Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I loving hate it when you spend the whole game scrounging for ammo because you use it all wiping whole squads, only for your teammates to rush in and pick the deathboxes clean while you heal up.

You can shield swap off a death box, grab some ammo and loot, then switch back to your shield to heal it assuming it's better than the one you grabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

freebooter posted:

drat you guys get state-based servers? After the first few weeks of a new season I have to make the long haul to Singapore or Japan if I want to play ranked.

Also, is anyone else getting weird lag? Had one I'd never encountered before today, which was like everything was moving in slow motion; as though I was walking around and picking things up underwater. It was slow but perfectly smooth, whereas usually lag is more, like, juddery. You'll suddenly appear right at a door you were walking towards etc.

The US is gigantic and only certain states have servers. I live in the southeastern US and my best choices are South Carolina, New York, or Dallas Texas. Like that poster said, we used to have Virginia servers but those were really bad a lot of the time so I don't miss them. I've barely had any issues playing on SC servers this season but NY has been 50/50 decent/terrible so I've been staying away from them recently.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

xtal posted:

I guess because everyone likes Horizon it's time for me to ask this. Does her passive actually do anything?

Yes, Reddit is currently whining and calling for it to be nerfed because it's insanely good if you've put in the time to get good at movement. You can air strafe and tap strafe much more quickly which helps you evade shots and get into cover easily.

45 second tutorial on tap strafing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GreM5w6Jks4

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Carillon posted:

I had the weirdest ring ending on King's Canyon tonight. It ended up pretty much focused over Mirage's voyage out over the water. We were coming up I guess from Terminal station towards Skull salvage and got cutoff, had to run through the ring to get over the bridge and into safety. Essentially the final ring was on the ship. It was very weird.

Final ring can end on Voyage. There was a bug the first week of the season that was causing it to happen way more often than it should have but they patched it. I've had probably 6 games this season that ended there including one earlier tonight.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I would be interested to know why they shut down a bunch of servers though. Last time I looked, they'd shut down several in the US at least. As someone pointed out earlier, the Virginia/DC server has been offline for at least a few months.

Virginia servers were poo poo. I know because I used to default to them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

here in vegas my only server options are oregon or dallas, with utah *sometimes* appearing but being prone to just randomly throwing me out of games.

I don't know about this season but Dallas was usually very good. It's one of the main ones streamers would use because it was pretty much always stable. I used to connect to it instead of VA or SC even though I lived in SC. (yes, I would default to VA while living in SC for some reason.)

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Daztek posted:

You still get legend tokens yes, just no apex packs

Yeah, anytime you would have gained a new level it will give you tokens.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Had a hell of a bug earlier. Been used to a weird lag in the first game of a given session but this was on another level. The game was running in straight up slow motion. Not low FPS either, just Zak Snyder rear end slow motion. It wasn't just me either, both my team-mates had it as well and judging how they moved, so did everyone else in that match. It took about 7 mins all told to actually get from the character select to dropping it was running so weird. Is this a known thing?

This used to happen in like 20% of games pre season 1. It's the reason I gave up on the game before coming back for season 4.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I thought I was doing okay getting kills but apparently you don’t get a kill kill unless you are the one to finish them off.

I see stuff on the action reader where it will say; (my name) (pic of gun) (their name)

But apparently that doesn’t mean a kill because at the end of the match it didn’t report my kills as equivalent

Anyone can finish them off as long as you're the one that knocked them and your team doesn't die before they're finished. Either they got picked up by a teammate or you died before they did.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

God i hope heat shields are still craftable at the next algs event. I wanna see the absolute peak of degenerate gameplay.

:same:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Diddler posted:

What platform? On PS it seems to be Gauntlet, Crash Site, the Cage, and whatever's closest in the Repulsor/Hydro Dam/Labs/Capacitor line. I assume it's pretty similar on other platforms.

On PC it's usually Crash Site, Capacitor, Labs, Spotted Lake, or Salvage depending on flight path. No one really drops Cage or Containment anymore.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

What's the deal with broken relay? Never see anyone else drop there and it's a free explosive hold

Doesn't have a ton of loot but it's a great position for flanking teams from Rig trying to third party Capacitor or wrapping around to the west to gatekeep people trying to leave Capacitor. You will sometimes see people drop there in ranked because of this but usually just one team.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

What the actual gently caress lol

It's been there for months but not many people knew about it. Mostly exploited in high level ranked so people wouldn't lose rp.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Oh man i love collecting ooze for my batteries and backpacks what will i do now?

Take them off the boxes of your enemies.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

If I'm in Origin can I play with Steam friends?

Yup, console friends as well.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

:stare: holy poo poo, I had no idea

Yeah, according to a dev post on reddit from January she has the highest winrate.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pympede posted:

I've always wondered why Apex doesn't automatically keep you in your squad and just load another round. It's hard to find a rhythm with new randoms every time and by making that the norm most people would stay and start gelling.

Cause anytime you leave the group you're pretty much telling people that they're poo poo and you don't want to play with them. The current system you're telling people that you enjoyed playing with them and would like to try again.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I guess nobody else liked those weird little single player missions because they just dropped that concept entirely

I liked them. I also liked that it would bug out and make you champion squad every time you played a real round after running through one of them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

I think duos in ranked might be the way to go. You don’t get matched up against too many premade teams, and sometimes your pubby can kill a dude.

Eh, I think I usually had a worse time as a duo than a solo. Most people going in solo are only concerned about their RP and no one else's so it's much harder to get them to play as a team. They'll be less likely to engage and more likely to abandon an engagement that's winnable in an attempt to protect themselves from potentially losing RP. So then you get two people trying to work together and play as a unit and one person who will drop both of you the instant it seems convenient for them.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 6, 2021

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

kaffo posted:

I play at 90 FPS stable and I'm still bad.
I think it's because I'm not playing at 120 FPS tbh

I was getting 80-120fps most of the time at 1440p and recently dropped to 1080p so I could get a solid 143fps and consistent input lag. Took a few days to adjust but it definitely helped a bit.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Midniter posted:

There's also some sort of additional weird annoying bug to the "play 1 ranked game at your previous rank" thing...this split, Chemmy was stuck in Plat for a half dozen games and wouldn't de-rank until he actually went +RP in one of his games (he was hot dropping and just trying to die early so he could de-rank to play with us, who were de-ranked to high Silver). I wish they'd fix that poo poo.

I've had this bug at the start of two previous seasons. Really sucks when it's the day after the reset and everyone you're playing against is Master or Pred and you have to go positive to reset to your actual rank.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

kaffo posted:

Uhhh I was in the middle of an unranked game and I got disconnected with a message saying I'd been banned.
Except I've not got an email about it and I can still log in, but I can't group with my friends. Haven't tried a solo game yet though, so I'm not sure if I can play, but something funky is going on.

Anyone had this before?

Are you on PS4? Some weird poo poo has been going on with their PS4 servers with accounts getting banned or losing all of their progress.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

dogstile posted:

I play with a good lifeline and that shield is very, very good. Taking it away for faster drone healing and guaranteed loot upgrades isn't even close to a fair trade. She's getting dumpstered.

Yup, the shield was what made her OP. She had a free rez and got to pop a free cell or battery behind it in most cases. Most people aren't going to be able to nade you when getting rezzed behind it unless they have a good high ground spot above you in which case you're probably hosed anyway.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This discussion has me worried I don’t actually know how to drop properly :ohdear:

Always look straight down when first dropping from the ship to get maximum speed. If you're dropping into a hotspot, jump when 600m from your target and aim just under where you want to land so you have maximum speed for the entire drop. Should be right about 147m/s. If you're trying for a far drop, jump 1,000m from your target and dive until you hit 145m/s, level out, then every time your speed drops to 135m/s dive until it gets back up to 145m/s then level out again.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

Also, they nerfed the way you could jump on a zipline over and over again so its super easy to hit people on the zipline.

It's weird that I almost never see people jump on the zipline anymore when all they did was limit the number of times you could grab it again. It's still there. You can still use it to avoid getting shot. You just can't spam it the entire time now.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Look up and learn basic movement techs, movement is more key to this game than guns and map experience honestly.

Funnily enough, Noko just said movement wasn't very important on stream yesterday. He said that having good aim, good positioning, good rotations, and being smart about how you take fights is much more important than movement.

e: Having good movement can definitely help you out of a jam occasionally, though, and can be very fun. There are situations you will get into maybe once every few games where you can save yourself and win the fight using advanced movement techniques where you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2021

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

denereal visease posted:

Been on the bench for the last 4 months, but I have otherwise played the poo poo out of this game since Launch.

How much has the meta shifted during Season 6 and 7?

Horizon has a higher win rate than Wraith. Octane is also op, which I thought I would never say. Volt is a better SMG than the R-99. Snipers are actually good now. Quite a lot has changed.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man in the eyeball hat posted:

I think Volt is kind of an intermediary between R-301 and R-99, but I haven't checked the DPS on the Volt. R-99 still lasers people up close, so I feel like the Volt fires a little too slow to beat the R-99 for a fixed length of fire time

R-99 has a TTK of .98 and Volt has TTK of 1.02 but you have to hit every bullet with the R-99 to get a kill whereas if you can do that with the Volt you can kill two people with purple shields in one purple mag. Volt's recoil is easier to control as well. I'll usually plop a 2x on it and use it as a 301 substitute.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

egg tats posted:

skulltown at least has a really cool name

bonsai plaza is my fave drop there, you usually get a few people on either side, so you tend to have 2-3 clearly defined battles right in a row, but with time to patch up a bit in between

occasionally it's a 9 team clusterfuck, but there's a fair few ways to disengage in that case

Yeah, Bonzai is the best hot drop spot on Olympus imo. Land on one side up top, grab a gun and get a few kills if another team landed on your side, then push for the center as soon as you can and try to hold it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

Seriously they shouldn’t be adding so many weapons that make the skill ceiling even higher; the ceiling is super high already. If anything they should introduce a gun that requires a lower skill to use to stop frustrating the player base.

They did it's called the Spitfire.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pedestrian Xing posted:

A lot of PC goons would probs play with console players. I have, it was fine.

Viper was also memed really hard, hence the catchphrases.

Yeah, nobody cares if you're a console player in the Discord. I'm a PC player and half of my club is console players and some of them are ridiculously good.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Generic American posted:

Brace yourself for SKATE 4 :krad:

Skate 4 was already officially announced by EA last year. Hopefully it will be something different.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sdr782 posted:

Anyone notice they changed the colorblind options? I used the tritanopia option because it would make the dot sight crosshair yellow instead of red but now they changed the damage number colors around so i cant tell if someone is flesh or has gold shield/white shield. I am guessing the new colors are better for people that actually have color blindness but for me it was perfect before. Really need an option to change crosshair/dot sight colors. The red is too hard to see when in the gas or on certain locations like the lava areas of Worlds edge.

Yeah, I'm glad they updated it for the colorblind people but it really sucks not being able to use it. It's so much easier to see people when ADSing using the yellow dot instead of the red.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Argento posted:

Is there a group for the forum? Almost maxed out this season pass.

If you mean a club, there are too many people here playing to fit in one club. Most people play together on the goon Discord. There's a link in the OP but I'm not sure if it's current.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Overall I think most of the changes are good but train yard is so tiny that it's useless for anything but rotating now and the two new rotations they added look pretty pointless unless they expanded geyser as well.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

So I booted it up for the first time since launch along with a buddy and we've spent the week getting murdered. In BR we pretty much get vaporized the instant we commit to an engagement, whether we drop hot or drop on the edge doesn't really matter. We tried arena to get used to the guns and I'm currently 3-12 with a .36 K/D. It feels like we either get completely steamrolled or we're sidekicks to some high level dude who carries us. We had one game where it felt evenly matched with bad players all around and that was a lot of fun.

We spent some time at the firing range but it hasn't really translated into live targets who are doing corner peaking headshots and all sortsa other backflip crouch jump side strafe sliding shenanigans while murdering us. Like honestly even when we're just standing there stationary five feet away from each other it feels like I'm somehow missing shots that should be gimmes. Is it just tough titties cause we suck or is there a way for us to get into matches with other people who suck? I'm trying to figure out whether I want to spend more time in this game or just do something else until Battlefield, I think I might be too slow at my advanced age to hang with this game lol

Play ranked. It at least puts an upper skill cap on the people you face. You will still run into ridiculously good players occasionally but they will quickly move up out of your rank.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Vengarr posted:

The drone glows green and roars like a jet engine while informing anyone it sees “WARNING: YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED (by a drone!)”

Leaving it parked ensures it’ll die super quick.

E: give him one of the RC car drones from Rainbow Six. Parking those in stupid spots to spy on the defenders was great.

This is why you tuck it into an area where they can't shoot it like under their platform, on the roof of the building they're in, etc.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

hey, you could get lucky and have it pop before! You never know, the guaranteed one is basically a pity prize in case you get that unlucky.

This is true. TimTheTatMan has been playing Apex recently and wanted a guaranteed heirloom yesterday so he bought 500 packs and spent two hours opening them on stream. He actually ended up getting two of them. The first was on pack 50 and the second was pack 470.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the best counters to Seer right now are Wattson for repairing the chip damage and Rampart for setting up defenses where if he scans you he'll run into a wall of death he didn't see.

The next best counter is to wait a few weeks for them to nuke him from orbit.

I think turtling up with Caustic is going to end up being one of the main counters to Seer because none of the info matters that much if you can't push into their building. Probably part of the reason they buffed him. Get Lifeline and maybe Wattson in there too and you're probably solid.

Also, saw Noko pulling a big brain play with Octane the other day that I thought I should share. If you throw your shield down the instant Seer does his Q then pick it back up you'll auto heal the 10 flesh damage and can save your cells.

e: And I don't know if it's been mentioned here but you can even run around at full speed while using the heartbeat sensor if you hold Seer's Q down.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lmao I don't even have the reaction speed to press A or D to sidestep out of that poo poo, no way I can accomplish that.

You can guess when it's about to happen a lot of the time, assuming you know that there's a Seer around. I very rarely get hit by the Q because it gives you a second to dodge out of it and I'm usually not stacked up right on top of my teammates since I'm looking for different angles/flanking opportunities.