Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
humans have been playing with early rockets forever, but it wasn't until ww2 that modern rocketry took off. now we have vtol rockets, we've got reusable rockets; rockets that are equally useful for the glory of either manned spaceflight OR ending humanity! they are the firebreathing flying dragons of yore, brought to life. i think they're amazing machines that are also figurative and literal embodiments of national-level dickmeasuring contests, so lets see some rocketpics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i love the pgm11, look at this beautiful example of a redstone-mercury rocket. so awesome we had to paint 'UNITED STATES' on it twice its basically a nazi v2 under the hood :ssh:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that rockets making me hungry. here is another relic of our cold war past the real relic being the fremont neighborhood itself lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Base Emitter posted:

You stand next to this thing and you really get a sense of the enormous balls it took to be an early astronaut. Sure the Saturn V is impressive, but the Redstone is so goddamned small you realize its just a missile with a dude instead of a warhead.

https://i.imgur.com/CaXSu6e.mp4

early astronauts were all(?) hotshot test pilots before they joined the space program - it could very well be that riding a stick, farting fire, into space was probably safer than what they were used to testing

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that's pretty rad for a small-scale project! rocketry is amazingly accessible these days imho.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Phanatic posted:

poo poo, we didn't talk about NSWRs yet. I have a 10-hour layover so I'll go first.

NSWR = nuclear salt water rocket. No, not a nuclear (salt water) rocket, but a (nuclear salt) water rocket. Basically what you do is you turn fissile fuel (uranium-235, plutonium-239, etc) into a salt to make it nice and water soluble, and you put it into a bunch of boron tubes inside a biiiig boron-lined tank, and you dissolve the salt at such a concentration that, due to the boron sucking up neutrons, it is sub-critical and will not go boom. Then, and here's the crucial part, you pump it out of the tank, at which point it is not surrounded by boron sucking up neutrons, and so it goes prompt critical and fissions.

So it's sort of like Orion, in that your rocket's being propelled by nuclear explosions. But instead of one after another in series like Orion, it is a constant nuclear explosion happening just downstream of your rocket nozzle.

The specific impulse is simply absurd, a 2% solution of 20%-enriched uranium gets you 6700 seconds and almost 3 million pounds of thrust. The exhaust is of course hideously radioactive, but since the exhaust velocity is comfortably in excess of solar escape velocity, all you have to do is not point the nozzle at anything you care about. If you want to get really ridiculous, enrich your uranium to 90%, which would increase your fission yield from about 0.1% to 90%, and now your exhaust velocity is something like 1.5% light speed, your specific impulse is *482,000 seconds*, and you can deliver a payload of 300 tons to Alpha Centauri in about 120 years, using magsails to brake at the other end.
Stop, stop, I can only get so erect :awesome:

I don't know offhand but are heavy elements like uranium available in reasonable quantities off planet like the astroid belt? Seems safer to gather it than launch all that material with a musk rocket.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Here is an typical example of top notch Nazi engineering instead of just pouring resources into endless mosins and t34s like a smart country who believes in the one true religion, the Me 163 Komet.

Designed as an interceptor to try and stop allied bombing campaigns, it featured 1 pilot and an 8-10 minute flight time. It didn't sound like a particularly survivable combat vehicle, but I bet it was a hell of a ride (if you weren't melted by a fuel spill before takeoff).

From the wiki on the rocket engine in the plane:

quote:

The ultimate solution to the throttling problem was the B and C series of the engine. These engines used two combustion chambers, the original one (retroactively given the name Hauptofen), and a second, smaller Marschofen chamber directly beneath the main Hauptofen chamber, tuned to provide the cruise power needed for high-speed level flight, about 400 kilograms-force (3,900 N; 880 lbf). This chamber provided that power at peak efficiency, so it did not suffer from the problems found while throttling on the original models. The throttle on the original combustion chamber was removed, and throttling was instead provided by turning the main engine on and off. This new version dramatically improved cruise endurance, with overall flight times improving from eight to twelve minutes, a 50% improvement. It was also mechanically simpler as the turbopumps were no longer throttled.
it's like an old ibm-clone PC with a turbo button that you can click to go fast, i bet that felt real good when it fired up suddenly

I couldn't imagine just how absolutely terrifying piloting this oversized fuel cell farting out enough of a fireball to propel you into air combat over germany against US bomber formations. for at least 8 minutes, the rodeo is on.

idk, from a shitposting about rockets perspective maybe its actually a lil bit dreamy?? there were a number of confirmed kills (also enemy kills!!), which has gotta count for something, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Lol I looked it up and it wasn't some fake Nazi, it was (a whole team of!) actual card carrying Nazi's who definitely helped set up slave labour production lines for their previous rockets.

this is both absolutely precious, and a sign sign we've diluted the term "nazi" a bit lmao. early US space program was ran by nazis, literal nazis we captured from the third reich and saved them from stalin's grasp, and one might even say the space program in the US went downhill once they all started retiring or dying off. for specific example, i think the space shuttle program would have been much more successful if von braun had been alive to see it through.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 27, 2021