakkus posted:

This is definitely the vibe I'm getting too.

Though the good news is he seems isolated enough to not be in a position to harm others

Yeah, I steered away from that thread because that dude gives me 'dead sex workers under the floorboards' vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mustache Ride posted:

I mean.... that's fair.

:smith:

Just joshing with you - it made me chuckle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yesterday was my 3 year wedding anniversary, good great day.

Today kind of sucks balls though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My kitchen renovation was moving at a snail's pace due to a structural issue with a wall we wanted to shorten by 4 inches. Contractor wanted an engineer to check it out and then they proceeded to argue back and forth about how to solve the problem. Was finally fixed tho, and now the structural part is much stronger than it was before so it turned out to be worth it in the long run.

Also earlier I mentioned about the sewer line needing replaced. Well the plumbers that originally miss diagnosed it wanted to start right away of course because they had already sunk a bunch of time into digging it up and running the camera multiple times. They quoted me $4600. I said nah, gonna have to run it by the wife and check our funds for that. They seemed kinda pissy about starting all that work and having to wrap up and leave but not my problem. Went through the plumber that my wife's work uses and they quoted us TWO GRAND less, and looks like we could get a rebate from the city as well so that's good.

Had the granite guy come make the counter templates yesterday, I'm starting the priming and painting and things are starting to look finished thank god this house is a cluttered mess and my OCD is going nuts

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got x-rays yesterday and my surgeon says the bone graft that replaces my left ankle is finally all healed up, so I got clearance to walk around without an orthopedic boot. I had ankle fusion surgery in late October, so it's been a *very* long time since I did that. So far, walking is mostly painless. A little bit of pain in my left toes, and my right foot isn't happy to
have to compensate for how my left foot doesn't move, but I'll get the hang of it.

New orthopedic shoes have been ordered. I need to wear a heel lift on my left side, since I lost a few cm of bone there. I also have to replace most of my socks, since my left ankle is still pretty huge.

I used my newfound freedom to do some laundry last night, and unclog the shower drain this morning. It feels good!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Yesterday was my 3 year wedding anniversary, good great day.

Today kind of sucks balls though.

In fairness that should have occurred last night

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I will leave it at: He has a wealth of knowledge and reliably will point people in the generally right direction, whether they ask for it or not. You can also always count on him to correct people, even the ones who are right.

Goddamn that's funny.

quote:

Apropos of nothing: any homeowners in here who have not refinanced, do it now. I talked to a broker yesterday who said rates started to climb back up. I can still get 2.875% on a thirty-year and 2.625% on a twenty-year through him, and better.com has 2.25% on a fifteen-year. (All no points.) I'm torn: I would love to pay off the house. But here's the thing:

1) The monthly payment difference between the 30 and the 15 is $769.
2) If I overpay $769 on the 30, I pay it off in 15y11m, at a loss of $22k, but have the ability to back off of payments if we need money.
3) If I don't overpay at all and pay it off in 30 years, I lose $78k in accumulated interest.
4) If I invest the difference in an index fund that pays out 5% annually, which is less than the historic average of the S&P 500, in 30 years I end up with ... $640,000.
5) If I just invest for 15 years and pay off any remainder, 5% return would leave me with $204k in investment minus the $78k $193k I still owe 15 years out. (EDITED: I am an idiot and took the interest difference between the two plans, not how much would be left after fifteen years of payments.

Goddamn.

The math on this choice is always a pain in the rear end. I just dropped to a 2.5% 20 year. When I wrote the check for the privilege I knew I probably made a lateral move when you consider investing and payoff period.

On the other hand, the benefit of saving each month opens up the potential of a career change and overall financial security.

For your investment upside, did you consider the income tax you'd have to pay on those investments?

Also did you consider the amortization schedule of your payments, and the expected time you're in the house? I'm certain you beat it on investing, but owning more of your home sooner is pretty great too. When I went from 30 to 20 my payment was a couple hundred more a month but I would own a lot more of my house on 5 years. I think it was like a 25k difference. I couldn't come close to that on extra payment in the short term.

Somehow I find finance to be the most boring made up profession but when it comes to my finances I get deep into analyzing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You would pay LTCG on those investments not ordinary income tax.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My state of Georgia is really pissing me off with all the restrictive voting laws they're trying to pass through since we dared elected some democrats.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You would pay LTCG on those investments not ordinary income tax.

I didn't know that, looks like 15% based on the numbers above, at 15 yrs and 20% at 30

Edit, it's all theory on where you are in 15 years but man it's close!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Does anyone know if there is a fix to all of mail in Gmail being in the trash? I am already having a rough day and my mom is calling me in tears telling me to fix it and I can't. She has 208k emails in trash. Yes that is ridiculous. But when your mom is in tears because she is about to lose emails from dead family members I don't know. I have had multiple gmail accounts since '04 and never had this issue.

I paid off my house when I could, I don't know it that is the right decision or not, but I figure if I don't wake up one morning the kids have a paid off house and life insurance.

Trying to read the truck/murderhaus thread not liking where this is going

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coredump posted:

My state of Georgia is really pissing me off with all the restrictive voting laws they're trying to pass through since we dared elected some democrats.

It's the worst. I'm split 50/50 on whether I love and miss my home state or whether GA pisses me off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StormDrain posted:

I didn't know that, looks like 15% based on the numbers above, at 15 yrs and 20% at 30

Edit, it's all theory on where you are in 15 years but man it's close!

LTCG rates depend on your income, so it's tough to say really because we don't have the OP's income. But LTCG is much cheaper than equivalent bracket income tax.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

everdave posted:

Does anyone know if there is a fix to all of mail in Gmail being in the trash? I am already having a rough day and my mom is calling me in tears telling me to fix it and I can't. She has 208k emails in trash. Yes that is ridiculous. But when your mom is in tears because she is about to lose emails from dead family members I don't know. I have had multiple gmail accounts since '04 and never had this issue.

I don't know what could cause it, but you/she should be able to go into the trash, click the checkbox to select all, then Move To Inbox. I only have 600 emails in my trash, but it gave me a message at the top saying that it could select all 100 on the page I was on, or all 600 total.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LTCG rates depend on your income, so it's tough to say really because we don't have the OP's income. But LTCG is much cheaper than equivalent bracket income tax.

Yeah I just made the assumption OP isn't making over 496k a year unless he was selling that much in investments lol. Or losing money either I suppose. Wide rear end bracket.

I can also accept that I don't understand it right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

Go into gmail settings, turn on IMAP. Install an IMAP capable email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird. Should be able to mass select everything in trash and move it back to the inbox. It will take quite awhile.

You can't select more than 50 messages at a time in the web client. Get on it before Gmail deletes everything. How the hell did she manage to move everything to the trash anyway? Was she already using an email client and accidentally selected everything and click "delete"?

edit: oh... Google started actually enforcing their 15GB limit on your entire Google account recently. With 208k emails, it's possible Google force moved all of the older stuff to trash. Might be worth paying the $20/year for the 100GB plan if that's what happened.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 25, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mortgage chat -- I refi'd in 2017, 15 year at 2.875. I've been paying it off for about a 9 year end point. At this point, I've paid it down so much that mortgage interest isn't enough to itemize anymore. It's hard, and going to get harder, to keep from just paying it off directly and being mortgage free. But it's still too much of an outlay to comfortably do that.

I just had a 2.5% CD mature and don't know where to put money. I have a strong distrust for the stock market... it's always seemed like a house of cards. But I've said that for so long that I wonder if the powers that be have stacked the house of cards so high that it's actually self-supporting now. Whatever the case, I am flounding with where to put money. No regular bank accounts pay poo poo right now and I'm just burning potential with cash sitting in a .5% account. :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Whatever the case, I am flounding with where to put money.
Import and resell Japanese cars!

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

everdave posted:

Does anyone know if there is a fix to all of mail in Gmail being in the trash?

I'd check mail filters, it's possible that one got created for something like "Recipient: your-mother, Tag with: Trash". You could then create a filter that moves things out of the trash, and apply it to existing mail.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

Mortgage chat -- I refi'd in 2017, 15 year at 2.875. I've been paying it off for about a 9 year end point. At this point, I've paid it down so much that mortgage interest isn't enough to itemize anymore. It's hard, and going to get harder, to keep from just paying it off directly and being mortgage free. But it's still too much of an outlay to comfortably do that.

I just had a 2.5% CD mature and don't know where to put money. I have a strong distrust for the stock market... it's always seemed like a house of cards. But I've said that for so long that I wonder if the powers that be have stacked the house of cards so high that it's actually self-supporting now. Whatever the case, I am flounding with where to put money. No regular bank accounts pay poo poo right now and I'm just burning potential with cash sitting in a .5% account. :smith:

I'm shocked you're still able to itemize.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Mortgage stuff

I'm so pissed, I was ready to refi last year for 15 years at 2.25%, and my bank dragged their feet so bad that my credit check expired and they were like "well you can reapply."

Now I'm out of time to do it, and I won't be eligible again for a couple years because of work stuff.

Fortunately 4% isn't that bad, and I owe so little on my house there's a good chance I can pay it off in 5 years if my employment tracks where I want it to.

Coredump posted:

Gotta suppress that vote until the "right" people can elect the "right" candidates again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

loving same, Georgia brother.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

... I'm certain you beat it on investing, but owning more of your home sooner is pretty great too ...

Yeah, I loving hate debt, so I might just so with the middle option of a twenty-year with some overpayment and a side of "get my wife to invest some of the money from her job that she's not doing anything with, holy poo poo, woman."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

Import and resell Japanese cars!

Madness! That could never work!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Considering the dot bomb and the financial crisis of 08' I don't trust this system enough to endure a 20-30 year mortgage when the notion of job security or a career died decades ago. Never loving mind a wage that has kept pace with inflation so that one could ride out the bullshit games the wealthy play.

When you are your only support and safety net; act accordingly.

Elviscat posted:

Gotta suppress that vote until the "right" people can elect the "right" candidates again.

CommieGIR posted:

loving same, Georgia brother.

lol. Back to the discussion a few weeks ago, wonder why I don't like the south? here's yet another reason.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Considering the dot bomb and the financial crisis of 08' I don't trust this system enough to endure a 20-30 year mortgage when the notion of job security or a career died decades ago. Never loving mind a wage that has kept pace with inflation so that one could ride out the bullshit games the wealthy play.

When you are your only support and safety net; act accordingly.
Hey, same! Do you also have that ever-present existential dread that you might someday not be able to keep up?

I've literally spent my entire adult life worrying that if one of many particular things completely outside my control goes wrong, it will all fall apart.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wzm posted:

I'd check mail filters, it's possible that one got created for something like "Recipient: your-mother, Tag with: Trash". You could then create a filter that moves things out of the trash, and apply it to existing mail.

Thanks, and thanks STR too, no filters were applied I don't know what the F is going on, I am logged in and manually moved like 900 emails to inbox. It says she is only using 13gb. I myself have updated to the 100gb but I have never had this issue, it was mainly for Google Drive and backing up my car paperwork and videos I have transferred from VHS.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Madness! That could never work!

It literally paid off my house but I still have no idea how lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

Hey, same! Do you also have that ever-present existential dread that you might someday not be able to keep up?

I've literally spent my entire adult life worrying that if one of many particular things completely outside my control goes wrong, it will all fall apart.

It comes and goes. I don't think it's healthy but it's at least practical, if you work to avoid it. During my funemployment I'd spend time worrying what will happen if I can't get the same level of job. I also could check my bank account and measure out how long I could make it, which fortunately is a while....and it wasn't always that way.

The poo poo that'll destroy you is if you worry about your main asset cratering in value, where will you be then.

My old work neighbor Matt told a story where he saw his coworker get chewed out brutally by an rear end in a top hat boss. The coworker just took it and got back to work. Matt asked wtf are you OK, and the guy says he needs the job desperately so what can he do? Just go back to work. Matt decided from then on he wanted enough financial independence that h the could tell someone to gently caress off and walk off. So I took that advice to heart. I am not there yet, and with Covid even my best attempt would have fallen short since it seems to take forever to get a new job.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

lol. Back to the discussion a few weeks ago, wonder why I don't like the south? here's yet another reason.

"Nooooo, Don't make fun of the South", I say with extreme sarcasm.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Matt decided from then on he wanted enough financial independence that h the could tell someone to gently caress off and walk off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

The poo poo that'll destroy you is if you worry about your main asset cratering in value, where will you be then.
What's a main asset?

Oh, you mean like my health/body, which is definitely going to fall apart in the not so distant future? :v:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That quote is the only good part of this movie. Great life advice tho.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

That quote is the only good part of this movie. Great life advice tho.
That's the dream, but they call it the dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

What's a main asset?

Oh, you mean like my health/body, which is definitely going to fall apart in the not so distant future? :v:

Already got a head start on that :smith:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

NGL the thread was funny to start but there's a weird vibe coming off it too much like 14" for my liking and it looks like other than AI posters he's being egged on. AI posters are seeing things that are uncomfortable because we saw the trainwreck at the end of the 14" odyssey and just how horribly bad it ended, thence we're being (understandably) taking a different stance.

I hope the situation doesnt go the way I fear it will and ends badly.

Look, this is 100% fair and I get it. But did you see where motronic strapped a sawzall to an excavator and clunked it against the post?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I will leave it at: He has a wealth of knowledge and reliably will point people in the generally right direction, whether they ask for it or not. You can also always count on him to correct people, even the ones who are right.

Snark aside, the forum wouldn't be the same without him and I absolutely am one of the people he's course-corrected. He's somewhere in the vicinity of me and if he needed a hand or was a beer short I'd help the guy out.

Apropos of nothing: any homeowners in here who have not refinanced, do it now. I talked to a broker yesterday who said rates started to climb back up. I can still get 2.875% on a thirty-year and 2.625% on a twenty-year through him, and better.com has 2.25% on a fifteen-year. (All no points.) I'm torn: I would love to pay off the house. But here's the thing:

1) The monthly payment difference between the 30 and the 15 is $769.
2) If I overpay $769 on the 30, I pay it off in 15y11m, at a loss of $22k, but have the ability to back off of payments if we need money.
3) If I don't overpay at all and pay it off in 30 years, I lose $78k in accumulated interest.
4) If I invest the difference in an index fund that pays out 5% annually, which is less than the historic average of the S&P 500, in 30 years I end up with ... $640,000.
5) If I just invest for 15 years and pay off any remainder, 5% return would leave me with $204k in investment minus the $78k $193k I still owe 15 years out. (EDITED: I am an idiot and took the interest difference between the two plans, not how much would be left after fifteen years of payments.

Goddamn.

My two cents - you can make this decision based on math which I think will almost certainly have you borrowing at the very low mortgage rate and investing at the much higher stock market rate and making the spread. Or you can make it based on what will make you happiest. Which, it sounds like, is having no mortgage as fast as you can.

Safety Dance posted:

I got x-rays yesterday and my surgeon says the bone graft that replaces my left ankle is finally all healed up, so I got clearance to walk around without an orthopedic boot. I had ankle fusion surgery in late October, so it's been a *very* long time since I did that. So far, walking is mostly painless. A little bit of pain in my left toes, and my right foot isn't happy to
have to compensate for how my left foot doesn't move, but I'll get the hang of it.

New orthopedic shoes have been ordered. I need to wear a heel lift on my left side, since I lost a few cm of bone there. I also have to replace most of my socks, since my left ankle is still pretty huge.

I used my newfound freedom to do some laundry last night, and unclog the shower drain this morning. It feels good!

Just in time for summer dirt bikes?

everdave posted:

Thanks, and thanks STR too, no filters were applied I don't know what the F is going on, I am logged in and manually moved like 900 emails to inbox. It says she is only using 13gb. I myself have updated to the 100gb but I have never had this issue, it was mainly for Google Drive and backing up my car paperwork and videos I have transferred from VHS.

You may be able to share your 100g with her as part of a family plan. My gmail at least you can click "all" on the little box in the trash and then move to inbox that way.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Already got a head start on that :smith:
:smith::hf::smith: Same.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My digestive system would like to remind me that I am aging.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, rent's going up by $54/month. And some monthly fees are increasing too, so it's more like $70/mo. That's not that much overall, but seeing as they're advertising my floorplan for less than I'm currently paying.... :fuckoff: OTOH I have well over 800 sq ft, which is a pretty generous size for a 1 bedroom apartment. The kitchen is nice and big too, not a galley kitchen. I really don't want to move yet again either, and "non refundable pet deposits" can eat a bag of microdicks.

I do have two storage units (both 10x10, both climate controlled with elevator access). One of them is pretty empty, one is packed to the gills. Packed to the gills is running about $100/mo, the other is half (different companies). Gonna try and consolidate into the cheaper one, even though it means renting a box truck and taking a day or two off of work. Or, preferably, seeing if the one that's packed out has another available unit at a cheaper rate, but I doubt that's happening (it's a much newer and nicer place, vs the other one that's probably 20-25 years old). Some of it is stuff that can go in the garage (car parts etc), some of it is stuff I just need to get rid of. I DO NOT want to turn my garage into a storage room again; garages are for car poo poo and sometimes man caves, they are not for storing household poo poo. :argh:

Upside: I just got a raise. Downside: I won't know how much it is until my paystub generates next pay cycle. We get 2 a year until we hit "midpoint", the one early in the year doesn't come with a review, hence why I don't know how much it is yet (it should be in the area of 5-10%). The one later in the year comes with a full sit down chat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

What's a main asset?

I actually meant a house for me, a la the 2008 collapse, but it could be a car or a pile of gold or guns or buckets of freeze dried food or a really nice rock.

Bodies are a liability. I didn't ask for it, I have to feed it all the time and cut parts and clean it. gently caress that. That's why I poison it a little from time to time. So we know where we stand.