Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I like the Baccano dub better than the original audio, partly because the English VAs did a great job and partly because it all takes place in like 1920s/30s USA and having a bunch of New York gangsters speaking Japanese just doesn't fit the setting at all.

But besides that,

Sakurazuka posted:

All Of Them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

why is everyone getting mad at grouchio the one time he was completely correct

Yeah for real.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

gacha brought us queer icons like astolfo, venti, etc. So it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

It's possible for the characters and art and writing and setting to all be awesome, and the business model to be thoroughly evil, at the same time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

What the heck nooo! This is one series where I would have loved an extra ten chapters of aimless wind-down comedy or "where are they now" with the fun cast after the whole final battle stuff is over.

When I first tried to read Rokudou, I bounced off the first three chapters pretty hard. Very glad I gave it a second chance after seeing so many goons here enjoying it. It's been my favorite running shounen along with Iruma-kun these last couple years.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm-5NQ6N04E

Yaaaa - maaaa - TOOOOOOO!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I enjoyed going through the whole absurdity of watched endless eight in its entirety. It also gave me an excuse to drink a bit too much beer by myself and clutch my head like Psyduck every few minutes, which was fun.

Haruhi is a poo poo though, can't argue with that.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Excel Saga had a gag about this in 1999 lol

That's because Excel Saga is smart and funny, please everyone go watch absurd 90's gag comedy Excel Saga.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Grouchio posted:

How many breads have you eaten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctyUV2ZW58c

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Taima posted:

What should I watch next anime friends

You like enjoyable characters and watching them grow?

Watch Chihayafuru!

Or if you want some more gripping / heavy character drama, I would say Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and March Comes in like a Lion are two of the best-written anime series of the last decade.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Is that the Antarctica one? I still haven't seen that yet.

Yeah. It's only 13 episodes, and super worth watching. I think it got ADTRW AOTY for 2018? Everyone loved it including me.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

So many good shows on that list. Thanks for reminding me that I still have to watch Planet With.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm still sad Akanesasu/Girl in Twilight is the forgotten 2018 show as it was so good but it aired during the same cour as Gridman, Bloom into you and Zombie Land Saga and whelp

Ahhh, that one's on my list too! And I haven't even started on the Fruits Basket remake . . . too many good anime and not enough time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah nothing turned me away from it faster than people using the horrific gore scenes as the highlights of why you should watch it lol

The disturbing body horror and depictions of children suffering is what got me to drop the manga entirely and then pass on watching the anime when it aired. That poo poo made me feel physically ill and gave me nightmares, ugh. The worldbuilding was fascinating but I just have no tolerance for the other stuff in that series.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Manga is pretty sweet, because there's pictures that go along with the reading.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nobody asked about jojo, smh

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Berserk just Conan (the Barbarian) meets the Evil Dead? Or at least that's what that one CG anime from 2016 felt like.

https://i.imgur.com/jzmlixe.gifv

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mission Hill is American slice of life.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Naoki Urasawa talks old times and digital drawing with his former assistant. I'm so happy this guy started making youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HouvHJFLlxs

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

What's it like tone wise compared to Lane and Texhnolyze?

Much less high-strung than those series. Haibane is dreamy, mysterious, and very bittersweet. I love it just as much as Lain, but for very different reasons because it elicits very different emotions.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I just finished binge reading Blue Period up to current.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and the art is fantastic. The MC can have a frustrating lack of self-awareness at times, but I suppose that's kinda the point of showing this story of him growing up. It's also strange how the secondary cast just pops up for a chapter or three and then disappears again. It makes them all feel "unfinished" in a sense, because I want to know what they're up to off-screen but the author seems very set in only showing us the MC's perspective.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

There's three manga series that I would love to see get competent anime adaptations in the near future:

Skip and Loafer is a wholesome and understated comedy / SOL / romcom that has very endearing characters and some charming art. 9.5/10 please read. I really wish the missing chapters had translations on mdex.

Blue Period is a wonderfully drawn coming of age story about a delinquent finding his love of art and self-expression, and the side characters are really the star of the show. I can't wait to see where it goes. This series would need a really competent character designer to showcase the mangaka's characters and intent, but it could be fantastic as an animated series.

Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga, which is one of the few isekai series I've read that don't feel completely derivative and uninteresting. Modern Japanese Highschool girl gets ported back to Nobunaga-era Japan. Of course she leverages her knowledge to great effect, but still has to deal with the social and physical realities of that time period. It's a fun read, and would make a great series I think! It also serves as a nice Japanese history lesson.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

this one has an anime next season fyi

:aaaaa: Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea. Sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17YXAQoyH2Q

GorfZaplen posted:

Hello ADTRW. I am your new IK. The mod staff of this website haven't yet recognized me, but I'm sure this will all be resolved in a little while. I hope we can all have fun and post about anime together :)

Huh, cheers but I thought that was supposed to be Namtab.

wait what did you do to namtab, oh god oh gently caress

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The noble culture of my homeland western PA, chomping down Sheetz food while wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Daedalus1134 posted:

Thanks for this. I just read through all that exists of Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan in one sitting. I'll have to check out the other two also.

My pleasure, it was one of those things that I clicked randomly on mangadex many months ago and ended up following, among dozens of random clicks that I didn't even bother to read a second chapter of.

DoubleDonut posted:

Skip and Loafer's been licensed by Seven Seas so we should get those missing chapters again sooner or later

Oh wow, physical print release?! I'm buying it, awesome ty.